Bramley Apple Chutney for Christmas

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
Royd

Bramley Apple Chutney for Christmas

Post by Royd » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:27 pm

http://quailbymail.blogspot.com/2009/04 ... utney.html

The quintessential British apple is the Bramley and my personal favourite. Husband and I only buy British apples and we enjoy Bramleys all winter long to make pies, apple sauce and apple crumble. 2009 marks the Bicentenary of the Bramley apple, which has a fascinating history. Visit the official website for the Bramley apple and read about the fascinating history and try some great new recipes. Here is my recipe for Bramley Apple Chutney. This recipe makes about seven x 350ml jars of fantastic homemade chutney. It's a leisurely all day affair to make chutney with plenty of chopping and stirring therapy, but well worth it in the end because friends and family never, ever refuse a handout. Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's chutney recipe is very similar to mine.

1.5kg Bramley apples (about 5 or 6 large ones)
500g onions
500g sultanas or raisins
750g sugar (Demerara perhaps)
500ml of white wine vinegar
Zest and juice of two lemons
1 small chilli
1 t ground ginger
1 t ground allspice
½ t cinnamon
Pinch of ground cloves
½ t sea salt
8 peppercorns
1 T of mustard seed

To sterilise jars place in a cool oven – 130oC for 15-20mins. Do this step shortly before you want to pour your chutney into your hot jars.

You'll need your largest pot with at least 3 litres of volume. Peel, core and chop apples into 1" cubes and add them to the pot and turn the heat on high. Finely chop the onions and add them to the pot. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil. Stir until sugar is dissolved, then reduce heat. Simmer very gently with bubbles barely breaking the surface, for at least 4hrs and keep an eye on it, stirring your chutney every half hour. If there is too much heat, your chutney will scorch and burn on the bottom of the pot...spoiling the flavour so make sure the heat isn't too high. When you first start timing your chutney it will seem quite syrupy and thin--don't worry the next 4hrs is all about the reduction and melding of all those vibrant flavours. The raisins will balloon and caramelise--gorgeous! The chutney will gradually change colour from gold to dark chestnut during the cooking process. Your chutney is ready when you can draw a spoon across the surface and it leaves a definite track. If your jars are not yet freshly sterilised and hot, do this step now. Ladle or funnel your hot chutney into hot, sterilised jars with clean plastic-lined lids. Label your jars and store in a cool, dry place and leave to cure for at least 1 month--perfect at 3 months. You can cheat and have a ploughmans lunch with a bit of your spare chutney tomorrow and dream of a great chutney future!!!