Mince Pies

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
Royd

Mince Pies

Post by Royd » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:50 pm

Mrs. Beeton’s 1861 Mince Pie Recipe

Ingredients For Mrs Beeton's Mince Pies 1861
For the mincemeat recipe: makes enough for about 36 mince pies.
200g shredded suet (fresh or packet)
100g of minced beef (lean)
1 large Bramley apple (300g) peeled, cored and chopped small
200g currants
150g raisins
150g candied citrus peel
100ml brandy
1 lemon, zest and juice
200g soft brown sugar (demerara or muscovado)
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg

Ingredients For Mincemeat From 1861
Recipe Method:
To make the mincemeat:

Mixing And Stirring The Mincemeat
See this post for more information on making this mince meat: Mincemeat 1861. If you are using fresh suet, chop up finely and shred. Combine all the ingredients (except the brandy) in a large non-metallic mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. Make sure everything is cut up small and then evenly mixed in, and the lean beef mince is small and broken up. Pour over the brandy and give another good stir. Cover the bowl and leave overnight in the fridge.
The next day sterilise one or two air tight preserving jars. Preheat the oven to 110°C. Wash the jars and lids well in hot clean water and place on a baking tray (do not put any plastic or rubber seals in the oven). Put the jars and lids in the hot oven for 10 minutes. After leaving the jars to cool, divide the mincemeat between the jars, seal and label. You can store the mincemeat in a sterilised jar in the fridge for up to two weeks.
To make the mince pies:
Tip: To make the mince pies, you will need a 10cm round, plain pastry cutter (or you can use a small ramekin) a smaller 8cm round, plain pastry cutter and a deep 12-hole muffin tin or deep pie tin. To store, cool the mince pies, then keep in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 5 days.
Preheat the oven to 190°C
Divide the puff pastry into 2 unequal pieces, about two-thirds to one-third (500g will just about give you enough for 12 pies, if you roll the pastry out thin). On a lightly floured surface, roll out the large piece of pastry to about 3mm thick. Using a 10cm round, plain cutter (or ramekin), stamp or cut out 12 circles, re-rolling the trimmings, if necessary. Carefully mould into a deep pie tin – don’t worry if the pastry bunches together slightly, simply smooth out with your fingers. Divide the mincemeat between the pastry cases, filling each one three-quarters full.

Cutting Out The Pastry Base For The Mince Pies
Roll out the smaller piece of pastry as before on a floured work surface and use an 8cm round, plain cutter to stamp out 12 lids. Brush the edges of the pastry bases with milk, lay a pastry lid on top and press the edges together to seal. Brush each mince pie with a little beaten egg white and sprinkle over some powdered icing sugar. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes at 190C or until golden and piping hot. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then carefully transfer to a wire rack.

Fatherducque

Re: Mince Pies

Post by Fatherducque » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:54 pm

I will attempt this after my remodeling is done!

Thanks!

I love mince pie.

I wonder how the Yankees thought of this?

Maybe they stole it from us, shredded the documents, and liquidated the pastry chefs...

That's it!

"Hello...Mr. Assange please...It is about mince pies....yes, I'll hold..."

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:21 pm

Gee, I have never seen a Bramley apple. I will have to Google and see what I can replace it with????

:wave:

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:05 pm

I love mince pie, but I never make it anymore, because nobody else in the house likes it. The weirdos! :mrgreen:

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:01 pm

I don't think I have ever had a mince pie. :headscratch:

How come the whole recipe is in grams and milliliters except the nutmeg? Can you convert that to American for me? ;)

I thought suet was something you fed the birds. :mrgreen:

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:18 pm

tattulip wrote:I don't think I have ever had a mince pie. :headscratch:

How come the whole recipe is in grams and milliliters except the nutmeg? Can you convert that to American for me? ;)

I thought suet was something you fed the birds. :mrgreen:
They might, but it's fat, and it is used in recipes.

streetsoldier
General von Nuisance

Post by streetsoldier » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:26 pm

But what if the currant's too strong, and one can't swim?