Christmas Day Dinner - My Contribution!

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christmas Day Dinner - My Contribution!

Post by Pixie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:54 pm

Decadent Trifle

INGREDIENTS
FOR THE GINGER CAKE:
8 tbsp. unsalted butter, plus more for pan
1 3/4 cups flour, plus more for pan
3/4 cup Lyle's golden syrup or dark corn syrup
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 eggs
1 tbsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 cup fresh or frozen lingonberries or halved cranberries

FOR THE CUSTARDS:
3/4 cup sugar
7 tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
4 egg yolks
2 eggs
4 cups milk
8 oz. 70 percent dark chocolate, finely chopped
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed
3 tsp. vanilla extract
8 oz. white chocolate, finely chopped
10 oz. fresh blueberries
2 tbsp. sweet oloroso sherry
12 oz. fresh raspberries
2 tbsp. kirsch
1 cup seedless raspberry jam

FOR THE SYLLABUB:
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. sweet oloroso sherry
1 tsp. cognac or brandy
1/2 tsp. lemon zest
1 cup heavy cream

DIRECTIONS
1. Make the ginger cake: Heat oven to 325°. Butter and flour an 8" square baking pan; set aside. Heat butter, golden syrup, and brown sugar in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Add cream and eggs and whisk until smooth; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups flour, ground ginger, baking soda, and salt; add to syrup mixture and stir until just combined. Toss remaining flour with lingonberries in a small bowl and add to batter; stir to combine. Pour into a baking pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, 45–50 minutes. Transfer to rack and let cool. Unmold cake, cut half the cake into 1" cubes; set aside. Reserve remaining cake for another use.

2. Make the custards: Whisk together 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tbsp. cornstarch, and 1/4 tsp. salt in a 2-qt. saucepan; add 2 egg yolks and 1 egg and whisk until smooth. Add 2 cups milk and heat over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring often, and cook until mixture thickens, 1–2 minutes. Remove from heat and add dark chocolate in four batches, whisking after each addition until smooth. Add 2 tbsp. butter and 2 tsp. vanilla and whisk until smooth; transfer to a bowl, cover surface with plastic wrap, and refrigerate dark chocolate custard until chilled. Whisk together remaining sugar, cornstarch, and salt in another 2-qt. saucepan; add remaining egg yolks and egg and whisk until smooth. Add remaining milk and heat over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring often, and cook until mixture thickens, 1–2 minutes. Remove from heat and add white chocolate in four batches, whisking after each addition until smooth; add remaining butter and vanilla and whisk until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and cover surface with plastic wrap; let cool to room temperature. Fold blueberries into white chocolate custard and set aside.

3. Assemble trifle: Arrange ginger cake cubes snugly in bottom of a 3-qt. glass trifle dish or bowl; drizzle with sherry. In a medium bowl, toss raspberries with kirsch and add to the top of the cake in a single layer. Spoon white chocolate custard over raspberries and smooth top with a rubber spatula; refrigerate until set, 30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the raspberry jam in a small saucepan over medium heat until loose; pour through a fine strainer set over a small bowl and let cool for 10 minutes. Pour jam over white chocolate custard and spread evenly. Return trifle to refrigerator and chill until set, 2 hours. Stir dark chocolate custard until smooth, spoon over jam, and smooth with spatula; cover dish with plastic wrap; chill for 8 hours.

4. An hour before you plan to serve trifle, make syllabub: Whisk together sugar, sherry, cognac, and lemon zest in a large bowl until sugar dissolves. Add cream and whisk until mixture holds peaks but is not stiff; spoon syllabub over dark chocolate custard, creating swirls and peaks with spoon, and chill until ready to serve.

SERVES 10–12

Pixie

Re: Christmas Day Dinner - My Contribution!

Post by Pixie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:55 pm

Well, here is the picture!

It was featured in my December Saveur magazine and everyone (all 21) voted yeah! This will be my only contribution as it will take most of the day! I will make it on Christmas Eve as trifles really need 24 hours for the flavors to meld!

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:12 pm

:confusedL That looks to good to eat! Wish I could have a small taste.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:20 pm

I had to look up Syllabub :embarrassed:

But I thought this was interesting! (from Wiki)
The recipe traces back to the time of Tudor Dynasty that ruled England from 1485 until 1603.[6] In its early variations it was a drink made of new milk and cider, with the cows milked directly into an ale pot. This created a frothy cappuccino like effect. A variation known as an Everlasting Syllabub, allows for the cream to rise and thicken by letting it stand for several days.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:36 pm

Syllabub dub, 3 puddings in a tub! :lol:

Now THAT's a Trifle! Looks much better than that recipe my brother-in-law always makes. His uses all store-bought components like lady fingers and Etenmen's pound cake.

I wonder how this would be without the booz? I'm off alcohol these days, plus my family never cared for desserts that had alcohol in them. Guess I'll have to experiment. :TTC:

streetsoldier
General von Nuisance

Post by streetsoldier » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:11 pm

As long as Royd doesn't post his "Spotted Dick" recipe again, I'm happy. :puke:

But then, there's "Smoking Bishop" from Charles Dicken's A Christmas Carol...

5 unpeeled oranges
1 unpeeled grapefruit
36 cloves
1/4 pound of sugar
2 bottles of red wine
1 bottle of port

Wash the fruit and oven bake until brownish. Turn once.
Put fruit into a warmed earthenware bowl with six cloves stuck into each.

Add the sugar and pour in the wine - not the port.

Cover and leave in a warm place for a day.

Squeeze the fruit into the wine and strain.

Add the port and heat. DO NOT BOIL!

Serve "smoking" warm. Yield: 15 to 20 servings

:cool:

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:48 pm

tattulip wrote::confusedL That looks to good to eat! Wish I could have a small taste.
I will have a large taste :mrgreen: .

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:44 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:Syllabub dub, 3 puddings in a tub! :lol:

Now THAT's a Trifle! Looks much better than that recipe my brother-in-law always makes. His uses all store-bought components like lady fingers and Etenmen's pound cake.

I wonder how this would be without the booz? I'm off alcohol these days, plus my family never cared for desserts that had alcohol in them. Guess I'll have to experiment. :TTC:

Dave, I have no doubt it would be fine without the liqueurs. You may want to substitute a natural cherry juice, (to make up for the liquid).

For the brandy/cognac....maybe an extract? Vanilla or Almond????
Last edited by Pixie on Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:46 pm

:lolh: I would love it if you could have both little and big tastes of it! :lolh:

:)

streetsoldier
General von Nuisance

Post by streetsoldier » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:34 pm

What...no smoking bishop? OK, how about some smoking nuns?

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:13 pm

Edisto Eggnog
MAKES 2 - 2 1⁄2 QUARTS

Author Shane Mitchell's grandfather use to make this eggnog for holiday parties on Edisto Island in South Carolina. Anyone concerned about consuming raw eggs should forgo this drink.

INGREDIENTS
15 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
1 1⁄2 cups bourbon
1⁄4 - 1⁄2 cup dark rum
1⁄2 tsp. salt
1⁄2 cup half and half
1 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
nutmeg

DIRECTIONS
1. Put egg yolks and sugar into a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer on high speed until thick and pale yellow. Mix in bourbon, preferably small-batch, and dark rum.

2. Beat egg whites in another bowl on high speed until stiff, not dry, peaks form, then gradually fold into egg yolk mixture. Fold in salt. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

3. Beat egg mixture until smooth; set aside. Beat half-and-half in a large bowl until frothy, then fold into egg mixture.

4. Beat 1 1⁄3 cups heavy cream in same bowl until soft peaks form, then fold into egg mixture. Serve eggnog garnished with freshly grated nutmeg.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:14 pm

I have found some punch and eggnog recipes on Saveur! My favorite magazine! I hope you find one you like and can use!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:17 pm

Captain Radcliffe’s Punch
MAKES 3 QUARTS

This smooth-drinking white wine– and cognac-based punch is inspired by one described in a poem by the 17th-century English army captain and courtier Alexander Radcliffe. As with many punches, this one tastes the best when chilled by a single large block of ice instead of fast-melting cubes, which water down the punch too quickly.

INGREDIENTS
4 lemons
1⁄2 cup sugar
1 1⁄2 cups sweet white wine, preferably sauternes
1 750-ml bottle of brandy, preferably VSOP cognac
6 cups chilled water
Freshly grated nutmeg

DIRECTIONS
1. Using a peeler, peel lemons, taking off as little white pith as possible. Transfer peels to a heavy bowl; reserve lemons. Add sugar; use a muddler or a wooden spoon to vigorously crush sugar and peels together until the sugar turns faintly yellow and slushy (see Mastering Muddling).

2. Juice the reserved lemons and add the juice to the bowl along with the peels. Stir until the sugar has dissolved completely. Set a fine-mesh sieve over a punch bowl; strain the lemon and sugar mixture into the punch bowl; discard solids. Stir in the wine and the brandy. Chill. To serve, stir in water and place a large block of ice (see Holidays on Ice) in the bowl. Garnish with nutmeg.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:19 pm

Mastering Muddling

Muddling sugar and citrus peel is a technique called for in many classic punch recipes, including ours for Regent's Punch and Captain Radcliffe's Punch.

First, use a vegetable peeler to remove the peel of a lemon or an orange in 3⁄4-inch-wide strips, taking care to avoid the bitter white pith. Next, add the strips to a heavy bowl along with the amount of sugar specified in the recipe. Finally, use a muddler—the small, baseball bat–shaped stick used by bartenders—or a wooden spoon to vigorously crush the sugar and citrus peel together. The abrasive sugar helps rupture the citrus's cell walls and release the flavorful oils within. You'll know that's happened when the sugar takes on the color of the peels and becomes moist, slushy in texture, and intensely fragrant. The result is a concentrated, aromatic base that cuts the astringency of the alcohol in the punch and lends a bright, pleasing taste.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:21 pm

Regent’s Punch
MAKES 3 QUARTS

This tea-infused champagne punch makes an elegant centerpiece for any festive occasion.

INGREDIENTS
1 cup sugar
1 cup cubed pineapple
2 lemons
2 oranges
1 seville orange (also called bitter or sour orange)
2 green tea bags (or 2 tsp. green tea leaves)
1 cup brandy, preferably VSOP cognac
1⁄4 cup dark Jamaican rum
1⁄4 cup arrack liquor, preferably Batavia-Arrack van Oosten, or cachaça
2 750-ml bottles brut champagne, chilled
Freshly grated nutmeg

DIRECTIONS
1. In a 1-qt. saucepan, combine 1⁄2 cup sugar and 1⁄4 cup water. Stir over high heat until sugar dissolves; transfer to a bowl along with pineapple. Allow to macerate in refrigerator for at least 8 hours to make a pineapple syrup. Strain and reserve; discard solids.

2. Using a peeler, peel lemons, oranges, and seville orange, taking off as little white pith as possible. Transfer peels to a heavy bowl; reserve fruit. Add remaining sugar; use a muddler or a wooden spoon to vigorously crush sugar and peels together until sugar turns faintly yellow and slushy (see Mastering Muddling).

3. In a medium bowl, steep tea in 2 cups of boiling water for 5 minutes. Strain tea over lemon and sugar mixture; stir until sugar dissolves. Juice reserved fruit into tea mixture. Strain through a sieve into another bowl; discard solids. Stir in pineapple syrup, brandy, rum, and arrack. Chill mixture. To serve, combine mixture and champagne in a punch bowl along with a large block of ice (see Holidays on Ice). Garnish with nutmeg.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:23 pm

Flaming Punch
(Punschglühbowle)
MAKES 3 QUARTS

The name of this flaming red wine punch translates from the German as punch glow bowl. This recipe is based on one in the 1905 collection Coolers and Punches from the German Army's Maneuvers and Field Deployment.

INGREDIENTS
3 bottles light-bodied red wine, such as beaujolais
1 750-ml bottle arrack liquor, preferably Batavia-Arrack van Oosten or cachaça
1⁄2 cup sugar
1 seville orange (also called bitter or sour orange) thinly sliced, seeds removed
1 lemon, thinly sliced, seeds removed

DIRECTIONS
1. In a 6-qt. pot, bring red wine and arrack to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in the sugar along with the orange and lemon slices. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Transfer the punch to a heavy heatproof bowl. (A non-heatproof bowl may crack.)

2. Dip a small metal ladle into the hot punch; touch a lit match to the surface of the punch in the ladle to ignite it. Pour the flaming punch back into the bowl. Serve immediately so that the punch remains aflame in the glass.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:27 pm

Milk Punch
MAKES 1

A frothy, soothing eye-opener, this milk punch cocktail gets foamier the longer you shake it.

INGREDIENTS
2 oz. milk
2 oz. half-and-half
2 tsp. superfine sugar
1 1/2 oz. VSOP cognac
1/2 tsp. absinthe or green Chartreuse
1/8 tsp. grated nutmeg

DIRECTIONS
1. Combine milk, half-and-half, and sugar in a cocktail shaker; stir to dissolve sugar.

2. Add cognac, absinthe or green Chartreuse, and 1 cup cracked ice; cover and shake for15–20 seconds.

3. Strain into a highball glass full of ice and sprinkle nutmeg over top.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:31 pm

Martinique Milk Punch
SERVES 4

Milk punch, introduced to the British Isles by merchants from the East India Company, was fashionable in England in the early 18th century. This recipe is an adaptation of one that appears in Esquire's Handbook for Hosts (Grosset & Dunlap, 1949).

INGREDIENTS
3 egg yolks
1 quart milk
1⁄4 cup sugar
1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1⁄4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
1⁄4 tsp. vanilla extract
Strips of zest from 1 lemon
3⁄4 cup aged rum (rhum vieux)

DIRECTIONS
1. Put egg yolks into a large bowl and set aside. Pour milk into a small pot and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add the milk to the yolks in a slow, steady stream while whisking constantly. Add sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract, and lemon zest. Stir well to combine.

2. Add rum, stir well, and strain. Pour the punch into cups and serve while still hot.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:35 pm

Tom and Jerry

INGREDIENTS
2 eggs, separated
1⁄8 tsp. cream of tartar
1 1⁄2 cups plus 2 tsp. dark rum
2⁄3 cup superfine sugar
1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1⁄8 tsp. ground allspice
1⁄8 tsp. ground cloves
4 1⁄2 cups milk
1 1⁄2 cups cognac, preferably VSOP
Freshly grated nutmeg

DIRECTIONS
1. In a large bowl, whisk egg whites and cream of tartar to stiff peaks.

2. In another bowl, whisk yolks, 2 tsp. rum, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves until thick. Working in 2 batches, fold egg whites into yolk mixture. Cover bowl with plastic wrap; chill batter.

3. To serve, heat milk in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium-low heat; keep warm. Put 1 heaping tbsp. batter into a mug; stir in 1–2 tbsp. each of cognac and rum. Fill mug with 6 tbsp. milk; stir until frothy and garnish with nutmeg. Repeat.

SERVES 12

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:38 pm

Eggnog
SERVES 6

Eggnog has become the quintessential Christmas drink—holiday parties just wouldn't be the same without it—but the ubiquitous store version doesn't hold a candle to this preparation.

INGREDIENTS
2 cups milk
3/4 cup sugar
Pinch salt
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
4 eggs, separated
1 cup bourbon
2 oz. dark rum
1 cup cold heavy cream
Freshly grated nutmeg

DIRECTIONS
1. Put milk, 1/2 cup of the sugar, and salt into a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into pan, then add pod. Heat over medium heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved, about 10 minutes.

2. Whisk egg yolks in a mixing bowl until pale yellow. Slowly whisk 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into yolks. Gradually add egg–milk mixture back into milk mixture in saucepan and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Strain into a large bowl and set aside to let cool. Add bourbon and rum, cover, and refrigerate eggnog until cold.

3. Whisk egg whites in a mixing bowl until frothy, then gradually add remaining sugar, whisking constantly until stiff but not dry peaks form. In another bowl, whisk cream until stiff but not dry peaks form. Fold whites and cream into eggnog. Pour into cups and sprinkle with nutmeg.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:39 pm

I have never made homemade eggnog before! I think, for this Christmas (it may have to be New Year's) it will be homemade! :pixie: :pixie:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:43 pm

Book Club Sangria
SERVES 6 – 8

This sweet-tart wine punch was invented by members of the Junior League of Houston book club in the 1970s.

INGREDIENTS
3⁄4 cup sugar
1 750-ml bottle fruity red wine, such as pinot noir
1⁄4 cup brandy
1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
1 cup ginger ale
1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
4 thin slices each of orange, lemon, and lime
1 fresh peach, pitted and sliced

DIRECTIONS
1. Bring sugar and 1 cup water to a boil in a 1-qt. saucepan. Let cool and transfer to a pitcher; add wine, brandy, and citrus juices. Chill.

2. Before serving, add ginger ale, pineapple, citrus slices, and peaches. Stir and serve over ice.

cjelephant

Post by cjelephant » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:19 pm

Pixie wrote:Well, here is the picture!

It was featured in my December Saveur magazine and everyone (all 21) voted yeah! This will be my only contribution as it will take most of the day! I will make it on Christmas Eve as trifles really need 24 hours for the flavors to meld!

I love trifles. That looks like an outstanding version.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:41 pm

Pixie wrote:Book Club Sangria
SERVES 6 – 8

This sweet-tart wine punch was invented by members of the Junior League of Houston book club in the 1970s.

INGREDIENTS
3⁄4 cup sugar
1⁄4 cup brandy
1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
1 cup ginger ale

DIRECTIONS
1. Bring sugar and 1 cup water to a boil in a 1-qt. saucepan. Let cool and transfer to a pitcher; add wine, brandy, and citrus juices. Chill.

2. Before serving, add ginger ale, pineapple, citrus slices, and peaches. Stir and serve over ice.
When I was at the Restaurant School in Philly, way back in 1981, we made Sangria. They recommended using the cheap jug wines like Carlo Rossi because there is so much fruit taste that you can't really appreciate better quality wines. In fact, I think the cheaper, stronger flavor of some of the jug wines works better for Sangria when blended with fresh citrus juices. You kind of need a strong red wine flavor to punch through the fruit and sugar. Fun stuff! :TTC:

This would be a great "Adult Punch" for Christmas and New Years gatherings. :yes:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:03 pm

cjelephant wrote:
Pixie wrote:Well, here is the picture!

I love trifles. That looks like an outstanding version.
Oh, me too! It is one of my all time favorite desserts! Right along with Creme Brulee and Chocolate Mousse!!!

This one is perfect for Christmas with the ginger cake! Just perfect!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:05 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:
Pixie wrote:Book Club Sangria
SERVES 6 – 8

INGREDIENTS
3⁄4 cup sugar
1⁄4 cup brandy
1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
1 cup ginger ale

DIRECTIONS

When I was at the Restaurant School in Philly, way back in 1981, we made Sangria. They recommended using the cheap jug wines like Carlo Rossi because there is so much fruit taste that you can't really appreciate better quality wines. In fact, I think the cheaper, stronger flavor of some of the jug wines works better for Sangria when blended with fresh citrus juices. You kind of need a strong red wine flavor to punch through the fruit and sugar. Fun stuff! :TTC:

This would be a great "Adult Punch" for Christmas and New Years gatherings. :yes:
I love Sangria! I have never had it other than in the summer and as you say with less expensive wines but I don't see any reason not to have it at Christmas!

Either for Christmas or for New Year's Eve I am going to make the homemade eggnog! I have to try that!

Royd

Post by Royd » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:50 am

Stinking Bishop...

Now for some nice....

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:44 pm

:lolh: :embarrassed: :lolh:

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:19 pm

Royd wrote:
Stinking Bishop...

Now for some nice....

You know Royd, I would probably love that. All my favorite cheeses smell bad. :lol:

Royd

Post by Royd » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:13 pm

All the best cheeses do have a whiff about them .