TURKEY

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

TURKEY

Post by tattulip » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:12 am

So how DO you make your T-Day turkey? I tried the brine method last year. The kids didn't really like it and it was a lot of work! I usually just put it in a big roaster, covered and bake at 325 for however long. It's not really very moist that way. :ohwell:

LandLover

Re: TURKEY

Post by LandLover » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:56 am

I call my mother and say, bring turkey.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:27 am

:noparty:

My kids think my turkey is dry. So I brined it last year and they didn't like it because it was non-traditional. So, I guess I will go back to making dry turkey. :dunno:

I Googled "how to roast a turkey" and I there are about as many pages out there with suggestions as there are people in the world! :teehee:

Some say cook it with the breast down. Seems so unnatural! Although, for a post menopausal 54 year old woman, maybe that IS the natural way - breast down. :lol:

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:30 pm

LandLover wrote:I call my mother and say, bring turkey.

:lolh: I like that idea! :lolh:

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:34 pm

You can use an injection method... or you can spread butter under the skin ALL OVER and LOTS of butter.

Never cook the turkey at a temperature over 325 and always remove the turkey BEFORE it hits 165 in the breast. Remove it somewhere between 158 and 160... tent it and let it rest at least 20 to 30 minutes. That will allow the turkey to continue to cook and for the juices to redistribute throughout the turkey.

:cheer: :pixie: :cheer:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:42 pm

Pixie wrote:You can use an injection method... or you can spread butter under the skin ALL OVER and LOTS of butter.

Never cook the turkey at a temperature over 325 and always remove the turkey BEFORE it hits 165 in the breast. Remove it somewhere between 158 and 160... tent it and let it rest at least 20 to 30 minutes. That will allow the turkey to continue to cook and for the juices to redistribute throughout the turkey.

Precisely...155 to 160 in the Breast, not a degree beyond.
I also Baste the Bird with a Slurry using a make shift mini-mop every 15 to 20 minutes. And as Pixie writes, Once the Bird starts to brown, place a heavy duty foil tent over it [loose].

I also recommend stuffing the Turkey only with Left-Over aeromatics, pieces of Orange or other Citrus, Celery, Onion/Leek, Parsley etc. discards.

Always make your Stuffing [the one you'll serve] in a separate casserole [can do the night or 2 nights before]. It's safer.

Brining: Never brine a Turkey that's already 'Injected', and most of them are. Actually Brining is usually only recommended for Free-Range birds. The only Brine I would attempt is a Buttermilk Brine. The other aeromatic/vinegar/salt based brines tend to make the turkey taste like Ham [have heard that complaint].

streetsoldier
General von Nuisance

Post by streetsoldier » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:16 pm

Strange it is, to be discussing this while watching "The Donner Party" on cable TV... :dinner:

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:23 pm

tattulip wrote::noparty:

My kids think my turkey is dry. So I brined it last year and they didn't like it because it was non-traditional. So, I guess I will go back to making dry turkey. :dunno:

I Googled "how to roast a turkey" and I there are about as many pages out there with suggestions as there are people in the world! :teehee:

Some say cook it with the breast down. Seems so unnatural! Although, for a post menopausal 54 year old woman, maybe that IS the natural way - breast down. :lol:
I always cook mine breast dow for part of the time and it comes out moist.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:31 pm

I cook mine in the smoker until the breast meat is 180 degrees. The white meat is not juicy, but it is moist and tender.

I rub the turkey inside and out with a mix of salt, tarragon and rosemary. I then stuff the cavities with celery and onions. I put a couple of bay leaves in the water pan and smoke for about one hour per pound.

Since I started using the smoker, the family will not oven cook a turkey.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:23 pm

Breast Down for awhile is helpful. In fact some place Ice Bags over the Breast before Roasting to drastically drop the breast Temperature.

As mentioned, I place a tent over the breast about half way through, and Mop it constantly with a special liquid (every 15 minutes). And so important to get the bird out of there when Breast is about 155 Degrees, 160 max (it'll rise 5 to 6 degrees after it's out).

One reason it's best to stuff a Turkey [at least this is what I've found], is you don't want the bird cooking from the inside out AND from the outside in. Not that it can't be done, but it takes a lot of skill and attention to do this.

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Pixie wrote:You can use an injection method... or you can spread butter under the skin ALL OVER and LOTS of butter.

I pretty much follow what you have said with one exception. For the first 20 minutes I bake it at 425, then I reduce the temp. to 325, and cover it with foil. Lots of butter and basting. I have never had a dry turkey, not even the white meat. Now my sil does the turkey as I have pretty much retired from cooking, and I just go down there and eat. :whistle:

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:57 pm

I just scored my third 37 cent/lb. turkey of the week! :cheer:

The local groceries are having coupon wars! I got to the $20 limit by stocking up on $3.79/lb. Community ( :love: ) Coffee. :thumbsup:

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:58 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:

I pretty much follow what you have said with one exception. For the first 20 minutes I bake it at 425, then I reduce the temp. to 325, and cover it with foil. Lots of butter and basting. I have never had a dry turkey, not even the white meat. Now my sil does the turkey as I have pretty much retired from cooking, and I just go down there and eat. :whistle:

I made a mistake here. :old: I do cook it at 425 for 20 minutes, BUT I do put foil over the turkey. When the 20 minutes is over, I put the heat down to 325, and THEN I remove the foil.
Sorry for the confusion IALU.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet

Post by tattulip » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:59 pm

I read online not to baste a turkey. It said it only gets about 1/4 inch into the bird anyway and also lowers the oven temp every time you open the door thus making it take longer to cook.
I bought a meat thermometer. I think I overcook it so I am going to take it out when the stuffing reaches 160 (I believe that is what I read). Also, I bought a frozen Butterball turkey this time instead of the fresh ones I have been buying the last few years. Maybe that will make a difference? :dunno:

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet

Post by tattulip » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:17 pm

iamlookingup wrote:Thanks, CY1!

Next question, everyone...how do you make perfect turkey gravy? :dunno:

take 1/4 cup cold water and add 2 T. flour. Shake or stir until mixed. Slowly add to 1 cup of the broth from the turkey and cook and stir until thickened. I do this in a skillet. Salt and pepper to taste.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:18 pm

tattulip wrote:
iamlookingup wrote:Thanks, CY1!

Next question, everyone...how do you make perfect turkey gravy? :dunno:

take 1/4 cup cold water and add 2 T. flour. Shake or stir until mixed. Slowly add to 1 cup of the broth from the turkey and cook and stir until thickened. I do this in a skillet. Salt and pepper to taste.
Boil giblets for one hour in seasoned water. Grind or chop fine.
Make a roux, then add drippings to taste, add giblets, and simmer until it tastes right. Season with a good seasoned salt (Best Stop, Tony Chachere's, Lawry's etc.).

When using a smoker, skim the oil from the top of the drip pan and use that instead of peanut/vegetable oil in the roux.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:17 am

tattulip wrote:I read online not to baste a turkey. It said it only gets about 1/4 inch into the bird anyway and also lowers the oven temp every time you open the door thus making it take longer to cook.
:
That should be proof not to believe everything you read on line. I will stick with what works. I have never used a meat thermometer either. The turkey is done when you take the end of the drumstick, move it back and forth. When it moves easily the turkey is done. My husbands grandmother and aunts showed me how to make a perfect turkey when I was a young bride. They were the best.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:11 am

iamlookingup wrote:
Fatherducque wrote:...Boil giblets for one hour in seasoned water. Grind or chop fine...
:shock:

What are giblets? (Can you tell I've never cooked a turkey? :embarrassed: )
The guts! :mrgreen:

Specifically the heart, liver and gizzard.

The are usually found wrapped in paper and stuffed in the crop of the bird. The crop is the cavity in the front where the neck used to be. NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO, REMOVE THE GIBLETS FROM THE CROP BEFORE YOU COOK THE TURKEY.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet

Post by tattulip » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:23 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
tattulip wrote:I read online not to baste a turkey. It said it only gets about 1/4 inch into the bird anyway and also lowers the oven temp every time you open the door thus making it take longer to cook.
:
That should be proof not to believe everything you read on line. I will stick with what works. I have never used a meat thermometer either. The turkey is done when you take the end of the drumstick, move it back and forth. When it moves easily the turkey is done. My husbands grandmother and aunts showed me how to make a perfect turkey when I was a young bride. They were the best.
Well, it doesn't SEEM like anything much would penetrate the skin to get into the meat.
:dunno:

What kind of pan do you cook your turkey in?

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:35 pm

tattulip wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
:
Well, it doesn't SEEM like anything much would penetrate the skin to get into the meat.
:dunno:

What kind of pan do you cook your turkey in?

Just a regular roasting pan, with a rack in it, nothing special or expensive. All I can tell you is that it works, and I have never tasted anybody's turkey that was moister than mine, and that includes the white meat. The first time my husbands grandmother and aunts showed me how to make turkey, I had to make them a promise. They did not want me to share the ingredients that went into the spices with anybody except a (last name) whether a true blood or married to one. I have respected that part. But I am sure the spices have nothing to do with how moist the turkey is. I do use a lot of butter.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet

Post by tattulip » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:39 am

My turkey was moist. :smokin:

For the last few years, I have been buying a fresh turkey from the local butcher. This year, I decided to buy a Butterball. I cooked it at 425 in an open pan (instead of the roaster I have always used) and then turned the heat down to 325. I put it in the oven at 6:30. The darn thing was done at 10:30. So I turned the heat way down to hold it until noon, when we were eating. Anyway, it was nice and moist. :thumbsup:
I made this huge 18 lb turkey for 10 people thinking that everyone would take home leftovers. Only my one son took leftovers. :doh:
Anyone need some turkey shipped to them? :mrgreen:

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:20 pm

iamlookingup wrote:Okay....now that I have turkey stock, what do I do with it? :headscratch:
Make soup :dinner: I'm cooking a turkey today and I'm going to make stock tomorrow, then make soup.

Solo

Post by Solo » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:41 am

tattulip wrote:My turkey was moist. :smokin:

For the last few years, I have been buying a fresh turkey from the local butcher. This year, I decided to buy a Butterball. I cooked it at 425 in an open pan (instead of the roaster I have always used) and then turned the heat down to 325. I put it in the oven at 6:30. The darn thing was done at 10:30. So I turned the heat way down to hold it until noon, when we were eating. Anyway, it was nice and moist. :thumbsup:
I made this huge 18 lb turkey for 10 people thinking that everyone would take home leftovers. Only my one son took leftovers. :doh:
Anyone need some turkey shipped to them? :mrgreen:
That's the secret to success for those of us without a "secret turkey recipe".
I've never had a dry "ButterBall" turkey.
I just rub it with corn oil and put it in a roasting pan at 325 for the appropriate time and it turns out perfect every time.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet

Post by tattulip » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:16 am

I made the most delicious turkey and noodles with the leftovers. I put the carcass in a big pot, covered it with water and simmered for a couple of hours. I took out the turkey and simmered the broth for awhile longer to get rid of some of the water. I added celery, onions and frozen noodles. I added some sage seasoning, pulled the turkey off the bones, but it up and added it to the soup. It was delicious!

Solo

Post by Solo » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:11 am

tattulip wrote:I made the most delicious turkey and noodles with the leftovers. I put the carcass in a big pot, covered it with water and simmered for a couple of hours. I took out the turkey and simmered the broth for awhile longer to get rid of some of the water. I added celery, onions and frozen noodles. I added some sage seasoning, pulled the turkey off the bones, but it up and added it to the soup. It was delicious!
Ummmm.....that does sound good!

That's a great way to use up all the turkey, too. There's so much meat that you can't seem to get to when cutting it off.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:21 pm

iamlookingup wrote:If all I have is a Turkey Breast, do I cook it the same way?
Why are we talking about Thanksgiving dinner in June? :headscratch: I am looking for things to make for our annual 4th of July party.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:53 am

iamlookingup wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Why are we talking about Thanksgiving dinner in June? :headscratch: I am looking for things to make for our annual 4th of July party.
Someone gave me a turkey breast that they bought accidentally. :ohwell:
How do you accidently buy a turkey breast? I'm curious, did it fly in their shopping cart? :lol: Sorry IALU, but that is funny. Sorry I never made a turkey breast, because we don't really like white meat.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:16 am

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
iamlookingup wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Someone gave me a turkey breast that they bought accidentally. :ohwell:
How do you accidently buy a turkey breast? I'm curious, did it fly in their shopping cart? :lol: Sorry IALU, but that is funny. Sorry I never made a turkey breast, because we don't really like white meat.
Whenever I see people park incorrectly, I follow them into the store and sneak unusual things into their basket.