Actual Oven Temperatures

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
StarryNightDave
Mentative

Actual Oven Temperatures

Post by StarryNightDave » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:39 pm

I found out that my oven is almost 30 degrees hotter than the setting. I got an oven thermometer and tested it. At 350, the thermometer was just over 375! My Blackout Cake needed 325, so I had to set it at approx. 290 degrees. No wonder some of my cakes have turned out dry.

:shakehead:

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Actual Oven Temperatures

Post by Pixie » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:04 pm

Oh, my gosh! Oh, Dave, I would never, never, never bake without an oven thermometer! They are very inexpensive. My favorite is by Taylor and runs $12. at Williams-Sonoma.

You will be so much happier now that you have your thermometer! It will translate to happiness even when roasting a chicken, a turkey, or a roast!

Good for you! I am glad you made the purchase!

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:54 pm

I've been thinking back to the desserts I have made that turned out too dry. I'll have to try them again. There is this amazing chocolate peanut butter swirl bunt cake that I have made. But, it always turned out dry. I want to try that one again!

What's odd is that the Baker's one bowl brownies I make always turn out great.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:15 am

I think I may have to get a thermometer too. My new oven seems to bake pretty fast.

streetsoldier
General von Nuisance

Post by streetsoldier » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:21 am

Do they make one that can be preset to scream when it's hot enough?

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:28 am

Well, not scream but you can get one that will beep to let you know the oven is ready and then beep again when the roast/etc. is done!

They have wireless thermometers that will alert you anywhere in your house. You just clip it onto your belt, apron, pocket, whatever!

Oh, yeah, the technology is there. The last one I mentioned is about $50.

Dave, on your one bowl brownie adjust the temperature to fit. If you are currently baking them at 350 now, with your thermometer reach for 375. Bake for the same length of time and you should be set.

But, I know you knew all that! :lolh: :embarrassed: :lolh:

It is amazing how every recipe varies. The first time I make a recipe I follow it exactly. I make my notes as to what didn't work for me and then I adjust and make the recipe my way! :lolh: I have yet to be disappointed once I begin my personal adjustments. After five or six times I can truly call the recipe mine because I have rewritten everything! :lolh: (do we have a bag over the head emote?) :lolh: I am really not being uppity! :lolh: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:18 am

Gee, that must be what separates the good cooks from the great cooks. If I make a recipe that doesn't work, it goes in the garbage can. :lol:

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:27 am

tattulip wrote:Gee, that must be what separates the good cooks from the great cooks. If I make a recipe that doesn't work, it goes in the garbage can. :lol:
My Grandmother would roll over in her grave! She never wasted a thing. We would have leftovers 2 and 3 times until they were gone. And, she always saved stale bread and rolls to feed to the birds. Drove us nuts at times, but she had a very big heart.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet

Post by tattulip » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:19 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:
tattulip wrote:Gee, that must be what separates the good cooks from the great cooks. If I make a recipe that doesn't work, it goes in the garbage can. :lol:
My Grandmother would roll over in her grave! She never wasted a thing. We would have leftovers 2 and 3 times until they were gone. And, she always saved stale bread and rolls to feed to the birds. Drove us nuts at times, but she had a very big heart.
Oh I wouldn't throw the food out........never had to do that. I would just throw the recipe out.

Charybdis
I was "Tea Party" before it became fashionable

Post by Charybdis » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:45 am

My problem is, the left side of the oven cooks faster than the right. So I sometimes have to turn the item around halfway through cooking to make it even. I think the balance must be off, but it's a pain in the butt to pull the dang thing out and fix it.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:26 am

StarryNightDave wrote:
:angry: WASTE!!!

You mean you didn't use your stale bread for french toast or bread pudding? :bat:

apeptlchamp
Double BS

Post by apeptlchamp » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:39 am

Fatherducque wrote:
StarryNightDave wrote:
:angry: WASTE!!!

You mean you didn't use your stale bread for french toast or bread pudding? :bat:
No, but she'd make some fresh bread for nice bird-meat sandwiches. :lol: