Red Beans and Rice

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
Fatherducque

Red Beans and Rice

Post by Fatherducque » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:18 pm

This what we are having tonight! :cheer:

Camellia's Famous New Orleans Style Red Beans
1 lb Camellia Brand Red (Kidney) Beans
1/2 lb ham or seasoning meat
8-10 cups water
1 onion, chopped
1 toe garlic, chopped
2 Tbs celery, chopped
2 Tbs parsley, chopped
1 large bay leaf
Salt to taste

Directions:
Rinse and sort beans. Cover beans with water and start to cook over low fire. Render meat in skillet, remove and set aside. In skillet, sauté onion, garlic, parsley and celery in meat drippings. Add meat, bay leaf, salt and pepper to beans. Boil gently, stirring occasionally for about 1-1/2 hours, or until tender. Add water while cooking if necessary. Serve with long grain rice.

Prep Time: 2 hours 0 minutes
Difficulty: 1 - Easy
Camellia Product: Red (Kidney) Beans
Servings: 6

* I would add a chopped green pepper and some added celery*

This is the recipe right off the Camellia bag...nothing more. Their other recipes are published below.

http://www.camelliabrand.com/t-familyrecipes.aspx

Note that you feed six people with a 1/2 pound of meat here...any smoked sausage will do...I'd bet it would be killer with Italian sausage!

Get a bottle of pepper sauce (mild) and you are ready to go!

While I was smelling this cook, it occurred to me that we sometimes let our desires become too complex. I doubt that I will find these beans and rice any less pleasureable than a meal at Commanders's Palace. Fancy is not always better. This is not to say that a fine meal is not a great pleasure, just that simpler things should be appreciated too, and that a simple meal can be a great pleasure.

Those of you (timid cooks, especially) should try this meal sometime...like on a rainy day. We were inspired by our discovery of a frozen ham hock of uncertain age in the back of the freezer.

streetsoldier
General von Nuisance

Re: Red Beans and Rice

Post by streetsoldier » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:35 am

Aw HUH! :dinner: :yes:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:35 pm

Ham Bone, Ducque, ham bone....and Andouille Sausage, and Pickle Pork.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:51 pm

falvegas wrote:Ham Bone, Ducque, ham bone....and Andouille Sausage, and Pickle Pork.
Well...it might have been a ham bone...you know how it is with the stuff in the back of the freezer.

Y'know, you can chop up and throw in one of those boneless, skinless, tasteless chicken breasts instead of the ham, too.

streetsoldier
General von Nuisance

Post by streetsoldier » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:15 pm

Fatherducque wrote:
falvegas wrote:Ham Bone, Ducque, ham bone....and Andouille Sausage, and Pickle Pork.
Well...it might have been a ham bone...you know how it is with the stuff in the back of the freezer.

Y'know, you can chop up and throw in one of those boneless, skinless, tasteless chicken breasts instead of the ham, too.
Only if you add a pinch of either curry powder or garam marsala per pound.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:10 pm

Are the beans dried? If so, don't they usually need 24 hours to soak? Or were these canned?

BTW, have you ever tried this?

streetsoldier
General von Nuisance

Post by streetsoldier » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:09 pm

I have... :pickme:

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:53 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:Are the beans dried? If so, don't they usually need 24 hours to soak? Or were these canned?

Yes, they were dried. Soaking lessens the cooking time, but is not necessary. Be sure to rinse well, and be sure to note that your beans are simmering while you are putzing around (Didn't know I spoke Yankee, did ya?) with the meat and the other ingredients. Soaking is also supposed to reduce gas during digestion. :noparty:

Yes. We use that mix as a camping food and it is rather good. "From scratch" beans are so simple and much better though.

streetsoldier
General von Nuisance

Post by streetsoldier » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:46 pm

Fatherducque wrote:
StarryNightDave wrote:Are the beans dried? If so, don't they usually need 24 hours to soak? Or were these canned?

Yes, they were dried. Soaking lessens the cooking time, but is not necessary. Be sure to rinse well, and be sure to note that your beans are simmering while you are putzing around (Didn't know I spoke Yankee, did ya?) with the meat and the other ingredients. Soaking is also supposed to reduce gas during digestion. :noparty:

Yes. We use that mix as a camping food and it is rather good. "From scratch" beans are so simple and much better though.
What this country needs are Cajun MRE's. :dinner:

burlbrad
No Line Between Genius And Insanity Here

Post by burlbrad » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:46 am

streetsoldier wrote:
Fatherducque wrote:

What this country needs are Cajun MRE's. :dinner:
Tastes good but I'm not sure we can have our country's finest running to the latrine every half hour.

:mrgreen:

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:08 pm

Speaking of Zatarains, I have noticed on their boxes that you have to add meat. Why? You don't have to do that with other brands. Like Far East, or is it Near East? :headscratch:

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:19 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:

Speaking of Zatarains, I have noticed on their boxes that you have to add meat. Why? You don't have to do that with other brands. Like Far East, or is it Near East? :headscratch:
I think it is because the Zat's mix is really tailored for our local taste. Everybody around here has their favorite meat shop/local brand of sausage, and they know that, by putting in their favorite brand, they would displease 99% of the users no matter what they chose. Besides, you can't possibly approach the flavor of fresh sausage or chicken, etc. with the dehydrated version.

They are lucky to get as wide local acceptance with a mix! We are picky about our local dishes....very picky.

Gonna try some tonight?

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:08 pm

Fatherducque wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:

I think it is because the Zat's mix is really tailored for our local taste. Everybody around here has their favorite meat shop/local brand of sausage, and they know that, by putting in their favorite brand, they would displease 99% of the users no matter what they chose. Besides, you can't possibly approach the flavor of fresh sausage or chicken, etc. with the dehydrated version.

They are lucky to get as wide local acceptance with a mix! We are picky about our local dishes....very picky.

Gonna try some tonight?
But I just want it as a side dish. I am not really that crazy about rice, it's ok as a side, just for something different than potatoes.