Topic revisitted...Boneless, Skinless, Tasteless Chicken Bre

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
StarryNightDave
Mentative

Re: Topic revisitted...Boneless, Skinless, Tasteless Chicken Bre

Post by StarryNightDave » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:29 pm

My family loves my dry rub chicken. Try this . . .

Make the spice mixture first in a bowl.

1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp ground thyme
1 tsp celery seeds
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
pinch (less than 1/8 tsp) cinnamon
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp salt - can be coarse sea salt or kosher if you like
2 to 3 table spoons of paprika
---you can also add some cyan pepper to spice things up

Stir up the spices, rinse and pat dry the chicken pieces, and rub the spice mix into the pieces with your hands. Let the chicken absorb the spice rub for about an hour or more. Or, if you don't have the time, this works just as well right into the oven. I usually add about 1 tea spoon of spice rub for each chicken part. Another way is to put the pieces in a large bowl and sprinkle the dry rub mix over them and stir with a wooden spoon. Just try to cover all parts of the meat with the spices.

I set my broiler to about 450 degrees and place the oven rack on the second shelf from the top. So, this is not direct broiling, but it does help to cook the chicken.

Place the chicken in a baking dish (pyrex) and place in the oven. I set my timer for 10 minutes and turn the chicken every 10 minutes. I usually let the chicken cook for 40 minutes. You can also cook this outside on the grille.

If you have any left over spice rub mix, save it for next time.

This makes a great chicken salad the next day. Just add mayo and the spices blend with it to make a "South West" style dressing. I usually add chopped celery and, sometimes, chopped apple. I also love seedless grapes cut in half. And, also almond slivers.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:40 pm

I also used to make an interesting chicken dish with chicken breasts that is poached.

I can't remember the amounts of ingredients, but you will get the idea.

Julian strips of Carrot and Celery
Julian strips of Monterrey Jack cheese - you can use other cheeses if you like.
salt & pepper and some ground thyme for seasoning.

Flatten out the chicken breast and place some carrot, celery, and cheese strips in the center. Add some ground thyme, salt and pepper to taste. Then, roll up the breast with the strips in the center.

Place chicken breasts on a large sheet of saran wrap and "wrap" up the rolled breasts twisting the ends of the plastic to hold it tight. Each breast should be in it's own separate wrapper.

When you have made up the chicken breast bundles, poach them in a pot of boiling water for about 35 minutes. You are poaching them IN the saran wrap packages.

When finished, remove from the pot and gently remove the saran wrap.

Slice the chicken on an angle and then arrange the slices on a plate to look like flowers. This can look very attractive and is actually quite easy to make. Poaching in the saran wrap makes the chicken very tender.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:29 pm

I know what my kids always liked:

Pound them out into cutlets between plastic wrap, seaon & flour them, into an egg wash, then coat em with bread crumbs & Fry em in a skillet.

Youn can even cut the Cutlets into Chicken Fingers and do them the same way, serve em with a tomato or other favorite 'Dip'.

College Boy
You can call me College Professor Boy
Location: Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun, or the rain.

Post by College Boy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:14 pm

Make chicken parm.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:26 pm

iamlookingup wrote:
falvegas wrote:I know what my kids always liked:

Pound them out into cutlets between plastic wrap, seaon & flour them, into an egg wash, then coat em with bread crumbs & Fry em in a skillet.

Youn can even cut the Cutlets into Chicken Fingers and do them the same way, serve em with a tomato or other favorite 'Dip'.
This sounds doable. :thumbsup: Is salt and pepper good enough, or does it need other seasonings? :hmm:

A light dusting of salt & pepper is just fine. Maybe a little in the bread crumbs.

streetsoldier
General von Nuisance

Post by streetsoldier » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:48 pm

Get yo'se'f sum Zatarain's Jambalaya mix, cut dem chickens into squares, t'row dem in de pot wid t' seasonings an' rice, den stand b'hand dem wid yo' rollin' pin. :ialu: :ialu:

Dey'll eat it, Ah guar-awn-TEE! :bat:

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:03 pm

streetsoldier wrote:Get yo'se'f sum Zatarain's Jambalaya mix, cut dem chickens into squares, t'row dem in de pot wid t' seasonings an' rice, den stand b'hand dem wid yo' rollin' pin. :ialu: :ialu:

Try this. Zatarain's Jambalaya mix is about $1.13 a box now. Tony Chachere's is good too and about the same price.

SS is not joking here

Or try their gumbo mix.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:32 pm

For kids?
Check with, iam, on that one.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:35 pm

Fatherducque wrote:
streetsoldier wrote:Get yo'se'f sum Zatarain's Jambalaya mix, cut dem chickens into squares, t'row dem in de pot wid t' seasonings an' rice, den stand b'hand dem wid yo' rollin' pin. :ialu: :ialu:

Try this. Zatarain's Jambalaya mix is about $1.13 a box now. Tony Chachere's is good too and about the same price.

SS is not joking here

Or try their gumbo mix.
I love Zatarain's! It's one of the only mixes I've tried that doesn't taste like a mix. I also love their dirty rice. I make the recipe that's on the box with added bacon and raisins with the ground beef. It's wonderful stuff. And, it's almost too easy to make.

streetsoldier
General von Nuisance

Post by streetsoldier » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:16 pm

All I've seen of Tony Chachere's here is Seasoning Salt; but, what I LOVE about Louisiana cooking is that one can use "whatever you got!" and it still makes an unforgettable meal.

*On another matter, my sister Jan's birthday is tomorrow, and she hinted that she wanted another Haunted House for her growing Hallowe'en collection. WELL...I found a "Haunted Hunting Shack", to which I have added three alligator figures and repainted the sign, "Laissez les maltemps rouler" ("Let the bad times roll"). It has this ghoul with an ax to chop up them gators, 4 mo' better spirits inside, and a figurine of a witchy woman upstairs who do...the voodoo...better than you do. And it's lit up from the inside! :shock: :shock:

Hey, she ASKED...* :mrgreen: :rofl: :lolh: :smokin:

UPDATE, 01 SEPTEMBER 2010

I added two alligators for effect, and my sister wanted to know if this is Fatherducque's house! :smokin: :rofl2: :lolh:

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:16 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:
I love Zatarain's! It's one of the only mixes I've tried that doesn't taste like a mix. I also love their dirty rice. I make the recipe that's on the box with added bacon and raisins with the ground beef. It's wonderful stuff. And, it's almost too easy to make.
Try the red beans and rice mix. It surprised us with how good it was.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:18 pm

iamlookingup wrote:I make a spaghetti dish with chicken, Tony Chachere's creole seasoning, green peppers, onions, mushrooms, basil, heavy cream and lemon pepper. Oh, and parmesan cheese.
You haven't worked up the nerve to make a gumbo or a jambalaya yet?

*badger, badger, badger* :teehee:

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:41 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:My family loves my dry rub chicken. Try this . . .

Make the spice mixture first in a bowl.

1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp ground thyme
1 tsp celery seeds
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
pinch (less than 1/8 tsp) cinnamon
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp salt - can be coarse sea salt or kosher if you like
2 to 3 table spoons of paprika
---you can also add some cyan pepper to spice things up

Stir up the spices, rinse and pat dry the chicken pieces, and rub the spice mix into the pieces with your hands. Let the chicken absorb the spice rub for about an hour or more. Or, if you don't have the time, this works just as well right into the oven. I usually add about 1 tea spoon of spice rub for each chicken part. Another way is to put the pieces in a large bowl and sprinkle the dry rub mix over them and stir with a wooden spoon. Just try to cover all parts of the meat with the spices.

I set my broiler to about 450 degrees and place the oven rack on the second shelf from the top. So, this is not direct broiling, but it does help to cook the chicken.

Place the chicken in a baking dish (pyrex) and place in the oven. I set my timer for 10 minutes and turn the chicken every 10 minutes. I usually let the chicken cook for 40 minutes. You can also cook this outside on the grille.

If you have any left over spice rub mix, save it for next time.

This makes a great chicken salad the next day. Just add mayo and the spices blend with it to make a "South West" style dressing. I usually add chopped celery and, sometimes, chopped apple. I also love seedless grapes cut in half. And, also almond slivers.
I am going to try this! I am going to TRY to lose some weight and this looks like a good way to eat chicken breasts!

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:36 pm

I made the BEST boneless fried chicken breast today for my hay farmer friend. It came out absolutely perfect. I pounded the breasts to around 3/4 inch and rolled them in seasoned flour then an egg wash and then corn flake crumbs before I fried them. They had a great crunch on the outside and were moist as could be on the inside, even though he was a half hour late and they sat in a warm oven the whole time. I was so excited at how they came out. :cheer: I ate the smallest one and it was crunchy on the outside and nice and moist and juicy on the inside. :cool: :dinner:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:37 pm

Way to do them, abbi :clap:

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:49 pm

falvegas wrote:Way to do them, abbi :clap:
Thanks. I was really happy with how the whole meal came out. The only thing that would have been better was that I had made that meal for my friend the Chef :ohwell: I am always really happy when I have a culinary success. :mrgreen:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:46 am

abbi wrote:
falvegas wrote:Way to do them, abbi :clap:
Thanks. I was really happy with how the whole meal came out. The only thing that would have been better was that I had made that meal for my friend the Chef :ohwell: I am always really happy when I have a culinary success. :mrgreen:
Try a Chicken Kiev sometime, served on wide egg noodles, sprinkled with parsley. Side dish can be roasted or saute baby vegtables or a Bibb Lettuce Salad with Russian Dressing.

A bit more involved than chic cutlets, but a wonderfully elegant meal. Just don't consume much butter for a few days after.