Quiz - The Cooking Quiz

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
falvegas

Re: Quiz - The Cooking Quiz

Post by falvegas » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:39 am

Pixie wrote:You are further along than I am... I have only mastered one of the Mother Sauces... Hollandaise.
That's a good one to master, it can come apart so easy. I must say that Hollandaise simply came together when I bought my quality Saucier.

Baking to me takes not only 'Precision' but it seems requires an enormous amount of time and patience for like, a complex cake.

And me, I come out of the Kitchen looking like I stepped out of a 1st grade art class.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:43 am

falvegas wrote:
Pixie wrote:You are further along than I am... I have only mastered one of the Mother Sauces... Hollandaise.
That's a good one to master, it can come apart so easy. I must say that Hollandaise simply came together when I bought my quality Saucier.

Baking to me takes not only 'Precision' but it seems requires an enormous amount of time and patience for like, a complex cake.

And me, I come out of the Kitchen looking like I stepped out of a 1st grade art class.

Sometimes 'Complex' is difficult to master, but not always e.g. Beef Wellington (the classic recipe) is fairly complex to craft, certainly more than a basic Prime Rib. But it really takes a lot of patience.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:46 am

falvegas wrote:

And yet, my dear friend you are a master bread baker! I can bake anything, I mean anything, it is truly a gift... but, bread, yeast bread. It is as it is with the seasoning cast iron skillets and I come out of the kitchen covered head to toe in flour and yeast! :lolh:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:56 am

Pixie wrote:
falvegas wrote:

And yet, my dear friend you are a master bread baker! I can bake anything, I mean anything, it is truly a gift... but, bread, yeast bread. It is as it is with the seasoning cast iron skillets and I come out of the kitchen covered head to toe in flour and yeast! :lolh:
Master???...I wouldn't quite reach that far.
I will say that without the Kitchen-Aid Mixer, I would make half the bread I do now. Once the labor is taken out of Kneading, making bread is a joy.

I'm no expert but the self proclaimed experts, the purists say you must knead by hand.
I say...Bull! Ihave taken the same recipe and done it both ways, and I assure you, using the Kitchen Aid yeilds better results...and yer arms don't hurt.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:02 am

And you make an excellent point! When I was trying to learn to bake bread I did not have a Kitchen Aid... it was years, years ago.

Maybe on one of my days off I will try to get the courage up to once again make bread! You may get a phone call yelling for help! :rofl2:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:15 am

Pixie wrote:And you make an excellent point! When I was trying to learn to bake bread I did not have a Kitchen Aid... it was years, years ago.

Maybe on one of my days off I will try to get the courage up to once again make bread! You may get a phone call yelling for help! :rofl2:
If it's before 9 AM, please don't yell :lolh:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:33 am

:lolh: I'll remember that! :lolh:

burlbrad
No Line Between Genius And Insanity Here

Post by burlbrad » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:18 pm

falvegas wrote:
Master???...I wouldn't quite reach that far.
I will say that without the Kitchen-Aid Mixer, I would make half the bread I do now. Once the labor is taken out of Kneading, making bread is a joy.

I'm no expert but the self proclaimed experts, the purists say you must knead by hand.
I say...Bull! Ihave taken the same recipe and done it both ways, and I assure you, using the Kitchen Aid yeilds better results...and yer arms don't hurt.
I haven't wandered into this forum til now: It's great!!

Been baking bread all my life, just knocked off 2 ciabatta loaves. Regarding purists and kneading, nowadays I use the mixer to knead it - almost. I pull it out and finish it off by hand: you can feel the gluten "set" as you work it for the last couple of minutes. You know when it is ready.

For the more moist breads like ciabatta and focaccia, I don't mess with it, I let the mixer finish it off.

But no wooden spoons and big bowls for this guy any more.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: I passed the test. But I didn't agree with the plastic bowl thing: answer was more theoretical than practical. Tupperware works fine.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:23 pm

Burlbrad, I love Tupperware! I have to go back to the test know to remember that question! It's been awhile!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:34 pm

Okay! I went back and took the test again.

Burlbrad, it depends on what you are doing. If, you are trying to whip egg whites for a soufflé, for example, and you use a plastic bowl that has a trace of oil your whites will not rise. Another example would be if you are using a mixing bowl as a double boiler you cannot use plastic.

I am assuming they are trying to give the widest breadth to the use of a mixing bowl. :) So, I agree with your assertion that it is more theoretical (professional baker) than practical (home baker).

Oh, my gosh, another bread baker! Why are all the guys so good at baking bread and I am so lousy at it! :lolh: