Gas Or Electric

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
falvegas

Re: Gas Or Electric

Post by falvegas » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:06 am

Pixie wrote:Not at all, not at all! Your knowledge is always appreciated! Desired, actually!

I am quick to admit that I know very little about copper pots and pans. I know that copper has the best conductivity of any pan but they are temperamental and delicate! You have to replace the tin lining and it is a very expensive process. Polishing them takes dedication and work! I have never owned a copper pan or pot but at one time I did own a copper tea kettle. It was beautiful but I was always afraid to use it... I just kept it for display. Obviously, I no longer own it! :lolh:

The Italian cook on FoodNetwork, do you mean Giada de Laurentiis???? I think she has a new line but I know nothing about it. I couldn't agree with you more about Emeril's old line of cookware, I was disappointed in the quality and the same goes for the knives he had out. I don't know too much about his new line of hard anodized cookware... as I said, I do love, love, love hard anodized cookware!

As far as enameled cast iron, I would love to own a Le Creuset or a Staub, maybe someday, I can't help but to love all things beautiful... it's my nature but Lodge is an American company that is one of the founding companies in America to make cast iron pots and pans! They are still here and I know, know, know their product is as good as the fancy French versions! I have to support the Americans!!!!!!!!! That too is in my nature! :lolh:

As far as cast iron goes... well, I have tried and tried and tried and I am useless at properly taking care of cast iron! I have given up! :lolh: :lolh: :lolh: My mother had her mother's cast iron skillet and it was perfect! She used it for everything... my sister has it but doesn't use it. I am hopeless when it comes to trying to care for a cast iron pan. I am ashamed to admit that but admit that I must!

Now bake ware, that is another story, buy good heavy bakeware. My favorite is the commercial quality silver bakeware found at Williams Sonoma and I own their cake pans, muffin tins, and jelly roll pans. I never buy "cookie sheets" as they are uni-task pans... I buy jelly roll pans as you can use them for a myriad of things. Yes, I own a Silpat and I wouldn't be without it!!!!!!! It is one of my all time favorite kitchen tools!

My favorite bakeware for pies and quick breads are the Emile Henry Artisan fluted pie plates and loaf pans... they are glazed pottery over Burgundian (France) clay so you get a beautiful crust on your pie every time!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I got everything... anyway most importantly, I love talking about cooking and baking and there is no one I love doing it more than with the people on CC!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I hope no one ever feels like he/she is being pompous or the other way either... not savvy enough to join in!!!!!!!!! I have learned from every single person that has ever posted in this forum and I think each one of you is the best!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope we all continue to share whatever knowledge it is we have with each other.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :highfive: :highfive: :highfive:

Now... :dinner: :dinner: :dinner: :dinner: :dinner: :dinner:

:lolh:

Love shopping a W. Sonoma, I simply refuse to look at the price tags.

As for Bake Ware; Pie Pans for example, I have Pyrex, Metal, a couple of Enameled Ceramic (by Chantal), and just plain Tin Pie Pans. They all do well, some take longer than others or brown a little better but I’m not sure which is the best to use, and should extra cooking time be allowed for Ceramic…it seems that way (I don’t always record the different times)?

The same with Loaf Pans. I have Enameled Ceramic and simple (inexpensive) Metal Pans. The metal pans actually seem to perform better when I make Breads, Simple Cakes, Meat Loaf etc. Likely I don’t know how to use them properly so I stick with what works…and that’s the least expensive.

Any thoughts.

BTW: I use Oil and Salt on my seasoned Lodge Cast Iron.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:05 pm

Oh, I love shopping at Williams Sonoma! I can spend hours there! Most women love to shop for clothes I love to shop for my kitchen! :embarrassed:

In all honesty, I think you said it all when you said you stick with what works for you... and, I am certain what you feel comfortable with! We all get comfortable with certain equipment and I know that is what will work best for us!

I will say that I do think the metal loaf pans work the best for breads... not necessarily quick breads, but the yeast breads and that is what you bake, most of the time. The only thing I would say is to make sure they are heavy metal pans because they hold and distribute heat the best. Most of the time I bake quick breads and my Emile Henry works best for me!

Oh, I really don't think there is any hope for me when it comes to seasoning a cast iron pan... I have tried the salt and oil... I don't know why with me they stick. :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:25 am

Oooops....
Last edited by falvegas on Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:27 am

Recently I was curious about Todd English Cookware Sets, mostly the "GreenPan [Copperfused] Hard Anodized Gourmet Cook Ware".
Anyway I briefly watched it demonstrated on HSN (which many of the Chef's do), and heard things that turned out not to be true:
* Todd claimed the pans were Copper...they're not, they are Aluminum with a Copper outer coating, and some copper infused into the Anodize Coating. He claimed hard utensils could be used on them since no PTFE (Teflon) was used.
* He claimed they could be used up to 850 F. Degrees to sear foods.

My observation was:
*They looked too thin to be used at 850 F Deg., seeming to me they'd ultimately 'Warp' or worse.
* Claiming they were Copper was a sales pitch. When he turned one over, the bottom was clearly Aluminum. This also made me 'Doubt' they copuld be used at high temperatures.
* When I did a search, I found quite a few who confirmed my observations but through their personal use, including peeling of the outer coating, severe sticking in the non-stick etc.

Anyway, what I certainly recommend to our members, research the net for those who've used the product before you consider buying it.
I think this HSN group would sell Ice Cubes to the Eskimos. But I don't know enough about them.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:52 pm

Oh, that's criminal that he would knowing tell those lies! That makes chefs everywhere look bad! Who does he think he's fooling! That is awful.

You know FALVegas, there is one cook's products I don't think either of us has mentioned but has some wonderful, wonderful quality products on the market and that is Martha Stewart. I know you have one of her Dutch ovens and I would not hesitate to buy one by her, if I didn't have my heart set on a Lodge... for my first one! :lolh:

Anyway, she has many, many quality tools out in her name!

Also, she is one of my favorite cooks! She takes her food seriously and does a tremendous amount of research before she puts anything out whether it be a recipe or a product!

Yes, I know she made a mistake and I was very disappointed in her but she has paid her price and now it's over. At least that is how I see it.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:21 pm

Well, people in sales often are like used car salemen...if they really told the truth....I guess we simply have to find out for ourselves.

I do have one of Martha's Le Creuset clones, and you can't tell the difference. Bought it on sale at a K-Mart for $45. It's a good time to look for that stuff.

Actually I do like Martha, and the mistake she made (I consider minor) was not near as bad as some of the Insider Trading and 3rd party Grand Cayman accounts of some Senators in Congress. Wall Street criminal acts crushed our ecopnomy, and they're not in Jail...30 to 1 Leverages (totally Insane), and $2-Trillion in Toxic Assets they had totally no asset coverage for. Wall Street White Collar Criminals that Emperor Barack got Bonuses for as families were living out of their cars.
They went after Martha because they wanted to 'Take Her Down'.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:55 pm

I agree about Martha! It was the perfect time and person for them to appear tough on crime! All the while most of them had done worse!

Yes, Kmart and Macy's carries Martha Stewart and the products I have looked at are all quality.

streetsoldier
General von Nuisance

Post by streetsoldier » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:44 pm

Gas while cooking, no; gas afterwards, an unwelcome daliy ritual.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:16 pm

:tmi:

Solo

Post by Solo » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:04 pm

pixie wrote:Not at all, not at all! Your knowledge is always appreciated! Desired, actually!
No kidding! I've learned more about cookware in the last 15 minutes of reading this thread than I've accumulated over the rest of my lifetime!

Thanks, Falve/Pixie! This is great!

Oh....and I prefer Gas stoves, by the way.
I feel as though the temperature control is more precise and reactive to input.