Baked Beans

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Baked Beans

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:45 am

are one of the 2 things I have never made. The other is a jello mold. I find jello boring.

I found this recipe on the Food Network Channel, but I never heard of Sue and Gloria. Should I trust them?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paul ... index.html

If anybody has a different recipe I would certainly consider it. BTW, it doesn't have to be fast as long as it's good. I don't care how many hours it takes to bake in the oven.

ConsrvYank1

Re: Baked Beans

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:58 am

Bump

Cmon, surely somebody out there has a good recipe for baked beans. The recipe I posted above calls for beans that are store bought in a can. Not that it can't be good but how about a recipe where you have to use the uncooked beans from scratch?

Ya know men can participate in the Recipe Forum too. Dave, you do a significant amount of cooking, maybe you have a recipe you can share here.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:31 pm

I have to get my Sister's recipe for this. She has one that is always a favorite at all family gatherings. It's made with kielbasa.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:17 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:I have to get my Sister's recipe for this. She has one that is always a favorite at all family gatherings. It's made with kielbasa.
Oh, I love keilbasa. :drool: I will be waiting with bated breath for this one. :cheer: BTW, does the kielbasa replace the bacon that is sometimes in a baked bean recipe? Of course that wouldn't stop me from making your sister's recipe, I am just curious. I want to make this for July 4th.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:05 am

Ok, Kathy just sent me her recipe. She uses both bacon and kielbasa!

Baked Beans

Ingredients:
4 large cans (28 oz) Campbell’s baked beans
1 jar Grandma’s molasses
¾ cup ketchup
1 large onion, chopped
1 package of Polish kielbasa, cut into chunks (not too small)
6 slices of bacon

You will need a 9 x 13 Pyrex dish AND a slow cooker. First you will bake the beans in the oven, and then you will use the slow cooker to keep everything hot. This makes enough beans to completely fill a slow cooker for a large party.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine all ingredients except for the bacon in the slow cooker. When thoroughly combined, ladle half of the mixture into the 9 x 13 Pyrex dish. Lay 3 strips of bacon on top of the bean mixture in both dishes. Place both in the oven. It takes two dishes because the mixture bakes much faster this way. Bake at 350 for about 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours. IMPORTANT: Set your timer for 15 minute intervals and make sure you stir away from the edges of both pans every 15 minutes until the mixture is thick. If you don’t do this, the beans will be ruined as they will become burned around the edges of the pans. I find 1 ½ hours is usually plenty of time for the beans to thicken. Remove the pans from the oven and chop up the bacon. Pour the contents of the 9 x 13 pan into the slow cooker pot and then plug the slow cooker in to keep the beans hot.

Charybdis
I was "Tea Party" before it became fashionable

Post by Charybdis » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:37 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:Ok, Kathy just sent me her recipe. She uses both bacon and kielbasa!

Baked Beans

Ingredients:
4 large cans (28 oz) Campbell’s baked beans
1 jar Grandma’s molasses
¾ cup ketchup
1 large onion, chopped
1 package of Polish kielbasa, cut into chunks (not too small)
6 slices of bacon

You will need a 9 x 13 Pyrex dish AND a slow cooker. First you will bake the beans in the oven, and then you will use the slow cooker to keep everything hot. This makes enough beans to completely fill a slow cooker for a large party.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine all ingredients except for the bacon in the slow cooker. When thoroughly combined, ladle half of the mixture into the 9 x 13 Pyrex dish. Lay 3 strips of bacon on top of the bean mixture in both dishes. Place both in the oven. It takes two dishes because the mixture bakes much faster this way. Bake at 350 for about 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours. IMPORTANT: Set your timer for 15 minute intervals and make sure you stir away from the edges of both pans every 15 minutes until the mixture is thick. If you don’t do this, the beans will be ruined as they will become burned around the edges of the pans. I find 1 ½ hours is usually plenty of time for the beans to thicken. Remove the pans from the oven and chop up the bacon. Pour the contents of the 9 x 13 pan into the slow cooker pot and then plug the slow cooker in to keep the beans hot.
That's a tad confusing. So you use two Pyrex dishes, ladling half into each one?

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:01 pm

I think she means you use one Pyrex dish and the crock pot ceramic insert. Half is in the Pyrex and half is in the crock pot. You put both in the oven to bake.

Kathy also told me she has successfully cut this recipe in half, or in 1/4. If you did that, you could just use one dish. I think she only uses the crock pot to keep the beans warm for serving.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:03 pm

Charybdis wrote:
That's a tad confusing. So you use two Pyrex dishes, ladling half into each one?
I am not sure I want to put my crock pot in the oven, even though you only use the inner part. If I make this I will use 2 13 x 9 pyrex pans, and use the crock pot for keeping them warm until time for the party. It sounds really good. :drool:

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:01 pm

I think it sounds wonderful! I like the molasses in the recipe!

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:10 am

Pixie wrote:I think it sounds wonderful! I like the molasses in the recipe!
I like molasses too. Now I am wondering, what do you think about adding a little brown sugar to this recipe, and how much should I add, if any?

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:08 am

I would suggest trying it as is first. I think it has a perfect balance of sweetness and savory flavors. Plus, I think brown sugar would not be noticeable very much because the molasses is a much stronger taste. You would probably have to use only brown sugar, but then you would have a milder taste overall.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:02 am

I have recipe similar to this: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pats-Baked ... etail.aspx that is really great. I like all the different types of beans in it. It's a little more work but worth the effort.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:40 pm

tattulip wrote:I have recipe similar to this: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pats-Baked ... etail.aspx that is really great. I like all the different types of beans in it. It's a little more work but worth the effort.
Actually I think it looks kind of easy and good, but I think I will try Dave's beause it has both bacon and kielbasa in it.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:02 am

StarryNightDave wrote:I have to get my Sister's recipe for this. She has one that is always a favorite at all family gatherings. It's made with kielbasa.
Dave, I am sorry I made you go throught all this trouble, but I decided not to make your sister's recipe for the July 4th party because I have so much other stuff to do, I won't have time to check the oven and stir the beans every 15 minutes. I have a lot of prep work to do the day before too. And if somebody doesn't like Kielbasa, they probably won't eat it. But I might make it for my own family someday, if everyone likes kielbasa. Actually, I don't remember ever seeing them eat it. I know my daughter would though, cause I used to make it when she was a child. But the boys have very distinct likes and dislikes, so who knows. They are both a pain in the butt when it comes to food. Of course if they were starving in Africa I am sure they would eat it. :lol:

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:41 pm

I'll get over it. :lol: I'm sure you will get the chance to try it sometime.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:05 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:I'll get over it. :lol: I'm sure you will get the chance to try it sometime.

One of the reasons I hate to TYPE out recipes is because I think I might be doing it for nothing. I would much rather just post a link from somewhere. So I hate that I made you type it out. :sad:

So Dave, do you want me to type out my recipe for Deluxe Pound Cake, and then you can tell me you aren't making it? :lol:

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:43 am

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
StarryNightDave wrote:I'll get over it. :lol: I'm sure you will get the chance to try it sometime.

One of the reasons I hate to TYPE out recipes is because I think I might be doing it for nothing. I would much rather just post a link from somewhere. So I hate that I made you type it out. :sad:

So Dave, do you want me to type out my recipe for Deluxe Pound Cake, and then you can tell me you aren't making it? :lol:
Not necessary - my sister had already typed that one in. Do you have a sister you could bother? :lol:

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:58 am

StarryNightDave wrote:
Not necessary - my sister had already typed that one in. Do you have a sister you could bother? :lol:
How I wish I did, but my only sister passed away a few years ago. She was my best friend. :sad: She was a gourmet cook, and certainly wouldn't have needed any recipes from me, as she once made the finals in the Pillsbury Cookoff in Orlando.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:18 am

Beans beans, the musical fruit......... :teehee: