Fudge Brownies

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Fudge Brownies

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon May 31, 2010 4:37 am

This is very simple and quick to make.

1/2 cup butter (1 stick), 2 squares (2 oz.) unsweetened chocolate, 1 cup sugar, 2 eggs, 1 tsp. vanilla, 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 and grease an 8 x 8 x 2 square pan. Mine is glass. Melt butter and chocolate on low heat in sauce pan on stove. Remove from heat, stir in sugar and add eggs, vanilla: beat lightly just til combined (don't overbeat.)Stir in flour and nuts. Spread batter in pan. You can add whole or half walnuts on top (I don't do this). Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. I bake mine for only 28 minutes. Every stove is different.

Enjoy!

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Re: Fudge Brownies

Post by StarryNightDave » Mon May 31, 2010 11:07 am

Hey, someone told me you would be posting a recipe here today. Thanks! ;)

DSMBaptist
Perma-Newb™
Location: Destroying the New World Order and putting NEOCONS in their place!

Post by DSMBaptist » Mon May 31, 2010 6:54 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:This is very simple and quick to make.

1/2 cup butter (1 stick), 2 squares (2 oz.) unsweetened chocolate, 1 cup sugar, 2 eggs, 1 tsp. vanilla, 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 and grease an 8 x 8 x 2 square pan. Mine is glass. Melt butter and chocolate on low heat in sauce pan on stove. Remove from heat, stir in sugar and add eggs, vanilla: beat lightly just til combined (don't overbeat.)Stir in flour and nuts. Spread batter in pan. You can add whole or half walnuts on top (I don't do this). Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. I bake mine for only 28 minutes. Every stove is different.

Enjoy!
Ah, here it is! Thanks! :notworthy:

Hey, wasn't Corona gonna post a recipie too? :headscratch:

DSMBaptist
Perma-Newb™

Post by DSMBaptist » Mon May 31, 2010 6:58 pm

Oh, I just re-read Corona's reply...it was his typical sarcasm. Never mind! :embarrassed: :whistle:

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:45 pm

:wave: ConsrvYank1!!!

That is easy! I'll give it a try!!!!!!!! :pixie:

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:24 pm

Pixie wrote::wave: ConsrvYank1!!!

That is easy! I'll give it a try!!!!!!!! :pixie:
Very easy, and if you have a sudden urge for something quick, and are lazy like me, and don't want to go to the store, this is it. Certainley nothing gourmet about it.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:32 pm

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: When it comes to brownies... nothing fancy is needed... just good and fudgy! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

:wave:

DSMBaptist
Perma-Newb™

Post by DSMBaptist » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:40 pm

Pixie wrote::cheer: :cheer: :cheer: When it comes to brownies... nothing fancy is needed... just good and fudgy! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

I remember years ago when I worked at Compusa, there was a resturant called, "Viva La Pasta", run by two Jewish ladies who loved Italian food, and their baker made these wonderful chocolate brownies with a mint frosting. They hated to see him go, but he qit that job to take another position at a Pickerman's Pantry. Ironiclly, I worked at the ORIGINAL Pickerman's in Waterloo, IA, in the late 1970's before it closed down and later was re-organized and became a small fanchise. Oh, the original Pickerman's had the absolute best macaroons! They had no white sugar in them and Mom used to buy several dozen of them at a time. Our summertime treat was a plate of those gooey macaroons and bing cherries! :stars: :arms:

And unfortunately, neither Compusa or Viva La Pasta exist anymore! :noparty:

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:20 am

DSMBaptist wrote:
Pixie wrote::cheer: :cheer: :cheer: When it comes to brownies... nothing fancy is needed... just good and fudgy! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

I remember years ago when I worked at Compusa, there was a resturant called, "Viva La Pasta", run by two Jewish ladies who loved Italian food, and their baker made these wonderful chocolate brownies with a mint frosting. They hated to see him go, but he qit that job to take another position at a Pickerman's Pantry. Ironiclly, I worked at the ORIGINAL Pickerman's in Waterloo, IA, in the late 1970's before it closed down and later was re-organized and became a small fanchise. Oh, the original Pickerman's had the absolute best macaroons! They had no white sugar in them and Mom used to buy several dozen of them at a time. Our summertime treat was a plate of those gooey macaroons and bing cherries! :stars: :arms:

I also love macaroons. But no white sugar? :headscratch:

DSMBaptist
Perma-Newb™

Post by DSMBaptist » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:39 am

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
DSMBaptist wrote:

I think that Elmer (Our baker) used molasses instead. He guarded his recipie very carefully. After Pickerman's closed down, he went to work at a nearby bakery that was within walking distance of our house. It was just by total fluke that I found out where Elmer had landed after Pickerman's closed up. As soon as Mom found out, she made regular trips there! :thumbsup:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:01 am

DSMBaptist wrote:

Oh, yummy! They sound wonderful! We should try to duplicate the recipe for you! I'll do some research on macaroon recipes!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:02 am

DSMBaptist wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
DSMBaptist wrote:

I think that Elmer (Our baker) used molasses instead. He guarded his recipie very carefully. After Pickerman's closed down, he went to work at a nearby bakery that was within walking distance of our house. It was just by total fluke that I found out where Elmer had landed after Pickerman's closed up. As soon as Mom found out, she made regular trips there! :thumbsup:
Ah ha! There's our start! That's what made them so ooey gooey! Yummy! :cheer:

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:16 am

Pixie wrote:
DSMBaptist wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
DSMBaptist wrote:

Ah ha! There's our start! That's what made them so ooey gooey! Yummy! :cheer:
I wonder how they would taste made with brown sugar? :headscratch:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:20 pm

Oh, that would make them gooey and richer tasting, I'm sure! I think it would be very good! I will sit down and do some recipe research and see what I can find! Good stuff, I'm sure! :)

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:57 pm

Okay, here's the first test recipe!

Coconut Macaroons
3 large egg whites (90 grams) (3 ounces), at room temperature
1/2 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
¾ cup molasses
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup (60 grams) cake flour, sifted
3 cups (300 grams) sweetened shredded coconut

Coconut Macaroons: In a stainless steel bowl, placed over a saucepan of simmering water, whisk together the egg whites, molasses, sugar, and salt. When this mixture is warm to the touch, and nice and creamy, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract, flour, and coconut. Cover and refrigerate for about two hours, or until firm.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (170 degrees C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Place small mounds (heaping tablespoons) of the batter on the parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing several inches apart. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes and then place on a wire rack to cool.

Makes about 2 dozen Macaroons.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:04 pm

Here is a second possibility!

Coconut Macaroons
1 1/3 c. flake coconut
1/3 c & 2 TBSP. molasses
3 tbsp. flour
1/8 tsp. salt
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp. almond extract

Combine coconut, sugar, flour, and salt in bowl. Stir in molasses, unbeaten egg whites and almond extract. Mix well. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until edges are brown. Remove from sheets at once.

Makes 1 to 1 1/2 dozen macaroons.