Grilled Cheese

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Grilled Cheese

Post by tattulip » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:11 am

From http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/prin ... 67/#sizeFP

I thought this sounded really tasty with a nice cup of hot tomato soup. :drool:

Ingredients

* 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard, to taste
* 1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise, to taste
* 1 whole Tomato
* 1 whole Red Onion, Small
* 2 slices Mild Cheddar
* 1 can (4 Oz.) Whole Green Chilies
* 2 slices Provolone
* 2 slices Rye Bread
* Butter

Preparation Instructions

First we are going to make the special sauce. Measure 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard and 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise and mix the together in a small bowl. That’s it! That’s the special sauce. Mix it together well and then spread a very thin layer onto the inside of both pieces of bread.

Now slice a nice ripe tomato. Thinly slice a red onion. Place two slices of tomato on one piece of bread and two slices of mild cheddar on the other slice. On top of the tomatoes place several slices of red onion followed by two sliced of provolone.

Open your can of whole green chilies (or if you have roasted your own fresh chilies, those are fabulous as well!) and lay one or two slices on top of the provolone. Now very carefully put the two halves of this glorious sandwich together.

Now, are you ready? Spread a ridiculous, fattening and obscene amount of butter on top of the bread. Don’t miss a single centimeter. Flip the sandwich over and repeat the Obscene Butter Process on the other side.

Meanwhile, heat a skillet (non-stick is preferable here) over LOW heat. Place the sandwich in the skillet and cook it for at least 5 minutes. Flip and continue cooking for another couple of minutes, until golden brown. Remove to a cutting board and slice this beautiful little piece of heaven in half and eat.

Lawsie mercy, folks. You have no idea how spectacularly delicious this is.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Re: Grilled Cheese

Post by tattulip » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:15 am

This sounds like a great tomato soup recipe too!

Ingredients

* 2 Tablespoons Butter, Plus 1 Tablespoon To Finish Soup
* 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
* 1 whole Medium Onion, Chopped
* 4 cloves Garlic Chopped
* 2 teaspoons Sugar
* ½ teaspoons Dried Oregano
* 28 ounces, weight Whole Peeled Tomatoes (fire-roasted If Possible)
* 2 cups Vegetable Stock
* ½ cups Cooked Rice
* ½ cups Milk Or Cream

Preparation Instructions

1) Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a pot. Add olive oil.

2) Stir in onions, garlic, oregano, and sugar. Cook over medium heat until soft, translucent, and beginning to caramelize.

3) Add tomatoes and stock, bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer for 15 minutes. (At this point, if you don’t have cooked rice on hand, add 1/3 cup uncooked rice and an additional 2/3 cup stock. Simmer longer, until rice is cooked.)

4) Puree with an immersion blender or with a regular blender until smooth. Stir in milk/cream and an additional tablespoon of butter. Add salt and pepper to taste.

5) Eat steaming hot, with a grilled cheese sandwich (cut on the diagonal, for easy dipping).

http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitche ... p/?print=1

LandLover

Post by LandLover » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:16 am

FOUR slices of cheese?

I guess calories don't work into this recipe.

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:44 am

That sounds very good, have you made it yet?

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:31 am

Reminds me of college. The ONE thing the cafeteria made that was actually GREAT was grilled cheese and tomato soup. They would serve it on Fridays at lunch. Great stuff.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet

Post by tattulip » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:46 pm

The grilled cheese was good but not great. I bought this panini maker awhile back and I can't get the hang of it. The cheese was nice and melted but the bread never got crusty. :dunno: I only used two slices of cheese and that was plenty. All the other stuff slid off the bread and more cheese would make that worse. The soup was better then the sandwich IMO.

cjelephant

Post by cjelephant » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:49 pm

You gotta keep it simple with grilled cheese.

2 slices of cheese with a little gulden's in between.

Plenty of butter to get it crispy.

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:41 am

tattulip wrote:The grilled cheese was good but not great. I bought this panini maker awhile back and I can't get the hang of it. The cheese was nice and melted but the bread never got crusty. :dunno: I only used two slices of cheese and that was plenty. All the other stuff slid off the bread and more cheese would make that worse. The soup was better then the sandwich IMO.
From what I have heard the panini maker does not get hot enough, so that's prolly why the bread didn't get crusty. Try it in a regular frying pan on high heat with butter. I don't put butter on the bread, I put it in the pan. I always use 3 pieces of cheese, I don't think 2 is enough, and 4 is too many. And I like it best with Swiss, not American cheese, or possibly sharp cheddar cheese.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet

Post by tattulip » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:12 am

Well she said to keep the stove on low so the cheese gets melted so I kept my panini maker on low. I will turn it up next time. My cheese slices were fairly thick so two was enough.

Johnny 99
Formerly known as "kad"
Location: I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Post by Johnny 99 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:46 am

This thread illustrates the difference between men and women.

For us, two pieces of bread, two pieces of cheese, and a hot clothing iron will do the trick.

:mrgreen:

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:39 pm

Owen 16 wrote:This thread illustrates the difference between men and women.

For us, two pieces of bread, two pieces of cheese, and a hot clothing iron will do the trick.

:mrgreen:
:shock: :lolh: :shock:

:lolh:

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:44 pm

So, how do you explain those shiny parts on your dress shirts? On the other hand, it must be nice to smell butter all day. :flirt: