50's style meatloaf

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Re: 50's style meatloaf

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:04 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:
One trick I learned is to use a grater for the onion instead of trying to mince it up. Use a medium sized grate and it will come out like onion pulp and mix in with the meat really well. This works really great for burgers too.
I bet it does, and I keep meaning to do it, but I keep forgetting when the time comes. :ohwell:

DSMBaptist
Perma-Newb™
Location: Destroying the New World Order and putting NEOCONS in their place!

Post by DSMBaptist » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:37 pm

falvegas wrote:I like this recipe, and I love meatloaf. I especially like the 'Sauce'...sounds excellent.

I've tried to copy my Grandmothers Meatloaf, but it's never the same. No one recorded her recipes before she died. Lookingup's is very similar, maybe modified a bit as follows.

I know she used about 50% Beef, and 25% each Pork and Veal, I use to grind it for her.

I don't remember her using Milk, she did use a lot of chopped Parsley and Chives. And she would dust the meats with Paprika.

She would Lay some Bacon on top, but the Sauce was typical Russian. A Mushroom sauce.

My biggest memory of making meatloaf was the one time that my Dad (He did all of the cooking since he was disabled and Mom worked) making me kneed the meatloaf. Omigawd...it was ice cold, and I cried most of the time that he stood there and made me kneed it with my bare hands.

I've made meatloaf so many different ways that I probably made it like your grandma at one time, Falvgas.

Dang...all this talk about meatloaf is giving me an idea that I need to make some either tomorrow or Saturday. I should, and I'll get back to you guys! :cheer:

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:09 pm

Oh, let us know! As you can see it is one of the favorites in this group!

DSMBaptist
Perma-Newb™

Post by DSMBaptist » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:39 pm

Pixie wrote:Oh, let us know! As you can see it is one of the favorites in this group!

So, I noticed, Pixie! Beer, Coffee and Meatloaf are the number three top food topics ever discussesed here on Coverts...have you noticed that? Not even pizza or chocolate gets as much hurrah here as those three. Bar none! :hmm: Of course, there might be those who will challenge me on that. :hmm:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:49 pm

:lolh: That sounds about right so you will not be challenged by me! :lolh:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:45 pm

DSMBaptist wrote:
Pixie wrote:Oh, let us know! As you can see it is one of the favorites in this group!

So, I noticed, Pixie! Beer, Coffee and Meatloaf are the number three top food topics ever discussesed here on Coverts...have you noticed that? Not even pizza or chocolate gets as much hurrah here as those three. Bar none! :hmm: Of course, there might be those who will challenge me on that. :hmm:
Oh no my Baptist friend, we have literally dozens, hundreds of Recipes covering the Traditional American, to every possible holiday recipe, to a whole suite of Soutwest Cuisine, to a whole suite of Louisiana Cuisine, to the best of the best of French Cuisine including by the best chefs in the world.

One must 'Search' this section going back a year or two to see the diversity. More important, simply punch in a request and ta da...it very likely appears. :)

DSMBaptist
Perma-Newb™

Post by DSMBaptist » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:28 am

falvegas wrote:
DSMBaptist wrote:

Oh no my Baptist friend, we have literally dozens, hundreds of Recipes covering the Traditional American, to every possible holiday recipe, to a whole suite of Soutwest Cuisine, to a whole suite of Louisiana Cuisine, to the best of the best of French Cuisine including by the best chefs in the world.

One must 'Search' this section going back a year or two to see the diversity. More important, simply punch in a request and ta da...it very likely appears. :)
Okay, Falvgas, I'l grant you that is the truth if you consider just this recipie forum, but I had The Lighter Side in mind when I said that.

But I'll concede to you all the same! ;)

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:49 pm

DSMBaptist wrote:

You forgot bacon. :TTC: But, I think you are correct.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:53 pm

:lolh: You are exactly right! We can't forget bacon! :lolh:

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:58 am

I was just reading through this thread again and now I want to make meatloaf :teehee:

DSMBaptist
Perma-Newb™

Post by DSMBaptist » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:23 pm

Pixie wrote::lolh: You are exactly right! We can't forget bacon! :lolh:
I suppose that when I make this meatloaf (Hopefully tomarrow), I can add bacon to it.

And NO, I will not add beer to it! :nono: