Goose and duck stew

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
9outof10

Goose and duck stew

Post by 9outof10 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:28 pm

I acquired some fresh geese and a few ducks from my neighbor who had shot them the day before. I decided to make stew for the football game last night.

First, I breasted out the meat. I simply cut the birds across their neck lines above the breast. Reaching my fingers under the skin, I peeled the skin away exposing just the breast meat. Using a knife, I cut the the meat off the bird. I prefer this method with ducks and geese simply because there is not enough meat on the rest of the bird to warrant pulling all the feathers off and gutting it. The carcass' were easily disposed of by throwing into the field.

The goose breast I fillet in half. I than soaked all the meat overnight in a saltwater in the fridge. This helps get the "gamey" taste out.

Ingredients are simple-

2lbs of duck and goose breast, cubed.
1 box of chicken broth
1lb of carrots, cut
3 large potatoes, diced
Pearl onions
6 cloves of garlic, minced
(That is all I used. You can, naturally, omit any of the veggies or add more. Celery, green beans, peas, etc.)

Coat the meat with cornstarch and saute in olive oil over medium heat for 5 minutes, scraping the pan and stirring often. Add the box of broth, carrots, potatoes, onions, and garlic. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper. I also added a bit of chili powder. Or, add whatever your favorite spices are. Bring pot to a boil over high heat than immediate lower temperature to low and cover. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours, covered. After 1 1/2 hours, uncover and stir in a mixture of 1 tbls of cornstarch and 1/2 cup water. Continue to simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.

A nice fresh loaf of Italian or French bread to dip in the juices is the perfect compliment.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Goose and duck stew

Post by Pixie » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:14 pm

My goodness! That sounds great! We are having the coldest winter in 50 years in San Antonio so I have been searching out all the warm and hearty soup and stew recipes I can find!

streetsoldier
General von Nuisance

Post by streetsoldier » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:09 pm

"Goose and duck"...sounds like something we did in junior high school. :whistle:

9outof10

Post by 9outof10 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:05 pm

streetsoldier wrote:"Goose and duck"...sounds like something we did in junior high school. :whistle:

That was "Duck and goose."

streetsoldier
General von Nuisance

Post by streetsoldier » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:45 am

9outof10 wrote:
streetsoldier wrote:"Goose and duck"...sounds like something we did in junior high school. :whistle:

That was "Duck and goose."

Maybe that might have worked better...those girls were devastating when throwing heavy schoolbooks.