Pheasant

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
9outof10

Pheasant

Post by 9outof10 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:32 am

My neighbor raises pheasants. I seem to have a nice supply of birds to butcher and eat. Any ideas on how to prepare them?

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Re: Pheasant

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:52 am

9outof10 wrote:My neighbor raises pheasants. I seem to have a nice supply of birds to butcher and eat. Any ideas on how to prepare them?
I never made one, but Emeril did. This recipe sounds fairly simple.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emer ... index.html

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:19 am

Oh, wow! I've never made pheasant but I'd love to! How cool!

I think the recipe CY1 posted looks great! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'll see if I can find a few more options for you! I'm leaving for church now so it'll be later today!

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:37 am

Pixie wrote:Oh, wow! I've never made pheasant but I'd love to! How cool!

I'll see if I can find a few more options for you! I'm leaving for church now so it'll be later today!
Isn't it about time for posting all those Thanksgiving recipes. BTW, where is Falvegas?

College Boy
You can call me College Professor Boy
Location: Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun, or the rain.

Post by College Boy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:44 am

I think that pheasant is supposed to be served under glass.

-Mike

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:29 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:

Isn't it about time for posting all those Thanksgiving recipes. BTW, where is Falvegas?

Oh, CY! He's been so busy! I'll let him tell you what he's been up to! If you remember last year at the holidays he had 30 days off, well, they called him back to work early and I don't think he's really had any "to himself time" since then!

I'll tell him you're asking about him and maybe he'll stop by!

:wave: :wave: :wave:

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:13 pm

Pixie wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:

Oh, CY! He's been so busy! I'll let him tell you what he's been up to! If you remember last year at the holidays he had 30 days off, well, they called him back to work early and I don't think he's really had any "to himself time" since then!

Tell him I need his recipe for beans and franks.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:17 pm

It's been a long time since I made pheasant but I think I cut it up and put it in a crock pot with cream of mushroom soup mixed with some apple cider. :headscratch: Game birds taste best with something sweet on them.

Justine

Post by Justine » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:14 pm

Pixie: i, too, was just wondering where Falvegas has been. please give him my best regards~ thanks!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:58 am

Fatherducque wrote:
Pixie wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:

Tell him I need his recipe for beans and franks.
:lolh: I will! I can see I need to tell him to stop in to say hi! :lolh: I promise I will!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:59 am

Justine wrote:Pixie: i, too, was just wondering where Falvegas has been. please give him my best regards~ thanks!
Justine, I promise I'm going to let him know everyone wants him to stop in! He's been very busy but, he'll bring everyon up-to-date!

:)

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:45 pm

Sorry guys, been a bit busy, moving and all, setting up a new place I've been spread a little thin.

I'll get some recipes in here.

*** Beans & Franks did I see in here? Is that from scratch or the easy way? I really like Beans & Franks but only if the Franks are All-Beef or Knockwurst like National Hebrew or Nathans. Cooking beas from scratch is always rewarding but time and ingredient intensive. I believe there are so many great packaged Beans out there these days that it isn't worth the extra work, they're of various Styles and of course Quality, and often price. I've bought a good quality Bush's Beans and doctored them myself to get any can taste from them.

*** Pheasant? Now we're talking Turkey :lolh: Pheasant is my very best favorite next to Duck and Quail. Not the easiest Bird to cook, especially if wild. I'll get a few of my favorite recipes for Pheasant in here. Some are sort of sweet, some Herbal, some Roated and some Braised (which most think is the safest to stay tender). Pheasants aren't water fowl, they nest in fields, so they aren't very self basting, not much fat. What to serve them with ...well, it's the old addage; if it grows together, it goes together. Grain or wild rice based stuffings, wild asparagus which usually grows in the fields where they nest...but your imagination will do, pomagranate, grapes, cranberry, and so on to concoct a sauce........

This time of year they're likely Vac-Pac frozen, and if they're not wild they should be quite tender......

There's a place they can be ordered that I get Quail from, I think it's Cavendish (out of Vermont I believe). A lot of the birds I get locally come Vac-Packed out of Minnesota.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:20 pm

falvegas wrote:Sorry guys, been a bit busy, moving and all, setting up a new place I've been spread a little thin.

Nice to see you back falvegas. So where did you move from and to? :wave:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:42 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
falvegas wrote:Sorry guys, been a bit busy, moving and all, setting up a new place I've been spread a little thin.

Nice to see you back falvegas. So where did you move from and to? :wave:

Part of the family ran into financial difficulty so I moved into a larger place to make room for my son. It's less than a quarter mile from my previous place. Problem is, I'd just finished moving into the other place. The things we do for family....but, we gotta do what we gotta do. It sure messed up my personal plans, big time.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:28 pm

Roast Pheasant with Chestnut Fennel Fricassee
Martha Stewart

Ingredients
Serves 4
• 2 cups fresh chestnuts
• 3/4 cup wild rice
• 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
• 1 pheasant, about 3 pounds
• 1/4 cup fresh rosemary, finely chopped, plus whole sprigs for garnish
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 6 shallots, 2 minced and 4 slivered lengthwise
• Freshly ground pepper
• 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 2 bulbs fennel, (about 8 ounces each), sliced thinly crosswise
• 1 cup Homemade Chicken Stock, or canned low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. With a sharp knife, make two crosscut gashes on flat side of chestnuts. Place on a baking sheet, and roast for 15 to 20 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel off skins and set aside.
2. Rinse rice well. In a medium saucepan, combine with 3 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover loosely, and allow to simmer for 25 minutes. Remove from heat, add 1/2 teaspoon salt, and let sit for 10 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
3. Rinse pheasant, and pat dry. Combine rosemary, garlic, minced shallots, and salt and pepper to taste. Rub cavity with mixture. Season outside with salt and pepper. Tie pheasant's legs together with kitchen twine. Tuck wings under breast.
4. Reduce heat to 350 degrees. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a roasting pan over medium heat. Brown bird evenly on all sides, about 15 minutes. Place breast side up; transfer to oven. Cook for about 40 more minutes, basting often, until legs are a little loose when you shake them.
5. Meanwhile, melt 1/2 teaspoon each of butter and oil in a skillet. Add slivered shallots, and cook over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer shallots to a bowl.
6. Melt another 1/2 teaspoon each of butter and oil in skillet. Add fennel slices, and cook for 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl.
7. Melt remaining tablespoon butter in skillet. Add chestnuts; cook for 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup stock and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil and simmer until reduced to a glaze, about 10 minutes. Add remaining stock; simmer until again reduced to a glaze, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
8. Add rice, shallots, fennel, and 1 cup water to skillet and cook for 5 minutes. Add chestnuts. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with pheasant.

Roast Pheasant with Grapes and Walnuts

Pheasant is delicious roasted if the game bird is very young. Ask your butcher for a young female pheasant, since their flesh is juicier than older pheasants. As easy to roast as turkey or chicken, pheasant is somewhat less fatty and, if not farm-raised, far more flavorful than commercial poultry.Ingredients
Serves 4
Ingredients
• One 4-pound pheasant, washed and patted dry
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 cup mixed fresh herbs, such as rosemary, thyme, savory, and basil
• 1 lemon, quartered
• 8 cipolline onions
• 1 cup Chicken Stock, or low-sodium canned
• 1/2 cup Marsala wine
• 1 cup mixed green and red grapes
• 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
• 8 large radicchio leaves
Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Rub the pheasant with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Stuff with fresh herbs and the lemon and truss. Spread the onions in a roasting pan and lay the pheasant on top of them. Add the chicken stock and Marsala wine to the pan.
3. Roast 35 to 45 minutes, or until the thigh juices run clear when pricked with a fork, basting every 15 to 20 minutes with the pan juices. If the feet of the pheasant begin to darken, tent with foil. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest.
4. Meanwhile, transfer the roasting pan to the stovetop, skim the fat, and bring the pan juices to a boil, scraping any browned bits from the pan. Add the grapes and walnuts and cook 15 minutes, or until the grapes are soft and the juices are thickened. Crush some of the grapes with the back of a spoon to release their juices.
5. Slice the pheasant into 1/4-inch slices and serve over the radicchio. Spoon the grapes and walnuts alongside and season with salt and pepper.

PHEASANT Braised-Stewed-and Poached (BY; Cavendish Game Birds) 4-Recipes

BRAISED PHEASANT WITH WHITE BEANS AND ROSEMARY
2 servings
Ingredients
4 Vermont farm-raised pheasant, boneless thighs
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 medium Spanish onions, diced (about 2 ½ cups)
½ tsp dried thyme
2 whole cloves
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
3 cups chicken stock, defatted
1 cup dry red wine
1 cup cooked white beans
2 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
Asiago cheese, grated
Fresh parsley, minced
Directions
Season pheasant thighs with salt and pepper.
Heat oil in a large sauté pan (9-10”) over medium heat.
Add onion, thyme, cloves and garlic, and cook until onion softens, about five minutes.
Add thighs and cook until skin side is golden, turning once; about five minutes per side.
Drain off excess fat.
Whisk tomato paste into stock. Add to pot with wine and bring to a boil over high heat.
Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for one hour.
Remove thighs and keep covered in warm oven.
Skim fat from liquid and increase to high heat.
Boil until reduced to 1-1/2 cups, about 10 minutes. Strain and season to taste.
Scatter plates with white beans and rosemary. Arrange 2 thighs in center of each plate and pour over sauce. Garnish with freshly grated Asiago cheese and minced parsley.
Note: This recipe can easily be converted into a soup. Simply dice thigh meat and add back to liquid along with white beans and rosemary. Thin with chicken stock to desired consistency and taste. Season. Garnish with Asiago cheese and parsley.
1 - two lb. Vermont farm-raised pheasant, whole
2 tsp. olive oil
1 onion, vertically sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups gamebird or chicken stock
12 dried apricots, slivered
12 prunes, halved
¼ cup sherry vinegar
salt and pepper
chopped parsley
Directions
Heat olive oil in large sauté pan. Lightly brown pheasant on both sides, remove and set aside.
Add onions and garlic to pan, sauté until golden. Add stock, apricots, prunes, and sherry vinegar to pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; return pheasant to pan and cover. Simmer 25-30 minutes until pheasant is cooked. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove bird from the pan. Reduce sauce to medium consistency. Pour over pheasant. Garnish with parsley.
Goes well with white or wild rice with pistachios.
2 Vermont farm-raised pheasant, boneless breasts
½ cup water
½ cup brown sugar
1 cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
Directions
Bring ½ cup water to a boil in a small saucepan and dissolve brown sugar in it. Add raspberries and boil gently for five minutes. Press through a sieve to remove seeds, then stir in vinegar, salt and pepper.
Marinate pheasant breasts in raspberry sauce, refrigerated for a least two hours (and as long as overnight).
Drain pheasant, reserving marinade, and sauté in oil over medium heat for seven minutes on each side (or until no longer pink inside). Add marinade and turn meat several times to coat well with hot sauce and serve.
Enjoy with white or wild rice and vegetables of choice.
4 Vermont farm-raised pheasant, boneless breasts
12 Tbsp (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup dry Champagne (Brut) or dry white wine
3 Tbsp shallots, finely minced
¼ cup heavy cream
salt and freshly ground pepper
parsley, minced
Directions
Lightly coat bottom of a large (9-10”) sauté pan with some of the butter. Remove skin from breasts. Place in pan, lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper, and add Champagne or white wine. Cover tightly. Poach breasts by simmering very gently three to four minutes per side, or until no longer pink inside. Remove breasts from pan, place on plate and wrap in aluminum foil to retain moisture, reserve in warm oven.
Increase heat to high, add shallots and cream to champagne or white wine, and reduce to 1/3 cup—about 7-8 minutes. Reduce heat to very low and swirl in butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Remove from heat and strain out shallots. Season to taste.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roasting Wild Pheasant
Roasted Pheasants w/Apricots and Dates
Food & Wine publication
Ingredients
1/2 cup dried apricots
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from about 2 large limes)
2 tablespoons sugar
two 2 1/2- to 3-pound pheasants (if wild, remove legs for another Dish or recipe)
freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 teaspoons dried thyme, crumbled
2 bay leaves
vegetable oil for brushing pheasants
1/2 cup pitted dates, chopped
Garnish: fresh thyme sprigs
Preparation
In a small heatproof bowl cover apricots with boiling water and soak 10 minutes. Drain apricots and cut into quarters. In a small saucepan simmer wine, liqueur, lime juice, and sugar 5 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Cut off legs of pheasants and reserve for another use. Sprinkle pheasants inside and out with pepper and salt to taste. Put 1 teaspoon thyme and 1 bay leaf in cavity of each pheasant and close cavities with skewers or toothpicks so that pheasants hold their shape.
Brush pheasants with oil and in a roasting pan arrange, breast side down. Roast pheasants 20 minutes and discard any fat in roasting pan. Turn pheasants over and to pan add apricots, wine mixture, and dates. Roast pheasants, adding about 1/2 cup water if all liquid evaporates, 25 minutes more, or until thermometer inserted in thickest part of breast registers 160°F. Let pheasants stand 10 minutes.
Transfer pheasants to a cutting board and cut each in half. Serve pheasants with apricot date sauce and garnish with thyme.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:37 pm

And I thought someone was looking for Pheasant recipes.

Could have fooled me.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:12 pm

Oh...you were talking about pheasant!

9outof10

Post by 9outof10 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:10 pm

falvegas wrote:And I thought someone was looking for Pheasant recipes.

Could have fooled me.
The pheasant slaughter is Sunday morning. I hope it goes better than my chicken slaughter when I tried to cut my thumb back off. I loove the recipes you posted and I will let you know how I prepare it and how it turns out.

Charybdis
I was "Tea Party" before it became fashionable

Post by Charybdis » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:38 pm

9outof10 wrote:
falvegas wrote:And I thought someone was looking for Pheasant recipes.

Could have fooled me.
The pheasant slaughter is Sunday morning. I hope it goes better than my chicken slaughter when I tried to cut my thumb back off. I loove the recipes you posted and I will let you know how I prepare it and how it turns out.
I must say, 9. You've avie is quite suitable for the task of bird slaughter. :lol:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:32 pm

:lolh: It is, isn't it! I wonder why I didn't notice that! :lolh: