From the Master of flavors I give you Beef Noodle Casserole

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
StarryNightDave
Mentative

From the Master of flavors I give you Beef Noodle Casserole

Post by StarryNightDave » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:26 pm

That's right. The MASTER of Flavors Chef Paul Prudhomme. I just made this and thought that some of you might want to try it. A Casserole is pretty tame stuff for a Chef. So, you know there has to be a reason for someone like Chef Prudhomme to put this in one of his cookbooks. (You can't get this anymore unless you find a used copy.)

So, here goes . . .

BEEF NOODLE CASSEROLE

Seasoning Mix:
1 tablespoon salt
1-3/4 teaspoons onion powder
1-3/4 teaspoons garlic powder
1-3/4 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
1-1/2 teaspoons white pepper
1-1/4 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
1-1/4 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon black pepper

1 (12 ounce) bag medium egg noodles
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, in all
1-1/2 pounds ground sirloin
4 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 cup chopped green onions (tops and bottoms)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1-1/2 cups chopped onions
1 cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
2-1/2 cups beef stock, in all
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine the seasoning mix ingredients thoroughly in a small bowl. Makes 1/4 cup plus
1-1/4 teaspoon.

Cook the noodles al dente according to package directions. Rinse under hot water, then cold water, and drain. Pour 1 teaspoon of the oil into your hands and rub into the noodles. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of the seasoning mix over the noodles and blend well with your hands.

Place the ground sirloin in a bowl, add 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of the seasoning mix, and blend it in well with your hands.

Combine the cream cheese, sour cream, line juice, green onions and parsley in a bowl and mix thoroughly with a spoon until completely blended.

Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a 10-inch skillet over high heat until very hot, about 4 minutes. Add the onions, celery, garlic and the remaining seasoning mix and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are golden brown and sticking to the bottom of the skillet, about 7 to 8 minutes. Add 1/2 of the cup of beef stock, scrape the crust from the bottom of the skillet, and cook until another crust forms on the skillet bottom, about 3 minutes. Add another 1/2 cup stock, scrape up the crust on the skillet bottom, and cook 2 minutes.

Add the seasoned meat, breaking it up with a spoon and cook, scraping occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 7 to 9 minutes. (Be careful not to let the meat get too dry.) Add the butter and cook 3 to 5 minutes, without stirring, to allow another crust to form. Stir in the tomato sauce, scrape the bottom of the skillet, and cook 3 to 4 minutes. Add the remaining 1-1/2 cups stock and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream mixture until completely blended.

Spread half the seasoned noodles in the bottom of a deep 10-inch square casserole. Pour about 3 cups of the meat mixture over the noodles and sprinkle with the Monterey Jack cheese. Add the remaining noodles, cover with the remaining meat mixture, and sprinkle the Cheddar cheese, evenly over the top. Bake, uncovered, 25 to 30 minutes, or until brown and bubbly.

Spoon up and serve with a crisp salad.

---------------------------------------
I sometimes leave out the step where you put 4 tablespoons of butter into the ground beef and it turns out just fine. I have to do my cooking in view of a clock so I can time things as he specifies in the instructions. Also, don't be afraid of using high heat with this recipe. He really means that the food should stick to the bottom of the pan. You then release this with liquid and scrape it off to release the flavors. I use Swanson or College Inn beef broth in the cardboard boxes.

I think this is a very masterful recipe because he has blended not only flavors, but the fats of these various foods. This recipe has olive oil, beef fat, butter, sour cream, and cream cheese, plus the Monterey Jack and sharp Cheddar cheeses. When blended in with the tomato sauce and lime juice, this all melts into a very rich creamy sauce. TOTALLY worth the time and effort. I have made this about a dozen times over the past 15 years or so, and I find that I learn a little more about cooking each time.

Amazon has used copies of his books if you are interested. This is from Chef Paul Prudhomme's Seasoned America. which they sell, but they will link you to other sellers who carry used and out of print books.

ToBeannounced

Re: From the Master of flavors I give you Beef Noodle Casser

Post by ToBeannounced » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:33 pm

Dave, this sounds similar to a stroganoff-type dish.
Last edited by ToBeannounced on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Re: From the Master of flavors I give you Beef Noodle Casserole

Post by abbi » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:03 am

iamlookingup wrote:We made this for dinner tonight. It's still in the oven, but it smells wonderful. :drool:

It took a while to put it all together...in a little while, I'll let you know whether or not my family appreciated the effort. :ialu:

;)
Well, what was the verdict.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:18 am

:headscratch:

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:38 pm

You just had to have done something different. This recipe is AMAZING. :noparty:

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:16 pm

Do you use the melted butter? I leave that part out.

And yes - it's great as leftovers!

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Thu May 29, 2014 3:38 pm

I'm gonna make this tonight. :ohyeah:

LandLover

Post by LandLover » Thu May 29, 2014 10:55 pm

Pictures, we need pictures.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Fri May 30, 2014 6:31 am

iamlookingup wrote:
StarryNightDave wrote:Do you use the melted butter? I leave that part out.

And yes - it's great as leftovers!
I use olive oil instead of vegetable oil, and I do use the unsalted butter. I love this recipe. The lime really enhances the flavor.

Sadly, I'm getting ready to attempt to eliminate certain foods from my diet in hopes of stalling some of the inevitable signs of aging, so I probably won't be making this recipe again any time soon. :ohwell:
I too would use the butter... butter makes everything taste better! :lolh: :embarrassed:

I have given up sweets and my AC1's are back to normal... I will stay away from sweets to keep my AC1's normal but I will not give up butter! :lolh:

I would eat and make anything Paul Prudhomme, anything!!!!!

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:25 pm

iamlookingup wrote::embarrassed: My diet has long since gone.

I made this recipe for dinner tonight. As always, it was very good, but goodness gracious, does it take long to prepare!
But so worth it!