Rick's Lemon Chess Pie

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
Justine

Rick's Lemon Chess Pie

Post by Justine » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:45 pm

I searched the internet for a good lemon chess pie. I found this one; it is really fine. My friends loved it and said not to change a single thing about it. I had not previously heard of Rick Dees but his pie recipe is really good.

Rick's Lemon Chess Pie

Ingredients

1 9" Pie Shell
2 Cups sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon yellow corn meal
4 large eggs
1/4 cup of butter, melted
4 tablespoons of finely grated fresh lemon peel
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspon vanilla extract

Directions

Combine sugar, flour, and cornmeal in a large bowl. Toss lightly with fork. Add eggs, butter, milk grated lemon, lemon juice, and vanilla extract to the mixture. Beat with a rotary or elctric beater until smooth and thoroughly blended. Pour into single crust shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 ,inmutes or untiil top is golden brown. Cut pie while warm. Feel free to serve pie by itself or wiht a dallop of Haagan Dass Vanilla ice cream.

This is a gold metal winner!

Note: I didn't read the recipe right and used the zest of 4 lemons; also, the pie got a little too dark after 40 minutes, very dark brown (fortunately not burned) so I sprinkled confectioner's sugar all over it. http://www.rick.com/recipes/6/ricks-lemon-chess-pie

jjjen

Re: Rick's Lemon Chess Pie

Post by jjjen » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:34 am

Usually, putting a loose sheet of foil over it will prevent over browning. That looks good.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:32 am

So, the lemon doesn't curdle the dairy products?

Justine

Post by Justine » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:44 pm

no curdling--just velvety lemon

Pipeline

Chocolate Fudge Chess Pie

Post by Pipeline » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:46 am

I bought a chocolate fudge chess pie at the grocery store the other day.

That thing lasted barely more than one day! :)

Great when topped with vanilla ice cream!

Delicious!!

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Re: Chocolate Fudge Chess Pie

Post by StarryNightDave » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:48 am

Pipeline wrote:I bought a chocolate fudge chess pie at the grocery store the other day.

That thing lasted barely more than one day! :)

Great when topped with vanilla ice cream!

Delicious!!
It wasn't deep fried? :lol:

Charybdis
I was "Tea Party" before it became fashionable

Post by Charybdis » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:22 pm

So why do they call it "chess pie"?

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:23 pm

Well, here's an answer that's no answer at all! :lolh: :embarrassed:

Chess pie
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vanilla buttermilk chess pieChess pie is a particularly sugary dessert characteristic of Southern U.S. cuisine. Recipes vary, but are generally similar in that they call for the preparation of a single crust and a filling composed of eggs, butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. What sets chess pie apart from many other custard pies is the substitution of corn meal for flour. Some recipes also call for corn syrup, which tends to create a more gelatinous consistency. The pie is then baked. The result is very sweet and is often consumed with coffee to offset this.

Chess pie is closely related to vinegar pie, and the two terms are often used interchangeably. Vinegar pie generally adds somewhere between a teaspoonful and tablespoonful of vinegar to the above ingredients to "cut the sweetness".

Although preparation of a pecan pie is similar (with the obvious addition of pecans), pecan pie usually contains corn syrup.

The pie seems to have no relation to the game of chess, which has led to much speculation as to the origin of this term. Some theorize that the name of the pie traces back to its ancestral England, where the dessert perhaps evolved from a similar cheese tart, in which the archaic "cheese" was used to describe pies of the same consistency even without that particular ingredient present in the recipe. In North Carolina and Old Salem Cookery, Elizabeth Hedgecock Sparks argues that the name derives from Chester. One folk etymology suggests that it was referred to as "just pie", which soon shortened to "jus' pie" or "jess' pie," and then corrupted to "chess pie". There is also a theory that the word "chess" pie comes from the piece of furniture that was common in the early South called a pie chest or pie safe. Chess pie may have been called chest pie at first because it held up well in the pie chest.

Retrieved from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_pie

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:33 pm

Justine wrote:I searched the internet for a good lemon chess pie. I found this one; it is really fine. My friends loved it and said not to change a single thing about it. I had not previously heard of Rick Dees but his pie recipe is really good.

Rick's Lemon Chess Pie

Ingredients

1 9" Pie Shell
2 Cups sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon yellow corn meal
4 large eggs
1/4 cup of butter, melted
4 tablespoons of finely grated fresh lemon peel
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspon vanilla extract

Directions

Combine sugar, flour, and cornmeal in a large bowl. Toss lightly with fork. Add eggs, butter, milk grated lemon, lemon juice, and vanilla extract to the mixture. Beat with a rotary or elctric beater until smooth and thoroughly blended. Pour into single crust shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 ,inmutes or untiil top is golden brown. Cut pie while warm. Feel free to serve pie by itself or wiht a dallop of Haagan Dass Vanilla ice cream.

This is a gold metal winner!

Note: I didn't read the recipe right and used the zest of 4 lemons; also, the pie got a little too dark after 40 minutes, very dark brown (fortunately not burned) so I sprinkled confectioner's sugar all over it. http://www.rick.com/recipes/6/ricks-lemon-chess-pie

:highfive: Justine, this sounds delicious! :highfive: