CHILIES, SAUCES, PASTES, JELLIES

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
falvegas

CHILIES, SAUCES, PASTES, JELLIES

Post by falvegas » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:44 pm

This is some very basic Chili Information (not all), plus some recipes for:
Green and Red Chili Sauces (for many dishes & Dips)
Southwest Seasoning Mix (a Dry Rub for meats & Poultry)
Mole (Chili-Chocolate paste for Poultry)
Basic Adobo (a Marinating Paste)
Adobo with an Achiote Paste
Sofrito (Aromatic Vegetable Puree for Latin Dishes)
Jalapeno Jelly (for Snacks, Lamb, or a Gift)
Margarita Jam (for Snacks & Deserts)
Avocado Butter (for Bread, Chicken, Fish, Corn)
Taco Sauce (for chicken & beef Tacos, grilled Meats & Poultry)

DRIED CHILIES
Ancho Chili: A dried Poblano. It has a slightly fruity flavor, sweeter than most dry chilies. It's sometimes mistakenly labeled Pasilla.
Cayenne: Usually powdered, bright red. A pungent ‘heat’ slightly acidic, tart, smoky.
Chili De Arbol: Medium heat. Small red, 2 inch long chili adds a smoky flavor to dishes.
Chiltepin: Very hot. Small red, pea size chili, usually crushed into dishes to add heat.
Chipolte: Dried & Smoked Jalapeno Pepper. Medium heat sweet-smoky in flavor (sometimes found in Adobo sauce in markets. Gray/greed color, best crushed dry into dishes, not in Adobo)
New Mexico Reds, which have a 'crisp heat' compared to Guajillo.
(Dry Red Pepper Flakes you find in jars in the market are New Mexico Peppers)
Guajillo Chili: A heat that's somewhat sweet, excellent for salsas, sauces and soups.

FRESH CHILIES

Anaheim: A mild chili, light green, about 6 inches long. It’s usually roasted, often stuffed.
Habanero: ‘Intensely Hot’ Often orange in color, 1-1/2 inch sort-of-round. Used sparingly in Salsas and Marinades.
Jalapeno: Medium-hot to Very-hot. A 2 to 3 inch dark green chili, added to almost anything even deserts and breads.
New Mexico Green: Often confused with the Anaheim, this is much hotter with a sweet earthy flavor. Often roasted for Rellenos, sauces, stews, salsas.
New Mexico Red: Red form of the New Mexico green. Used similarly
Poblano: Fairly mild, dark green, triangular shape chili. Roasting brings out its smoky flavor, good for cheese stuffed Rellenos, and in sauces. (It’s not a Pasilla)
Serrano: Hotter than Jalapeno. Thin 2 inch pepper, with color from dark green to red and a mixture of both. Excellent, the preferred in raw fresh Salsas.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECIPES

Green Chili Sauce
This classic sauce is good over cheese and chicken Enchiladas, Fish, Shrimp, and Chicken dishes
1-Jalapeno Chili, seeded and diced
1-Clove Garlic, crushed
1/4-Cup Green Onions, chopped
4-Tomatillos, husked and diced
1 ½-Cups Chicken Stock
2- New Mexico green or Anaheim Chilies, roasted, peeled, seeded and diced
1/4-Cup fresh Cilantro, chopped
1-TBS Lime Juice
1-TBS heavy Cream
Salt & Pepper to taste
* In a Saucepot place the Jalapeno, Garlic, Onions, Tomatillos, and Stock.
* Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer until liquid is 1-Cup (~15 min)
* Pour into a processor or blender, add Anaheim Chilies, Cilantro, and Lime Juice, and puree until smooth
* Season w/Salt & Pepper. Add Cream, stir again and serve warm. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 days.

Red Chili Sauce
This classic sauce is good over Beef Enchiladas, Tamales, Huevos Rancheros, Southwest Soups, and as a marinade for Steak and Chicken.
10-New Mexico Chilies (Dry, Whole)
1-TBS Olive Oil
1-Cup Onions, finely chopped
2-Cloves Garlic, minced
2-Cups Chicken Stock
2-TBS Lard or vegetable oil
Salt to taste
Preheat Oven to 250 F Deg.
• Place Chilies in a skillet and roast in Oven for 4 minutes.
• Fill Saucepan with Water (large enough to hold chilies), bring to a boil and remove from heat.
• Place Chilies in pot and weight down so submerged until soft, about 20 to 30 minutes.
• Remove chilies and stem, seed, and tear into strips
• Heat olive Oil in na skillet on Low and sauté Onion until browned
• Place Chili Strips, Onion, Garlic and 1-Cup chicken Stock in a processor or blender, puree till smooth, strain.
• * heat the lard or Vegetable oil in a heavy skillet on Medium. Add puree Chili mix to the hot oil and stir about 5 minutes.
• Add as much of remaining Chicken Stock until sauce is desired consistency.
• Season to taste.

Southwest Seasoning Mix (Dry)
Rub this on Meat or Poultry for grilling, as a dry marinade, or to season vegetables. This is ~1/4 Cup. Make 3 to 4 times the amount in summer for grilling.
1 TBS Chili Powder
1 TBS Paprika
1 Tsp Cumin Seed
1 Tsp Coriander, ground
1 Tsp Sugar
1 Tsp Salt, Kosher or Sea
½ Tsp Ground pepper, fresh
½ Tsp Cayenne
Blend all ingredients in a Spice grinder or Blender and store in a seald glass jar (good for a few months)

Mole
Mole is a sauce with Chocolate, ideal for serving on Turkey, Duck, Pork Tenderloin, and Chicken for those wanting to capture a taste of the Southwest.
Ingredients
6 Ancho Chilies
4-TBS lard or Oil
1/4-Cup raw Sesame Seeds
4-Corn Tortillas cut in ½-inch strips
1-Cup Onions, finely chopped
1-Cup Tomatoes, seeded & chopped
1/2-Cup fresh Cilantro, chopped
1-Bay Leaf crushed
1/2 tsp. ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Pepper and 1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. ground Cumin
1/4 tsp. ground Cloves
1/2 tsp. Cayenne
1/2 tsp. oregano
4-OZ. Bittersweet Chocolate, chopped
3 ½-Cups Chicken Stock
½-Cuo Cashews, toasted and chopped
Prepare Mole
* Soak Ancho Chilies in hot water 30 Minutes. Reserve a half cup of the liquid. Stem and seed the Chilies.
* Melt I-TBS lard or oil in a Skillet. Fry Chilies 30 seconds on a side. Remove/reserve
* Toast Sesame Seeds in the skillet and toast for about 1-minute. Remove/reserve
* Melt I-TBS lard or oil in a Skillet. Fry the Tortilla Chips about 2-minutes.
* Place all the above in a Blender plus 1/3 Cup of the Soaking Liquid and puree to a paste. Set Aside.
* In Skillet heat the remaining 2-TBS lard or Oil on Medium High and sauté the Onions until translucent (~3 minutes)
* Add the Tomatoes & Cilantro and cook for 2 minutes
* Add Bay leaf, Cinnamon, pepper, Salt, Cloves, Cumin, Cayenne, and Oregano. Cook ~2 minutes until blended.
* Add chopped Chocolate till melted and blended in.
* Add the Chicken Stick and Cashews and bring to a boil
* Add the Puree Chili Mixture from the first 4 steps , stir well, lower to a simmer, and stir occasionally for 15 to 20 minutes until the mixture thickens.

Basic Adobo, a Marinating Paste
8 Cloves of Garlic, unpeeled
4 Dry Ancho Chilies, stemmed, seeded, de-veined
6 Dry Guajillos Chilies, stemmed, seeded, de-veined
1/2 tsp. ground Cinnamon or ½ inch stick
1-Clove or a pinch ground
8 to 10 Peppercorns or 1/4 tsp. ground
2 Bay Leaves broken up
½ tsp. Cumin seed or 1/8 tsp. ground
½ tsp Dried Oregano
½ tsp Dried Thyme
1 ½ tsp. Salt
1/4 Cup Cider vinegar
** Garlic: Roast garlic in a heavy skillet over medium heat, turn frequently, until black in spots and soft (15 minutes). Remove skin and roughly chop.
** Chilies: Tear chiles in flat pieces and toast them a few at a time on skillet. Press them firmly against the hot surface until they blister, crackle and change color. Flip them over and repeat on the other side.
Break chiles in a bowl, cover with boiling water, use a plate plate to keep them submerged, soak 30 minutes. Drain, tear into smaller pieces, place in a blender jar and add the garlic.
** Finishing: In a spice grinder, pulverize the cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns, bay leaves and cumin.
Add to the chiles in Blender with the oregano, thyme, salt, vinegar and 3 Tb water.
Pulse the mixture to a paste. Scrape down the sides; and repeat 10 times or until the mixture is smooth. (Don't add water unless absolutely necessary or this marinating paste won't do its job). Strain the paste through a medium sieve into a glass container with a tight lid. Cover and refrigerate.
Considerations: After soaking chiles, they can be put through a food mill to remove the skins and the seeds.

Adobo with Achiote (small serving)
Achiote is the Mexican term for the red seeds of the Annatto tree. It has little flavor. In the US it’s used as a food color in cheese. Latin cooks grind the seeds up with Garlic, Chilies, and Spices to make Odobos, or Seasoning Pastes. This is but one basic Adobo paste.
2 tablespoons Achiote Seeds
2 teaspoons Allspice
1 teaspoon Peppercorns
1½ teaspoon Mexican Oregano
3 tablespoons Cider Vinegar
6 Garlic Clove; Peeled
1 teaspoon
In a spice grinder, pulverize the Achiote finely as possible, dump in a bowl.
* Pulverize the Allspice and Pepper with the Oregano.
* Add to the Achiote. Sprinkle in Vinegar and mix thoroughly (it'll be a damp powder).
* Roughly chop Garlic, sprinkle with Salt then use the back of a knife to work into a paste.
Little by little, work in the spice mixture
* Work in 1 to 2 TBS. water needed to give the consistency of a thick paste.

Sofrito
Sofrito is an aromatic vegetable puree. It's the foundation to season many Latin Rice, Soup, Sauce, and Meat dishes. There are many, many variations
Ingredients:
1 Habanero pepper, seeds removed (Optional, Very Hot or use a few slices)
4 to 6 Jalapeno, seeds removed
1 red sweet pepper, seeds removed
2 large tomatoes
2 medium onions, peeled
1 head of garlic, peeled
1 bunch cilantro leaves
4 Epazote leaves (if you can't find Epazote, use Cilantro & flat leaf parsley mix)
Chop and blend all the ingredients in a food processor or blender. Store in a jar in frig.

Jalapeno Jelly
Serve on Crackers with cream cheese, on Toast, Muffins, a condiment for Lamb, on Deserts or a Gift for the holidays.
1 Cup Red Bell Pepper, fine chopped
1 Cup Green Bell Pepper, fine chopped
½ Cup Jalapeno Chili, seeded and minced
6 Cups Sugar
1 ½ Cups Cider Vinegar
¾ Cup Liquid Pectin
** In Heavy Saucepan, stir together the Jalapenos, Red & Green Bell Peppers, Sugar and Vinegar. Boil stirring until the Sugar is dissolved.
** Stir in the Pectin and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
** Remove from heat & let cool until thickened.
** Stir then ladle into sterilized Jelly Jars.
Paraffin sealed will stay 2 months un-refrigerated
Covered will keep 2 to 3 months in the refrigerator

Margarita Jam
Serve on Deserts, Crackers with cream cheese, on Toast, Muffins, a condiment for Beef.
2/3 Cup Tequila
1/3 Cup Triple Sec
2/3 Cup Fresh Lime Juice
6 TBS Lime Zest, grated
3 Cups Sugar
1/3 Cup Liquid Pectin
** In Heavy Saucepan, stir together the first 5 Ingredients. Boil on Medium Heat until the Sugar is dissolved.
** Stir in the Pectin and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
** Stir then ladle into sterilized Jelly Jars.
Paraffin sealed will stay 2 months un-refrigerated
Covered will keep 2 to 3 months in the refrigerator

Avocado Butter
Great on Bread, Chicken, Fish, corn on the Cob. It’ll stay a few days wrapped in the frig. Or place it in molds and serve on a dish on Ice
1/2 Cup Butter, unsalted at room temp.
1/2 Cup Avocado, ripe, mashed.
1/4 Cup Lemon Juice, fresh
2 TBS Parsley, flat leaf, minced.
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
1/8 Tsp red Hot Pepper Sauce
Sea Salt to taste
** Blend all the Ingredients in a processor.
** Season to taste
** Place in decorative bowl or butter molds
Refrigerate up to 1 week.

Taco Sauce
This zesty sauce is good on shredded chicken or beef Tacos, and can accompany grilled Beef, Poultry and Hamburgers.
4 Cups Tomatoes, ripe, quartered
1 TBS vegetable quartered ripeOil
1 Cup Onions, chopped fine
2 garlic Cloves, large, minced
1 Tsp Oregano, dried
1 Tsp Cumin, ground
1 Tsp Coriander, ground
1 TBS Tomato Paste
1 Jalapeno Chili, seeded, minced
2 Tsp Sugar
1 TBS Cilantro, minced
2 Tsp Red Wine Vinegar
Salt & ground pepper to taste
** Puree Tomatoes in the processor
** Heat Oil in a large Skillet on medium
** Add Onions & Garlic and sauté until onions are translucent (~3 minutes)
** Add Oregano, Cumin and Coriander, stirring for 2 minutes.
** Stir in all Remaining Ingredients; T-Paste, Jalapeno, Sugar, Cilantro, Vinegar,
** Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently until thickened (~15 to 20 minutes)
Let cool @ Room temp. Cover & Store up to 1 week in Frig.

falvegas

Re: CHILIES, SAUCES, PASTES, JELLIES

Post by falvegas » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:14 pm

Nobody likes my Southwest Jellies, I'm gonna go eat worms..........

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:50 pm

falvegas wrote:Nobody likes my Southwest Jellies, I'm gonna go eat worms..........
I am sure everybody would love those jellies. But I am exhausted just reading the recipes. I have to go take a pre-bedtime nap. :lol:

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:15 pm

No fresh cayenne? Those are the best, with that slight citrus taste!

Slice them thin and soak in soy sauce an hour before meal time. Serve in small "watch glass" dishes, with the soy, for each diner. Pick up a ring with your fork, or chopsticks, to put in your mouth before taking a bit of food. Don't chew separately, put with the morsel of food.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:18 pm

Fatherducque wrote:No fresh cayenne? Those are the best, with that slight citrus taste!

Slice them thin and soak in soy sauce an hour before meal time. Serve in small "watch glass" dishes, with the soy, for each diner. Pick up a ring with your fork, or chopsticks, to put in your mouth before taking a bit of food. Don't chew separately, put with the morsel of food.
There are so many variations to recipes, all good cooks tailor them to their personal creativeness. These, are Southwest 'Originals'.

Knock yourself out, and think outside the box.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:48 am

Warm Chicken Salad with Goat Cheese

Black Bean & Corn Salad W/Toasted Pumpkin Seeds

Fajitas, Taco Salad, Rio Verde Chicken Enchiladas

LOOKS GOOD, HUH

--

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:39 am

falvegas wrote:Warm Chicken Salad with Goat Cheese

Black Bean & Corn Salad W/Toasted Pumpkin Seeds

Fajitas, Taco Salad, Rio Verde Chicken Enchiladas

LOOKS GOOD, HUH

--
The last ones DO look good. Where are the recipes for them?? :mrgreen:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:51 pm

At home in my kitchen book case,

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:55 pm

falvegas wrote:Nobody likes my Southwest Jellies, I'm gonna go eat worms..........
Use them for fishing instead!

Wal-Mart just put Jalpenos on sale for 58 cents/lb. and I was considering making Jalapeno jelly this weekend. I will try your recipe if things pan out.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:16 pm

Fatherducque wrote:

Wal-Mart just put Jalpenos on sale for 58 cents/lb. and I was considering making Jalapeno jelly this weekend. I will try your recipe if things pan out.
Oh, I told him I was going to make it too! But, I don't think this weekend! Please, if you use the recipe let me know how you do!!!!!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:26 pm

Pixie wrote:
Fatherducque wrote:

Oh, I told him I was going to make it too! But, I don't think this weekend! Please, if you use the recipe let me know how you do!!!!!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:
I think I'll double the amount of Jalapenos though, test, and possibly increase further. At the expense of the red and green peppers.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:50 pm

Ahhh, I'll have to follow the recipe as my palate has not acquired the same taste for heat as yours!

:lolh: :wave:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:20 pm

Pixie wrote:Ahhh, I'll have to follow the recipe as my palate has not acquired the same taste for heat as yours!

:lolh: :wave:
So true.
It's not about 'heat', it's about flavor. Otherwise we'd just saturate the Lelly with as many Habaneros as it would take to ensure 'we burned up on re-entry'. That's for the back-woods crowd.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:29 am

Actually, I am crazy about the Jalapeno flavor, and will tolerate the added heat to get it. Tabasco brand Jalapeno jelly is the only one that has enough Jalapeno flavor to suit me. The others are short on the flavor. When I had a house with a huge garden, I grew a "low-heat" Jalapeno for jelly purposes alone

If you use Ritz crackers, they absorb some of the heat because of their higher oil content.

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:31 am

falvegas wrote:At home in my kitchen book case,
Um, your kitchen book case is about 2,000 miles from me so that isn't going to help. :laugh:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:36 am

abbi wrote:
falvegas wrote:At home in my kitchen book case,
Um, your kitchen book case is about 2,000 miles from me so that isn't going to help. :laugh:
More like 3000 miles......
Anyway, let me know specifically which dish you're interested in and I'll post it. The dishes you see in the photos aren't in my files so I'd have to enter them.