FALVEGAS's HOME OFFICE

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
falvegas

FALVEGAS's HOME OFFICE

Post by falvegas » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:16 pm

THE KITCHEN, falvegas's home office

Bruce Hardwood Floors

falvegas Pot Rack, Ceramic Stove Top

Fireplace attached to Kitchen (not the family room)

Back Yard (where Jake & Sophie play)
Last edited by falvegas on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny 99
Formerly known as "kad"
Location: I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Re: FALVEGAS's HOME OFFICE

Post by Johnny 99 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:58 pm

Very impressive.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:59 pm

Very nice! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:41 pm

It's beautiful. No miocrowave? :shock:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:45 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:It's beautiful. No miocrowave? :shock:
Oh yes there is, Yank. 3rd Photo, to the left of the Wall Pan Rack.
I wanted to keep the Microwave 'out-of' the main cooking area, and others could use it for well, popping corn etc. without coming in the main cooking area.
The Wall Pan Rack was the same idea. I can see them, their handy, but I don't have to rummage through cabinets.

Sometimes there's a method to my maddness.........

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:13 pm

falvegas wrote:
I wanted to keep the Microwave 'out-of' the main cooking area, and others could use it for well, popping corn etc. without coming in the main cooking area.
The Wall Pan Rack was the same idea. I can see them, their handy, but I don't have to rummage through cabinets.

Is that it, under the wreath on the wall?

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:48 am

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
falvegas wrote:

Yup, almost 20 years old, still works great. When it dies, well...I'll think about it. But I will not put a built-in in the Kitchen. I'll put in a built in food warmer or built in steamer before I'll place a microwave in the main traffic area of the Kitchen. 80% of the time, I don't need it handy or it's used for snacks by others. And they don't have to traffic through the Kitchen.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:52 am

Oh, wow! I agree one-hundred percent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No built in microwave... but definitely a warmer!!!!!!!!! There are so many uses for a food warmer!!!!!!!! What a wonderful piece of equipment during the holidays or any time you're entertaining!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:29 am

falvegas wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
falvegas wrote:

Yup, almost 20 years old, still works great. When it dies, well...I'll think about it. But I will not put a built-in in the Kitchen. I'll put in a built in food warmer or built in steamer before I'll place a microwave in the main traffic area of the Kitchen. 80% of the time, I don't need it handy or it's used for snacks by others. And they don't have to traffic through the Kitchen.
Mine is a built-in, and it's very convenient for me, but I am alone so there's nobody to get in my way.I hate to see them on a counter, even though I have tons of counter space considering it's a working kitchen, and not an eat-in. But I can see your point.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:24 am

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
falvegas wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
falvegas wrote:

Mine is a built-in, and it's very convenient for me, but I am alone so there's nobody to get in my way.I hate to see them on a counter, even though I have tons of counter space considering it's a working kitchen, and not an eat-in. But I can see your point.
I thought of it at the time, and it was simply a personal preference. AND although I saved almost $18,000 doing most myself, these projects are expensive. I had a microwave so why did I need another one?

But a built in Warmer, now that is something I find use for far more than my thoughts of having the microwave within arms reach. This is really true around the holidays.

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:37 am

You have an electric stove :shock: :headscratch: I hate cooking on electric. I have to have a gas stove. Your kitchen is beautiful.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:54 am

abbi wrote:You have an electric stove :shock: :headscratch: I hate cooking on electric. I have to have a gas stove. Your kitchen is beautiful.
I am the opposite, I can't cook with gas. Once I had one in an apartment a long time ago, and the other was in a vacation rental property on Cape Cod. On both, no matter how low I turned the flame down, it always burned my spaghetti sauce. :headscratch:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:13 am

abbi wrote:You have an electric stove :shock: :headscratch: I hate cooking on electric. I have to have a gas stove. Your kitchen is beautiful.

No, abbi. I have Gas and Electric. There's a covered Dual Burner next to the ceramic top. I use it about 1/3 of the time. The ceramic top was very expensive. It's very precise, and one of the burners is extemely 'Fast', up to temperature in a few seconds, senses itself, and maintains it.That has some distinct advantages over the old electrics. I can't set the gas burners that precise.

And I have a Gas Stove on the Patio, next to the Grill, which I used a lot on Thanksgiving, having so many things going on at once the last few hours. I can pass things from the Kitchen to the patio (shelf on the K-window). I cook a lot on the Patio, grilled some steak sandwiches out there last weekend, and ate out there...the dogs love that.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:24 am

falvegas wrote:

No, abbi. I have Gas and Electric. There's a covered Dual Burner next to the ceramic top. I use it about 1/4 of the time. The ceramic top was very expensive. It's very precise, and one of the burners is extemely 'Fast', up to temperature in a few seconds, senses itself, and maintains it.That has some distinct advantages over the old electrics. I can't set the gas burners that precise.

And I have a Gas Stove on the Patio, next to the Grill, which I used a lot on Thanksgiving, having so many things going on at once the last few hours. I can pass things from the Kitchen to the patio (shelf on the K-window). I cook a lot on the Patio, grilled some steak sandwiches out there last weekend, and ate out there...the dogs love that.

Instead of the Gas Burners, I was going to put in a Commercial Hood over the Island, and install an 'Inside Grill'. If I lived back in the weather you guys deal with I would have put that in.

Look, this isn't rocket science. I had $20,000 budgeted to do my kitchen. The Lowest bid was $34,000, the highest just under $40,000. By doing it myself it cost me just over $18,000, Cash.

I could have easily spent $100,000, but that's not the way I think. I don't owe anyone, anything.

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:06 pm

falvegas wrote:
falvegas wrote:

No, abbi. I have Gas and Electric. There's a covered Dual Burner next to the ceramic top. I use it about 1/4 of the time. The ceramic top was very expensive. It's very precise, and one of the burners is extemely 'Fast', up to temperature in a few seconds, senses itself, and maintains it.That has some distinct advantages over the old electrics. I can't set the gas burners that precise.

Instead of the Gas Burners, I was going to put in a Commercial Hood over the Island, and install an 'Inside Grill'. If I lived back in the weather you guys deal with I would have put that in.

Look, this isn't rocket science. I had $20,000 budgeted to do my kitchen. The Lowest bid was $34,000, the highest just under $40,000. By doing it myself it cost me just over $18,000, Cash.

I could have easily spent $100,000, but that's not the way I think. I don't owe anyone, anything.
WOW!!!!! That's awesome. What a rockin kitchen. Someday I'll have my dream kitchen, I hope :pray:

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:08 pm

abbi wrote:
falvegas wrote:
falvegas wrote:

WOW!!!!! That's awesome. What a rockin kitchen. Someday I'll have my dream kitchen, I hope :pray:
Start watching HGTV. Some of those kitchens are not to be believed.

ToBeannounced

Post by ToBeannounced » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:26 pm

Fal, your pot rack on the wall reminds me of one of my favourite tv shows. Canadian chef Michael Smith, has a utensil board on his kitchen wall that is to die for. If it were me? I'd make it magnetized! Would that not be the coolest thing?

See his utensil board here:

http://www.chefmichaelsmith.ca/en/home/ ... fault.aspx

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:37 pm

ToBeannounced wrote:Fal, your pot rack on the wall reminds me of one of my favourite tv shows. Canadian chef Michael Smith, has a utensil board on his kitchen wall that is to die for. If it were me? I'd make it magnetized! Would that not be the coolest thing?

The one you see uses very Robust metal hooks, necessarily, as some pans are heavy but many are anodized 'Aluminum', 'Copper' and 'Stainless' which will not support magnetism. The wall rack must be sized to directly bolt through the Wall Studs to properly support the total weight. It really must be done right. And; I didn't want an overhead rack inside the Kitchen work area. I pushed as much outside the main counter as I functionally could. Most of the everyday pots, and utensils are stored in the cabinets e.g. under the stove-top. Non essential everyday pans are outside.

Is Michael any good? What's his Forte?

ToBeannounced

Post by ToBeannounced » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:42 pm

falvegas wrote:
ToBeannounced wrote:Fal, your pot rack on the wall reminds me of one of my favourite tv shows. Canadian chef Michael Smith, has a utensil board on his kitchen wall that is to die for. If it were me? I'd make it magnetized! Would that not be the coolest thing?

The one you see uses very Robust metal hooks, necessarily, as some pans are heavy but many are anodized 'Aluminum', 'Copper' and 'Stainless' which will not support magnetism. The wall rack must be sized to directly bolt through the Wall Studs to properly support the total weight. It really must be done right. And; I didn't want an overhead rack inside the Kitchen work area. I pushed as much outside the main counter as I functionally could. Most of the everyday pots, and utensils are stored in the cabinets e.g. under the stove-top. Non essential everyday pans are outside.
Very nice!

Michael's are for utensils only. Very convenient as you are cooking and able to pull the needed utensil off the wall! :TTC:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:52 pm

ToBeannounced wrote:
falvegas wrote:

Very nice!

Michael's are for utensils only. Very convenient as you are cooking and able to pull the needed utensil off the wall! :TTC:
I noticed. But they must be Carbon Steel or Iron to capture magnetically. Or one needs separate magnetic hooks. I wouldn't have a wall to conveniently put that many things so they are right at my fingertips. Most everything in the Kitchen is right at my reach...where 1 need it or they're doubled in separate drawers, knife racks etc.

9outof10

Post by 9outof10 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:37 pm

Great Kitchen Falve. I have something similar to your wall pot rack. One day I was antiquing and I found an old wood rung ladder. About 7 feet long. The same length as my kitchen island. So I hung that baby up from the ceiling. Found some old antique hay hooks and now I have my pots hanging from them.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:45 pm

9outof10 wrote:Great Kitchen Falve. I have something similar to your wall pot rack. One day I was antiquing and I found an old wood rung ladder. About 7 feet long. The same length as my kitchen island. So I hung that baby up from the ceiling. Found some old antique hay hooks and now I have my pots hanging from them.
Good move, 9/10. Frugal also, I like that.

Most of my everyday pans n'stuff are in the Kitchen cabinets. Only get to the rack when I need something special, or I'm cooking for a crowd ...which is quite often during the holidays.