Onions, HELP!

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
SuzyQcsu

Onions, HELP!

Post by SuzyQcsu » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:59 pm

So I was helping a client today and ended up dicing no less than 5 onions.

PLEASE HELP MY HANDS! How do I get rid of the smell? I have washed them lots of times and it has been hours.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Re: Onions, HELP!

Post by tattulip » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:09 am

Lemon juice works I think. If not, dunk them in bleach.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:43 am

SuzyQcsu wrote:So I was helping a client today and ended up dicing no less than 5 onions.

PLEASE HELP MY HANDS! How do I get rid of the smell? I have washed them lots of times and it has been hours.
I've never had to use the method but I've been told:

** Put a Tablespoon or two of Salt (Table) in your hands, and mix a little water in it to make a sort of paste. Rub this all over your hands well. This sounds like it will work, and exfoliate your hands. Bicarbonate of Soda actually sounds better.
** Others say to use lemon juice, soak hands for 3 or 4 minutes. Or Vinegar (I don't know about that one, seems you'd then have a vinegar scent)

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:25 am

falvegas wrote:
SuzyQcsu wrote:So I was helping a client today and ended up dicing no less than 5 onions.

I've never had to use the method but I've been told:

** Put a Tablespoon or two of Salt (Table) in your hands, and mix a little water in it to make a sort of paste. Rub this all over your hands well. This sounds like it will work, and exfoliate your hands. Bicarbonate of Soda actually sounds better.
** Others say to use lemon juice, soak hands for 3 or 4 minutes. Or Vinegar (I don't know about that one, seems you'd then have a vinegar scent)
This is what I know. The only other thing, I've talked with some that use the lemon juice with the salt instead of the water to make the paste.

GoodBoy
...is a Good Boy
Location: I will Pray for Obama... Prayer triumphs over anger.

Post by GoodBoy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:47 am

You can rub something made of stainless steel over your hands while holding them under running water and it will take the smell away. Maybe a large serving spoon or so ladle. I think Pampered Chef or Williams Sonoma even sells a stainless "bar of soap" for just that purpose.
Last edited by GoodBoy on Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:55 pm

I trust something worked.
No feedback............

SuzyQcsu

Post by SuzyQcsu » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:31 pm

falvegas wrote:

I trust something worked.
No feedback............

You can see I frequent in here often :embarrassed: Sorry.

I couldn't find anybody with lemon juice and I was working so many hours I didn't have time to get to grocery store while open.

I did find some Lemon Joy dishwashing soap and it helped. Thank you all for the ideas.

DSMBaptist
Perma-Newb™
Location: Destroying the New World Order and putting NEOCONS in their place!

Post by DSMBaptist » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:22 pm

Suzi, I'm glad that you found what worked! :cheer:

Something to remember here: All of us are uniquely designed by God and some of these solutions may very well work on some while others will not. It all has to do with your personal body chemistry, IMHO

In a similar vein, when I was a kid, I used to pick mulberries with some neighbor girls from a tree that was in an abandoned lot next to their house. Lisa and Shelly and I would have our hands full of black berry juice. Well, in that same abandoned lot, there was a cherry tree, and after we would fill our bellies with mulberries, we somehow always found room for some cherries. Well, just by dumb luck, I found out that the cherry juice would cut the mulberry juice, and our parents NEVER found out that we were in that yard when we were told NOT to go there! :teehee:

Sneaky little brats, weren't we? :mrgreen:

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:47 pm

I have heard some famous chefs recommend using COLD water to wash onion and garlic off of your hands. Hot water tends to bake the smell into your skin. I have tried the cold water and it does help. I also use dishwashing detergent, like Ivory or Dawn, to wash my hands with.