I need good recipes with barley, please! :)

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
MUTNODJMET
Mummies Made While You Wait.

I need good recipes with barley, please! :)

Post by MUTNODJMET » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:42 pm

Dear CC Chefs:

Thanks to your response in my simple recipes thread. I was wondering if any of you had good recipes featuring barley. I loved cooked barley, and would love a few ideas of how to expand my recipe list with it!

Thanks tons.

Leslie

falvegas

Re: I need good recipes with barley, please! :)

Post by falvegas » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:06 pm

Barley Mushroom Stew with Biscuit Crust
This is strictly vegetarian but excellent nourishment.
If you need the recipe for Biscuits and how to make Vegetable Stock…SCREAM at us!

Ingredients
¾ Cup garbanzo beans (dried Chick Peas), rinsed & drained (Soaked ~ 3 Hours)
2 TBS Oil, Vegetable or Olive
18 Pearl Onions, peeled
4 Carrots, peeled & cut into 1 ½ inch diagonal slices
2 Celery Stalks & cut into 1 ½ inch diagonal slices
2 TBS Flour (All Purpose)
6 Vegetable Stock (make own (best) or store bought)
1 Tsp Herbes de Provence (mix of traditional Herbs with Lavender, available in markets)
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
1/3 Cup Pearl Barley
¾ Lb Red Potatoes, quartered
1 Cup Sugar Snap Peas, trimmed
¾ Lb. Mushrooms, fresh, white, brushed, halved (or fresh mushroom of choice)
S & P
12 Biscuits, Buttermilk (Home made or Market variety)
Directions
** Boil Garbanzo (chic peas) in water to cover. Reduce to a simmer for 45 to 60 minutes until tender. Drain, set aside.
** In a Soup Pot on medium, warm the Oil.
** Add the Garbanzo Bans, Pearl Onions, Carrots, Celery & stir briefly.
** Sift the Flour over the Vegetables. Cook stirring for 2 to 3 minutes, Do Not Brown.
** Add the Stock, Herbes de Provence, Garlic and Barley, and bring to a Boil. Reduce heat to Low and simmer, uncovered, until the Veggies are tender when pierced with w fork. (~ 30 minutes)
** Add the Potatoes, Cover, and cook over medium heat until tender (~30 minutes)
** Add the Snap Peas and Mushrooms, cook ~5 minutes more. Season with S & P to taste. Transfer to a 7 or 8 inch diameter Baking Dish.
Pre-Heat Oven to 400 F Degrees
** Arrange Biscuits on top of the Stew.
** Bake until Biscuits are Golden and Stew is bubbling.

This recipe is from my cook books but you can find others in the following:

http://www.epicurious.com/tools/searchr ... ppetit.com

Also:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/deleg ... hType=site

Pay little attention to those on Ramen...their days are numbered.
Last edited by falvegas on Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

College Boy
You can call me College Professor Boy
Location: Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun, or the rain.

Post by College Boy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:14 pm

Malt the barley. Combine it with water, hops, yeast. Allow to sit in a dark place for three weeks. Add a small amount of sugar and bottle. Allow to sit for a few more weeks.

-Mike

MUTNODJMET

Post by MUTNODJMET » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:19 pm

college boy wrote:Malt the barley. Combine it with water, hops, yeast. Allow to sit in a dark place for three weeks. Add a small amount of sugar and bottle. Allow to sit for a few more weeks.

-Mike
:roll:

:laugh:

MUTNODJMET

Post by MUTNODJMET » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:21 pm

falvegas: Are the biscuits baked before placing them on top, or after?

I love this idea; I want to try this next week.

MUT

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:36 am

MUTNODJMET wrote:falvegas: Are the biscuits baked before placing them on top, or after?

I love this idea; I want to try this next week.

MUT
No they're not baked first. Whether you make them or open a package, they're about 1/2 inch by 2 inch rounds. If you want a recipe for the Buscuits I can post it. I assumed you can make them. For this recipe, personally, I probably would buy them until I found I really liked it.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:50 am

falvegas wrote:Barley Mushroom Stew with Biscuit Crust
This is strictly vegetarian but excellent nourishment.
If you need the recipe for Biscuits and how to make Vegetable Stock…SCREAM at us!

Ingredients
¾ Cup garbanzo beans (dried Chick Peas), rinsed & drained (Soaked ~ 3 Hours)
2 TBS Oil, Vegetable or Olive
18 Pearl Onions, peeled
4 Carrots, peeled & cut into 1 ½ inch diagonal slices
2 Celery Stalks & cut into 1 ½ inch diagonal slices
2 TBS Flour (All Purpose)
6 Vegetable Stock (make own (best) or store bought)
1 Tsp Herbes de Provence (mix of traditional Herbs with Lavender, available in markets)
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
1/3 Cup Pearl Barley
¾ Lb Red Potatoes, quartered
1 Cup Sugar Snap Peas, trimmed
¾ Lb. Mushrooms, fresh, white, brushed, halved (or fresh mushroom of choice)
S & P
12 Biscuits, Buttermilk (Home made or Market variety)
Directions
** Boil Garbanzo (chic peas) in water to cover. Reduce to a simmer for 45 to 60 minutes until tender. Drain, set aside.
** In a Soup Pot on medium, warm the Oil.
** Add the Garbanzo Bans, Pearl Onions, Carrots, Celery & stir briefly.
** Sift the Flour over the Vegetables. Cook stirring for 2 to 3 minutes, Do Not Brown.
** Add the Stock, Herbes de Provence, Garlic and Barley, and bring to a Boil. Reduce heat to Low and simmer, uncovered, until the Veggies are tender when pierced with w fork. (~ 30 minutes)
** Add the Potatoes, Cover, and cook over medium heat until tender (~30 minutes)
** Add the Snap Peas and Mushrooms, cook ~5 minutes more. Season with S & P to taste. Transfer to a 7 or 8 inch diameter Baking Dish.
Pre-Heat Oven to 400 F Degrees
** Arrange Biscuits on top of the Stew.
** Bake until Biscuits are Golden and Stew is bubbling.

This recipe is from my cook books but you can find others in the following:

http://www.epicurious.com/tools/searchr ... ppetit.com

Also:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/deleg ... hType=site

Pay little attention to those on Ramen...their days are numbered.
Wow, does this sound good!!!!!!!!!! :yes:

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:59 am

Barley Risotto with Asparagus and Hazelnuts
Gourmet | April 2007

Pearl barley makes a wonderful risotto: It retains its distinct chew while easily releasing its starch to create a risotto as creamy as one made with Arborio rice — and with barely any stirring. Since I can't be bothered to make vegetable stocks ahead and I don't like canned versions, I've made the most of the asparagus in this dish. Using the stalks, tips, and even the cooking water makes the risotto sing with asparagus's springtime flavor.

Yield: Makes 4 servings
Active Time: 30 min
Total Time: 1 1/2 hr

1 1/2 pounds medium asparagus, trimmed
5 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/4 cups pearl barley
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 garlic clove
1 1/4 teaspoons finely grated fresh lemon zest
1 ounce finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (about 1/2 cup) plus additional for serving
1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped

Cut top third of each asparagus stalk diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices, reserving tips and slices together, then coarsely chop remainder. Bring water (5 1/2 cups) and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a 3- to 4-quart saucepan, then add chopped asparagus and cook, uncovered, until very tender, 6 to 7 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a food processor (not a blender, which would require adding liquid).

Add reserved asparagus tips and slices to boiling water and cook, uncovered, until crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer with slotted spoon to a sieve, reserving cooking liquid in pan, and rinse under cold water to stop cooking. Drain well and reserve in another bowl.

Measure cooking liquid and, if necessary, add enough water to bring total to 4 cups, then reserve.

Cook onion with pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt in oil in a 4- to 5-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add barley and cook, stirring, 1 minute.

Add wine and boil, stirring, until liquid is absorbed, about 1 minute.

Add 4 cups reserved asparagus-cooking liquid and bring to a boil, covered, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until barley is tender (it should be chewy) and mixture is thickened to a stewlike consistency, 35 to 40 minutes.

Meanwhile, mince garlic and mash to a paste with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt using side of a large heavy knife, then add to asparagus in food processor along with zest and purée until smooth.

When barley is cooked, stir in asparagus purée, asparagus-tip mixture, and enough additional water to thin to desired consistency and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until hot, about 1 minute. Stir in cheese, then season with salt and pepper. Serve with hazelnuts and additional cheese on the side.

Cooks' Notes
·Barley can be cooked in about half the time in a 6- to 8-quart pressure cooker. Follow recipe, cooking onion in pressure cooker, uncovered, then adding barley and wine as directed above. After adding asparagus-cooking liquid, seal pressure cooker with lid and cook at high pressure, according to manufacturer's instructions, 18 minutes. Put pressure cooker in sink (do not remove lid) and run cold water over lid until pressure goes down completely. Remove lid and continue with recipe, using pressure cooker (without lid) as a pot.
·Asparagus can be cut and cooked, chopped stalks puréed, and cooking water reserved 1 day ahead, then chilled in separate airtight containers.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
MUTNODJMET, I apologize for not remembering but are you a vegetarian? I have a few more recipes but they include meat. Also, if you're not a vegetarian I would, personally, replace the water in this recipe with chicken stock.

MUTNODJMET

Post by MUTNODJMET » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:48 pm

MUTNODJMET, I apologize for not remembering but are you a vegetarian? I have a few more recipes but they include meat. Also, if you're not a vegetarian I would, personally, replace the water in this recipe with chicken stock.
Thanks for the gracious concern, Pixie. :)

No, I am the opposite of a vegetarian. :mrgreen:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:19 pm

Beef, Mushroom, and Barley Soup

• 1 1/2 oz dried mushrooms
• 3 cups boiling-hot water plus 8 cups cold water
• 1 pound cross-cut beef short ribs or flanken
• 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
• 2 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch dice
• 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch dice
• 1/2 pound fresh cremini mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1/2 cup pearl barley
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill

Preparation
** Soak dried mushrooms in boiling-hot water in a bowl until softened, about 20 minutes. Drain in a paper-towel-lined sieve set over a bowl and reserve soaking liquid. Rinse mushrooms, pat dry, and finely chop.
** Bring soaked mushrooms, soaking liquid, ribs, salt, pepper, and remaining 8 cups water to a boil in a 6- to 8-quart pot, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, skimming foam, until meat is just tender, about 1 hour. Transfer ribs with a slotted spoon to a cutting board to cool, reserving broth.
** While meat simmers, cook onion, carrots, celery, and creminis in oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until well browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in barley and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
** Discard bones, fat, and gristle from meat, then cut meat into 1/2-inch pieces and add to broth along with barley mixture. Simmer, uncovered, until barley is tender, about 40 minutes. Skim fat from surface, then stir in dill and salt to taste.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:20 pm

Beef and Barley Stew

Ingredients
2 tbsp vegetable oil
875 g braising steak, cut into 5 cm cubes
375 g onions, sliced
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
550 ml bottle brown ale (dark ale)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
250 g carrots, sliced into thick chunks
100 g pearl barley
Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F) gas mark 3.
2. Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole over a moderate heat.
3. Brown the beef in two batches on all sides until well browned, this takes about 5 minutes.
4. Transfer to a warm plate.
5. Add the sliced onions and fry for 5 minutes or until the edges become browned.
6. Return the beef to the casserole with the herbs and seasoning.
7. Add the ale and bring up to the boil.
8. Cover and cook in the centre of the oven for 1 1/2 hours.
9. Add the carrots and barley and cook for another hour.
serves 4 - 6