I need simple dinner recipes for family of 3, please!

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
MUTNODJMET
Mummies Made While You Wait.

I need simple dinner recipes for family of 3, please!

Post by MUTNODJMET » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:38 pm

Dear Friends:

My beloved Horemheb is pretty much an obsessive compulsive neat freak (but very cute). Subsequently, though I like to cook and bake -- and enjoy the challenge of doing a new recipe -- I am limited to one pot or pan, my crock pot, my microwave, and my rice cooker for the sake of my sanity.

I wanted to try and do one or two new recipes each month to get out of the cooking rut I am in. If any of you have dinners, especially those that appeal to 7 year olds and are not too spicy, and are simple to make (30 minutes or so from start to finish) that utilize any of my preferred equipment items listed above, it would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

MUT

falvegas

Re: I need simple dinner recipes for family of 3, please!

Post by falvegas » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:45 pm

MUTNODJMET wrote:Dear Friends:

My beloved Horemheb is pretty much an obsessive compulsive neat freak (but very cute). Subsequently, though I like to cook and bake -- and enjoy the challenge of doing a new recipe -- I am limited to one pot or pan, my crock pot, my microwave, and my rice cooker for the sake of my sanity.

I wanted to try and do one or two new recipes each month to get out of the cooking rut I am in. If any of you have dinners, especially those that appeal to 7 year olds and are not too spicy, and are simple to make (30 minutes or so from start to finish) that utilize any of my preferred equipment items listed above, it would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

MUT
Does anyone have any diet limits or won't-eat ingredients, like spinach, shell fish, whatever?
Is your pot a sauce pot, is it big enpough to cook pasta, like a dutch oven or stock pot?

MUTNODJMET

Post by MUTNODJMET » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:49 pm

falvegas wrote:
Does anyone have any diet limits or won't-eat ingredients, like spinach, shell fish, whatever?
Is your pot a sauce pot, is it big enpough to cook pasta, like a dutch oven or stock pot?
falvegas: Good questions; allow me to follow-up. My boys will eat anything that isn't "spicy" (either too hot -- like Mexican -- or overly spiced up (i.e., a lot of herbs in the mixture)). Simple fare with a light touch on the herbs and spices is best. I have a big pasta bot, as well as a dutch oven.

For instance, tonight I am doing a crock pot meal. I am slow-cooking pork chops smothered with chicken/mushroom soup. I topped those chops with a spring a fresh rosemary before coating with soup and a can of mushroom slices. I will microwave green beans, and serve the pillsbury cresent rolls. A side of salad with blueberries will complete the dinner menu.
Last edited by MUTNODJMET on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:53 pm

I will have to dig out my old recipes for you. I have some that will work.

Actually, I made myself a cookbook a few years ago and put all my tried and true recipes in it. I mainly made it for my children. They kept calling me and saying, "Mom, how do you make such and such."

It is all pretty plain stuff - nothing like falv and Pixie make. But it's all good. :TTC: Anyway, if anyone wants a copy, let me know.

MUTNODJMET

Post by MUTNODJMET » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:55 pm

tattulip wrote:I will have to dig out my old recipes for you. I have some that will work.
It is all pretty plain stuff - nothing like falv and Pixie make. But it's all good. :TTC: Anyway, if anyone wants a copy, let me know.
I would LOVE a copy; I have started one myself in which I am placing all my solid successes -- that is the one my boys actually request again.

Thanks! :)

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:03 pm

This is a surprisingly simple dish, but it's just elegant when presented. The only thing you can't be is lactose intolerant. it's usually served family style on the large pasta platter with lots of Italian Bread and a Tomato Salad. If you want the Tomato Salad recipe (simple) or another type salad, let us know.

If they like fish, there's a whole bunch of fish recipes in here, salmon, trout, bass and shellfish from lobster to shrimp to fish stews. Theres also the soups..let us know what sort of soups you all enjoy.

Fettuccine alla Romana
(2 large or 4 small servings)

Ingredients
1/2 lb Fettuccine (packaged)
Salt
1/4 Cup Butter, at room temp, cut into 8 pieces
1/2 Cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
1/4 Cup Heavy Cream, heated (Hot but not boiling)
1/2 Cup freshly cooked Peas, preferably freshly shelled (Frozen baby peas OK)
1/3 Cup shredded imported or domestic Prosciutto
3 Sprigs Italian (flat leaf) Parsley, leaves removed and coarsely chopped.
Nutmeg for dusting at the end
Preparation
Its important to have all the ingredients ready. The pasta must be tossed seconds after it’s cooked, and served immediately.
1. Cook Fettuccine in well salted boiling water to the desired doneness. This should 9 to 12 minutes for al dente (depending on water, altitude, and the Pasta) If Fettuccini is fresh, it will take only a few minutes.
2. In the meantime Warm the Serving Platter in the oven. (Should be just barely able to touch the dish)
3. When Fettuccine is nearly done, add the Butter to the Hot Serving Dish. Dust with Nutmeg. When pasta is done, remove dish from the oven. Butter should be melted, stir well.
4. Drain finished Fettuccini through a colander quickly, and place moist pasta into the serving dish. Toss quickly but lightly.
5. Add the Cheese, Cream, Peas, and Prosciutto continuing tossing until combined.
6. Serve platter immediately, and portion.

Serve with a Peppermill, Italian Bread, and Tomato Salad or Salad and Wine of choice

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:23 pm

This can be done in your Slow Cooker or on the stove. In this dish, the ribs come out nearly falling off the bone, and the veretables almost seem as though they were cooked in sugar from their natural sweetness. leftovers are served in Cups with a Rib, Veggies and Stick Croutons, like for lunch. The broth is better than soup, highly nutritious. Very low in Fat because it's discarded when straining the Broth.

Pot-au-Feu with Short Ribs
This is an Americanized version of the French pot eu feu e.g. Paul Bocuse.
6 quarts water
6 pounds beef short ribs
1 onion stuck with 4 cloves
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 thyme sprigs
10 whole peppercorns
Kosher salt
1 small green cabbage (2 pounds), quartered lengthwise and cored (preferably Savoy)
8 leeks, white and light green only
2 celery ribs, halved crosswise
8 carrots, halved crosswise
2 large turnips, peeled and quartered (or can use a bunch of halved radishes)
8 large boiling potatoes, peeled
Dijon mustard (or mayo for the kids), cornichons (pickles) and freshly ground pepper, for serving
Directions:
Boil the water in a large pot. Add the beef and return to a boil; skim. Add the onion, tomato paste, thyme and peppercorns. Season with salt and simmer over very low heat for 3 hours, skimming occasionally. Likely 7 or 8 hours on low in a slow-cooker.
Cook the cabbage in boiling salted water for 5 minutes; drain. Tie the leeks and celery into a bundle with string. Add the cabbage, leek and celery bundle, carrots and turnips to the beef and simmer over moderately low heat for 30 minutes.
Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender, about 20 minutes; drain. Add the potatoes to the beef and cook until all the vegetables and the meat are tender, about 20 minutes longer.
Skim the broth. Remove the leek bundle from the pot and discard the string. Spoon the meat and vegetables into soup plates, ladle a little of the broth over them and serve. Pass the mustard, cornichons, salt and pepper separately.

MY NOTES: This dish is often better chilled then re-heated.
It can be served family style on a large platter, and accompanied with Wide Egg Noodles in Butter and Parsley, including small vinegar Pickles & Baby Onions, Dijon Mustard, Coarse Salt and plenty of French Bread or Croutons. To serve French Style, strain the Broth and serve ‘first’ in soup bowls with French bread. Unwrap cheese cloth from the marrow bones, and use to butter the bread.

In classic pot eu feu there will be Short Ribs, Beef & Veal Shanks, and Marrow Bones wrapped in cheese cloth. Often Oxtails replace the Shanks which can be expensive.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:08 pm

OK. Here's a dozen recipes or a variety of ingredients and involvement. Let's see where that leads you.
All these aren't 30 minutes but most you can do pre-preparation the night before.

Roast Chicken with Rosemary and Lemon
Garnish this Platter with Red Grapes, Grape Tomatoes, whatever and it’s a holiday. Substitute Sage and Orange Juice for the Rosemary & Lemon or your preference.

Ingredients
1. 1 chicken (3 to 3 1/2 pounds)
2. 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
3. Salt
4. Fresh-ground black pepper
5. 4 3-inch-long strips lemon zest
6. 1 small onion, quartered
7. 1 tablespoon olive oil
8. 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
9. 1/2 cup water
Directions
1. Heat the oven to 425°. Rub the cavity of the chicken with the dried rosemary, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and then stuff with the strips of lemon zest and the quartered onion. Twist the wings behind the back of the chicken and tie the legs together. Put the chicken, breast-side up, in a roasting pan. Coat the chicken with the oil and sprinkle it with 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1/8 teaspoon of pepper, and the 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
2. Roast the chicken until it is just done, 50 to 60 minutes. Transfer the bird to a plate and leave to rest in a warm spot for about 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, pour off the fat from the roasting pan. Set the pan over moderate heat and add the water. Bring to a boil, scraping the bottom of the pan to dislodge any brown bits. Boil until reduced to approximately 1/4 cup, about 4 minutes. Add any accumulated juices from the chicken along with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Serve the bird with the pan juices.

Lentil Soup with Sausage
(Soup can be served with sausage or ham or Plain with a drizzle of Balsamic vinegar and Croutons)

Ingredients
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 medium carrots, finely chopped
1 celery rib, finely chopped
1 1/4 cups lentils (preferably French green)
6 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 oz smoked sausage
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, or to taste

Preparation
* Heat 2 TBS oil in a 4-quart heavy pot over moderate heat.
* Sauté onion, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 6 minutes.
* Add carrots and celery and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
* Add lentils, water, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to moderate and cook, covered, until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
As Lentils cook, heat remaining Oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over high heat until hot but not smoking, and brown the sausage on all sides, about 5 minutes. Cool sausage slightly, then cut into 1/2-inch-thick pieces. Add sausage to soup and stir in vinegar.

Rigatoni with Tomato Sauce and Ricotta
This is an insanely simple recipe I’ve made with homemade Ricotta. Kids should really like this.

1 Lb Rigatoni (Big Tube Pasta with Ribs on the outside)
2 ½ Cups Marinara Sauce (Store Bought or Homemade)
1 Cup Ricotta, homemade or fresh
Parmesan or Romano Cheese
** Cook pasta in boiling salted water until al dente, drain
** Toss Pasta with Marinara Sauce in a Bowl (or pour over it on serving plate)
** Serve on plates with a Dollop of Ricotta on side of plate
** Grate Romano or Parmesan over the top.

Salmon Alaska
In a Fairbanks Alaska park, they had Chunks of Alaska King Salmon in Barrels. They'd pierce a chunk, and throw it on a BBQ Grill until caramelized. The crisp caramelization on the Salmon is amazing, kids should like if they'll eat fish at all.
Ingredients
Salmon Filets, skin & pin bones removed (or Salmon Steak Chunks with skin/bones removed)
Honey, 2 TBS per Salmon Filet
Butter, unsalted, 2 TBS per Salmon Filet
Dill, dry, 1 Tsp per Salmon Filet or 2 Tsp fresh, chopped
1 Lemon per Salmon Filet, juice only
1 Corn Ear, husk & hair removed, brushed clean
Cast-Iron ribbed-bottom grill pan or Stove-Top ribbed grill or BBQ
Directions
* Stir Honey, Butter, Dill and Lemon Juice together in a small pan on Medium-Low until well combined. Remove & let cool slightly
* Set Salmon Filets in a Bowl and cover with Honey/Butter/Dill marinade. Let marinate for ½ Hour. Set a little marinade aside for Corn.
* Brush Corn lightly with marinade
* Grill Salmon on Stove-Top Grill or BBQ on High (Salmon should take 3 to 4 minutes per side per 1 inch thickness). Salmon should be translucent in center.
* Grill Corn until done, or in parallel if on a BBQ

NOTE: If doing this at the stovetop, make sure the exhaust fan is on High. Don't be concerned with the dark crispy coating on the fish, it's part of the rustic nature of the method. This can also be served with grilled Asparagus.

Creamy Angel Hair Pasta with Lemon Shrimp

Ingredients
8 ounces Angel Hair Pasta
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 clove large Garlic, minced
1/2 cup Chicken Broth
2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
1 pound large Shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
1/4 cup whipping Cream
1 tablespoon finely grated Lemon Peel
1/2 teaspoon Salt
3 tablespoons chopped fresh Cilantro

** Prepare Pasta according to package directions; drain.
** Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add Oil and sauté Garlic for 1 minute, or until just golden; do not brown. Add Chicken Broth and Lemon Juice; bring to a boil.
** Add shrimp and cook until pink, about 3 minutes.
** Reduce heat to low, add Parmesan cheese, cream and lemon peel; cook about 3 minutes to thoroughly heat, but do not boil. Season with Salt.
** Combine shrimp mixture and chopped cilantro with the angel hair pasta; toss to mix. Serve immediately.
4 Servings.

Steak Wine-Growers Style
I’ve served this for Christmas Day dinner since everyone is so busy that day. Usually I serve it with huge Onion Rings, Sweet Potato Fries, and a quick Salad. it has Wine in it, but it's reduced.

Ingredients
One Boneless Rib (Rib Eye) Roast (about 2 to 3 Lbs), trimmed.of excess fat around the steak or roast
5 Shallots
1 Onion, large
3 Anchovy Filets, in oil
4 TBS Butter
¾ Cup Red Wine
S & P

Preparation
** Finely chop the Shallots, Onion and Anchovies or process. Reserve in a bowl.
** Salt & Pepper the Roast (still whole) well on all sides
** Melt Butter in a heavy Skillet on medium high.
** Add the Beef and Seer on both sides (6 minutes/side for rare, 8 minutes/side for medium rare). Remove from pan, cover to keep warm.
** Stir Onion Mixture into the same skillet and cook about 4 to 5 minutes until onions soften and begin to brown.
** Stir in the Wine, bring to a boil and cook ~ 2 minutes or until sauce is thickened slightly. Taste and season as needed.
Serve: Slice Roast into 3/4 to 1 inch thick Steaks. Lay in a serving platter and spoon the Wine Sauce over steaks so it pools in the platter. Garnish with a few sprigs of parsley or chopped Arugula.

Serve with lots of Fries and Onion Rings and a salad (Caesar Salad is a good choice), and a basket of Artisan Bead.

Pepper Steak Sandwiches
These are so easy, and quick. Good for an afternoon when everyone is busy as a one arm paper hanger. ot with fries and a salad for dinner.

Ingredients
** 1 Rib Eye Steak [/b](1-Lb) (can use Sirloin, Flank) Figure ¼ lb per sandwich
** Canola Oil for Sauté
** Few TBS Sherry Vinegar
** 4 to 5 Bell Peppers, cored, seeded, chopped into 1 inch x 2 inch squares. (Use any color)
** Salt & Pepper
** Kaiser Rolls or other substantial sandwich rolls.

Procedure
** Rub Steak all with Sherry Vinegar and season well with S&P.
** Sear Steak in a heavy duty Skillet on high, brushed with Oil ) (~1 minute per side)
Wrap tight in foil and place in freezer to firm meat, but not freeze.
** Add 2 TBS Oil to Steak Skillet on Medium and Sauté the Peppers until al dente. Dust several times with Salt & Pepper to taste. Add more oil as required.
** Slice chilled Steak thinly across the grain (see NOTE at end) Slice into 2 ½ inch strips, and Stir into the Peppers in the Skillet on medium. Cook until steak is just done and peppers are on the edge of soft.
** Pile on Sandwich Rolls (or toasted rolls) and serve with Chips or Fries.

This mixture can be made way in advance, and stir fried in batches when needed.

NOTE: Tougher cuts of steak can be left to marinate with the Sherry Vinegar rub for an hour before searing in the skillet. Tougher cuts should be sliced Very Thin, Across the Grain, and when the meat is Cold.

Bean & Ham Soup
It’s a Navy Bean and Ham soup. I serve it with toasted cheese sandwiches of dark bread & cheddar cheese. The recipe includes the option of adding Mashed Potatoes making it ‘Senate Bean Soup’ served in the US Senate.

Ingredients
1-Cup Navy Beans (rinsed & soaked overnight in cool water)
1- Meaty Ham Bone or 2 Ham Shanks (can also use 3-Ham Hocks)
1-TBS Butter
1-1/2 Cups Onion, chopped
1-1/2 Cups Celery, sliced
4-Cups Water or Chicken Stock
3/4-Tsp dried Thyme, crushed
1/2-Tsp Salt or 1-Tsp Sea Salt
1/4-Tsp Pepper, ground
1-Bay Leaf
2-Cups Carrots, peeled & diced
2-Cups Rutabagas, peeled & diced (can use Parsnips)
1-Cup Mashed Potatoes

Procedure
** Drain the White Beans thoroughly
** In a Dutch-Oven add the Butter and brown the Ham Bone or Shanks over medium heat until browned on all sides.
** Add the Celery and Onion, and stir until softened.
** Stir in the Navy Beans, Thyme, Salt, Pepper, Bay Leaf, and Water or Stock.
** Bring to boiling, reduce heat and simmer 1 to 1-1/2 Hours or until beans are tender.
** Remove Ham Bone or Shanks, let cool, strip meat from bone, and chop meat. Discard bones and Bay Leaf.
** Slightly mash Beans in Dutch-Oven. Insert a wooden spoon into the pot and press the Beans against the sides of the pot until most are partially mashed.
** Stir in Carrots and Rutabagas to Pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until veggies are tender. About 15 minutes.
NOTE: At this point, if you want to make a Senate Bean Soup, add the Mashed Potatoes.
** Stir in the Meat until heated through.
Serve with Toasted Cheese Sandwiches using dark bread of choice.

SHRIMP ETOUFFEE
Etouffee is fairly easy. I learned to make this in the New Orleans area from a native. Etouffee means ‘in its own juices’. It’s traditionally made with Shrimp or Crawfish and always on a bed of Rice. It can be made Cajun/Creole style however you can decide if you want no ‘Spice’ by ekininating the Cayenne in the recipe.

INGREDIENTS
• 2-Lbs Medium Shrimp (peeled & deveined) Save the Shrimp Shells.
NOTE: Always keep Shrimp in a bowl with that bowl in a bowl of ice until used.
• 6-Oz. Butter (Unsalted)
• 4-Cups White Onions (diced)
• 2-Cups Bell Pepper (diced) use 2/3 cup Green & 1/3 cup Red Peppers
• 2-Cups Celery (diced) including tops & leaves
• 1-Bay leaf
• 1-TBS Garlic (chopped fine)
• 1/4-Tsp Cayenne Pepper (OPTIONAL)
Salt & Pepper to taste
• 3-TBS Flour (All Purpose)
• 2-Cups Water @ room temperature
• 6-TBS flat leaf Parsley (chopped) Plus a dozen sprigs for garnish
• 1-Cup Scallions (chopped) center portion green & light green.
• 12 cups Cooked White Rice (Basmati or quality long grain)

PREPARATION
1.) Place reserved Shrimp Shells in a sauce pan with Water and simmer on Low 20 to 30 minutes or until ready to use.
2.) While 1.) is cooking, prepare the Rice (Steamed or Boiled). Fluff in a large bowl.

COOKING
1.) Melt Butter in a 12 inch Skillet on Medium. Add Onions, Bell Pepper, Celery, and Bay leaf. Sauté veggies until al dente (about 8 to 10 minutes)
2.) Add Garlic and sauté a few minutes
3.) Add 1/3 Shrimp Liquid from Preparation Step 1, 1-Tsp. Salt, 5 or 6 turns of Pepper Mill, and the Cayenne. Sauté about 6 to 7 minutes.
4.) Strain remaining Shrimp Liquid into a bowl. Dissolve the Flour in the liquid and whisk to make a ‘Slurry’.
5.) Add Slurry to Skillet, and Stir until mixture thickens slightly. Remove Bay leaf.
6.) Add Shrimp to the pan. Simmer 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt & pepper to taste. Sauté until Shrimp is pink and cooked (cooked is that fine point just beyond translucent). When in doubt eat one of the shrimp.
7.) Add Parsley and green Onions and sauté a few more minutes.

SERVING: Spread Rice on a Platter, top with the Shrimp Etouffee, and sprinkle with sprigs of parsley. Can also be served on pasta like a wide pasta or Farfale.

Cabbage Soup with Bacon

Ingredients
1-Lb. Slab Bacon, cut into 1 by 1-1/2 Inch pieces.
3 quarts Water
1 large head Savoy Cabbage
3 Carrots
2 Turnips or Rutabaga
2 Leeks
5 Potatoes (firm, medium size)
1 large Onion
1 Clove
1 Tbs. Suet or Bacon Fat
Coarse Salt
White Peppercorns
Thick slices country-style Bread or good quality artisan French

Procedure
** Fill a large saucepan with the Water, and add the Bacon. Bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes, skimming off the foam.
** Peel off Cabbage outer leaves. Rinse and quarter the head, and place in a saucepan of boiling water. Blanch for 5 minutes. Remove and drain.
** Trim and thoroughly rinse the Leeks. Peel the Carrots and Turnips. Cut the Carrots, Turnips, and Leeks into large pieces.
** Add the Carrots, Turnips and Leeks to the saucepan with the Bacon.
** Peel the Onion and stick it with the Clove. Add to the saucepan along with the Suet.
** Bring to a boil and generously sprinkle with salt, add a few white Peppercorns. Cover and let simmer gently for 25 minutes.
** Peel and quarter the Potatoes. Add Potatoes to the pot and let simmer, covered, 20 minutes longer or until the potatoes are tender.
** To serve, place a slice of Crusty or Toasted Bread in the bottom of soup bowls. Ladle the soup over the top and serve.

BEEF STROGANOFF
This is the classic Russian dish of sliced beef on a platter of Egg Noodles.

INGREDIENTS
a.) 1 1/2 lbs. Tenderloin or well marbled NY Sirloin trimmed of edge-fat. (Tenderloin is the standard. If using Sirloin, use a quality cut like Black Angus, and be sure to slice it ‘Across the Grain’ to 1/2 the thickness called for with the Tenderloin in Step 1.) Procedure)
b.) 8 Oz. Mushrooms of choice (stems removed, and sliced ¼ inch thick)
c.) 1-Large or 2-Medium white Onions (sliced into thin crescents)
d.) 3/4 Cup Sour Cream
e.) 2-Tbs Hungarian Paprika plus a little on the side
f.) 1/4-Cup General Purpose Flour plus 1 Tbs. (Sift the 1/4 Cup Flour with 1-Tbs Hungarian Paprika and set aside)
g.) 1-Cup Beef Stock or canned consume (homemade preferred)
h.) ~ 4-Tbs. Unsalted Butter (for searing & sauté)
i.) ~ 2 to 3-Tbs mild Olive Oil (for searing & sauté)
j.) 4-Tbs. Dry Vermouth (for Deglaze)
k.) Sea Salt and fresh Ground Pepper to taste
l.) 1-Package large, good quality Egg Noodles
m.) 1/4-Cup Italian (flat) Parsley Leaves & Sprigs for garnish

PROCEDURE
Beef Preparation:
Dust the Whole Filets or Sirloins with Kosher Salt, fresh Ground Pepper, and Paprika. Brush an iron or good quality skillet lightly with Oil, and heat to medium high. Add about 1-Tbs. of Butter, let the foam subside and Sear the Beef about 1 ½ to 2 minutes on a side, remove from skillet and cover in foil. Refrigerate Beef until Firm & Cold but not frozen. Save the pan juices.

1.) COOK BEEF: When chilled, Slice Tenderloin into strips 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick by 2 to 2-1/2 inch long. If using Sirloin be sure to slice into strips that are thinner & across the grain. Dust the strips with salt & pepper, then in the flour/paprika mixture (from f.). Shake loose flour free of the steak strips.
- Add Butter to a Skillet and set the heat on medium high
- Sear Meat quickly on all sides, until just browned (don’t cook through). Sear a cup at a time, add Butter as required.
- Remove each batch to a bowl. Steak that is dark/crisp on the outside, a bit rare on the inside is ideal. Refrigerate.
- Add a little Vermouth to the skillet while hot and deglaze. Add drippings from any previous preparation.
2.) ONIONS: Sauté Onions in 1 Tbs. Butter and 1 Tbs. Oil in the same skillet (~ 10 minutes) Drain & remove onions to a bowl
3.) MUSHROOMS: Sauté Mushrooms in the skillet (~ 8 to10 minutes).The Mushrooms will absorb oil, add more as required, then, turn off heat,
place Mushrooms in bowl, Reserve liquid from the pan.
4.) FLOUR & BUTTER: In Skillet, melt 1-1/2 Tbs. Butter, and add 1-1/2 Tbs. of the Flour/Paprika mix (from f). Whisk until blended.
- Add Beef Stock (g) slowly to Flour mixture
- Add any reserved juice from mushroom (Step 3.) into Flour mix
- Stir the Flour/Stock mix vigorously until smooth
- Remove from heat

FINISH STROGANOFF:
A. Cook Egg Noodles until al dente (add glass cold water to pot when done) Strain through colander, sprinkle with a little Olive Oil, and arrange on serving platter. Dust top of Egg Noodles with a little Chopped Parsley.
B. Combine Beef (1), Onions (2), and Mushrooms (3) to the skillet from step 3 on medium heat. Stir till incorporated. (~2 minutes)
C. Add Sour Cream to the Flour Mix (4) on medium-low heat. Add salt/pepper to taste, and 1-tsp Paprika. Stir till combined.
D. Combine Meat/Veggie (B) with Sour Cream/Flour mix (C). Heat Stroganoff through (don’t boil) and stir until well incorporated.
E. Add Stroganoff (D) to the center of a platter with the Egg Noodles (A). Dust with Paprika, and Garnish with Italian parsley sprigs.

(It's usual to ADD 3-4 scoops (~1 Tbs. each) sour cream to the top of serving dish before the paprika and parsley are added. Also, Brandy can be used in place of Vermouth in (1.)).

NOTE: This can be served with French or Artisan Bread. But if you want to really feel Russian, consider the following.

• Slices of Fresh Russian or Dark Bread
• A Dish of ‘Soft’ sweet cream Butter.
• A Dish of very thinly sliced rings of White Onion.

Let each person spread butter on bread, and add slices of onion. You won’t believe how totally sweet the onions are because of the sweet butter. It’s a surprise.

FRENCH ONION SOUP GRATINEE
(Paul Bocuse Style)
INGREDIENTS
¼-Lb Unsalted Butter
4 to 5 -Medium Onions sliced
2-Tbs Flour
6 to 7 Cups Beef Stock preferably home made. You can also use canned Beef Stock Chicken Stock or Dark Vegetable Stock. If Chicken Stock, add 3 Beef Ribs and simmer for 1 to 2 hours. If using Vegetable stock, reduce it to enhance the Flavor & Color.
Loaf of Artisan French Bread cut into discs (can be day old)
3-Cups grated Swiss, Jarlsberg or Gruyere Cheese, or combined
Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1/4-Cup bread Crumbs

Ahead if Time: Make Croutons from the bread Discs. Fully coat each Disc with melted butter and toast in the oven at ~275 to 300 Deg F until golden on each side, and hard as Croutons. You can place them on paper towels in the oven to absorb excess butter, the towels won’t burn @ 300 Deg. These can also be frozen for later use.

Cook Onions: In a pan or skillet, melt 2-Tbs butter and sauté Onions until golden or dark golden. You can enhance browning by lightly dusting Onions with a little sugar half way through. Sauté the Onions slowly so they get dark but don’t burn.
*Stir in the Flour and the Beef Stock, stirring constantly
Pre heat the Oven to 400 deg F.

SERVING METHOD #1 (Family Style)

In an Oven Proof Soup Tureen, insert about 1/3 of the toasted Crouton Discs. Sprinkle with ~1/3 of the Cheese, 2-tsp of Butter, and a dusting of Pepper. Make 3-layers this way.
Pour the Onion Soup into the Tureen. Sprinkle the top with the Bread Crumbs, and the remaining Cheese. Top with a few slivers of Butter.
Place in the oven for about 15-minutes or until Cheese and Breadcrumbs have browned.

SERVING METHOD #2 (Individual Servings)

In Oven Proof Soup Bowls, insert one toasted Crouton Disc into each.
Ladle the Onion Soup into each Bowl, and cover the top with Crouton Discs.
Sprinkle the top with the Bread Crumbs, and the remaining Cheese. Top with a few slivers of Butter.
Place Bowls in the oven until Cheese and Breadcrumbs have browned. Can also place under broiler for 2 to 3 minutes to brown quickly if the Soup is already hot.

NOTE: The Soup can also have a little Nutmeg and Port or Brandy added to the Stock and Onion phase.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:44 pm

Pecan Honey Trout
(I've cooked this before, pan fry on the outside grill...about 5 minutes) Whole dish is pretty quick.
Trout
4-trout, butterflied, any tiny bones removed
2 TBS light Oil or Walnut Oil.
Marinade
1/4 Cup Dijon Mustard
1 TBS Honey
1 TBS light Molasses
2-Garlic Cloves, minced
Pecan/Honey Crust for Trout
3/4 Cups Pecans, toasted
1/4 Cup Bread Crumbs, from my reserved old artisan breads
1-tsp Pasilla Chili Powder
Preparation
** Lay Trout in a glass casserole dish, flesh side up
** Combine and mix Marinade ingredients and pour over Trout. Cover, and marinate 30 minutes @ room temperature and refrigerate for another 30 minutes until ready to cook.
** In processor or blender, blend the Pecans, Beadcrumbs and Chili Powder until fine
** Coat the flesh side of the Trout (face up) with Pecan Crust mix.
** Saute (or Grill) skin side down (about 4 minutes). Turn and cook till crust side is brown

MUTNODJMET

Post by MUTNODJMET » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:55 pm

falvegas wrote:This is a surprisingly simple dish, but it's just elegant when presented. The only thing you can't be is lactose intolerant. it's usually served family style on the large pasta platter with lots of Italian Bread and a Tomato Salad. If you want the Tomato Salad recipe (simple) or another type salad, let us know.

If they like fish, there's a whole bunch of fish recipes in here, salmon, trout, bass and shellfish from lobster to shrimp to fish stews. Theres also the soups..let us know what sort of soups you all enjoy.

Fettuccine alla Romana
(2 large or 4 small servings)

Ingredients
1/2 lb Fettuccine (packaged)
Salt
1/4 Cup Butter, at room temp, cut into 8 pieces
1/2 Cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
1/4 Cup Heavy Cream, heated (Hot but not boiling)
1/2 Cup freshly cooked Peas, preferably freshly shelled (Frozen baby peas OK)
1/3 Cup shredded imported or domestic Prosciutto
3 Sprigs Italian (flat leaf) Parsley, leaves removed and coarsely chopped.
Nutmeg for dusting at the end
Preparation
Its important to have all the ingredients ready. The pasta must be tossed seconds after it’s cooked, and served immediately.
1. Cook Fettuccine in well salted boiling water to the desired doneness. This should 9 to 12 minutes for al dente (depending on water, altitude, and the Pasta) If Fettuccini is fresh, it will take only a few minutes.
2. In the meantime Warm the Serving Platter in the oven. (Should be just barely able to touch the dish)
3. When Fettuccine is nearly done, add the Butter to the Hot Serving Dish. Dust with Nutmeg. When pasta is done, remove dish from the oven. Butter should be melted, stir well.
4. Drain finished Fettuccini through a colander quickly, and place moist pasta into the serving dish. Toss quickly but lightly.
5. Add the Cheese, Cream, Peas, and Prosciutto continuing tossing until combined.
6. Serve platter immediately, and portion.

Serve with a Peppermill, Italian Bread, and Tomato Salad or Salad and Wine of choice
This looks really good, and is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Cheese and nutmeg are two of the Boys favorites.

MUTNODJMET

Post by MUTNODJMET » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:18 pm

falvegas: Thanks for all the excellent recipes. I will post back a progress report after I did them.

I have a question for you, as you seem to be quite savvy about cooking: in the Breakfast Pizza recipe in the Breakfast thread, it calls for mascarpone cream. Where do I look for such cream, and is there a substitute if I can't find it?

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:38 pm

MUTNODJMET wrote:falvegas: Thanks for all the excellent recipes. I will post back a progress report after I did them.

I have a question for you, as you seem to be quite savvy about cooking: in the Breakfast Pizza recipe in the Breakfast thread, it calls for mascarpone cream. Where do I look for such cream, and is there a substitute if I can't find it?
Problem with our supermarkets is they think we're all peasants. Some will carry Mascarpone, and if they do, it may not be very good. I'd call them before going there.

Your best bet is 'if' you have an Italian market, or Italian Specialty market near you, that's where I normally get it. Trader Joes may have it (call), and I have bought some from Whole Foods (call) but their prices are usually High.

It really depends on where you live. The main cities usually have Italian sections. I have to go about 7 or 7 miles to get it.
I know of no substitute for Mascarpone. There is a post I put in here to make Ricotta, about 1 page back Only takes a few minutes, from whole milk and that's all, includes a Video. Your kids should love it.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:55 pm

:lolh: It looks like I'm late to the party and I can see you have been in great hands!!!!!!!!!!!!! After reading through the recipes, I don't have anything to add!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wave: MUTNODJMET !!!! It's nice to meet you!!!!!!!!!!!

MUTNODJMET

Post by MUTNODJMET » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:21 pm

Pixie wrote::lolh: It looks like I'm late to the party and I can see you have been in great hands!!!!!!!!!!!!! After reading through the recipes, I don't have anything to add!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wave: MUTNODJMET !!!! It's nice to meet you!!!!!!!!!!!
:wave:

Back at you, Pixie! :)

I usually hang out in the heavy news-oriented section; however, since the world has essentially gone nuts since Nov. 5th, I am trying to visit here more frequently to lighten up. I really need to get out of my cooking rut. Anything recommended would be most welcome.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:37 pm

These are excellent Veal Meatballs, light, and you can make them in advance to shorten the cook time. Anytime there's a chill 'hold' in a recipe you can usually do it the night before. This is with braised vegetables but there's no reason you can't serve these on Noodles, and quickly whisk your own sauce from a little Chicken Stock and Cream, add some seasoning, even Nutmeg.

Veal Meatballs with Braised Vegetables
Serves 4
Traditional meatballs are lightened with veal achieving a bright, almost springtime flavor. Chicken broth and matzo meal take the place of milk and bread crumbs to keep the meatballs exceptionally tender.2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (20 fl oz)
1/3 cup matzo meal
7 oz brine-cured green olives (1 cup medium), pitted
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 lb ground veal
5 tablespoons olive oil plus additional for greasing pan
2 medium fennel bulbs (sometimes called anise; 2 lb total), stalks cut off and discarded and bulbs halved lengthwise, then cut lengthwise into 1/3-inch-thick slices
1 lb carrots (6 medium), cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon water
2 1/4 teaspoons potato starch
Lemon wedges for garnish
Directions
** Heat 1/2 cup broth until warm, then add matzo meal and soak 10 minutes.
** While matzo soaks, chop enough olives to measure 1/3 cup, then quarter remainder and set aside. Pulse soaked matzo and chopped olives in a food processor along with garlic, egg, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until olives and garlic are finely chopped and egg is incorporated. Add 1/4 cup parsley and pulse until parsley is finely chopped.
** Transfer matzo mixture to a bowl and add veal, mixing gently with your hands until combined. Chill, covered, 30 minutes.
** Preheat broiler. Line a 15- by 10-inch shallow baking pan or baking sheet with foil, and brush foil with oil. Using wet hands, form veal mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls, arranging in 1 layer as formed in baking pan.
** Broil meatballs 4 to 6 inches from heat, turning once with a spatula and tongs, until browned, about 10 minutes total.
** While meatballs are broiling, heat 3 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet (2 to 3 inches deep) over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Brown The Fennel in 2 batches, turning occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes per batch. Transfer to a plate, then brown carrots in remaining 2 tablespoons oil in skillet, stirring occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes.
** Return Fennel to Skillet and add meatballs, remaining 2-Cups Chicken Broth, and ¼ Tsp each Salt & Pepper. Simmer covered until Veggies are tender (~20 Minutes).
** Whisk together Water & Potato Starch in a bowl. Stir into Meatball mix and Boil, uncovered until sauce thickens slightly (~2 minutes). Sauce will continue to thicken off the heat).
** Remove from Heat and sprinkle with remaining 2TBS Parsley. Season with Salt & serve with veggies, and quartered Olives.
Last edited by falvegas on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:32 pm

MUTNODJMET wrote:
falvegas wrote:
falvegas: Good questions; allow me to follow-up. My boys will eat anything that isn't "spicy" (either too hot -- like Mexican -- or overly spiced up (i.e., a lot of herbs in the mixture)). Simple fare with a light touch on the herbs and spices is best. I have a big pasta bot, as well as a dutch oven.

For instance, tonight I am doing a crock pot meal. I am slow-cooking pork chops smothered with chicken/mushroom soup. I topped those chops with a spring a fresh rosemary before coating with soup and a can of mushroom slices. I will microwave green beans, and serve the pillsbury cresent rolls. A side of salad with blueberries will complete the dinner menu.
That's excellent, I like the menu. Anyone will rell you, put Blueberries in it and I'll eat it.
My slow cooker is programmable up to 10 hours and the temperature BUT because most of my favorite braised recipes require Browning first, I mostly do it on the stove-top or in the oven. Use the Cooker for parties to keep things warm.
If you need some help or ideas just scream, we all need help.

This chat is really good, very civilized, everyone's helpful, no confrontational adolescents and predators who think their crap is ice cream....so far.

MUTNODJMET

Post by MUTNODJMET » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:00 am

falvegas wrote: This chat is really good, very civilized, everyone's helpful, no confrontational adolescents and predators who think their crap is ice cream....so far.
I thought those kind of discussions were only in the News forums, confined mainly in Ron Paul discussions and when Royd posts. :mrgreen:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:29 am

MUTNODJMET wrote:
falvegas wrote: This chat is really good, very civilized, everyone's helpful, no confrontational adolescents and predators who think their crap is ice cream....so far.
I thought those kind of discussions were only in the News forums, confined mainly in Ron Paul discussions and when Royd posts. :mrgreen:
That's what I meant... I spent a lot of time in there and previously in Coulter, not a bastion of civility or free exchange. It was a handful who spoiled it for many others who were mostly innocent, not up to date, but good people, and the predators would leap on them. It became too childish for me, a waste of time.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:44 am

All you have to do with this is boil your favorite pasta while you assemble the Meatballs, and they should be done about the same time. Use your favorite Bottled Pasta Sauce or Olive Oil, or Butter & Parsley on the pasta or Egg Noodles.

Old Fashioned Italian Meatballs Ingredients
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
1 pkg. (16 oz.) Johnsonville® Italian All Natural Ground Sausage
2 Tbsp. olive oil
Directions
In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk and breadcrumbs. Let stand for 3-4 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Add sausage; mix well. Shape into meatballs. In a large skillet, saute meatballs in olive oil until golden brown and no longer pink. Serve on Pasta or Egg Noodles with favorite sauce.

Turkey Sausage Stir-Fry Ingredients

1 pkg. (13.5 oz.) Johnsonville Smoked Turkey Sausage or Smoked Turkey Cheddar Sausage
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 pkg. (16 oz.) fresh or frozen stir-fry vegetables
6 Tbls. Kung Pao sauce or stir-fry sauce or sweet-and-sour sauce
2 cups hot, cooked rice
Turkey Sausage Stir-Fry Directions
Cut sausage into ¼-inch bias slices. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage; sauté for 1 minute. Add vegetables; cook and stir for 6-8 minutes or until hot. Add sauce; cook and stir 1 minute longer until coated. Serve with hot rice.

Sweet Italian Pasta Toss Ingredients

1 pkg. (19.76 oz.) Johnsonville Italian Mild Sausage Links, grilled and coin-sliced
1 pkg. (16 oz.) rigatoni pasta
3 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large red pepper, chunked and sautéed
2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
1 jar (26 oz.) pasta sauce
Sweet Italian Pasta Toss Directions
Prepare sausage according to package directions, keep warm. Prepare the rigatoni according to directions, keep warm. In a large pan, place olive oil and garlic, sauté lightly for 30 seconds. Add peppers and cook until crisp tender. Combine cooked sausage and pasta sauce with peppers and heat until warm. At this point you may mix with the pasta or serve separately. Top with fresh parsley. Serve warm.

Asian Cornish Hens with Asparagus and Portobello Mushrooms
Don't know if your kids like Asian cooking, this is pretty quick maybe an hour. You can grill these on the stove in a ribbed pan or under the broiler if you can't grill outside.

Ingredients
1. 6 tablespoons soy sauce
2. 1/4 cup lime juice (from about 2 limes)
3. 1/4 cup cooking oil
4. 4 cloves garlic, minced
5. 1 teaspoon ground ginger
6. 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
7. 1/4 teaspoon salt
8. 2 Cornish hens (about 1 1/4 pounds each), halved
9. 1 pound asparagus
10. 2/3 pound portobello mushrooms, stems removed, caps cut into 1/4-inch slices, or 6 ounces sliced portobello mushrooms
Directions
1. Light the grill. In a small glass or stainless-steel bowl, combine the soy sauce, lime juice, oil, garlic, ginger, pepper, and salt. Put the hens into two large glass dishes. Pour 1/2 cup of the marinade over them and turn to coat. Let marinate, turning once, for 10 minutes.
2. Cook the hens over moderate heat for 12 minutes. Turn and cook until just done, about 12 minutes longer.
3. Meanwhile, snap off and discard the tough ends of the asparagus. In a medium bowl, toss the asparagus spears with 2 tablespoons of the remaining marinade and grill for about 12 minutes, turning once.
4. In the same bowl, toss the mushrooms with the remaining 2 tablespoons marinade and grill for about 5 minutes per side. Serve the hens with the asparagus and mushrooms alongside.

Pork Tenderloin with a Cranberry Chipotle Sauce
It’s quite simple but you'll have to leave out the Chipotle Peppers. And it may take an hour.
Ingredients
1-TBS Butter, unsalted
1-TBS Olive Oil
2-Lb Pork Tenderloin
S & P to taste
Cranberry Chipotle Sauce
2-TBS Shallots, minced
2-Garlic Cloves, minced
2-Cups Cranberries, fresh or frozen
3-TBS Sugar
2-Cups Red Wine, dry like Merlot or Cabernet
2 ½ -Cups Chicken Stock
1-Canned Chipotle (from a can in Adobo Sauce), pureed. (Optional, can delete)
1-tsp Sage, fresh, minced (1/2 tsp crumbled, dry)
3-TBS Butter, unsalted at room temperature

Procedure
Preheat oven to 375 F Degrees
** Melt Butter & Olive Oil in a heavy skillet on medium
** Season Pork with S & P and brown on all sides
** Set Pork on rack in a Roast Pan. Cook to 160 F Degrees Internal (~45 minutes). This will rise to 165 to 168 F Deg. during resting. Reserve the Skillet & Pan Drippings.
** Sauce: Sauté Shallots & Garlic in the reserved Drippings for about a minute. Add Cranberries and Sugar, and cook, stirring another minute. Add Wine scraping up pan bits. Boil over high heat to about 3/4 –Cup of liquid remains. Add Chicken Stock, Chipotle Puree, and Sage. Boil until about 2-Cups remain. Strain mixture into a Saucepan, bring to a boil, and Whisk in the Butter and S & P. Keep warm.
Pork: Remove Pork from oven, cover with Foil, and let sit 15 minutes.
** Cut Pork into 1-inch slices. Fan slices on serving platter and pour Cranberry Sauce to the side.

Serve with roasted small red potato halves, and a green leafy vegetable sautéed in olive oil and garlic like Spinach with Citrus, Arugula...whatever.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:35 pm

Pork roast with cranberry

This is one of our favorites. You can skip all the ingredients except the pork, cranberry sauce, salt and pepper.

Use the one pot to make rice. Serve pork on rice.

You want fast?

Put rice to cook.

Put chicken quarters in a glass baking dish. Bathe liberally in Louisiana Brand hot sauce (Texas Pete or Crystal is OK, but Tabasco is too hot.) Microwave 5 minutes. Turn all pieces. Microwave 3 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes (the bone is red hot, junior will burn himself if he doesn't wait). Serve on rice. This not too spicy and is an old a soccer team favorite!

Just looked at the dates!!! :embarrassed:

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:39 pm

iamlookingup wrote:I tried to make lentils today.

I shoulda looked at Favre's recipe first. My lentils turned out *okay*, but not good enough to serve to others. :embarrassed: Too bland. :ohwell:

Try this! http://www.food.com/recipe/lebanese-len ... ut=desktop

Mujadara is easy to make, and quite tasty! Not spicy, but not bland!

:dinner:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:51 pm

One Pot meals are great: Certainly considerations are, Casseroles, Stir Fry, and One-Pot Meals like in a Dutch Oven, Slow-Cooker or Pressure-Cooker, and there are the new Multi-Cookers by Cuisinart, Calphalon, and Ninja.

Most casseroles are fairly simple, like Mac & Cheese but dishes like Lasagna get a bit more involved in the Prep. However, few dishes are faster and simpler than Shrimp & Pasta dishes, even when it's casserole style...for those wanting the 30 to 45 minute category.

Most Slow Cooker recipes don't take much prep time [called Mise en Place] certainly, Pot Roasts, Stews, Beans & Franks, Short Ribs, Hearty Soups, ...etc ALSO one can use prepackaged vegetables to make prep time shorter. HOWEVER, you'll need 4 to 8 hours in advance for it to cook, depending on the recipe. But Programmable Slow Cookers with auto Temp Control and Auto-Switch to 'Warm' at the end make these quite easy, and in a single pot.

Stir Fry [/b]takes no time at all, but it is all , Mise en Place. Here again one can use Packaged, already cut-up ingredients to greatly minimize prep time. Even Frozen strips of beef or chicken can be used, as well as for the vegetables [whick one can get Oriental Style, already for the Stir Fry]. Added ingredients like Rice or Noodles can be cooked ahead, and they don't take long.

FOR EXAMPLE, CHICKEN CACIATORE: Using pre-packaged vegetables [onion, mushrooms, bell peppers], canned tomatoes, and a cut-up chicken, I can make Chicken Cacciatore in one Deep Skillet or Dutch Oven in about 45 to 50 minutes. Also Italian Dishes with Pasta and Sausage and bottled Pasta Sauce can be done in 30 to 40 minutes.

AGAIN: One can buy Frozen Chicken Strips [light or dark] and marinate them in a Bottled-Store Teryaki Sauce overnight. Then one can either, Stir Fry them with Vegetables OR grill them on Skewers and add to Rice & Stir Fry Vegetables OR Dip the Grilled Skewers in Sesame Seeds and serve as a snack. Can also do this with Beef Stips, like with a sliced and marinated Flank Steak.

There’s a ton of very simple Slow-Cooker Italian recipes like Chicken Cacciatore, Chicken with Sausages & Tomato, Pasta Primavera e.g. this is an ultra simple one. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooke ... acciatore/ For Primavera simply add the veggies at the last 30 minutes. But it also doesn't take that long in a Deep Skillet or Dutch Oven even when using whole fresh vegetables, and prepping them yourself. I sometime do all my Prep [mise en place] the night before and stick em in the frig. Then the cooking goes quick.

I really like single pan meals; Pasta al la Romana, Beef Stroganoff, Shrimp Scampi on Wide Pasta, Coc au Vin, Gumbo, Shrimp Etouffee over Rice, Fish Chowder, Chili and the like….mostly I do them in a single Deep Skillet, some must be in an enameled Dutch Oven.

New England Feast: A few times a year I've even made a New England Clam Bake [on the stove] in about 45 minutes. Throw some Seaweed on a few inches of Boiling Well Salted Water in a Stock Pot, then add 'Layers' of Corn in husks, Cooked Sausages, Clams or Mussels, Shrimp and/or Lobsters, and some small [par cooked] potatoes if one has a pot big enough. It's done in 25 to 30 minutes, served on a large Platter with a big Bowl of Clarified Butter w/Lemon & Vermouth, Sea Salt, Lemon Wedges, and a good Artisan bread ...Hot sauce if desired. Sometimes I do it out on the porch or deck. For a bigger crowd I'll use a 5 Gal Stock Pot, takes a bit longer. But for 3 to 4 it can be done in a regular large Stock Pot.

ConservativeLiz

Post by ConservativeLiz » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:19 pm

This might be a simple dinner idea for 3 people.

Spread a package of Uncle Ben's Ready Rice into a 9X13 pan.
Place 3 to 6 skinless chicken pieces on top of the rice.
Pour a jar of pineapple or mango salsa, the chunky kind, over it all including the rice.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.

I would precede this dish with a small salad and serve a nice bread with the entree.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:39 pm

Up, did you ever try the chicken and pepper sauce microwave dish?

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:47 pm

Pasta and Shrimp dishes are really easy, including simple dishes like Shrimp Scampi on Fettuccini or Linguini as well as Pasta and Clams or Pasta with Mussels.

I make my own New England Clam Chowder from scratch, HOWEVER:

If ya wanna do one in about 15 minutes....
1 10 Oz can Baby Clams [Chicken of the Sea or Equivalent]
1 10+ Oz can condensed Cream Of Potato Soup
1 10+ Oz can condensed Cream Of Celery Soup
1 Sliced Green Onion
1/2 Tsp Basil leaves
1 1/4 Cups Milk

** In a Sauce Pan Heat [10 to 15 minutes]; the Celery & Potato Soups, Liquid from the Canned Clams, Onion, Basil, and Milk.
** Add the Clams and heat about another 1 to 2 minutes.

Serve with a good Artisan Bread and/or Soup Crackers

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:03 pm

iamlookingup wrote:
Fatherducque wrote:Up, did you ever try the chicken and pepper sauce microwave dish?
The one with Texas Pete? :hotguy:
You thought that was hot?????

:oops:

ConservativeLiz

Post by ConservativeLiz » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:20 am

iamlookingup wrote:
ConservativeLiz wrote:This might be a simple dinner idea for 3 people.

Spread a package of Uncle Ben's Ready Rice into a 9X13 pan.
Place 3 to 6 skinless chicken pieces on top of the rice.
Pour a jar of pineapple or mango salsa, the chunky kind, over it all including the rice.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.

I would precede this dish with a small salad and serve a nice bread with the entree.
Interesting. :hmm:

I tried this today. It was very good. I felt guilty at its ease, so I added chopped bell pepper to it. I sprinkled salt and pepper on it before pouring the salsa on top.

Do you think you might try this recipe?

ConservativeLiz

Post by ConservativeLiz » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:18 pm

This looks tasty and easy to put together.

Chicken Parmesan Pasta
1/2 lb. fettuccine, uncooked
1 Tbsp. oil
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
3 Tbsp. tomato paste
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 can (14-1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup KRAFT Zesty Italian Dressing
1/4 cup KRAFT Grated Parmesan Cheese

Make It
Cook pasta as directed on package, omitting salt.
Meanwhile, heat oil in large nonstick skillet on medium heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 8 min. or until done. Stir in tomato paste and garlic powder; cook and stir on medium-high heat 1 min. Add tomatoes, water and dressing; cook 2 min., stirring occasionally.
Drain pasta; place in large bowl. Add sauce; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese.

Kraft Kitchens Tips
Variation Omit garlic powder. Prepare recipe as directed, adding 2 minced garlic cloves to hot oil in skillet along with the chicken, and substituting KRAFT Sun Dried Tomato Vinaigrette Dressing for the Italian dressing. Substitute Prepare using spaghetti or any other pasta.