It's Not That Far Away...Valentines Day

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: It's Not That Far Away...Valentines Day

Post by Pixie » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:45 pm

Orange Polenta Cake
Serves6 to 8
Active Time:35 min Start to Finish:2 1/2 HR (includes cooling)
ADAPTED FROM OTTOLENGHI: THE COOKBOOK
February 2009

We love the way this one-of-a-kind dessert incorporates so many dimensions into a sophisticated whole. The cake gets its crumbly texture from ground almonds and polenta, while the orange zest and orange-flower water lend citrus and floral notes. The topping—sliced oranges embedded in rich caramel—glistens from a last-minute application of a delicate orange-marmalade glaze.

For Caramel Orange Layer
1/2 cup superfine granulated sugar
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits
2 navel oranges

For Cake
1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup superfine granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons orange-flower water
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups ground almonds (7 oz)
2/3 cup quick-cooking polenta

For Glaze
1/4 cup orange marmalade
1 tablespoon water

Make Caramel Orange Layer:
Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Lightly butter a 9-inch round cake pan, then line bottom with a round of parchment paper and side with a strip of parchment.

Bring sugar and water to a boil in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved, then wash down any sugar crystals from side of pan with a pastry brush dipped in cold water. Boil, without stirring, swirling pan occasionally so caramel colors evenly, until dark amber.

Remove from heat and add butter, swirling pan until incorporated, then carefully but quickly pour caramel into cake pan, tilting it to coat evenly.
Grate zest from oranges and reserve for cake. Cut remaining peel, including white pith, from both oranges with a paring knife. Cut oranges crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Remove any seeds and arrange slices in 1 layer over caramel.

Make Cake:
Beat butter with sugar using an electric mixer until just combined. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in orange-flower water and reserved zest.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. With mixer at low speed, mix almonds, polenta, and flour mixture into egg mixture until just combined.

Spread batter evenly over oranges (preferably with an offset spatula). Bake until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Invert cake onto a cake plate and discard parchment.

Glaze Cake:
Heat marmalade with water in a small saucepan until melted. Strain through a sieve into a small bowl. Brush top of cake with some of glaze. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Cooks’ note: Cake, without glaze, can be made 1 day ahead and kept, wrapped well, at room temperature. Glaze before serving.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:58 am

Coconut-Crab Cocktail
Bobby Flay
Morsels of sweet crab with Asian coconut milk, lime juice, and cilantro. With salty chips.

Ingredients
1 can (13 1/2 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons habanero hot sauce
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 pounds lump crabmeat, picked over
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
One 7-ounce bag plantain chips or tortilla chips
Directions
In a bowl, whisk the coconut milk, lime juice and hot sauce and season with salt and pepper. Gently fold in the crabmeat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer the crabmeat to shallow bowls and garnish with the cilantro. Serve the chips on the side.

Warm Camembert with Wild Mushroom Fricassee
Camembert is rich and runny. The Chef makes this appetizer with Vacherin Mont-d'Or, a creamy cheese at top cheese shops.

Ingredients
1/2 cup walnut pieces
One 8-ounce wheel of ripe Camembert in its wooden box, at room temperature
1 tablespoon walnut oil
3/4 pound wild mushrooms, trimmed, caps thinly sliced
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 shallot, minced
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
2 large sage leaves, minced
Sourdough toasts, for serving
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the walnut pieces on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 7 minutes, until lightly browned. Lower the oven temperature to 300°.
Remove the Camembert from the box and unwrap it. Put the cheese back in the bottom half of the box and set it on a baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes, until soft.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the walnut oil. Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 3 minutes longer. Add the shallot and cook until softened, 2 minutes. Stir in the parsley and sage; season with salt and pepper.
Invert the Camembert onto a platter. Stir the walnuts into the mushrooms and spoon over the cheese. Serve with the toasts.

--

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:38 am

You're the BEST! Do you know that?????

:wave: :wave: :wave:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:55 pm

White Chocolate Berry Cake

Source: Close-up on Cakes
Active Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour Serves 10-12

INGREDIENTS
For the cake:
6 egg yolks
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/3 cups self-rising flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
5 1/2 ounces white chocolate, melted
For the filling and topping:
9 1/2 ounces white chocolate, melted
2 cups mixed summer berries

DIRECTIONS
TO MAKE THE CAKE:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter two 9-inch springform pans and line bases with parchment or waxed (greaseproof) paper.

Combine the egg yolks, 1/4 cup of the milk,
and the vanilla in a bowl.
In a large bowl, combine the flour and sugar. Add the softened butter with the remaining 3/4 cup milk and add to dry ingredients. Beat on low speed to combine, 3-4 minutes. Gradually add the egg mixture in 3 batches, beating well after each addition. Add the melted white chocolate and beat to combine, about 2 minutes. Pour the mixture into the prepared pans. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center of each cake comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

TO MAKE THE FILLING AND TOPPING:
Spread one-third of the warm melted white chocolate over 1 cake layer using a large metal spatula.

Place the berries, reserving a few for decoration, on top of the cake layer spread with the chocolate. Place the second cake layer on top and cover the assembled cake with the remaining melted white chocolate. Decorate with the reserved berries and serve.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:59 pm

Heart Cake
Source: Close-up on Cakes
Active Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 45 Minutes Serves 8

INGREDIENTS
For the Cake:
4 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 drop red food coloring
For the Icing:
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 egg white, lightly whisked
1 teaspoon raspberry extract
2 drops red food coloring
Rose petals for decoration, optional*

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a medium-sized heart-shaped cake pan.

FOR THE CAKE:
Beat together the eggs and sugar until pale and the mixture forms ribbons, about 3-4 minutes. Sift the flour into the batter in 3 batches, folding in after each addition. Add the butter, vanilla, and food coloring with the last batch. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 2-3 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

FOR THE ICING:
Sift the sugar into a large bowl. Gradually stir in the combined egg white and raspberry extract until smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the icing for decoration and color the rest with 1 drop of the red food coloring. Color the reserved icing with the remaining drop of food coloring so that it is darker. Spread a thin layer of the paler icing evenly over the cake and allow it to set. Fill a pastry (piping) bag with the reserved icing and pipe small decorative dots and a fine rim around the top edge of the cake. Decorate with rose petals if desired and serve.

DSMBaptist
Perma-Newb™
Location: Destroying the New World Order and putting NEOCONS in their place!

Post by DSMBaptist » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:19 pm

I'll pass on the Coconut-Crab Cocktail ...I'm allergic! :noparty: :noparty: :noparty:

D@mned allergies! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:27 pm

Pixie wrote:Strawberry Tiramisu for Two
Yields: 2 servings

"Strawberries add bright notes of taste and color to this multi-layered treat. Spongy ladyfingers, brushed with espresso, are blanketed with a creamy mix of mascarpone cheese, coffee liqueur and strawberries, and set into a pool of strawberry puree."

INGREDIENTS:
1 pint fresh strawberries
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup mascarpone cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons coffee-flavored liqueur
18 ladyfingers
1/3 cup chilled espresso
1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder

DIRECTIONS:
1. Cut off the tops of the strawberries and slice the berries. Reserve 2 large whole berries for garnish.

2. In a blender, place 2 cups of strawberries and 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar; blend to puree and set aside.

3. In a medium bowl, combine mascarpone cheese, 1/4 cup cream, 1/4 cup sugar, and liqueur; beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes until thickened.

4. Place 6 ladyfingers on a serving plate and brush each with approximately 1 teaspoon cold espresso coffee. Spread or pipe out 1/2 of the cheese mixture over the ladyfingers, and layer with half of the sliced strawberries.

5. Repeat with the next 6 ladyfingers, espresso, remaining cheese mixture, and sliced strawberries; top with remaining 6 ladyfingers.

6. In a small mixing bowl, combine 1/4 cup heavy cream with 2 tablespoons sugar; beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until just whipped, approximately 1 minute. Spread cream evenly over top layer of ladyfingers.

7. Dust cocoa over whipped cream, and garnish with 2 reserved strawberries. Pour strawberry puree onto two serving plates. Cut tiramisu in half, and place onto puree.
++++++++++++++++
Oh, yummy... but, personally as I've stated my preference would be a Chocolate Mousse or a Creme Brulee!!!!!!!
I am thinking of making this on Valentines Day. Have you used this recipe? Any tips or warnings?

I love rice! With good rice I can eat it plain, or with a little "brown sauce". It is nice to throw a whole cardamom or two in the rice cooker when you make it (fish out the cardamoms afterward!) or a piece of stick cinnamon, or both.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:53 pm

Fatherducque wrote:

"Strawberries add bright notes of taste and color to this multi-layered treat. Spongy ladyfingers, brushed with espresso, are blanketed with a creamy mix of mascarpone cheese, coffee liqueur and strawberries, and set into a pool of strawberry puree."

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup mascarpone cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
18 ladyfingers
1/3 cup chilled espresso

DIRECTIONS:
1. Cut off the tops of the strawberries and slice the berries. Reserve 2 large whole berries for garnish.

2. In a blender, place 2 cups of strawberries and 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar; blend to puree and set aside.

3. In a medium bowl, combine mascarpone cheese, 1/4 cup cream, 1/4 cup sugar, and liqueur; beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes until thickened.

4. Place 6 ladyfingers on a serving plate and brush each with approximately 1 teaspoon cold espresso coffee. Spread or pipe out 1/2 of the cheese mixture over the ladyfingers, and layer with half of the sliced strawberries.

5. Repeat with the next 6 ladyfingers, espresso, remaining cheese mixture, and sliced strawberries; top with remaining 6 ladyfingers.

6. In a small mixing bowl, combine 1/4 cup heavy cream with 2 tablespoons sugar; beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until just whipped, approximately 1 minute. Spread cream evenly over top layer of ladyfingers.

7. Dust cocoa over whipped cream, and garnish with 2 reserved strawberries. Pour strawberry puree onto two serving plates. Cut tiramisu in half, and place onto puree.
++++++++++++++++
Oh, yummy... but, personally as I've stated my preference would be a Chocolate Mousse or a Creme Brulee!!!!!!!
I am thinking of making this on Valentines Day. Have you used this recipe? Any tips or warnings?

I love rice! With good rice I can eat it plain, or with a little "brown sauce". It is nice to throw a whole cardamom or two in the rice cooker when you make it (fish out the cardamoms afterward!) or a piece of stick cinnamon, or both.

:wave: :wave: Fatherducque

I have made Tiramisu but not this recipe... but, from my experience I think this recipe could be easier than most because the strawberries will provide some extra moisture. It seems to me that the most common problem with Tiramisu is that it can be dry. Or if it is not dry the alcohol is overpowering as that is what usually provides all the moisture for the ladyfingers!!

I think the strawberry puree will alleviate that problem!!!!!!! Should you decide to make it please let me know how it comes out.

One tip... do your best to find mascarpone cheese as it's sweeter than regular cream cheese. If you cannot find mascarpone add a bit more sugar to the recipe.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:08 pm

Pixie wrote:
Fatherducque wrote:

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup mascarpone cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
18 ladyfingers
1/3 cup chilled espresso

DIRECTIONS:

++++++++++++++++

I have made Tiramisu but not this recipe... but, from my experience I think this recipe could be easier than most because the strawberries will provide some extra moisture. It seems to me that the most common problem with Tiramisu is that it can be dry. Or if it is not dry the alcohol is overpowering as that is what usually provides all the moisture for the ladyfingers!!

I think the strawberry puree will alleviate that problem!!!!!!! Should you decide to make it please let me know how it comes out.

One tip... do your best to find mascarpone cheese as it's sweeter than regular cream cheese. If you cannot find mascarpone add a bit more sugar to the recipe.
Where does one get "ladyfingers"? A bakery or a gourmet grocery?

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:21 pm

Fatherducque wrote:
Pixie wrote:
Fatherducque wrote:

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup mascarpone cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
18 ladyfingers
1/3 cup chilled espresso

DIRECTIONS:

++++++++++++++++

Where does one get "ladyfingers"? A bakery or a gourmet grocery?
The first time I made Tiramisu was with store bought Lady Fingers, and it was not good. The second time, I made my own, crisp lady Fingers, and it came out very well. Maybe there are good lady Fingers out there one can purchase, but I didn't want to spend more on Gas than the lady Fingers were worth. So I made them myself.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:54 am

Fatherducque wrote:Where does one get "ladyfingers"? A bakery or a gourmet grocery?
Well, just in case you wanted to take Falvegas' advice here is a recipe. Actually, that's a good idea.

Ladyfingers Recipe

1/2 cup cake flour, sifted (make sure you use cake flour)
3 large egg yolks, room temperature
2 tablespoons granulated white sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 large egg whites, room temperature
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
3 tablespoons granulated white sugar
Powdered confectioners sugar for dusting the tops of the cookies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. To make the piping of the cookies easier, use a pencil and ruler to divide the parchment paper into three - 3 inch (7.5 cm) rows, with about 1 inch (2.54 cm) between rows. Have ready a large pastry bag fitted with a 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) round tip.

In your electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the egg yolks and 2 tablespoons (25 grams) white sugar on high speed for about 5 minutes or until the mixture becomes thick and pale yellow. (When you raise the beaters the batter should fall back into the bowl in a slow ribbon.) Beat in the vanilla extract. Sift the cake flour over the batter but do not fold in.

In a clean bowl, with the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add the 3 tablespoons (36 grams) white sugar and whip until stiff peaks form and the whites are glossy. Fold the whites into the egg yolk and flour mixture in three additions, mixing only until incorporated.

Transfer the batter to the pastry bag and, holding the bag at about a 45 degree angle to the baking sheet, pipe the batter into 3 inch (7.5 cm) long ladyfingers, using the lines drawn on the parchment paper as your guide. Pipe the batter leaving about a 1 inch (2.54 cm) space between the cookies.

When you have piped all the cookies, place the powdered sugar in a wire strainer, and lightly sift the sugar over the tops of the cookies. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the ladyfingers are firm but barely browned and are still spongy when pressed with a finger.

Remove the baking sheets from the oven and slide the parchment paper from the baking sheets onto a wire rack. Let the ladyfingers cool for a few minutes and release them from the parchment paper, with a flat spatula, while they are still warm. If you left them completely cool before removing them from the parchment they stick and hard to remove without breaking. Finish cooling the ladyfingers on the wire rack before using or storing. If you are not using the ladyfingers right away, freeze them. Ladyfingers stale very quickly unless they are soaked in a liquid. To store, place in a plastic bag between layers of wax or parchment paper and freeze up to 2 weeks.

Makes about 4 1/2 dozen 3 inch (7.5 cm) Ladyfingers.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:01 am

Fatherducque wrote:Where does one get "ladyfingers"? A bakery or a gourmet grocery?
Now, if you don't want to make them yourself, yes a bakery would be the second best choice... call first as I can't say that all bakeries make them, or make them on a regular basis, IF ladyfingers are part of their repertoire, they may only make them on Mondays??????

Next, yes your better grocery stores will carry them, but again, call ahead to make sure before you waste your gasoline. Try grocery stores with a bakery, once again, call ahead and they may have fresh ladyfingers!!!!!!!!

Please, if you try the recipe, let me know what you think!!!!!!!!!! I'm getting excited for you!!!!!!! :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:22 pm

Emerils Hot Crab and Crawfish Pasta
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, Emeril's Food of Love Productions, 2007
Serves: 4 to 6 servings

Ingredients
3/4 cup vegetable or canola oil, divided
1 red bell pepper, seeded and minced
3 jalapenos, seeded and minced
2 habaneros, seeded and minced
1/2 pound linguine
Kosher salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup minced shallots
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken stock
12 ounces cooked crawfish tails
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves, divided
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, divided
Essence, recipe follows
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 pound lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan

Directions
In a medium saute pan, heat 1/4 cup of the vegetable oil and add the red bell pepper, jalapenos, and habaneros. Cook, stirring until soft, about 2 minutes. Transfer peppers and remaining vegetable oil to a blender and puree until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.

In a large saucepan, cook the pasta in salted boiling water until al dente. Drain pasta in a colander and set aside. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water.

In a large (14-inch) saute pan, heat the olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the chili oil and saute the shallots and garlic until softened and fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the wine, crawfish, 1 tablespoon of the parsley and 1 tablespoon of the chives and cook, stirring, until wine is nearly evaporated, about 30 seconds. Season the crawfish mixture with Essence and salt, to taste. Add the heavy cream and cook until reduced to a consistency thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 3 to 4 minutes.

Add the crabmeat and Parmesan to the cream sauce and stir to blend. Add the drained pasta and cook, tossing to thoroughly combine, until pasta is warmed through. (Add a bit of the reserved pasta cooking water if necessary to thin sauce). Taste and adjust seasoning with more Essence, chili oil, and salt, to taste.

Serve pasta in shallow wide pasta bowls, garnished with remaining parsley and chives. Drizzle the hot chili oil around the perimeter of the pasta and serve immediately.

Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.

Yield: 2/3 cup

Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, Published
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Oh, yummy!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:24 pm

Zucchini Ribbon Pasta
2008, Ellie Krieger, All rights reserved
Serves: 4 servings, serving size: 2 cups

Ingredients
3/4 pound whole-wheat fettuccini
2 medium green zucchini (about 1 pound)
2 medium yellow zucchini (about 1 pound)
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup grated (1-ounce) Parmesan (lightly packed), plus 2 tablespoons
1/3 cup finely minced parsley leaves, plus more for garnish
1 cup thinly sliced basil leaves, plus more for garnish
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Salt

Directions
In a large pasta pot, cook pasta "al dente", 1 or 2 minutes less than the package instructions call for. Drain.

Meanwhile, slice off ends of zucchini and discard. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Using a mandoline, or carefully with a sharp knife, slice zucchini into very thin (about 1/8-inch) slices, trying to keep some skin on each piece for color. Stack slices and cut in half lengthwise. Reserve zucchini ribbons in a large bowl.

In the pasta pot, heat the olive oil over low-medium heat. Add garlic and cook until soft and translucent but not browned, about 1 minute. Add zucchini ribbons and 1/4 cup chicken broth, raise heat to medium-high and cook until zucchini is still somewhat firm but just cooked, about 3 minutes. Return pasta to pot and add remaining chicken stock; cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until liquid has mostly absorbed into the pasta. Add 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, parsley, basil, red pepper flakes, black pepper and toss to combine. Season with salt, to taste. Serve garnished with additional parsley, basil and the remaining 2 tablespoons of cheese.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:31 pm

Pasta Bolognese
Serves: 6 to 8

1 large onion or 2 small, cut into 1-inch dice
2 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch dice
3 ribs celery, cut into 1-inch dice
4 cloves garlic
Extra-virgin olive oil, for the pan
Kosher salt
3 pounds ground chuck, brisket or round or combination
2 cups tomato paste
3 cups hearty red wine
Water
3 bay leaves
1 bunch thyme, tied in a bundle
1 pound spaghetti
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
High quality extra-virgin olive oil, for finishing

In a food processor, puree onion, carrots, celery, and garlic into a coarse paste. In a large pan over medium heat, coat pan with oil. Add the pureed veggies and season generously with salt. Bring the pan to a medium-high heat and cook until all the water has evaporated and they become nice and brown, stirring frequently, about 15 to 20 minutes. Be patient, this is where the big flavors develop.

Add the ground beef and season again generously with salt. BROWN THE BEEF! Brown food tastes good. Don't rush this step. Cook another 15 to 20 minutes.

Add the tomato paste and cook until brown about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the red wine. Cook until the wine has reduced by half, another 4 to 5 minutes.

Add water to the pan until the water is about 1 inch above the meat. Toss in the bay leaves and the bundle of thyme and stir to combine everything. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally. As the water evaporates you will gradually need to add more, about 2 to 3 cups at a time. Don't be shy about adding water during the cooking process, you can always cook it out. This is a game of reduce and add more water. This is where big rich flavors develop. If you try to add all the water in the beginning you will have boiled meat sauce rather than a rich, thick meaty sauce. Stir and TASTE frequently. Season with salt, if needed (you probably will). Simmer for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

During the last 30 minutes of cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat to cook the spaghetti. Pasta water should ALWAYS be well salted. Salty as the ocean! TASTE IT! If your pasta water is under seasoned it doesn't matter how good your sauce is, your complete dish will always taste under seasoned. When the water is at a rolling boil add the spaghetti and cook for 1 minute less than it calls for on the package. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water.

While the pasta is cooking remove 1/2 of the ragu from the pot and reserve.

Drain the pasta and add to the pot with the remaining ragu. Stir or toss the pasta to coat with the sauce. Add some of the reserved sauce, if needed, to make it about an even ratio between pasta and sauce. Add the reserved pasta cooking water and cook the pasta and sauce together over a medium heat until the water has reduced. Turn off the heat and give a big sprinkle of Parmigiano and a generous drizzle of the high quality finishing olive oil. Toss or stir vigorously. Divide the pasta and sauce into serving bowls or 1 big pasta bowl. Top with remaining grated Parmigiano. Serve immediately.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This is my favorite of the three!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:40 pm

Café au Lait Pie

Looking for a showcase dessert? Perfect for Valentine's Day!

Ingredients
one 9" single piecrust, preferably deep dish; must be at least 1 1/4" deep

Chocolate filling
1 1/3 cups chocolate chips or chopped bittersweet chocolate
1/2 cup heavy or whipping cream

Vanilla filling
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 tablespoon cornmeal
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup whipping or heavy cream
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 large egg yolks, whites reserved for topping
2 teaspoons vanilla

Espresso topping
3 large egg whites, reserved from filling
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
6 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon espresso powder
1 teaspoon cold water

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375°F.

1) Roll out the piecrust, and fit it into a 9" pie pan that's at least 1 1/4" deep. Give the crust a tall, crimped edge. Refrigerate the crust while you prepare the fillings.

2) To make the chocolate filling: Place the chocolate and cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat till the cream begins to steam and bubble.

3) Remove from the microwave, and stir until the chips have melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove the crust from the refrigerator, and spread the chocolate in the bottom. Return to the refrigerator.

4) To make the vanilla filling: Whisk together the salt, sugar, cornmeal, and cornstarch.

5) Whisk in the cream, stirring till smooth.

6) Add the lightly beaten eggs, mixing till thoroughly combined.

7) Remove the crust from the refrigerator, and set it on a baking sheet. Carefully pour the vanilla filling atop the chocolate filling.

8) Bake the pie for 20 minutes, and cover the crust with a crust shield, or strips of aluminum foil. Continue to bake for an additional 25 to 35 minutes, or until the edges are fairly set. The middle won't be set, but should read at least 175°F on an instant-read thermometer.

9) About 10 minutes before the pie is finished baking, prepare the meringue. Place the 3 egg whites in a large bowl.

10) Beat the whites at high speed, preferably with your mixer's whisk attachment, till they're beginning to foam.

11) Add the cream of tartar, and continue beating until the mixture is opaque and "creamy" looking.

12) Sprinkle in the sugar while continuing to beat. Beat until stiff peaks form.

13) Combine the espresso powder and water, stirring to dissolve the powder. Add it to the meringue, stirring till thoroughly combined.

14) Remove the pie from the oven. Carefully spread the meringue on top. Dollop some atop the center, and VERY gently spread it around; since the center is still so soft, you have to be gentle. Then spread the meringue around the firmer outside, going all the way to the edges, so it actually touches the crust.

15) Return the pie to the oven, and continue to bake till the meringue is a very light golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.

16) Remove the pie from the oven, and cool completely (at least 5 to 6 hours) before serving. Refrigerate any leftovers.
=============================

If anyone wants a recipe for a pie crust let me know and I'll post one!!!!!!!!!

:wave:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:19 am

Glazed Duck & Clementine Sauce (Serves-8)
Clementines replace oranges in this variation on duck à l’orange. The duck is braised first for tender meat, then roasted to crisp the skin. Crisp skin requires separating the skin and fat from the meat helping to drain the fat.
2 (6- to 7-lb) Pekin Ducks (Long Island Duck), thawed if necessary, excess fat discarded
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 medium onions, quartered lengthwise
1 large celery rib, cut crosswise into 4 pieces
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
3 pounds clementines (12 to 20)
1/2 cup red-wine vinegar
1/3 cup finely chopped shallot
3 tablespoons Mandarine Napoléon liqueur or Cointreau
1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot
Equipment: Heavy-duty foil
Braise ducks:
Put oven rack in middle and preheat oven to 350°F.
** Working from large cavity end, separate duck skin (including fat) from breast meat as much as possible by working your fingers between skin and meat, being careful not to tear skin, then prick skin all over ducks with a fork.
** Put ducks, breast sides up, side by side in a large flameproof roasting pan and rub each duck inside and out with kosher salt. Divide onions and celery between duck cavities and sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar around ducks. Pour enough boiling-hot water over ducks (to help tighten skin) to reach about halfway up ducks (don't fill roasting pan more than 1 inch from rim). Cover pan tightly with heavy-duty foil, then carefully transfer to oven and braise ducks 1 hour.
** Remove pan from oven and remove foil (do not discard), then carefully turn ducks over (breast sides down) using one large wooden spoon to turn and another inside cavity. Cover with foil, then carefully return to oven and braise until meat is very tender but not falling off the bone, about 1 hour more.
Chill ducks:
** Remove pan from oven and discard foil. Transfer ducks with wooden spoons to 2 large plates, draining any juices inside ducks back into pan, then transfer cooking liquid to a large bowl.
** Return ducks to roasting pan, breast sides up, and cool ducks and cooking liquid (separately), uncovered, then chill, uncovered, at least 4 hours (to firm up duck before roasting and to solidify fat on cooking liquid).
Prepare Glaze & Sauce:
** Discard all fat from chilled cooking liquid.
** Remove zest from 2 large or 4 small clementines in strips with a vegetable peeler, then trim any white pith from zest with a sharp paring knife and cut zest into fine julienne strips.
** Blanch strips in a small saucepan of boiling water 5 minutes, then drain.
Squeeze enough juice from remaining clementines to measure 2 cups and pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a 3-quart heavy saucepan. Add vinegar and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and boil until reduced to about 1/3 cup (glaze will bubble up and darken), about 15 minutes.
** Reserve 1 tablespoon glaze in a cup to brush on ducks, then stir julienned zest and 1 cup cooking liquid into glaze remaining in pan and reserve for sauce. Reserve remaining cooking liquid.
Roast Ducks/finish Sauce:
Put oven rack in middle & preheat oven to 500°F.
** Roast ducks until skin is crisp, 25 to 35 minutes. Brush reserved glaze (from cup) on ducks, then transfer ducks to a platter and let stand while finishing sauce, at least 10 minutes.
** Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from roasting pan and straddle pan over 2 burners. Add shallot and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened and pale golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Add 2 cups reserved cooking liquid and deglaze pan by boiling, scraping up brown bits, 2 minutes, then pour through fine-mesh sieve into sauce (containing julienned zest) and bring to a boil.
** Stir together liqueur and arrowroot and whisk into sauce. Simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes, then season sauce with salt and pepper. Serve ducks, whole or carved into serving pieces, with sauce.

Ducks can be braised and chilled 1 day ahead. Chill cooking liquid separately.
Glaze can be made and sauce can be started 6 hours ahead. Cool separately, uncovered, then chill, covered. Reheat glaze and stir before using.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:23 am

Raspberry Chocolate French Macaroons (~2 1/2 dozen)
Dainty pink cookies with a silky ganache can be made with a makeshift pastry bag.
Macaroons
6 oz sliced blanched almonds (not slivered; 2 cups)
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
3 large egg whites
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
Red or pink food coloring
Chocolate Raspberry Ganache
3 oz fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (60 to 64% cacao), finely chopped
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
1/16 teaspoon raspberry extract (preferably McCormick brand)
Equipment: parchment paper; a gallon-sized sealable plastic bag (not pleated)
Macaroons:
Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
** Pulse almonds with 1/2 cup confectioners sugar in a food processor until very finely ground, 2 to 3 minutes, then transfer to a bowl. Sift in remaining cup confectioners sugar, stirring to combine.
** Beat egg whites with salt in another bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until they just hold soft peaks. Add granulated sugar, a little at a time, beating, then increase speed to high and continue to beat until whites just hold stiff, glossy peaks. Add drops of food coloring to reach desired shade and mix at low speed until evenly combined. Stir almond mixture into meringue with a rubber spatula until completely incorporated. (Meringue will deflate.)
** Spoon batter into bag, pressing out excess air, and snip off 1 corner of plastic bag to create a 1/4-inch opening. Twist bag firmly just above batter, then pipe peaked mounds of batter (the size of a chocolate kiss) onto lined sheets about 1 1/2 inches apart. Let cookies stand, uncovered, at room temperature until tops are no longer sticky and a light crust forms, 20 to 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 300ºF.
Bake cookies, switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until crisp and edges are just slightly darker, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool completely on sheets on racks, about 30 minutes.
Make Ganache while macaroons bake:
Melt chocolate with cream in a metal bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water or in top of a double boiler, stirring until smooth. (Bowl should not touch water.) Remove bowl from heat, then add butter and raspberry extract, stirring until butter is melted. Let stand at room temperature until cooled completely and slightly thickened.
Assemble cookies:
Carefully peel cookies from parchment (they will be fragile). Sandwich a thin layer of ganache (about 1/2 teaspoon) between flat sides of cookies.

---

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:38 am

:clap2: :clap2: Oh, I think these look perfect for Valentine's day!!!!!!!!! :clap2: :clap2:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:36 am

Pixie wrote::clap2: :clap2: Oh, I think these look perfect for Valentine's day!!!!!!!!! :clap2: :clap2:

I'm not a big macaroon fan, but these, I might make for an occasion.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:48 pm

Oysters with Champagne-Vinegar Mignonette
Gourmet | September 2005

In this elegant introduction to dinner, oysters are paired with Champagne grapes, whose sweet juice balances the sharpness of the vinegar in the mignonnette.

Yield: Makes 2 first-course servings
Active Time: 15 min
Total Time: 40 min

For mignonnette
2 teaspoons Champagne vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped shallot
Pinch of coarsely ground black pepper
Pinch of sugar
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

For oysters
1 1/2 cups kosher or other coarse salt
1/2 dozen small oysters, such as Kumamoto or Prince Edward Island, shells scrubbed well and oysters left on the half shell, their liquor reserved and oysters picked over for shell fragments
1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
1 small cluster Champagne table grapes or 2 finely diced seedless red grapes

Make mignonnette:

Stir together vinegar, shallot, pepper, and sugar and let stand 30 minutes.

Prepare oysters:

Preheat broiler.

Spread 3/4 cup salt in an 8- to 10-inch flameproof shallow baking dish or pan. Arrange oysters on their shells in salt, then top each with a piece of butter.

Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat until butter is melted and sizzling and edges of oysters are beginning to curl, 1 to 2 minutes.

Stir parsley into mignonnette. Divide remaining 3/4 cup salt between 2 plates and arrange 3 oysters on each. Spoon 1/4 teaspoon mignonnette over each oyster and sprinkle oysters with grapes. Serve warm.

Cooks' note:
Mignonnette, without parsley, can be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
It can't be any more elegant than this and yet... very simple! Even if you're going out to dinner what a wonderful start to what should end up an incredible evening!

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:54 pm

Chocolate-Raspberry Truffletini
Carousel Lounge • New Orleans
INGREDIENTS
2 ounces vanilla vodka
1 ounce Irish cream
3/4 ounce Chambord
3/4 ounce coffee liqueur
1/2 ounce walnut liqueur
Chocolate shavings and 2 raspberries
DIRECTIONS
Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add all of the remaining ingredients except the chocolate shavings and berries; shake well. Strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with the chocolate and berries.
Last edited by falvegas on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

College Boy
You can call me College Professor Boy
Location: Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun, or the rain.

Post by College Boy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:56 pm

falvegas wrote:Image

INGREDIENTS
2 ounces vanilla vodka
1 ounce Irish cream
3/4 ounce Chambord
3/4 ounce coffee liqueur
1/2 ounce walnut liqueur
DIRECTIONS
Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add all of the remaining ingredients except the chocolate shavings and berries; shake well. Strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with the chocolate and berries.
That ought to give you a hangover.

-Mike

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:17 am

falvegas wrote:Image

INGREDIENTS
2 ounces vanilla vodka
1 ounce Irish cream
3/4 ounce Chambord
3/4 ounce coffee liqueur
1/2 ounce walnut liqueur
DIRECTIONS
Ooooh, how wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:59 am

Duck Breast with Frisée Salad and Port Vinaigrette
Gourmet | February 2009
by Gina Marie Miraglia Eriquez

Crisp-skinned duck breast really pops with the nutty, buttery flavor of tawny Port. Any leftover meat makes a terrific sandwich.

Yield: Makes 2 servings
Active Time: 15 min
Total Time: 30 min

2 (8-to 10-ounce) boneless duck breast with skin
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 shallots, finely chopped
1/2 cup tawny Port
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
6 cups torn frisée
2 tablespoons sliced almonds, lightly toasted

Put a small shallow flameproof roasting pan in middle of oven and preheat oven to 400°F.

Pat duck dry and trim off any fat from sides. Score duck skin in a crosshatch pattern at 1/2-inch intervals with a sharp knife, then season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.

Heat a heavy medium skillet (not nonstick) over medium-high heat until hot, then cook duck, skin side down, until golden brown and crisp, about 3 minutes. Turn and cook until other side is golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer to roasting pan and roast in oven until an instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 135°F, 10 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let stand, loosely covered with foil, 5 minutes. (Internal temperature will rise to at least 142°F.)

Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from roasting pan, then add oil and shallot and cook over medium heat, stirring, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add Port, then return to heat (Port may ignite) and cook, stirring and scraping up brown bits, 1 minute.

Remove from heat and stir in mustard and salt and pepper to taste. Add frisée, tossing to combine, and sprinkle with almonds. Serve duck with salad.
++++++++++++++++++++++
This would be PERFECT for Valentine's Day!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:08 pm

Herb Roasted Lamb Chops
Bon Appétit | February 2009
by Maria Helm Sinskey

The chops don't need to marinate long to take on great herby flavor.

Yield: Makes 4 servings

4 large garlic cloves, pressed
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, lightly crushed
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, lightly crushed
2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
6 1 1/4-inch-thick lamb loin chops

Mix first 4 ingredients and 1 tablespoon olive oil in large bowl. Add lamb; turn to coat. Let marinate at room temperature at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in heavy large ovenproof skillet over high heat. Add lamb; cook until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer skillet to oven and roast lamb chops to desired doneness, about 10 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer lamb to platter, cover, and let rest 5 minutes.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:14 pm

Scrambled Eggs with Smoked Salmon and Lemon Cream
Bon Appétit | February 2009
by The Bon Appétit Test Kitchen

Be sure to use wild smoked salmon, preferably from Alaska.

Yield: Makes 2 servings
Active Time: 20 min
Total Time: 20 min

2 tablespoons sour cream
3/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon (packed) finely grated lemon peel
1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon butter
1 large green onion, thinly sliced
2 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon

Mix sour cream, fresh lemon juice, finely grated lemon peel, and chopped fresh thyme in small bowl. Season lemon cream to taste with salt and pepper.

Whisk eggs in medium bowl to blend; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Melt butter in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add thinly sliced green onion and sauté 1 minute. Add eggs; cook until almost set, stirring often, about 1 minute. Divide scrambled eggs between plates. Top scrambled eggs with thinly sliced smoked salmon; drizzle with lemon cream and serve.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Valentine's breakfast for two!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:32 pm

Cavatelli Pasta with Lobster, Spring Peas, and Mascarpone
Epicurious | October 2008
by Neal Fraser
Yield: Makes 8 servings

For lobster:
5 (1 1/4- to 1 1/2-pound) live lobsters or 2 pounds cooked lobster meat

For cavatelli:
1 pound frozen cavatelli pasta
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 shallots, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
8 ounces fresh or frozen peas*
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
1/2 cup Mascarpone
1 tablespoon kosher salt

*If using fresh peas, simmer, uncovered, in salted water until just tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain, then immediately plunge peas into ice water to stop cooking. Drain again and pat dry. If using frozen peas, do not thaw before using.

Cook lobsters (if necessary):

In 10- to 12-quart pot, bring salted water to boil. Plunge in 2 lobsters headfirst, then boil, covered, 10 (for 1 1/4-pound lobsters) to 11 minutes (for 1 1/2-pound lobsters) from time they enter water. Transfer with tongs to sink to drain. Return water to boil, and cook remaining lobsters in same manner.

When lobsters are cool enough to handle, remove meat from tails and claws. Discard or reserve for another use tomalley, any roe, and shells, and wipe off any coagulated white albumin from meat. Cut meat into 3/4-inch pieces and chill, covered, at least 1 hour.

Make cavatelli:

Bring large pot salted water to boil. Add cavatelli and boil until cavatelli float to surface, about 8 minutes. Drain, then immediately plunge cavatelli into ice water to stop cooking. Transfer to large bowl, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, and toss to coat.

In heavy large sauté pan over moderately high heat, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil until hot but not smoking. Add shallots and garlic and sauté until translucent, about 1 minute. Add chicken stock, peas, parsley, thyme, chives, pasta, Mascarpone, and lobster. Stir to combine, then simmer until lobster is heated through, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and serve immediately.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:49 pm

Rack of Lamb with Caramelized Shallots and Thyme Crust
Recipes courtesy Gourmet Magazine
Serves:
2 servings

Ingredients
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
3 large shallots, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup pulverized fresh bread crumbs
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves or 2 teaspoons dried thyme, crumbled
1 rack of lamb (7 or 8 ribs), frenched, at room temperature, trimmed of as much fat as possible
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a small skillet, heat oil over moderate heat until hot but not smoking and cook shallots with salt and pepper, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add vinegar and boil until liquid is evaporated. Remove skillet from heat and stir in bread crumbs and thyme. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Season lamb with salt and pepper. Heat vegetable oil in a saute pan and sear the lamb on all sides. Transfer, rib side down, to a small roasting pan. Spread the meat side with mustard and pat on crumb mixture, making an even coating. Roast lamb in middle of oven until a meat thermometer registers 120 degrees F for medium-rare, about 25 to 30 minutes.

Carefully transfer lamb to a cutting board and let stand 5 to 10 minutes. Slice lamb into chops.

Wine Suggestions: Penfold Shiraz Rosemount Shiraz

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:02 pm

Lobster Parfaits with Teardrop Tomatoes, Hearts of Palm, and Cilantro-Avocado Dressing
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2006
Serves: 6 servings

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
3/4 cup chopped carrots
3/4 cups chopped celery
4 cloves garlic, smashed
3 bay leaves
1 cup distilled white vinegar
3 lemons, quartered and juiced
3/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
2 (1 1/4-pound) lobsters
8 cups mache or a chiffonade of mixed greens
Cilantro-Avocado Dressing, recipe follows
1 1/2 cups halved teardrop tomatoes
1 1/2 cups diced hearts of palm
1 1/2 cups orange segments, white pith removed
Fresh cilantro sprigs, for garnish

Directions
Set a 6-quart stockpot with 1-gallon of water over high heat and bring to a boil. Add the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaves, vinegar, lemons and juice, salt and cayenne pepper. Bring the pot to a boil and allow to cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Place the lobster into the water and cook until red and cooked through, about 7 to 8 minutes. Immediately immerse in ice water to halt the cooking. Once the lobsters have cooled, remove from the water and set aside.

Use a chef's knife to crack the shell of the lobsters and remove the tail meat and claw meat. Chop the lobster into 1/2-inch pieces, and set aside. Place a sixth of the greens into each of 6 large chilled martini glasses. Drizzle a little of the dressing over the greens. Place 1/4 cup of the tomatoes in each of the glasses, as well as 1/4 cup of the hearts of palm, 1/4 cup orange segments and a sixth of the chopped lobster. Drizzle more of the dressing over the parfait and garnish with fresh cilantro sprigs. Serve immediately.

Cilantro-Avocado Dressing:
1 ripe avocado, diced
2/3 cup mayonnaise, preferably homemade
1/2 cup packed cilantro leaves, blanched and drained
1 1/2 tablespoons orange juice
1/2 lime, zested
1 to 2 limes, juiced (4 to 5 tablespoons)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon green hot sauce, or to taste
Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.

Yield: about 2 cups

Cook's Note: Any leftover avocado dressing makes a great dip for chips or veggies!