It's Not That Far Away...Valentines Day

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: It's Not That Far Away...Valentines Day

Post by Pixie » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:11 pm

Does it help that we appreciate you??????????

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:51 pm

Pixie wrote:Does it help that we appreciate you??????????
Oh, of course, I understand that, and appreciate it. I'm just re-groupng my thoughts, my focus.
And you've been instrumental in keeping me in here; the spontaneity, dedication, knowledge...and fun.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:57 pm

Okay! :wave:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:33 pm

Soooooo, how was your first day back at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You must be tired and hungry... what are you making for dinner?????????

:wave:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:58 pm

Pixie wrote:Soooooo, how was your first day back at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You must be tired and hungry... what are you making for dinner?????????

Tired, yes...6:30 to 6:30 is enough for one day. Just messes up ones discretionary time, totally. Hungry, yes. so what to make when you feel like making nothing. Pork Chops! They're already pre-seasoned/par-cooked in the frig. Pan fry em a bit, nuke some chunks of seasoned Yukon Golds, & toss em in the skillet with the Pork Chops and some Brussels Sprouts. 30 minutes...Tops.

The other night Lucifer coaxed me into that last box of CHEEZ-IT. That's right, me.
So I placed a few handfulls in a plastic bag, dusted them with a Pizza Herb mix, a few pinches of Cayenne,. shook em up, and kicked back with a beer. See, it isn't always Duck, pot au feu, and creme brulee.

Actually I powdered the herb mix in a spice mill before I used it. Really kicks up the CHEEZ-IT's.........

Sleep will come easy...I'm more for, relaxation.

Good to see that beam back in the board, pix.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:15 am

Chocolate Mint Tart
Ingredients
3 Eggs
2/3 Cup Heavy Cream
2 Oz Bitter Sweet Chocolate, good quality, melted, cooled
½ Cup Sugar, granulated
2 TBS Cocoa, unsweetened plus extra for dusting Tart
2 TBS Crème de Menthe liqueur plus extra for serving
Whipped Cream & Mint Leaves to serve
Pastry:
1 ¾ Cups Flour, all purpose
2 TBS Confectioners Sugar
1 Stick Butter, unsalted, cubed, chilled (~8 Oz)
2 Egg Yolks
Preparation
Pastry: Mix Flour & Confectioners Sugar in a processor
** Add Butter & process until just resembles bread crumbs
** Add Egg Yolks and process until it forms a Ball
** Wrap in Plastic Wrap and refrigerate 45 minutes
** Roll out Pastry on floured surface and place in a 9 inch, loose bottom, fluted Tart Pan
Refrigerate for 30 minutes
Pre heat Oven to 350 F. Degrees
** Line pastry with Parchment Paper, fill with uncooked rice or pastry weights and Bake 10 minutes. Remove paper & weights and return pastry to Oven for 5 minutes until pastry is dry and crisp
Filling: Place Eggs, Cream, Chocolate, Sugar, Cocoa, Crème de Menthe in a Bowl and beat to combine.
** Pour into Tart Shell and bake 25 to 30 minutes until just set. Set to cool (not in Frig).
** Swirl some extra Crème de Menthe through the Whipped Cream
** Slice Tart and dust with Cocoa powder
Serve wth the cream and garnish each slice with a Mint Leaf

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:21 am

falvegas wrote:
Pixie wrote:Soooooo, how was your first day back at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You must be tired and hungry... what are you making for dinner?????????

Tired, yes...6:30 to 6:30 is enough for one day. Just messes up ones discretionary time, totally. Hungry, yes. so what to make when you feel like making nothing. Pork Chops! They're already pre-seasoned/par-cooked in the frig. Pan fry em a bit, nuke some chunks of seasoned Yukon Golds, & toss em in the skillet with the Pork Chops and some Brussels Sprouts. 30 minutes...Tops.

The other night Lucifer coaxed me into that last box of CHEEZ-IT. That's right, me.
So I placed a few handfulls in a plastic bag, dusted them with a Pizza Herb mix, a few pinches of Cayenne,. shook em up, and kicked back with a beer. See, it isn't always Duck, pot au feu, and creme brulee.

Actually I powdered the herb mix in a spice mill before I used it. Really kicks up the CHEEZ-IT's.........

Excellent 30 minute meal!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the CHEEZ IT'S recipe!!!!!!! Yummy!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!! No more holiday emote avatars until Valentine's Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Johnny 99
Formerly known as "kad"
Location: I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Post by Johnny 99 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:38 am

falvegas wrote:I think there aren't enough males in here who give a hoot about cooking. I feel like a boy hanging around a girls club. Thought I might lure some in on a Valentines post...fat chance. It's early but never too early to plan, not for the significant other.
Hey! I come in here all the time.

I make smart aleck comments.

I leave.

Sort of like I do everywhere else.

:mrgreen:

DSMBaptist
Perma-Newb™
Location: Destroying the New World Order and putting NEOCONS in their place!

Post by DSMBaptist » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:42 pm

falvegas wrote:I think there aren't enough males in here who give a hoot about cooking. I feel like a boy hanging around a girls club. Thought I might lure some in on a Valentines post...fat chance. It's early but never too early to plan, not for the significant other.
Haven't you heard it said that most of the best professional chefs are men? ;)

(Waiting for a >>> :ialu:

or >>> :fight:

or>>> :angry2:

or perhaps a >>> :wait:
From IALU, Tatulip, K-Right, abbi, annie, Winkey, Pixie, Country Girl, and the rest of the wimin here!)

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:48 pm

DSMBaptist wrote:

From IALU, Tatulip, K-Right, abbi, annie, Winkey, Pixie, Country Girl, and the rest of the wimin here!)

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: DSMBaptist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best Chefs are men!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My father was a classically trained Chef! He trained in France for 15 years with some training in Italy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

During his lifetime he owned five restaurants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I know of a LOT of VERY GOOD women Chefs but they don't, at this time, compare with the men!!!!!!! Maybe someday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DSMBaptist
Perma-Newb™
Location: Destroying the New World Order and putting NEOCONS in their place!

Post by DSMBaptist » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:11 pm

Pixie wrote:
DSMBaptist wrote:

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: DSMBaptist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best Chefs are men!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My father was a classically trained Chef! He trained in France for 15 years with some training in Italy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

During his lifetime he owned five restaurants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I know of a LOT of VERY GOOD women Chefs but they don't, at this time, compare with the men!!!!!!! Maybe someday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cool! :cheer:

I'm glad that you agree with me, Pixie! :hug2:

But you know...it doesn't hurt to cover one's butt! ;)

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:26 pm

Well I'l be looking in on you guys from time to time....just fire away. I should have some discretionary time starting next week.

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:37 am

falvegas wrote:

I'll be feeling your pain Monday. :sad: Back to hell. :sad: :sad:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:08 am

:wave: Abbi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's wonderful to see you back!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you had a great time!!!!!!!!!!!

:wave: :wave: :wave:

P.S., sorry about Monday!!!!!!!!!!! :lolh: I went through it last Monday!!!!! :ohwell:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:26 pm

My very best favorites (for what it's worth)

** Warm Blueberry Pie with French Vanilla Ice Cream
** Banana Cream Pie
** Boston Cream Pie

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:09 am

Spiced Blueberry Pie
Source: Cooking at a Glance - Pies & Pastries

Makes 8 servings
The spices in this pie make it special, but if you’re hooked on tradition, omit the cinnamon, allspice, and cloves. The milk and sugar on top glaze the crust beautifully.

INGREDIENTS
For the Filling:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
Dash ground cloves
6 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

For the Pastry:
Pastry for Double-Crust Pie (see below)
Milk
Granulated sugar

DIRECTIONS

FOR THE FILLING:
In a large mixing bowl combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar, the brown sugar, cornstarch, lemon peel, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves. Add fresh or frozen blueberries. Toss gently till berries are coated. (If using frozen berries, let stand 15-30 minutes, or till berries are partially thawed but still icy.)

FOR THE PASTRY:
Prepare and roll out pastry as directed. Line a 9-inch pie plate with half of the pastry. Stir berry mixture; transfer to pastry-lined pie plate. Cut slits in top crust. Place crust on filling. Trim, seal, and crimp edge of pastry. Brush crust with milk and sprinkle with granulated sugar.

To prevent overbrowning, cover the edge of the pie with foil. Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F oven for 25 minutes (50 minutes for frozen berries). Remove foil and bake for 20-25 minutes more for fresh berries (20-30 minutes for frozen berries), or till top is golden. Cool on a rack.

Recipe reprinted by permission of Weldon Owen. All rights reserved.

Makes pastry for one single- or double-crust pie

Fundamental to many pie recipes, this basic pie dough results in a tender, flaky crust every time.

INGREDIENTS
Pastry for Single-Crust Pie:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening or cold butter
3-4 tablespoons water
Pastry for Double-Crust Pie:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup shortening or cold butter
6-7 tablespoons water

DIRECTIONS

FOR SINGLE CRUST:
In a mixing bowl stir together flour and salt. Cut in shortening or butter till pieces are the size of small peas. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push to side of bowl. Repeat till all is moistened (you may not need all of the water). Form dough into a ball. (If desired, chill for 1-24 hours.) On a lightly floured surface, flatten dough with hands. Roll dough from center to edges, forming a circle about 12 inches in diameter (or as indicated in recipe). Wrap pastry around rolling pin. Unroll onto a 9-inch pie plate (or as indicated in recipe). Or, fold pastry into quarters and place in pie plate; unfold. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate; fold extra pastry under. Crimp edge, if desired. Bake as directed in recipe.

FOR DOUBLE CRUST:
Prepare dough as directed above, except divide dough in half. Form each half into a ball. (If desired, chill for 1-24 hours.) On a lightly floured surface, flatten one ball of dough with hands. Roll dough from center to edges, forming a circle about 12 inches in diameter (or as indicated in recipe). Wrap pastry around rolling pin. Unroll onto a 9-inch pie plate (or as indicated in recipe). Or, fold pastry into quarters and place in pie plate; unfold. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Fill with desired filling. Trim pastry even with rim of pie plate. For top crust, roll remaining dough. Cut slits to allow steam to escape. Place top crust on filling. Trim top crust 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate. Fold top crust under bottom crust; crimp edge or press together with the tines of a fork. Bake as directed in recipe.

TO PREPARE PASTRY:
In a food processor, place the steel blade in work bowl. Add flour, salt, and shortening or butter. Process with on/off turns till most of the mixture resembles cornmeal but a few larger pieces remain. With machine running, quickly add 3 tablespoons water for single-crust pie, or 1/4 cup cold water for double-crust pie, through the feed tube. Stop processor as soon as all water is added. Scrape down sides. Process with 2 on/off turns (mixture may not all be moistened). Remove from bowl and shape into 1 or 2 equal balls. (If desired, chill for 1-24 hours.) Continue as above.

For a fully baked pastry shell, prepare as above, except prick bottom and sides of crust generously with the tines of a fork. Prick where bottom and sides meet all around crust. Line pastry shell with a double thickness of foil. Bake in a preheated 450° oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 5-6 minutes more or till golden. Cool on a rack.

Serving size = 1/8 piep

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:10 am

Old-Fashioned Blueberry Pie
Source: © EatingWell Magazine
Makes 8 servings

INGREDIENTS
4 cups fresh or frozen thawed, blueberries
2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Prepared pie crust dough for one 9-inch double-crust pie
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons cream or milk

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Rinse and drain the fresh blueberries or drain the frozen blueberries. Set aside.

In a bowl, combine the sugar and cornstarch and mix well until all lumps disappear. Add the blueberries and lemon juice. Toss to combine.

Roll out half of the dough and fit it into a 9-inch pie pan. Fill with the blueberry mixture. Dot with the butter. Roll out the remaining dough. Moisten the edge of the bottom crust with water. Fit top crust over the filled pie. Trim and crimp edges. Make 2 or 3 vent holes in the top crust.

Brush the top crust with the cream or milk. Place the pie on a baking sheet with sides. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees F. and continue baking for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling.

Recipe reprinted by permission of Doubleday. All rights reserved.

Here's my NEW FAVORITE pie crust recipe to go with this!

2/3 C plus 2T Butter Flavored Crisco or 2/3 C lard
2 C all-purpose flour*
1 t salt
4 to 5 T iced cold water

Cut shortening into flour and salt until particles are size of small pea Sprinkle in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans side of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons water can be added if necessary).

Gather pastry into a ball and divide in half; working with one-half at a time, shape into flattened round on lightly floured cloth-covered board.

Roll first pastry 2 inches larger than inverted pie plate with floured rolling pin. Fold into quarters and place tip into middle of pie plate and unfold ensuring the bottom crust fits into the edges of the pie plate but DO NOT STRETCH dough.

Turn desired filling into pastry-lined pie plate. Trim overhanging edge of pastry 1/2 inch from rim of plate. Roll other round of pastry. Fold into quarter; cut slits so steam can escape. Place over filling unfold. Trim overhanging edge of pastry 1 inch from rim of plate. Fold and roll top edge under lower edge, pressing on rim to seal; flute crust as desired and finish with above recipe.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:15 am

Banana Cream Pie I
Servings: 8

"You 'll adore this ambrosial banana cream pie that 's filled with lots of bananas and a creamy pudding mixture. Once this pie is prepared, it 's slipped into the oven for about 15 minutes, chilled and served to raves."

Ingredients:
3/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
3 egg yolks, beaten 2 tablespoons butter
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
4 bananas, sliced

Directions:
1. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, and salt. Add milk in gradually while stirring gently. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is bubbly. Keep stirring and cook for about 2 more minutes, and then remove from the burner.
2. Stir a small quantity of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks, and immediately add egg yolk mixture to the rest of the hot mixture. Cook for 2 more minutes; remember to keep stirring. Remove the mixture from the stove, and add butter and vanilla. Stir until the whole thing has a smooth consistency.
3. Slice bananas into the cooled baked pastry shell. Top with pudding mixture.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 12 to 15 minutes. Chill for an hour.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:20 am

Old-fashioned Banana Cream Pie Recipe

Before cool whip and instant pudding, this is how a cream pie was made. If you leave out the bananas, you have vanilla cream pie. If you add 1 cup shredded coconut to milk as it's being heated, you have coconut cream pie.

SERVES 8

1 9-inch pie shell, baked
3 cups whole milk
3/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 bananas

Have baked 9-inch pie shell ready.

In a large saucepan, scald the milk.

In another saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt; gradually stir in the scalded milk.

Over medium heat, stirring constantly, cook until thickened.

Cover and, stirring occasionally, cook for two minutes longer.

In a small bowl, have the 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten, ready; stir a small amount of the hot mixture into beaten yolks; when thoroughly combined, stir yolks into hot mixture.

Cook for one minute longer, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat and blend in the butter and vanilla.

Let sit until lukewarm.

When ready to pour, slice bananas and scatter in pie shell; pour warm mixture over bananas.

If desired, make a meringue (you'll have 3 leftover egg whites) to top the pie, or just let the pie cool until serving.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This is my favorite Banana Creme Pie recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:24 am

Boston Cream Pie
By Gale Gand

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sifted cake flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup cooking oil
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Pastry cream, recipe follows
Ganache, recipe follows

Pastry Cream Filling:
2 cups whole, 2 percent fat, or 1 percent fat milk
1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped out
6 egg yolks
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Ganache:
8 ounces semisweet chocolate
1 cup heavy cream, boiling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add milk, oil, egg yolks, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed until combined. Beat an additional 3 minutes on high speed and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium to high speed until soft peaks form. Pour the egg yolk mixture over the egg white mixture and fold in. Gently pour the batter into a 9-inch greased pie pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched. Invert the pan onto a wire rack. Cool completely.

Pastry Cream Filling: In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and vanilla bean to a boil over medium heat. Immediately turn off the heat and set aside to infuse for 10 to 15 minutes. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add the cornstarch and whisk vigorously until no lumps remain. Whisk in 1/4 cup of the hot milk mixture until incorporated. Whisk in the remaining hot milk mixture, reserving the empty saucepan.

Pour the mixture through a strainer back into the saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and slowly boiling. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter. Let cool slightly. Cover with plastic wrap, lightly pressing the plastic against the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Chill at least 2 hours or until ready to serve. (The custard can be made up to 24 hours in advance. Refrigerate until 1 hour before using.)

Ganache: In a medium bowl, pour the boiling cream over the chopped chocolate and stir until melted.

To assemble pie, remove the cake from the pan. Cut the cake in half horizontally. Place bottom layer on a serving plate or board, and spread with the pastry cream. Top with second cake layer. Pour chocolate ganache over and down the sides of the cake. Store in refrigerator.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:07 am

You really know how to hurt a guy. You've inticed me to bake this weekend, maybe fall in love. Guess that means today, Sunday is the Conference play-offs.
Funny, the things that trigger motivation. Saw 1 1/2 Lb. boxes of large bush blueberries in Trader Joes, and a gargantua pile of truly beautiful new Bananas...thought of those first 2 Pies.

Thank You, my friend.

My recipes for these pies are, So-So. If you've made one of them let me know. If you find the time...Right!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:47 am

I've made, and I LOVE, both the Old Fashioned recipes... Blueberry & Banana Creme. I've never made a Boston Creme Pie... but this recipe looked good and I remember posting the recipe that went with the picture you posted of a Boston Creme Pie. I think you used that recipe with your family for Christmas????

You, my friend, are very welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!

:pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:08 am

Pixie wrote:I've made, and I LOVE, both the Old Fashioned recipes... Blueberry & Banana Creme. I've never made a Boston Creme Pie... but this recipe looked good and I remember posting the recipe that went with the picture you posted of a Boston Creme Pie. I think you used that recipe with your family for Christmas????

You, my friend, are very welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!

:pixie: :pixie: :pixie:
Actually my sister made her own Boston Cream, she liked hers better...can't remember why.

I copied your recipes into my files, and I may repeat them for Super Bowl, if I get some help around here. I have so much more to prepare. Thanks again. Happy Saturday.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:20 pm

Strawberry, Kiwi, And Spinach Salad
Servings: 8

"What a wonderful surprise the dressing is in this refreshing salad. Raspberry jam is swirled into raspberry vinegar, and then mixed with oil. This luscious dressing is tossed with the kiwi, strawberries, walnuts and spinach. Makes eight servings."

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons raspberry jam
1/3 cup vegetable oil
8 cups spinach, rinsed and torn into bite-size pieces
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
8 strawberries, quartered
2 kiwis, peeled and sliced

Directions:
1. Mix together raspberry vinegar, raspberry jam, and vegetable oil in a small container.
2. Combine spinach, nuts, strawberries, and kiwi in a salad bowl. Toss with raspberry dressing.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2009 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 1/17/2009

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:38 pm

Lamb for Lovers
Servings: 4

"A delectable demi-glace of slowly simmered lamb trimmings, garlic, onions, carrots, celery, port, red wine, chicken broth, rosemary, and mint make a sensuous sauce for this elegant rack of lamb. Start the sauce at least one day before serving."

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 (7 bone) racks of lamb, trimmed, fat reserved
salt and pepper to taste
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, diced
4 carrots, diced
1 cup celery tops
1 cup port wine
1 cup red wine
1 (14.5 ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
5 sprigs fresh spearmint
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
1 cup mint apple jelly
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 sprigs fresh mint

Directions:
1. To Make Demi-Glace: Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, and add trimmings from lamb. Season with salt and pepper. Brown the fat, reduce heat, and add 4 cloves minced garlic, onion, carrots, celery leaves, port, red wine, and chicken broth. Transfer the mixture to a slow cooker, and simmer on Low 8 hours, or overnight.

2. Strain the slow cooker mixture into a saucepan over medium-low heat. Mix in the spearmint, rosemary, and mint jelly, and simmer, adding more port, wine, or broth as needed, until mixture leaves a syrup-like coating on the back of a spoon. Strain once more, and keep warm while lamb roasts.

3. To Roast Lamb: Place a cast iron or oven-proof skillet in the oven, and preheat to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Rub lamb with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. Coat with panko bread crumbs.

4. Carefully remove the heated skillet from the oven, warm 2 tablespoons olive oil in the skillet, and sear lamb on both sides. Return the skillet with the lamb to the preheated oven, and continue cooking 5 to 10 minutes, to an internal temperature of 145 degrees F (63 degrees C).

5. Pour a small amount of the demi-glace on platter and arrange lamb criss-crossed. Drizzle with more demi-glace, and garnish with fresh mint to serve.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:42 pm

Roasted Potatoes with Greens
Servings: 2

"Roasted potatoes mingle with fresh spinach in a sauce of garlic, butter, sea salt and fresh rosemary. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil and/or a good shredded hard cheese like Parmesan or Pecorino if you like."

Ingredients:
6 small red potatoes, quartered
2 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, minced 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 cup fresh spinach leaves

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

2. Place the potatoes in a single layer in a ceramic casserole dish. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook until golden. Stir in the rosemary, and cook just until fragrant. Pour over the potatoes in the dish. Season with sea salt and pepper.

3. Roast uncovered for about 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the potatoes are fork tender. Remove from the oven, and toss with the spinach leaves. Return to the oven for 1 to 2 minutes, until the spinach has wilted.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:46 pm

Warm Shrimp Salad
Servings: 3

"The gently sauteed shrimp are combined with butter lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, cucumbers, and shredded carrots, and then topped with your favorite dressing."

Ingredients:
1 pound medium shrimp - peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons butter
2 lemons, juiced
2 heads butter lettuce
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 cucumber, cleaned and chopped
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/3 cup vinaigrette salad dressing

Directions:
1. In a large saute pan melt butter over medium heat. Add the shrimp and lemon juice, cook until shrimp just turn pink. Remove from heat and drain.

2. In a large bowl tear lettuce into bite-size pieces, add the tomatoes, avocado, celery, cucumber carrots and cooked shrimp, toss to combine. Top with your favorite dressing or vinaigrette

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:52 pm

Parmesan Puffs

"Parmesan cheese dough drops are baked into puffy little appetizer balls and dipped in warm marinara sauce."

Ingredients:
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup marinara sauce

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking sheet.

2. In a medium saucepan, bring milk and margarine to boil over medium high heat. Stir in flour and reduce heat to low. Vigorously stir until thick enough to form into a ball. Remove from heat.

3. Beat eggs into the mixture until smooth. Stir in Parmesan cheese.

4. Drop the dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven 15 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown. Serve warm with warmed marinara sauce for dipping.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:57 pm

Strawberries Flambeed in Vodka with Hot Ice Cream

"An exotic dessert that joins strawberries, vodka, ice cream and hot pepper!"

Ingredients:
2 large scoops vanilla ice cream, softened
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup white sugar
2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
2 fluid ounces vodka

Directions:
1. Stir together the vanilla ice cream and hot pepper sauce in a medium bowl. Place in the freezer until firm.

2. Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Stir in the sugar until dissolved, then add the strawberries. Cook, stirring occasionally until the strawberries are hot. Pour the vodka over the berries, and carefully light with a match. Let the flames burn off, then remove the pan from the heat.

3. Scoop the hot ice cream into two bowls, then divide the strawberry vodka sauce between them. Serve immediately.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:10 pm

Lamb for Lovers
Rosemary and Port with Lamb....now we're cooking with gas. Way to Go, pix.