Super Bowl Sunday Recipes and Ideas!

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Super Bowl Sunday Recipes and Ideas!

Post by Pixie » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:46 pm

German Cheddar and Beer Fondue
Serves: 4 servings

1 sack, 10 ounces, 2 1/2 cups, shredded sharp Cheddar, available on dairy aisle
1/4 to 1/3 pound, 4 to 6 ounces, Gruyere, shredded
1 rounded tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 cup German lager beer
2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
A few drops hot sauce
A few drops Worcestershire sauce

For Serving:
1 1/2 pounds cubed or thick sliced and browned wursts: knock, brat or brot,
1 package mini party franks (recommended: Boars Head)
1 head cauliflower, separated into florets
1 small jar mini Gherkin pickles, drained
1 small jar pickled onions, available on vegetable aisle
1 small, round loaf rye, pumpernickel or sour dough bread, cubed

Combine cheeses in a bowl with flour. Add beer to a small pot and bring up to a bubble over medium heat. Reduce the heat to simmer and add cheese in handfuls. Stir constantly, melting the cheese in batches. Stir in a figure-eight pattern with wooden spoon. When the cheese has been incorporated fully, stir in the mustard, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Transfer fondue to warm fondue pot.
In a large skillet, bring 2-inches of water to a boil and blanch the cauliflower for 2 to 3 minutes, drain and arrange around the fondue pot.

In the same pan, bring the cooking water back to a boil and add the mini franks and sliced wursts. Cook, uncovered until all the liquid has evaporated. Add 1 tablespoon butter to the pan to crisp the casings. Pile wursts and dogs near fondue. Complete the dipping selections with dishes of pickles, onions and cubed bread.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a very easy recipe! Perfect for all the football games that will be coming up! :clap2: :clap2:
Last edited by Pixie on Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

falvegas

Re: German Cheddar & Beer Fondue by Rachael Ray

Post by falvegas » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:59 pm

Excellent...I've got this one copied. Football & Beer can not be separated. And the Spicy mustard...Yummmm. Love the Pickles, Sausage, and Pumpernickle. My kind of fare.
My father made his own beer, about 60 quarts a month. Gave a lot of it away. My brother and I (from when I was 11) had to siphon the beer from the crock and bottle it, cap it. That's when I first got 'crocked'.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:02 pm

:lolh: Do you make beer?????

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:22 pm

Pixie wrote::lolh: Do you make beer?????
Not since I moved West, Pix. Weather is too warm. We had a 14 room house with a full cellar (basement some call it). The temperature stayed between 45 and 65 degrees all year round. My Dad ordered his Malt, Yeast, and stuff from Canada every month. His Beer was similar to a Wheat Beer, probably why my preference to this day is Wheat Beer. Modified my DNA.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:56 pm

falvegas wrote:
Pixie wrote::lolh: Do you make beer?????
Not since I moved West, Pix. Weather is too warm. We had a 14 room house with a full cellar (basement some call it). The temperature stayed between 45 and 65 degrees all year round. My Dad ordered his Malt, Yeast, and stuff from Canada every month. His Beer was similar to a Wheat Beer, probably why my preference to this day is Wheat Beer. Modified my DNA.

Makes sense to me! I like beer in some foods, such as this fondue, but I've never been a beer drinker so I don't know what a Wheat Beer would taste like. :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

College Boy
You can call me College Professor Boy
Location: Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun, or the rain.

Post by College Boy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:09 pm

I used to make a kickass amber back when it was fashionable to homebrew. I wonder where all my homebrew supplies have gone to.

-Mike

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:37 am

Pixie wrote:German Cheddar and Beer Fondue
Serves: 4 servings

1 sack, 10 ounces, 2 1/2 cups, shredded sharp Cheddar, available on dairy aisle
1/4 to 1/3 pound, 4 to 6 ounces, Gruyere, shredded
1 rounded tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 cup German lager beer
2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
A few drops hot sauce
A few drops Worcestershire sauce

For Serving:
1 1/2 pounds cubed or thick sliced and browned wursts: knock, brat or brot,
1 package mini party franks (recommended: Boars Head)
1 head cauliflower, separated into florets
1 small jar mini Gherkin pickles, drained
1 small jar pickled onions, available on vegetable aisle
1 small, round loaf rye, pumpernickel or sour dough bread, cubed

Combine cheeses in a bowl with flour. Add beer to a small pot and bring up to a bubble over medium heat. Reduce the heat to simmer and add cheese in handfuls. Stir constantly, melting the cheese in batches. Stir in a figure-eight pattern with wooden spoon. When the cheese has been incorporated fully, stir in the mustard, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Transfer fondue to warm fondue pot.
In a large skillet, bring 2-inches of water to a boil and blanch the cauliflower for 2 to 3 minutes, drain and arrange around the fondue pot.

In the same pan, bring the cooking water back to a boil and add the mini franks and sliced wursts. Cook, uncovered until all the liquid has evaporated. Add 1 tablespoon butter to the pan to crisp the casings. Pile wursts and dogs near fondue. Complete the dipping selections with dishes of pickles, onions and cubed bread.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
This is a very easy recipe! Perfect for all the football games that will be coming up!
:clap2: :clap2:
Usually about 15 people show up for Super Bowl, and these guys do eat. I’m not sure I trust them around a Fondue flame but I’m thinking of trying it. This was last years spread:

Snacks: Buffalo Wings & Fried Zucchini Poppers with Sour Cream Dip
2 Salsas: Salsa Fresca, Salsa Pepitas & multicolored Corn Chips
2 Chili Dishes: Chili Verde, Chili Colorado w/Jack Cheese, Flour Tortillas, Cilantro
Platter: Pepper Steak Sandwiches with lots of Chips
3 Pizzas: Basic Margherita, Clam Pizza & Pepperoni Pizza
Dips: Guacamole, Spinach, and Clam…various Crackers and Chips
Lots of Beer & Strawberry Margaritas

I keep the Chili in Crock Pots out on the porch (these guys can make a mess). The Pepper Steak Sans and Pizzas are put out at Half time. They go together fast but I don’t miss the game because I have a TV in the Kitchen. A few bring their wives and girl friends and they’ll usually bring something…they’d likely enjoy the Fondue.

It's 6 AM, they all just went to sleep. I'm still up, we didn't have dinner until 1 AM. I'll crash when I crash.

HAPPY NEW YEAR Everyone..............

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:55 am

YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, so where are the recipes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

I'm going to change the name of the thread to "Super Bowl" Recipes!!!!!!!!!!!! We can post recipes and ideas as it's right around the corner!!!!!!!!!! :cheer: :highfive: :stars: :thumbsup: :yes:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:33 am

Pixie wrote:YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, so where are the recipes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

I'm going to change the name of the thread to "Super Bowl" Recipes!!!!!!!!!!!! We can post recipes and ideas as it's right around the corner!!!!!!!!!! :cheer: :highfive: :stars: :thumbsup: :yes:
You'll have to excuse me right now, pix...I'm not running on all cylinders. It's not the company, it's the hour.

I'll post the Buffalo Wing recipe, and the Fried Zucchini Poppers
The Chili and the Salsa recipes I've already posted in here. I can paste them back in here.
The Pepper Steak Sandwich recipe I also posted previously. I can paste that back here.
I never did put in my Guacamole recipe, that's a walk in the park
The Margherita Pizza recipe I will post, and they can use their imagination for the other two.
I'll post the Strawberry Margarita recipe, there is a special technique to it. When they bring their women, they always call me and beg that I make them.

Actually I hadn't decided on the menu yet but you (just like you) shocked me into realizing it's about a month away.

Pixie

Re: Super Bowl Sunday Recipes and Ideas!

Post by Pixie » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:46 am

:) It's a VERY slow moving day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO rush, as you say we have almost a month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't decided on a menu either as you know I'll work with my sister but I think I'll scour the net and post some ideas for others!!!!!!!!!!!

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Here's an embarrassing admission... I don't know who's playing in the Super Bowl this year!!! :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

College Boy

Post by College Boy » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:54 am

What's a super bowl? Is that like a really big soup and salad bar?

-Mike

Johnny 99
Formerly known as "kad"
Location: I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Post by Johnny 99 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:13 pm

Here is my Super Bowl Sunday recipe:

Buy a bag of Tostitos.

Buy a jar of Chi-Chi's Medium Salsa.

Dip the Tostitos into the salsa.

Wash down with generous helpings of beer.

Enjoy!

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:15 pm

Pixie wrote::) It's a VERY slow moving day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO rush, as you say we have almost a month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't decided on a menu either as you know I'll work with my sister but I think I'll scour the net and post some ideas for others!!!!!!!!!!!

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Here's an embarrassing admission... I don't know who's playing in the Super Bowl this year!!! :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:
It's OK, the NFL is just going into the Play-offs, we won't know for a few weeks.
There's a zillion recipes out there for these sports parties. My rule is to make it fun, nutritious, and most of all, simple, give me time to socialize and watch the game.
I need a maid. I'll get a new diswasher...you know, 22, blue eyes, blonde :teehee:

I trust you're not cooking for 200 at a church...tell me it isn't so.......

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:26 pm

:laugh: That explains why I don't know who's playing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

The only thing I know is the Lions set a new record! 0 - 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

No cooking today! I'm taking the day off! Well, not completely off but no "from scratch" cooking. So, is there a football game on today???? Or maybe it's one of the Bowl games?????? It's been several years now since I watched football so I've forgotten how this works!! :shock: :shock: :headscratch: :shock: :shock:

We had a 9:00pm until midnight church function last night and the church served cookies and coffee; so, I thought I'd bake homemade Chocolate Chip cookies... I made 6 dozen... I got to the church and about 35 other ladies had done the same thing!!!!!!!!!!! :lolh: Not all Chocolate Chip cookies, but cookies, it was fun!!!!! Of course the home baked cookies went first!

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:53 pm

Pixie wrote::laugh: That explains why I don't know who's playing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

The only thing I know is the Lions set a new record! 0 - 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

No cooking today! I'm taking the day off! Well, not completely off but no "from scratch" cooking. So, is there a football game on today???? Or maybe it's one of the Bowl games?????? It's been several years now since I watched football so I've forgotten how this works!! :shock: :shock: :headscratch: :shock: :shock:

We had a 9:00pm until midnight church function last night and the church served cookies and coffee; so, I thought I'd bake homemade Chocolate Chip cookies... I made 6 dozen... I got to the church and about 35 other ladies had done the same thing!!!!!!!!!!! :lolh: Not all Chocolate Chip cookies, but cookies, it was fun!!!!! Of course the home baked cookies went first!
Cookie-Mania...wow! They do have therapy for that, you know......... :teehee:
My sisters went to the big show & fireworks downtown. I picked them up before 1 AM, and the Prime Rib was done when we got back. So we sat around eating with a few others until about 4 AM. Haven't slept since.

This might help in conversations and any planning you may have:

PLAY-OFFS (Wild card) Jan 4
Saturday: Atlanta at Arizona, (4:30 p.m. ET, NBC)
Saturday: Indianapolis at San Diego, (8 p.m. ET, NBC)
Sunday: Baltimore at Miami, (1 p.m. ET, CBS)
Sunday: Philadelphia at Minnesota (4:30 p.m. ET, Fox)

PLAY-OFFS (Wild card) Jan 11
Saturday: Baltimore, San Diego or Indianapolis at Tennessee, (4:30 p.m. ET, CBS)
Saturday: Arizona, Atlanta or Minnesota at Carolina, (8:15 p.m. ET, Fox)
Sunday: Arizona, Atlanta or Philadelphia at New York Giants, (1 p.m. ET, Fox)
Sunday: Miami, San Diego or Indianapolis at Pittsburgh (4:45 p.m. ET, CBS)

CHAMPIONSHIP-Play-Offs Jan 18-Sunday
NFC Championship (3 p.m., ET, Fox)
AFC Championship (6:30 p.m. ET, CBS)

Feb 1, Sunday
SUPER BOWL XLIII, 6:00 PM ET, NBC

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:29 pm

COOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:embarrassed: My brother-in-law will be impressed!!!!!!!! My sister will laugh and ask me "who are you and what have you done with my sister"!!!!!!!!!!! :lolh:

I'll print this to take with me!!!!!!!!!

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:07 pm

These are some of the main dishes I prepared for Last Years Super Bowl; I'll post the few remaining later.
** Pizza Margherita
** Anchor Bar Buffalo Wings
** Halftime Chili
** Salsa Pepitas, Salsa Fresca, & Pineapple Salsa
** Chili Verde (Green Chili)
** Pepper Steak Sandwiches

Pizza
Some refer this to Pizza Margherita

Ingredients
For dough:
1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoon)
1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, divided, plus more for dusting
3/4 cup warm water, divided
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
Topping (use the topping of choice, clams, pepperoni, whatever)
1 (14-to 15-ounces) can whole tomatoes in juice
2 large garlic cloves, smashed
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 basil leaves plus more for sprinkling
1/4 teaspoon sugar
6 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
Equipment: a pizza stone
Preparation
Dough:
** Stir together yeast, 1 tablespoon flour, and 1/4 cup warm water in a large bowl and let stand until surface appears creamy, about 5 minutes. (If mixture isn’t creamy, discard and start over)
** Add 1 1/4 cups flour, remaining 1/2 cup water, salt, and oil and stir until smooth. Stir in enough flour (1/4 to 1/3 cup) for dough to begin to pull away from side of bowl. (Dough will be slightly wet.)
** Knead on a floured surface, lightly re-flouring when dough becomes too sticky, until smooth, soft, and elastic, about 8 minutes. Form into a ball, put in a bowl, and dust with flour. Cover with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel and let rise in a draft-free place at warm room temperature until doubled, about 1 1/4 hours.
Tomato sauce (can be made 5 days ahead if using this topping)
** Place Tomatoes with juice in a blender briefly to make a chunky purée.
** Cook garlic in oil in a small heavy saucepan over medium-low heat until fragrant and pale golden, about 2 minutes. Add tomato purée, basil, sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced to about 3/4 cup, about 40 minutes. Season with salt and cool.
Heat pizza stone:
** At least 45 minutes before baking pizza, put stone on oven rack in lower third of electric oven (floor of gas oven) and preheat oven to 500°F.
Shape dough:
** Do not punch down. Dust dough with flour then transfer to a parchment-lined pizza peel or large baking sheet. Pat out dough evenly with your fingers and stretch into a 14-inch round, re-flouring fingers if necessary.
Assemble pizza:
** Spread sauce over dough, leaving a 1-inch border (sauce may be left over). Arrange cheese on top, leaving a 2- to 3-inch border.
** Slide pizza on parchment onto pizza stone. Bake until dough is crisp and browned and cheese is golden and bubbling in spots, 13 to 16 minutes.
** Using a peel or baking sheet transfer pizza to a cutting board. Cool 5 minutes. Sprinkle with some basil leaves.

Anchor Bar Buffalo Wings

Ingredients:
30 chicken wing pieces
Sauce (or buy Bottled Sauce, Anchor Bar, Frank's, etc.)
6 tablespoons Louisiana hot sauce (now Durkee)
4 tablespoons margarine (not butter!)
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/8 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
1 dash black pepper
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce
Directions:
Sauce
** Mix all the sauce ingredients in a small sauce pan over low heat until the margarine is completely melted. Stir occasionally.
Wings
** Separate Wings into ‘Winglet’s" discarding the tips (or use bags of frozen cut up wings and defrost them)
** Fry the wings in a deep fryer set at 375 degrees F., using vegetable or peanut oil. Fry 15 wings at a time for 12-15 minutes. Drain the wings for a few minutes then put them in a bowl.
** After wings are fried, pour the sauce over them, cover the bowl, and shake to completely coat the wings.
** Place them on a Baking Sheet and bake a few minutes to get a crispy coating.

Serve with carrot and celery sticks, Marie's Bleu Cheese Dressing, and cold beer

HALFTIME CHILI
This is an abbreviated version of my Full Chili recipe, and this can be made in one forth the time. Make it 3 days in advance.
Ingredients:
5 TBS Olive Oil
1 1/2 cups Onion, chopped
½ Cup celery, chopped fine
1-Bell Pepper, diced (or ½ green, ½ Red bell pepper)
1 Jalapeno and 1 Serrano Chili, diced fine
8 large Garlic cloves, chopped
3 ½ Lbs Chuck, very coarse ground, or cube the meat yourself
2 TBS Flour, all purpose (for dusting meat) Can use Masa Flour.
5 TBS Chili Powder or 1/3 Cup home made Chili Sauce (from new Mexico Reds)
1 TBS ground Cumin plus some for dusting
1/2 Tsp dried Basil plus some for dusting
1 Tsp dried Oregano plus some for dusting
1/2 Tsp dried Thyme plus some for dusting
¼ Tsp Cayenne
1 28-ounce can Tomatoes, crushed, with puree
1 14 1/2-ounce can Beef Broth
1 12-ounce bottle Beer
1 6-ounce can Tomato Paste
2 TBS Wine Vinegar 1-TBS Balsamic
1 7-Oz can diced Roasted Green Chilies
1 15- to 16-ounce can prepared Chili Beans (optional to stretch the Chili)
3 TBS Shaved Chocolate, unsweetened (Omit if using the beans)
S & P to taste
Preparation:
** 1 Hour before, Dust the Meat very lightly with each of the main spices (Oregano, Cumin, Basil, Thyme) mixing into meat well, and refrigerate for 1 or 2 hours. .
** Heat 4 TBS oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions, all the peppers, celery, and garlic. Sauté until onions are translucent, about 8 minutes. Remove veggies with a slotted spoon and set aside. Leave oil in the pot.
** Dust refrigerated meat with flour all over. Add meat to Pot on medium-high and brown lightly, breaking up meat with back of spoon, about 3 minutes (do a handful at a time and remove before adding next handful) Do not over cook, add more oil as required.
** Return the Veggies to the Pot, and all the meat. Add Chili Powder, Cumin, Basil, Oregano, Thyme, and Cayenne. Stir and combine for 2 to 3 minutes.
** Mix in the Crushed Tomatoes, Beef Broth, Beer and Tomato Paste. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
** Add the Vinegar and Green Chilies and simmer until thickened to desired consistency, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
** Mix in the Beans (if using) and simmer 5 minutes. If not using the beans, mix in the Chocolate.
** Season with salt and pepper. (Can prepare 3 days ahead, refrigerate until cold, then cover. Re-warm over low heat before serving.)
Serve with grated Jack Cheese, sliced Jalapeno and Serrano’s, Cilantro, Blue & yellow Corn Chips, chopped Scallions, and extra Hot Sauce of choice.

SALSA PEPITAS
(Corn & Pumpkin Seed (Pepita) Salsa)
INGREDIENTS
2-Cups fresh cooked CORN KERNALS
1-1/2 Cups PEPITAS (Unsalted Pumpkin Seeds)
1-1/2 to 2 Cups ripe ROMA TOMATOES, diced into 1/8 to 1/4 Inch pieces
3 to 4 SERRANO CHILIES & 1 RED JALAPENO, diced fine
2-ROASTED ANAHEIM or HATCH GREEN CHILIES, Diced. Or can use 7-Oz Can of diced Ortega or Hatch Green Chilies.
2-TBS Juice from bottle or can of Pickled JALAPENOS
4 to 5 TBS fresh LIME JUICE
1-tsp Ground CUMIN (Grind fresh from Cumin Seed)
1/2-tsp SUGAR
SEA SALT & GROUND PEPPER to taste

PROCEDURE
NOTE: The SALSA should be assembled just before you serve it i.e. keeping the Toasted Pepitas, the Veggies, and the Juice in 3 separate bowls till the last minute.
1.)TOAST Pepitas in a skillet on MED/LOW heat 6 to 10 Min (till toasty Tan Color) (Careful not to burn them) Cover & Set Aside in Bowl #1 or a Jar
2.)COOK Corn (al dente), cool, STRIP the Kernels & place in a Bowl #2
3.)SLICE & DICE Roma Tomatoes discarding seeds & center liquid. Place into Bowl #2 with Corn. Refrigerate if not serving now.
4.)PLACE Diced Green Chilies with Liquid into bowl, Bowl #3.
5.)To Bowl #3 (w/Chili’s) ADD Cumin, Lime Juice, Jalapeno Juice from jar, Diced Serrano’s & Red Jalapeno, Sugar, S&P. Refrigerate if not serving now.
6.)1/2 Hour before Serving, MIX together Bowl #2 (Corn/Tomato) & #3 (Chilies) & re-Refrigerate.
7.)Just when Serving, STIR Pepitas into the refrigerated Salsa (MIX well)

BASIC SALSA FRESCA
4-5 Roma Tomatoes, finely diced
½-Cup Red or White Onion, finely diced
2 to 3 Serrano Chiles, cored, seeded & minced
2-3 TBS Fresh Lime Juice
1-Aneheim Chili, cored, seeded & finely chopped
3-TBS chopped Cilantro
1-tsp Sugar
1-TBS Lime Juice
S&P to taste

Combine all ingredients in a non-aluminum bowl & set at room temperature for about 1-hour to allow flavors to blend. This can be refrigerated up to 2-weeks.

PINEAPPLE SALSA
1-Pineapple, diced
1-Red Bell Pepper, diced
1/2-Green Bell Pepper, diced
1-Cup Fine Chopped Red Onion
3-4 TBS Chopped Cilantro
1-Papaya, diced
2-3 TBS Lime Juice
1-1/2 tsp Rice or Wine Vinegar
½ Habanero Chili, Minced (This is optional, Habanero is HOT, can use 1 or 2-Serranos)
3-Scallions finely chopped
1/8-tsp Cayenne Pepper
S&P to taste

Combine all ingredients in a non-aluminum bowl & refrigerate till ready to serve.

Chili Verde (Green Chili)
This is the quickest and easiest Chili I make. It’s an original New Mexico Chili. It’s made with diced Pork and roasted green Chilies. It can also be used as Dip, a filling for Burritos or a topping for Enchiladas. Natives believe Chili must not be diluted with beans and Tomato so this is strictly with Meat and Green Chilies.
3 TBS bacon Fat or Oil
1 Cup Coarsely Chopped Onion
2 Lb Pork, lean, cut into ½ Inch Cubes
2 TBS Flour
½ Tsp Cumin, ground, preferably fresh ground
2 garlic Cloves, minced
10 New Mexico Green Chilies or Anaheim Chilies, roasted, peeled, cored, seeded, and diced. Can use canned store bought, whole Chilies in a can, already to dice & use.
3 Cups Chicken Stock
3 TBS Cilantro, fresh, fine chopped
1 Tsp Lime Juice
S & P to taste
* In a large heavy pot, heat the Bacon Fat/Oil on Medium-Low
* Sauté the onions until soft (~5 minutes)
* Add Pork Cubes and cook, stirring for 5 minutes more, until meat loses pink color
* Sprinkle the Flour over Pork & Onions. Raise heat slightly and cook until Pork is browned and Onions are golden.
* Stir in Cumin, Garlic and green Chilies, mixing well.
* Slowly add the boiling stock and stir until well incorporated
* Add salt & Pepper, lower heat and simmer about 1 ½ Hours until meat is tender.
Serve with warm Flour Tortillas (wrap in foil to keep warm), Jack Cheese (optional), chopped Jalapeno (optional), and chopped Cilantro.

Pepper Steak Sandwiches
These are so easy, and quick. Good for an afternoon when everyone is busy as a one arm paper hanger. It’s Beach Food, whipped up briskly on a flat grill at a vendor station making Lobster Salad Sandwiches, Fried Clams and French Fries.

Ingredients
** 1 Rib Eye Steak (1-Lb) (can use Sirloin, Flank) Figure ¼ lb per large sandwich
** Canola Oil for Sauté
** Few TBS Sherry Vinegar
** 4 Bell Peppers, cored, seeded, chopped into 1 inch x 2 inch squares. (Use any color)
** Salt & Pepper
** Kaiser Rolls or other substantial sandwich rolls.

Procedure
** Rub Steak all with Sherry Vinegar and season well with S&P.
** Sear Steak in a heavy duty Skillet on high, brushed with Oil ) (~1 minute per side)
Wrap tight in foil and place in freezer to firm meat, but not freeze.
** Add 2 TBS Oil to Steak Skillet on Medium and Sauté the Peppers until al dente. Dust several times with Salt & Pepper to taste. Add more oil as required.
** Slice chilled Steak thinly across the grain (see NOTE at end) Slice into 2 ½ inch strips, and Stir into the Peppers in the Skillet on medium. Cook until steak is just done and peppers are on the edge of soft.
** Pile on Sandwich Rolls (or toasted rolls) and serve with Chips or Fries.
This mixture can be made way in advance, and stir fried in batches when needed.
NOTE: Tougher cuts of steak can be left to marinate with the Sherry Vinegar rub for an hour before searing in the skillet. Tougher cuts should be sliced Very Thin, Across the Grain, and when the meat is Cold.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:46 pm

college boy wrote:I used to make a kickass amber back when it was fashionable to homebrew. I wonder where all my homebrew supplies have gone to.

-Mike

:wave: Mike!

So, did you find your supplies??????

College Boy

Post by College Boy » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:48 pm

Pixie wrote:
college boy wrote:I used to make a kickass amber back when it was fashionable to homebrew. I wonder where all my homebrew supplies have gone to.

:wave: Mike!

So, did you find your supplies??????
No, I think that they are at my Mom's house.

-Mike

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:49 pm

I love the recipe for the Anchor Bar Buffalo Wings!!!!!!! Why margarine and not butter???????

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:51 pm

I LOVE the abbreviated version of the chili!!!!!!! Very practical!!!!!!!!!! I've copied this version too!

I remember the recipes (I copied them the first time!) for the salsas!!!!!!!!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:53 pm

Kad wrote:Here is my Super Bowl Sunday recipe:

Buy a bag of Tostitos.

Buy a jar of Chi-Chi's Medium Salsa.

Dip the Tostitos into the salsa.

Wash down with generous helpings of beer.

Enjoy!
:wave: Kad!!!!!!!!!

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a perfect recipe for you because you have Abbi to take good care of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She's a SWEETHEART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love Abbi!!!!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:54 pm

college boy wrote:What's a super bowl? Is that like a really big soup and salad bar?

-Mike

:rofl2: Yeah, right!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll bet you're a BIG football fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

College Boy

Post by College Boy » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:27 pm

Pixie wrote:
college boy wrote:What's a super bowl? Is that like a really big soup and salad bar?

:rofl2: Yeah, right!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll bet you're a BIG football fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You mean giants fighting over an oblong ball? Doesn't do anything for me.

-Mike

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:46 pm

I really thought you'd be a big football fan!!!!!!!!!

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Pixie wrote:I love the recipe for the Anchor Bar Buffalo Wings!!!!!!! Why margarine and not butter???????
I give up, why the margarine? I could call them...you could call them, they're closer to you....

teasing....for me, Butter makes everything taste good. That's why I meter my use of it.
I posted the truncated Chili recipe because many don't know much about Layered Cooking, and it can be a bit tedious for them.

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:11 pm

falvegas wrote:
Pixie wrote:I love the recipe for the Anchor Bar Buffalo Wings!!!!!!! Why margarine and not butter???????
I give up, why the margarine? I could call them...you could call them, they're closer to you....

teasing....for me, Butter makes everything taste good. That's why I meter my use of it.
I posted the truncated Chili recipe because many don't know much about Layered Cooking, and it can be a bit tedious for them.
I personally would never allow margarine in my refrigerator.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:31 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
falvegas wrote:

I don't have margarine in my refrigerator either... I'd never use margarine when I can use butter... that's why I asked.

If there's not a specific reason for it... I want BUTTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't imagine what the reason could be????

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:32 pm

Oops!!!!!!!!!!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR, CY1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:53 pm

Pixie wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
falvegas wrote:

I don't have margarine in my refrigerator either... I'd never use margarine when I can use butter... that's why I asked.

If there's not a specific reason for it... I want BUTTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't imagine what the reason could be????
I don't know either.
But, Anchor Bar is the establishment that invented the original Buffalo Wings, and they bottle their Hot Wing Sauce for sale. Likely it's the economy and their restaurant rules for those with diet limitations...a guess...but an educated guess.
Unless one is a total freak on Buffalo Wings, just buy their product and save yourself some time. There's a bunch of bottled products for these. The 3 I know of are Anchor Bar (original), Franks, Archie Moore.

Well, they kicked me out of the Kitchen, they're going to cook for me tonight. Have no idea what they're up to but I'm getting some smells, and I think I know what it is; peppers, onions, garlic, and maybe chicken...Cacciatore, must be.