Italian Sausage

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Italian Sausage

Post by abbi » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:46 am

I also want to try making Italian Sausage from scratch too. Any good recipes that you guys know for that?

Fatherducque

Re: Italian Sausage

Post by Fatherducque » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:48 am

First, you get some lean Italians....

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:08 am

I make Homemade Dinner Sausages like once a year because they're inexpensive and I dislike the clean up. I always make my own Breakfast Sausage from ground turkey and good ground pork. Anyway this is the Italian one:

Pork Sausage with Fennel (Homemade)
Fennel is the characteristic flavor in Italian Sausage

2 to 4 strands of Pork Casings, soaked 1 hour in cold water, rinsed, drained
3 Lbs boneless Pork Butt
1 ½ Tsp Salt
2 TBS fresh ground Black Pepper
2 Tsp Crushed Fennel Seeds
Hot Pepper Flakes or Cayenne to taste (optional)
** Remove most fat from Pork. Slice thin and chop or pass through meat grinder, coarse
** Blend Pork with all the seasonings
** Place Casing over mouth of sausage stuffer, and pinch end of casing. Insert sausage meat and start grinder, guiding meat through casing to eliminate bubbles. Twist sausage at desired lengths and tie off (or follow stuffer directions)
You can also do this by hand using a Funnel. Feed into casing vertically. It’s a pain in the Butt…no pun intended.

Home Made Breakfast Sausage
I mostly use ground Turkey (not the breast) when it’s on sale. You can use Pork, whatever.
You can pretty much use the seasonings you like. Certainly Sage is the dominant one.

2 Lbs Pork Shoulder, ground
4 Oz Salt Pork, ground
¼ Cup Water
1/3 Cup Onion, fine chopped
2 TBS Parsley, leaves, fine chopped
4 Tsp Sage, rubbed
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Dried Sweet Pepper Flakes
1 Tsp Chili Powder
½ Tsp Each Dried, Thyme, Marjoram, Basil (crushed)
2 Garlic Cloves, minced to a paste

** With hands, mix well the Ground meats with everything else, and divide the mixture in half.
** On Wax Paper, shape each half into a roll about 6 inches long and 2 inches diameter.
** Lay wax paper on Aluminum Foil and roll up the Sausage. Twist ends tight in opposite directions. You can also do this with plastic wrap and foil. Do both sausage rolls.
** Refrigerate at least 2 hours before using.
** Using: Slice sausage into rounds and cook as usual.
NOTE: With an electric grinder the best method is to 1.) Grind meat Coarse 2.) Mix meat with seasonings 3.) Grind meat again.
Last edited by falvegas on Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:08 am

Fatherducque wrote:First, you get some lean Italians....
:rofl: :rofl:

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:30 am

Fatherducque wrote:First, you get some lean Italians....

:lolh:

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:31 am

falvegas wrote:I make Homemade Dinner Sausages like once a year because their inexpensive and I dislike the clean up. I always make my own Breakfast Sausage from ground turkey and good ground pork. Anyway this is the Italian one:

Pork Sausage with Fennel (Homemade)
Fennel is the characteristic flavor in Italian Sausage

2 to 4 strands of Pork Casings, soaked 1 hour in cold water, rinsed, drained
3 Lbs boneless Pork Butt
1 ½ Tsp Salt
2 TBS fresh ground Black Pepper
2 Tsp Crushed Fennel Seeds
Hot Pepper Flakes or Cayenne to taste (optional)
** Remove most fat from Pork. Slice thin and chop or pass through meat grinder, coarse
** Blend Pork with all the seasonings
** Place Casing over mouth of sausage stuffer, and pinch end of casing. Insert sausage meat and start grinder, guiding meat through casing to eliminate bubbles. Twist sausage at desired lengths and tie off (or follow stuffer directions)
You can also do this by hand using a Funnel. Feed into casing vertically. It’s a pain in the Butt…no pun intended.

Home Made Breakfast Sausage
I mostly use ground Turkey (not the breast) when it’s on sale. You can use Pork, whatever.
You can pretty much use the seasonings you like. Certainly Sage is the dominant one.

2 Lbs Pork Shoulder, ground
4 Oz Salt Pork, ground
¼ Cup Water
1/3 Cup Onion, fine chopped
2 TBS Parsley, leaves, fine chopped
4 Tsp Sage, rubbed
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Dried Sweet Pepper Flakes
1 Tsp Chili Powder
½ Tsp Each Dried, Thyme, Marjoram, Basil (crushed)
2 Garlic Cloves, minced to a paste

** With hands, mix well the Ground meats with everything else, and divide the mixture in half.
** On Wax Paper, shape each half into a roll about 6 inches long and 2 inches diameter.
** Lay wax paper on Aluminum Foil and roll up the Sausage. Twist ends tight in opposite directions. You can also do this with plastic wrap and foil. Do both sausage rolls.
** Refrigerate at least 2 hours before using.
** Using: Slice sausage into rounds and cook as usual.
NOTE: With an electric grinder the best method is to 1.) Grind meat Coarse 2.) Mix meat with seasonings 3.) Grind meat again.
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I will defer to the master as I've never made sausage and this sounds perfect as do all of his recipes!!!!!!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:32 pm

abbi wrote:I also want to try making Italian Sausage from scratch too. Any good recipes that you guys know for that?
Are you sure you want to go through all the trouble? Living in the Boston area you must have some great Italian markets that make their own sausage.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:07 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
abbi wrote:I also want to try making Italian Sausage from scratch too. Any good recipes that you guys know for that?
Are you sure you want to go through all the trouble? Living in the Boston area you must have some great Italian markets that make their own sausage.
The Boston 'North End' (it's Little Italy) has everything Italian of the very best quality one can get.
I'm guessing abbi wants to just do it herself........
Right abbi?

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:51 pm

falvegas wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
The Boston 'North End' (it's Little Italy) has everything Italian of the very best quality one can get.
Right abbi?
You're right falvegas. I don't get into Boston very often and I want to see how I do making it myself.

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:21 pm

abbi wrote:
falvegas wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Right abbi?
You're right falvegas. I don't get into Boston very often and I want to see how I do making it myself.
Well aren't you the ambitious girl. Good for you, I am wayyyyyyyyyy to lazy to atempt anything remotely confusing, complicated or just too much work anymore. :ohwell: