Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
falvegas

Re: Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts

Post by falvegas » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:28 am

iamlookingup wrote:I'd like to buy some BSCB to put in our salads, but don't know how to cook it
where it will be seasoned properly. As you know, I'm not much of a cook, and
it seems whenever I bake the chicken, it ends up dry and flavorless. :cry:

Got any seasoning tips? The BSCB are frozen when I buy them. I'd like to cook
them, cut them up into strips, and put them in our salads for lunch.
You can Poach, Fry, Bake or Grill them. And there's several ways you can get flavor into them. I'll get you some ideas and methods later today.

* For a light salad you can Poach the BSCB's in Chicken Stock with celery, onion, bay, garlic, carrot, parsley, thyme, S&P. coolit then slice or chop for salad. probably simmer 20 to 30 minutes then let cool & slice or chup.

* You can also Marinate the 'thawed' BSCB's overnight in the flavor that fits your salad. Pour some of your favorite Salad Dressing over them, or use a dry marinade from the spices you like, say; Tarragon etc. or mix some of the fruit juice of choice (orange etc.) with some oil...Then Saute, Grill or Broil the BSCB's & slice for the salad. We'll get you some marinades to choose from.
* You can also use Store bottled Marinades or BBQ sauces to brush on the BSCB's when you grill or broil them. That gives quite a bit of flavor to the outside, and adds some crispness, then slice them for the salad when cooled.

A lot depends on the salads you usually like or we can just post a bunch of them. better to know what you prefer (or don't)

Johnny 99
Formerly known as "kad"
Location: I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Post by Johnny 99 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:01 pm

Just don't serve them with grits.

:mrgreen:

Okay, okay, I'll drop the subject of grits now. :wink:

jimbob
Christian Soldier

Post by jimbob » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:29 pm

BSCB ???
:dunno:

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:34 pm

jimbob wrote:BSCB ???
:dunno:
See the thread title. ;)

Do you have a George Forman grill or something similar? I put them on there and season them with whatever you want and they are tasty! If yours are dry, you cooked them too long.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:48 pm

iamlookingup wrote:For one kind of salad, I think I'm gonna buy some cranraisins for a sweet flavor.

For another, it'll probably be greek, with feta and olives.

For another, maybe something with cheese and bacon.

A personal perspective: Most salads usually have an intense flavor of their own, especially with the vinaigrette used. To me, loose salads (not chicken or tuna and the like) taste really good with grilled or fried chicken, chilled then sliced for the salad. Here's some samples;

** Craisins are good: Can Fry Chicken: S&P the breasts, dip in whipped egg mix, drain, dip in flour and pan fry in oil. Cool & Slice for the Salad.
OR: Broil the Chicken: S&P the breasts, place under broiler ( 4 to 5 inches) broil 15 - 20 minutes, until just browned. Remove & Cool slightly. Wisk a jam of choice (like Currant, even honey, or cranberry sauce) with a dash of Oil and a little lemon or orange juice and Brush the Chicken all over. Return to Broiler for about 10 minutes and broil until crispy and done. Cool and slice for salad.
** Greek Salads like Lemon: For the Geek Salad, Broil the Chicken as previously. Make a sauce of Lemon Juice, Grated Lemon Rind, a little Honey, Oil, some dry Oragano, wisk. Brush the breasts and place back under the broiler to finish (as before). Consider adding some fresh Mint to this Greek Salad.
** With the Cheese and Bacon, you already have the intense flavor of the bacon so you can just Poach the Chicken or dust with a little flour and Saute in a skillet...chill and slice for the salad.
For this salad you can also consider buying a can of Pears. Slice the pears for the salad. Make the salad Vinaigrette with the reserved Pear Juice.

Ideas:
A basic Greek Salad (add chicken to this with lemon baste)
3 tomatoes cut in wedges
1 Cucumber cut in thin wedges (medium, cut lengthwise, seeded)
Red Onion cut in thin wedges
8 - 10 Kalamata Olives
1/2 Cup Crumbled Feta
Greek Vinaigrette (equal parts Olive Oli & lemon Juice, chopped Mint, oragano, salt & pepper)

BLT Salad with Cheese (Add chicken to this, poach, saute or basted with fruit juice and broiled)
Bacon slices, cooked
2-TBS minced Shallot
2 TBS Sherry Vinegar
3-TBS Olive Oil
S & P
1-head Frisee, torn in bite size pieces
2-Lbs Tomatoes, assorted, cut in wedges
6 OZ Blue Cheese (or quality rich cheese of choice)
(can add chicken to this and a fruit of choice)
** Wisk Vinegar & Olive Oil with Salt & pepper, and mix into the Frisee. place Frisee on plates and add the Bacon, Cheese, Tomato, chicken (is using), and fruit (if using), around the frisee.
If can't find Frisee, use another light & crisp salad green.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:17 pm

Kad wrote:Just don't serve them with grits.

:mrgreen:

Okay, okay, I'll drop the subject of grits now. :wink:

Oh, that's a great Christmas avatar!!!!!!!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:18 pm

falvegas wrote:
iamlookingup wrote:I'd like to buy some BSCB to put in our salads, but don't know how to cook it

You can Poach, Fry, Bake or Grill them. And there's several ways you can get flavor into them. I'll get you some ideas and methods later today.

* For a light salad you can Poach the BSCB's in Chicken Stock with celery, onion, bay, garlic, carrot, parsley, thyme, S&P. coolit then slice or chop for salad. probably simmer 20 to 30 minutes then let cool & slice or chup.

* You can also Marinate the 'thawed' BSCB's overnight in the flavor that fits your salad. Pour some of your favorite Salad Dressing over them, or use a dry marinade from the spices you like, say; Tarragon etc. or mix some of the fruit juice of choice (orange etc.) with some oil...Then Saute, Grill or Broil the BSCB's & slice for the salad. We'll get you some marinades to choose from.
* You can also use Store bottled Marinades or BBQ sauces to brush on the BSCB's when you grill or broil them. That gives quite a bit of flavor to the outside, and adds some crispness, then slice them for the salad when cooled.

A lot depends on the salads you usually like or we can just post a bunch of them. better to know what you prefer (or don't)
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: IALU... you're in great hands!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:05 pm

I always poach chicken in chicken stock on very, very low heat, covered. You can add herbs and spices and a little white wine if you want and the chicken should be completely covered.

The most important thing is the heat must be very low!!!!!!!!! NOT simmering... lower than that!!!!!!!!

:wave:

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:27 pm

I put them in my smoker. They are too dry for me when baked.

Since you don't have one...my smoker operates with low, even heat applied under a pan of water, with the BSCB above the pan. If you have a wire rack you could put the chicken on, you could try this recipe in your oven (no wood chips though!), putting the chicken over the water pan (A cake or baking pan). Set the oven at about 250-300 and use a meat thermometer to determine when they are done (180 degrees). Keep the pan filled with liquid during the process (check every two hours).

When you make the marinade, make some extra and set it aside to put on the chicken when you serve it. Add a 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger to the marinade, if you have it.

When I have been extraordinarily clever, I cook this to get my wife to start speaking to me again...it's that good. It does not require a lot of skill and little attention when cooking.

There will be a some risk in adapting this smoker recipe to an oven...it might be a little dry...I don't really know what the temperature is in my smoker and am guessing at the equivalent oven temperature...I just fool around until I get things right. Feel like an adventure?

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:45 pm

iamlookingup wrote:How do you poach chicken? :dunno:

And we're trying our best to stay away from bad carbs. I know the cranraisins are sugar, but that won't be the only
salad we make...I'm just trying to get my kids used to having salad for a meal.

And I will ignore the grits comments, because CLEARLY the person posting them has
NO appreciation for authentic, regional cuisine! :ialu:

:lol: :wink:
This is what I posted to you earlier on Poaching:
* For a light salad you can Poach the BSCB's in Chicken Stock with celery, onion, bay, garlic, carrot, parsley, thyme, S&P. Cool it then slice or chop for salad. Probably simmer 20 to 30 minutes then let cool & slice or chop.
Chop the veggies and place everything in a sauce pan with the chicken, cover with water or stock and simmer slowly about 20 to 25 minutes.

However, I'd recommend you broil, fry, ior grill the chicken for most loose salads. The salad will taste better.
If you're going to make a chicken salad, or a soup you can poach it. I posted a couple of recipes for you, previous.

Johnny 99
Formerly known as "kad"
Location: I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Post by Johnny 99 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:18 pm

And we're trying our best to stay away from bad carbs. I know the cranraisins are sugar, but that won't be the only

And I will ignore the grits comments, because CLEARLY the person posting them has

I poach chicken by waiting until Abbi is asleep, then sneaking into her yard and getting one out of the hen house.

It would probably work for you, too.

:nyanya: :lol:

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:10 pm

Kad wrote:

I poach chicken by waiting until Abbi is asleep, then sneaking into her yard and getting one out of the hen house.

No wonder my chickens always hide when you come here. They're probably sick of you chasing them around. :laugh:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:53 pm

abbi wrote:
Kad wrote:

No wonder my chickens always hide when you come here. They're probably sick of you chasing them around. :laugh:
Nahhh....Kad's likely not chasing 'Chics' but 'Capon'. Their caponization eliminates the sex hormones so they're quiet and docile, can't fight, no courting or territorial behavior. They just winked at Kad.

College Boy
You can call me College Professor Boy
Location: Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun, or the rain.

Post by College Boy » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:37 pm

Hunt them on someone else's farm.

-Mike

9outof10

Post by 9outof10 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:57 pm

For starters, boneless, skinless chicken breasts always come out dry. Buy the breasts with the skin and on the bone and cut off after cooking. It is also quite a bit cheaper per pound.

Here is a good way to cook it and get lots of flavor.

Use an all metal pan that can go from the stove top to the oven.

You will need:

Juice of 1 Lemon
Fresh basil
olive oil
butter
garlic, chopped
Balsamic vinegar OR dry red wine. Remember, NEVER cook with wine that you would not drink

Put all those ingredients in frying pan over medium heat. As for the amounts? However much you want.

Season your chicken breasts with salt, pepper or anything you like.

Put chicken in frying pan bone down.Baste pan juice over chicken Cover. Let cook for ten minutes.

After ten minutes, remove cover and place in 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes. Baste again before putting in oven. If it is not done, cook further in 15 minute intervals.

Let cool. Remove skin and cut away from bone. Cut into pieces for salad.

Oh, yeah. That pan juice itself makes a great hot salad dressing for spring mix salads.

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:26 pm

[quote="iamlookingup"]How do you poach chicken? :dunno:

Well at least Kad knows to put mustard and not ketchup on a hot dog unlike a pretty blonde lady we all know. :lol:

If I am lucky you know who won't see this post.
Last edited by ConsrvYank1 on Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:28 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:

Well at least Kad knows to put mustard and not ketchup on a hot dog like a pretty blonde lady we all know. :lol:

Hey Yank1. Good for you on the salads. I still maintain that Broiling, Frying or Grilling chicken for a salad is the best, you release natural sugars and flavors in the meat. And with 2 Steps you can Glaze it with any flavor you want (jams, jellies, honey, whatever). Poaching removes some flavor from meat, it has to. But you just make it the way you like.

I have a ton of salad recipes that are 'a meal'. TELL YOU WHAT: Why don't you Re-Name this post to 'Salads for Dinner' and everyone can post the recipes they have. And we can link sites with recipes.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:43 pm

falvegas wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:

Well at least Kad knows to put mustard and not ketchup on a hot dog unlike a pretty blonde lady we all know. :lol:

Hey Yank1. Good for you on the salads. .
Wasn't me, it was IALU. ;)
Last edited by ConsrvYank1 on Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:45 pm

falvegas wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:

Hey Yank1. Good for you on the salads. I still maintain that Broiling, Frying or Grilling chicken for a salad is the best, you release natural sugars and flavors in the meat. And with 2 Steps you can Glaze it with any flavor you want (jams, jellies, honey, whatever). Poaching removes some flavor from meat, it has to. But you just make it the way you like.

I have a ton of salad recipes that are 'a meal'. TELL YOU WHAT: Why don't you Re-Name this post to 'Salads for Dinner' and everyone can post the recipes they have. And we can link sites with recipes.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:59 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
falvegas wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:

Hey Yank1. Good for you on the salads. .
Wasn't me, it was IALU. ;)
But it was both of you ...I'm just trying to get my kids used to having salad for a meal. was from you. But we should get IALU to rename the post so we can get a salad thing going..............later

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:01 pm

We could start a salad thread! I love salads!!!!!!!!

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:27 pm

Pixie wrote:We could start a salad thread! I love salads!!!!!!!!
Me too!!!!!! And that reminds me, I need to post my Ceasar Salad in the Christmas venue. And, I can post the version with chicken in here for iamlook.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:40 pm

Ooooooh, is your Caesar Salad recipe a traditional one with coddled egg!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only Caesar Salad in my opinion but I don't have a recipe!!!!!!!!!

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:32 pm

Pixie wrote:Ooooooh, is your Caesar Salad recipe a traditional one with coddled egg!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only Caesar Salad in my opinion but I don't have a recipe!!!!!!!!!
Caesar Salad

Prepare Ahead
** 2 Cups Salad Croutons. If making your own, make them ahead and refrigerate. If Store bought, use Garlic or Parmesan Croutons.
** Boil 1 Egg, large, to hard cooked. Remove & reserve Yolk. Can reserve Egg to use fresh Egg Yolk (Optional)
** 2 heads Romaine lettuce, rough outer leaves removed. Separate heart leaves, wash, dry and place between a towel or thick paper towels and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
** Rub a large Salad Bowl well on inside with 2 or 3 split Garlic Cloves. Discard garlic.
Dressing
3 Garlic Cloves
3 TBS Lemon Juice
3 Anchovy Fillets (optional) You won’t taste raw Anchovy in the dressing
3 TBS Olive Oil
1 TBS Dijon Mustard
½ Tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 Egg Yolk (or use hard cooked egg yolk, previous)
** Blend till smooth in a processor or blender, cover and chill (up to 1 day) I do this by hand
Prepare Salad
¼ Cup Parmesan Cheese, fresh, grated. Can also use parmesan curls.
Fresh ground pepper
** Tear Romaine into salad pieces (about 10 Cups)
** Add Romaine and Croutons to the rubbed Salad Bowl.
** Pour in Dressing and toss lightly to coat.
** Sprinkle with the Parmesan Cheese, toss gently.
** Grate pepper over salad when presented in individual serving plates.

NOTE: With this salad I always make more dressing than I need. I also mix the Parmesan Cheese in with the Salad Dressing, making everything in advance.
I also always make my own Garlic Croutons and freeze them in Coffee Cans days in advance. I do use a raw egg yolk but some are squeamish so use the cooked egg yolk or substitute a few TBS of Mayo.

Add 2 Cups of Cubed Chicken Breast to this (Grilled or Broiled or Poached) and it’s a dinner with a plate of French Bread, maybe a small cup of soup of choice.

jimbob
Christian Soldier

Post by jimbob » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:37 am

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Deboning-a- ... etail.aspx

You'll save money if you buy regular chicken breasts and prepare them yourself.
It's easy,
:)

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:19 pm

iamlookingup wrote:
jimbob wrote:http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Deboning-a- ... etail.aspx

You'll save money if you buy regular chicken breasts and prepare them yourself.
It's easy,
:)
I usually do that, but sometimes my time is so limited that if I forget to thaw the chicken, I'm doomed. :doh:
Just buy what's easiest for you, most people do. I buy 5 or 6 chickens when they're 59 cents a pound, and when I have the time I roast some, split and broil some, poach some and strip the meat, then I freeze a lot of it. Make Stock from the carcases and freeze that. But that's me.

BTW, I opened a Salad Post and put some Salads in there for you, with chicken, if you're interested.

Justine

Post by Justine » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:59 pm

Many Caesar Salads call for a coddled egg, not a hard boiled egg:

To coddle egg: Coddling causes the yolk to become slightly thickened and warm. Bring a very fresh egg to room temperature by immersing it in warm water (otherwise it might crack when coddled). Place the egg in a small bowl or mug and pour boiling water around the egg until it is covered. Let stand for exactly 1 minute. Immediately run cold water into the bowl until the egg can be easily handled; set aside

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Salad/CaesarSalad.htm

or

Coddle egg by heating 3 cups of water to boiling. Drop in egg (still in shell) and let stand for 1 minute. Remove egg from water and let cool.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Caesar-Salad-I/Detail.aspx

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:41 pm

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :brassband: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Justine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello!!!!!!!!! It's been so long since I've seen you!!!!!!!!!! Happy Saturday!!!!!!!!!!

You are my hero!!!!!!!!! Your first recipe is exactly what I've been looking for and couldn't find a recipe for a CLASSIC Caesar Salad!!!!!!!!!!! My all-time favor salad in the world and I couldn't find a recipe for the original.

The only thing missing is she didn't mention a wooden bowl that you never use for anything else and that you rub the garlic into the bowl to start the recipe... but, as you can see... I know that step!!!!!!!! :lolh:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:03 pm

Sorry...wrong!
Pure Caesar Salad is always with 'raw egg yolk'.
And you always rub the salad bowl with garlic, as in the recipe.
The other methods are for those who are squeamish........