Frittata Recipes

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Frittata Recipes

Post by abbi » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:29 am

Does anyone have a good Frittata recipe? There will only be five of us working the day after Christmas so I'm going to bring one in for my friends at work.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Frittata Recipes

Post by Pixie » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:51 am

Abbi, I have a couple of Frittata recipes but I don't seem to have them typed up... I'll see if I can fix that!!!!!! :lolh:

Anyway, I love egg strata's and they are as convenient as a Frittata!!!!!! So, I'll post these and you can see what you think!!!!!!!!! :wave:

Cheddar, Vegetable, and Sausage Strata

Makes 12 generous servings.
18 1-inch-thick slices French bread (each about 3x5 inches)
10 large eggs
2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups half and half
4 cups (packed) grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 16 ounces or two 8 oz. packages of pre-grated)
2 red bell peppers, chopped (green is fine if you can’t find red, I like red for Christmas! Or one of each!)
30 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 LB. Italian sausage (hot or sweet, your favorite), remove from the casing and crumbled
1 large onion, chopped
Parsley, fresh chopped

Butter two 13x9x2-inch glass baking dishes. Fit bread slices in prepared dishes. Cut remaining bread slices into 1-inch cubes; fit cubes into any empty spaces. Whisk eggs, mustard, basil and salt in medium bowl to blend; whisk in half and half. Ladle custard over bread. Cover; chill at least 2 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Sprinkle mixture in dish with black pepper. Top each baking dish with a quarter of the cheese, then bell pepper, tomatoes, sausage, onion and remaining cheese. Cover loosely with foil. Bake 20 minutes. Remove foil. Bake until strata is set and springy to touch, about 20 minutes longer. Cool 5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve hot, warm, or room temperature.

The recipe can be halved or doubled and you can use whatever vegetables are your favorite, you don’t have to use peppers and/or tomatoes!

To make this even easier you can assemble this dish the day before as long as you give the bread two hours to soak in the custard mixture before final assembly.

I almost forgot! You don’t have to use sausage if that’s not your favorite breakfast meat! You can use ham or bacon in the recipe you would use the same amount 1 lb and you would dice the ham or bacon!

As a side, to complete the breakfast, I dice several Idaho potatoes and in a bowl I toss with just enough olive oil to coat add plenty of salt and pepper and then spread the potatoes on a baking sheet leveling to get one layer and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden and crispy and serve with the strata! You can add onion and/or bell pepper (chopped) to the mix and bake for the full 25-30 minutes and then for the last 5 minutes of baking you can top with some Parmesan cheese! These potatoes are really yummy!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:53 am

lemon-raspberry french toast strata
Epicurious

This lightly sweet, tangy bread pudding is a snap to assemble. Feel free to use any kind of white bread you like — presliced sandwich bread (cut into 1-inch pieces) will give a smoother texture, while cubes of French or Italian bread with their crusts will make the pudding chunkier.

Prep: 10 minutes
Baking: 45 minutes
Servings: Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Ingredients
1/2 cup pure maple syrup, plus additional for serving
6 cups 1-inch cubes day-old country-style white bread with crusts (about 12 ounces or 3/4 loaf)
1 pint fresh raspberries
6 large eggs
4 cups whole milk
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preparation
Arrange rack in center of the oven and preheat to 350°F.

Lightly butter 9- by 13-inch glass baking dish or 14-inch oval gratin dish. Pour in maple syrup; scatter bread cubes and raspberries in dish.

In large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, lemon zest, and salt; pour over bread cubes.

Bake strata until puffed and golden brown, about 45 minutes. Transfer to rack to cool 5 minutes, then serve warm with additional maple syrup.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:32 pm

Here's a couple, one is Italian, one is more Vegetable with leeks and asparagus. You can count on your right hand the Frittatas I've made. A Quiche is more my taste.

Italian Frittata
Ingredients
4 links of Italian or Chicken Apple Sausage
2 TBS Olive Oil
4 Garlic Cloves, minced
12 Eggs,
1 Cup Milk, whole
1 Cup Spinach, fresh, chopped
Ground pepper to taste, salt to taste
Directions
** Heat Olive Oil in a deep fry pan on medium.
** Cut Sausage into bite-size pieces and cook until brown
** Add garlic & cook for 3 minutes
** Beat Eggs & Milk together in a Bowl. Add to the Fry Pan with the Spinach and S & P to taste.

Leek and Asparagus Frittata
Ingredients
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
1 cup chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only)
1 12-ounce bunch thin asparagus, trimmed, cut on diagonal into 1-inch pieces (about 2 1/2 cups)
1 cup sliced stemmed shiitake mushrooms
8 large omega-3 eggs
1 cup diced Fontina cheese, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Preparation
Preheat broiler.
** Melt butter in heavy broiler-proof 10-inch-diameter nonstick skillet over medium heat.
** Add leeks and sauté 4 minutes. Add asparagus and shiitake mushrooms, sprinkle lightly with salt, and sauté until tender, about 6 minutes.
** Whisk Eggs, 3/4 cup Fontina cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in medium bowl. Add egg mixture to skillet; fold gently to combine. Cook until almost set.
** Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup Fontina cheese and Parmesan cheese over.
** Broil until Frittata is puffed and cheese begins to turn golden, about 3 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:55 pm

Ooooh, I like the Leek and Asparagus Frittata!!!!!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Johnny 99
Formerly known as "kad"
Location: I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Post by Johnny 99 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:16 pm

Pixie wrote:Ooooh, I like the Leek and Asparagus Frittata!!!!!!!!

Pixie. Really.

LEEK AND ASPARAGUS?

Are you getting batty from the Michigan winter already?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Johnny 99
Formerly known as "kad"
Location: I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Post by Johnny 99 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:17 pm

Hey!

Maybe IALU can give you the recipe for her Grits Fritatta.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:21 pm

Kad wrote:
Pixie wrote:Ooooh, I like the Leek and Asparagus Frittata!!!!!!!!

Pixie. Really.

LEEK AND ASPARAGUS?

Are you getting batty from the Michigan winter already?

:lolh: Smart Alec! :lolh:

I can't believe how cold it's been already! :angry:

Leeks and asparagus are both good vegetables!!!!!!!! As is IALU's grits casserole! I've made it twice!!!!!!!!!! :yes: :yes:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:57 pm

Grits?????
Is that like Polenta? :teehee:

And I accasionally think of what the weather must be like up in Michigan this time of year. My winter is just starting, leaves changing color now, and the very last (I'm sure) Hummingbird showed up at my feeder a few days ago, heading south to likely the Columbia rain forests. That's where I should be headed. I actually had to put on a sweater the other day.

Leeks and shallots I adore. There's a simple dish by Paul Bocuse, Leeks Au Gratin. Great with Pork and Beef.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:29 pm

:) :) :) :) Yes, if you like polenta you'll like grits its the same thing!

:wave: :wave: :wave:

Martha

Post by Martha » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:06 pm

As a side, to complete the breakfast, I dice several Idaho potatoes and in a bowl I toss with just enough olive oil to coat add plenty of salt and pepper and then spread the potatoes on a baking sheet leveling to get one layer and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden and crispy and serve with the strata! You can add onion and/or bell pepper (chopped) to the mix and bake for the full 25-30 minutes and then for the last 5 minutes of baking you can top with some Parmesan cheese! These potatoes are really yummy!
I like the sound of this. I'll try it tonight. Thanks Pixie.
You didn't give me an oven temp, so I'll use 350.
Last edited by Martha on Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Martha

Post by Martha » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:27 pm

Falvegas, both those recipes sound fabulous. I hope your family appreciates you!

Martha

Post by Martha » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:35 pm

Martha wrote:
I like the sound of this. I'll try it tonight. Thanks Pixie.
You didn't give me an oven temp, so I'll use 350.
Well, it's been about 30 min. and they aren't browning much. Maybe I didn't dice them small enough. I did it by hand about 1/2 inch - is that too big?

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:57 pm

Martha wrote:Falvegas, both those recipes sound fabulous. I hope your family appreciates you!
I don't have a clue who appreciates me. I know they keep showing up, and they're always happy but how do I know they're not using me...how does anybody?

Martha

Post by Martha » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:12 pm

falvegas wrote:
Martha wrote:Falvegas, both those recipes sound fabulous. I hope your family appreciates you!
I don't have a clue who appreciates me. I know they keep showing up, and they're always happy but how do I know they're not using me...how does anybody?
You've spoiled them, don't let them take you for granted. I think it's wonderful that you enjoy cooking. I lucked out because my husband only eats one meal a day, so I'm spoled too! :)

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:08 am

Martha wrote:
falvegas wrote:
You've spoiled them, don't let them take you for granted. I think it's wonderful that you enjoy cooking. I lucked out because my husband only eats one meal a day, so I'm spoled too! :)
And what ever happened to abbi?

What I really meant is that we in our family don't really think about appreciation that much, we all just always appreciated each other, even though now many of us are separated by long distances.

Cooking to me is like breathing, to all of us in the family. There was no what's mom making for diner? There were 8 of us, six kids, and we were all involved in everything, cooking and the chores. So it was poetry in motion, and a lot of laughter and jousting with each other, still is, never confusing motion for accomplishment. Most important is enjoying each other and what better way than to sit down together to wonderful meals. Whether it's toasted cheese sans or an elegant quail dinner and decadent desert, all is worth having fun with.

We're all at the head of the table, regardless which house. Actually the eldest is always at the head of the table :wave:

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:28 am

Martha wrote:
Well, it's been about 30 min. and they aren't browning much. Maybe I didn't dice them small enough. I did it by hand about 1/2 inch - is that too big?
Maybe 350 wasn't high enough to brown. :dunno:

Martha

Post by Martha » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:00 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Martha wrote:
I did crank it up to 375 and they turned out great!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:10 pm

Martha wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Martha wrote:
I did crank it up to 375 and they turned out great!
Martha, I'm so sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I've been sick the last couple of days so I've been going to bed as soon as I get home from work and I didn't see this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The temp is 400!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But, obviously 375 worked welll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm really glad you enjoyed them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:11 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Martha wrote:
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: CY1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for helping her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was in bed asleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :doh:

Martha

Post by Martha » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:28 pm

No biggie, I hope you are feeling better sweetie!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:46 pm

Martha wrote:No biggie, I hope you are feeling better sweetie!
:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am feeling a bit better but I plan to go home to bed again today!!!!!!!!! I have to be well to teach my 2nd grade Sunday School Class on Sunday morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't miss that!!!!!!!!

Teaching those kids is the highlight of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: I love those kids more than anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:06 pm

Pixie wrote:

I am feeling a bit better but I plan to go home to bed again today!!!!!!!!! I have to be well to teach my 2nd grade Sunday School Class on Sunday morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't miss that!!!!!!!!

Teaching those kids is the highlight of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: I love those kids more than anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope you feel better too Pixie, and I bet those kids love you too.

BTW, I don't exactly know what a frittata is. Anybody have a pic?

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:08 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Pixie wrote:

:wave: :wave: Thank you!!!!!!!!!! I certainly love them!!!!!!!!!!!!

CY1!!!!!!!!!! I'll find a picture for you!!!!!!!!! It's an open face omelette!!!!!!! Oh, actually with that said I know right where to go to get you a picture!!!!!!!!!!

:cheer:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:15 pm

Here is a frittata pan (it's not necessary but fun) I don't own one.

Here is a picture of a frittata. I'm sorry it's so small!

:wave: :wave: :wave:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:45 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Pixie wrote:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:47 pm

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'm laughing at my picture compared to yours!!!!!!!

NOW That's a picture of a Frittata!!!!!!!!!!!

:highfive: :highfive: :highfive:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:13 pm

Pixie wrote::laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'm laughing at my picture compared to yours!!!!!!!

NOW That's a picture of a Frittata!!!!!!!!!!!

:highfive: :highfive: :highfive:
No it's not one that I made, and I place my Wok over my skillet if the covers are used up.
You take care of yourself now, hear. If you end up housebound, we'll be seeing pictures of an 8 foot gingerbread house.......

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:20 pm

:lolh: :embarrassed: :lolh: Yes! It's true!!!!!!! I'll have to bake or go stir crazy!!!!!!!!!!! :lolh: :wave:

Oh, do you have a round bottomed Wok or a flat bottomed Wok????? I want a round bottom and all I can find are flat bottom!!!!!!

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:02 pm

Pixie wrote::lolh: :embarrassed: :lolh: Yes! It's true!!!!!!! I'll have to bake or go stir crazy!!!!!!!!!!! :lolh: :wave:

Oh, do you have a round bottomed Wok or a flat bottomed Wok????? I want a round bottom and all I can find are flat bottom!!!!!!
One of each. Bought the true Wok in chinatown, half the price of the department stores.
Well lunch is over, have to go back to Wok.