Christmas Dinners

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by Pixie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:53 am

You know, I'm already thinking!!!!!!!!!! A shrimp or lobster mousse!!!!!!!!!! That would be excellent!!!!!! A vegetable mousse!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I'll start looking!!!!!!!!

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:56 am

STORING UNFILLED PUFFS:

Refrigerator: If thoroughly baked, unfilled cream puffs may be refrigerated for a couple of days, but it does stale quickly, so I recommend freezing, instead. Before refrigerating, you'll first want to cut them open and remove the strands of dough to prevent sogginess. Wrap all puffs individually after they have cooled and before freezing. Place them is a resealable plastic bag being careful not to put too many in at once.

Freezer: If you have more dough than you need or want to make them in advance, bake all of it and freeze the finished puffs for up to 3 months (best at one month) and an airtight container and keep away from freezer odors. There's no need to cut cream puffs open or remove the strands of dough before freezing. Thaw at room temperature. To crisp, unwrap and place in a 325 degree F oven until warm. Let cool and fill as desired.

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:49 pm

Pixie wrote:Pâte à choux Recipe
Yields 3 cups.
Makes enough pastry for 10 to 15 éclair shells or 15 to 20 cream-puff shells
Nobody ever believes me when I tell them that cream puffs are as easy to make as a packaged cake mix. But they are, right Pixie?
Last edited by ConsrvYank1 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:05 pm

I've made Gougeres often. They're simply pâte à choux with Gruyere Cheese blended in. Another recipe (by Hubert Keller) lays some Gruyere on top of the pâte à choux and serves them with a fresh Tomato Sauce. When I find that one I'll post it.

Gougeres (Gruyere Cheese Puffs)

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup cold water (250 mL)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces (125 mL)
1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
1 cup all-purpose flour (250 mL)
4 x to 5 large eggs
1/2 cup coarsely grated Gruyere cheese (375 mL)
DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
** pâte à choux: In a heavy saucepan bring water to a boil with butter and salt over high heat and reduce heat to moderate. Add flour all at once and beat with a wooden spoon until mixture pulls away from side of pan. Cook mixture over medium heat to dry out the paste. As it cooks, push the paste from side to side with the wooden spoon (It begins to leave a thin film on the bottom of the saucepan). Transfer to a bowl. With an electric mixer on medium speed, release some of the steam, and continue to mix. Slowly add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Batter should be stiff enough to just hold soft peaks and fall softly from a spoon. If batter is too stiff, in a small bowl beat remaining egg lightly and add to batter, a little at a time, beating on high speed, until batter is desired consistency.
** Stir Gruyère into pâte à choux.
** Lightly grease 2 baking sheets or line with parchment paper. Drop level tablespoons of batter onto prepared sheets about 1 inch apart on baking sheets.
** Bake in upper and lower thirds of oven, switching positions of sheets halfway through baking, 30 minutes, or until puffed, golden and crisp.
Note: Gougères keep chilled in zip-top plastic bags for 2 days or frozen 1 week. Reheat gougères, uncovered, in a preheated 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) oven 10 minutes if chilled or 15 minutes if frozen.
Serve warm.
Last edited by falvegas on Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:09 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Yields 3 cups.
Nobody ever believes me when I tell them that cream puffs are as easy to make as a packaged cake mix. But that are, right Pixie?
You're right!!!!!!!! They are so simple!!!!!!!!!!! And the recipe really has few ingredients!!!!!!!!!! And, they are so good and make such an elegant presentation!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:14 pm

falvegas wrote:Gougeres (Gruyere Cheese Puffs)
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup cold water (250 mL)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces (125 mL)
1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
1 cup all-purpose flour (250 mL)
4 x to 5 large eggs
1/2 cup coarsely grated Gruyere cheese (375 mL)
DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
** pâte à choux: In a heavy saucepan bring water to a boil with butter and salt over high heat and reduce heat to moderate. Add flour all at once and beat with a wooden spoon until mixture pulls away from side of pan. Cook mixture over medium heat to dry out the paste. As it cooks, push the paste from side to side with the wooden spoon (It begins to leave a thin film on the bottom of the saucepan). Transfer to a bowl. With an electric mixer on medium speed, release some of the steam, and continue to mix. Slowly add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Batter should be stiff enough to just hold soft peaks and fall softly from a spoon. If batter is too stiff, in a small bowl beat remaining egg lightly and add to batter, a little at a time, beating on high speed, until batter is desired consistency.
** Stir Gruyère into pâte à choux.
** Lightly grease 2 baking sheets or line with parchment paper. Drop level tablespoons of batter onto prepared sheets about 1 inch apart on baking sheets.
** Bake in upper and lower thirds of oven, switching positions of sheets halfway through baking, 30 minutes, or until puffed, golden and crisp.
Note: Gougères keep chilled in zip-top plastic bags for 2 days or frozen 1 week. Reheat gougères, uncovered, in a preheated 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) oven 10 minutes if chilled or 15 minutes if frozen.
Serve warm.
Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was trying to find this recipe for you and I couldn't find one!!!!!!!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:05 pm

Fillings for savory pâte à choux
These are the only two I’ve used so if you have any laying around I’d appreciate hearing about them.

Mushrooms, Cream and Sherry Mix
1 Cup Mushrooms (of choice), chopped very coarse
1 ½ TBS Walnut Oil or oil of choice
3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
¼ Cup Sherry
1 Sprig Thyme, fresh, chopped
S & P to taste
* Sauté Mushrooms Cream and Sherry until reduced and mushrooms are done.
* Stir in Thyme S & P and cook until tastes are integrated.
* Fill in finished pâte à choux’s that have been sliced horizontally in the center but not all the way through.

Smoked Salmon & Cream Cheese with Chive
1 part Smoked Salmon (diced small)
2 to 3 parts Cream Cheese
Chives, chopped (to taste)
* Bend all together and fill in finished pâte à choux’s that have been sliced horizontally in the center but not all the way through.

I probably won't consider the salmon filling because I have a Salmon Spread I'm using with the Bruschetta for Christmas brunch. I might consider setting them out Christmas Eve.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:12 pm

I applaud you, Sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These sound fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:14 pm

Pixie wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Yields 3 cups.
Nobody ever believes me when I tell them that cream puffs are as easy to make as a packaged cake mix. But that are, right Pixie?
You're right!!!!!!!! They are so simple!!!!!!!!!!! And the recipe really has few ingredients!!!!!!!!!! And, they are so good and make such an elegant presentation!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:
For those who love to Bake, I have a recipe pâte à choux with Cream and Hazelnut Praline . It's pâte à choux baked in a 9 inch Concentric Ring, cut horizontally and filled with the Praline and Pastry Cream. I haven't done it but my sister has. It's pretty incolved. Let me know if you want the recipe, I must have it somewhere.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:27 pm

Pixie wrote:I applaud you, Sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These sound fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:
Sir is it now, Lass.
Well I haven't been Knighted yet..........But I plan to be.
I mean, face it pixie, If you and I get to Cater for the Queen with our 'Squab Under Glass with Chipotle', you'll be Lady Pixie.
hey...could happen.

I'm working at home today, heavy technical report to write, and the office is a zoo. 3 phone calls already. How I hate the phone.

later

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:09 pm

falvegas wrote:
Pixie wrote:I applaud you, Sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These sound fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:
Sir is it now, Lass.
Well I haven't been Knighted yet..........But I plan to be.
I mean, face it pixie, If you and I get to Cater for the Queen with our 'Squab Under Glass with Chipotle', you'll be Lady Pixie.
hey...could happen.

I'm working at home today, heavy technical report to write, and the office is a zoo. 3 phone calls already. How I hate the phone.

later
Oh, how I'd love to cater a dinner for the Queen or a President... not Obama!!!!!!!!! I would have loved to cater a dinner for President and Mrs. Bush! I'll bet they are very gracious people!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, yeah I'd love to be Lady Pixie!!!!!!!!!! :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Oh, I'm glad you're getting some peace and quiet!!!!!!!!! If I can make it through today I'll be done with the Board until February!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Things are always in such turmoil when they are here for meetings!

:wave: :wave:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:58 pm

I know everyone must have a book or folder with the 'Basic Sauces' in them (the very basic ones). I have some of the simple sauces by Paul Bocuse. If anyone is interested in any of his, I'll post it.

They are:
** Mayonnaise
** Garlic Mayonnaise (ailloli )
** Foamy Butter Sauce (Beurre Blanc)
** Mustard Sauce ( Sauce Moutarde)
** Hollandaise Sauce
** Tomato Sauce (Sauce Tomate)
** Green Sauce (Sauce verte aux herbes)
** Gribiche Sauce (Sauce gribiche)
** Bearnaise Sauce (bearnaise)
** White Sauce (Sauce blanche)
** Anchovy Paste ( Anchoyade)
** Oil & Vinegar Dressing ( Vinaigrette)

Time for lunch. Senate Bean Soup with Toasted Cheese on dark bread. I like having lunch at home, so quick, no hassle.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:54 am

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Yields 3 cups.
Well, ConsrvYank1, we looked forward to your recipe in here. We like how you think about food, and your wonderful exposure to the real Italian foods.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:59 am

falvegas wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Yields 3 cups.
Well, ConsrvYank1, we looked forward to your recipe in here. We like how you think about food, and your wonderful exposure to the real Italian foods.
This is true!!!!!!!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:04 am

falvegas wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Yields 3 cups.
Unfortunately my grandmother died when I was 13, so I don't have any of her recipes (although I doubt she used them at all). And my mother was never a great cook. My sister used to say eating at my mother's was like eating at Howard Johnson's, everything tasted the same. :lol:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:33 am

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
falvegas wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Yields 3 cups.
Unfortunately my grandmother died when I was 13, so I don't have any of her recipes (although I doubt she used them at all). And my mother was never a great cook. My sister used to say eating at my mother's was like eating at Howard Johnson's, everything tasted the same. :lol:
I Know the feeling. Lost my grandmother when I was 16 but got to spend a few years in the kitchen with her helping her do things that were getting difficult for her. I remembered quite a bit but so much of what she did was lost. The Stroganoff recipe I posted was hers, what I could recall from memory. I should post her Chicken Kiev, and her Stuffed Cabbage.

Was the gnocchi, and bagna cauda recipe of any use to you?

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:43 pm

falvegas wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
falvegas wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Yields 3 cups.
I Know the feeling. Lost my grandmother when I was 16 but got to spend a few years in the kitchen with her helping her do things that were getting difficult for her. I remembered quite a bit but so much of what she did was lost. The Stroganoff recipe I posted was hers, what I could recall from memory. I should post her Chicken Kiev, and her Stuffed Cabbage.

I LOVE Bagna Cauda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's as good as any Fondue, in my opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's garlicky and it's rich!!!!!!!!!!!!! What more could you ask for????????

:wave: Falvegas! :wave: CY1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:34 pm

falvegas wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
falvegas wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Yields 3 cups.

I just really don't have the desire to do much cooking anymore. After 50 years, I am tired of it, and nobody in my family would ever eat the bagna cauda. I am sorry you went through the trouble to post the recipes. I was just remembering what it was like at my grandmother's house.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:23 pm

I Know, after 8 days of Thanksgiving stuff we decided to minimize our time in the Kitchen on Christmas. I also get burned out at times but cooking is mostly second nature to me, relaxing.

I was going over some old papers of my Grandmothers last night, looking for a recipe for a soup she made with diced potatoes, little pickles, and sausage...just couldn't find it, and my sisters don't have it either. It's an 'Old World' recipe, and I can't find it anywhere. I may just have to do what I can from memory, go into a deep meditation, transport myself back in time and visualize.

I did find this cookie recipe that used Ammonia, must be a Bakers Ammonia, but I'm still trying to decypher her scribblings, not all in English....ammnak was as close as I could tranaslate. Анис means there's Anise in them.

I shouild be able to use any leavening agent but it has to be translated by amount.

Maybe pixie knows something about using ammonia.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:31 pm

The only thing I know about baking ammonia is that it has an aluminum odor when you're using it but it dissipates once the cookies are baked.

Also, I know that you can substitute baking powder for baking ammonia but I don't know if you can/can't substitute baking soda????

I've never used it and I've never seen a recipe that calls for it. :noparty:

:wave: :wave: :wave:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:55 pm

Pixie wrote:The only thing I know about baking ammonia is that it has an aluminum odor when you're using it but it dissipates once the cookies are baked.

Also, I know that you can substitute baking powder for baking ammonia but I don't know if you can/can't substitute baking soda????

Thanks. Ya, just use today's leavening stuff and not give it a second thought. There's a zillion cookie recipes out there (right pixie). I can add some Anise to a known recipe if ever I make them.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:33 am

10 minute First Course you can do at the table, wow them, even set the place on fire......if you like

Shrimp Baratin (Craig Claiborne, NY Times International Cookbook, 1971)

1/4 Cup Butter, unsalted
2 or 3 Doxen medium Raw Shrimp or 18 Jumbo Shrimp. shelled, deveined
Sea Salt
3 to 4 TBS Shallots, finely minced
Pepper Mill
1 TBS lemon Juice
3 to 3 TBS Cognac, warmed
Chafing Dish

** Melt Butter in Chafing Dish, When hot, add the Shrimp in one layer.
** Sprinkle with Salt and cook Shrimp until Pink on one side
** Turn Shrimp and cook the other side (~4 minutes)
** Sprinkle Shrimp with Shallots, Pepper, and Lemon Juice, Stirring. 1 or 2 more minutes.
** Sprinkle with Warm Cognac and Ignite
** Spoon sauce over and over the Shrimp as the falme burns
Serve immediately on warm plates as a first course

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:13 am

falvegas wrote:
Pixie wrote:The only thing I know about baking ammonia is that it has an aluminum odor when you're using it but it dissipates once the cookies are baked.

Thanks. Ya, just use today's leavening stuff and not give it a second thought. There's a zillion cookie recipes out there (right pixie). I can add some Anise to a known recipe if ever I make them.
That's true! Add Anise to a good butter cookie and it's be perfect! But, it won't be your grandmother's! So, I understand you wanting to decipher that recipe even if it's only to preserve that recipe!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:59 am

Pixie wrote:
falvegas wrote:

That's true! Add Anise to a good butter cookie and it's be perfect! But, it won't be your grandmother's! So, I understand you wanting to decipher that recipe even if it's only to preserve that recipe!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)
I want to create a cookbook from both grandmothers. With my Mother's mother, the problem isn't translation but reading her mostly scribbled notes. She'd write a set of basic ingredients without quantities, glance at it then go and make it.

I'll take a few years and work at it, and I need to get some stuff from my sisters, asked them to round the stuff up so I can make a loose leaf.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:00 pm

falvegas wrote:
Pixie wrote:
falvegas wrote:

I want to create a cookbook from both grandmothers. With my Mother's mother, the problem isn't translation but reading her mostly scribbled notes. She'd write a set of basic ingredients without quantities, glance at it then go and make it.

I'll take a few years and work at it, and I need to get some stuff from my sisters, asked them to round the stuff up so I can make a loose leaf.
I really think you should do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It would be the greatest gift you could give your family, ever!!!!!! That is to include those that are here, those that are to come, and those that have passed!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:04 pm

Roast Christmas Goose
Serves 6

Having the holiday celebration at your house this year? Here's the perfect recipe to share with your friends and family. Serve with an abundance of wine (or non-alcoholic sparkling apple cider), good cheer and great conversation.

INGREDIENTS
1 whole goose (8 to 10 pounds)
1 pound yellow onions, unpeeled
2 tablespoons minced garlic
Extra Virgin Organic Olive Oil for sautéing (optional)
4 cups dry breadcrumbs
3/4 cup Milk, heated to lukewarm
4 cups mixed dried fruits such as apples, pears, figs, apricots or cherries
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
3/4 cup chopped Walnuts or Hazelnuts (optional)
1/2 cup diced celery (optional)
1 pound sweet Italian sausage, diced, sautéed, and drained (optional)
1/4 cup Calvados dry apple brandy (optional)
Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Place unpeeled onions in a shallow pan and roast until tender, about 30 minutes. Cool, peel, and chop, then set aside. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees F.

In a small skillet, sauté garlic in a small amount of the olive oil until soft but not browned and set aside. Soak breadcrumbs in milk until soft, and then squeeze dry and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, combine bread, onions, reserved garlic, dried fruits, and parsley. If desired, add nuts, celery, and/or sausage. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stuff the goose with the mixture, and tie the cavity closed with butcher’s twine. Place on a rack in a roasting pan.

Roast goose in preheated oven until juices run clear when thigh is pricked with a fork, about 3 hours or until a thermometer reaches 165 degrees F to 175 degrees F. Remove goose from the pan and skim off fat from pan juices. Deglaze pan with a little Calvados, if desired, and pour over the goose.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I don't like this recipe as much as those you've posted but it's a good easy recipe!!!!!!!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:11 pm

Guinea Hen Roasted with Pistachio Butter
Source: The American Restaurant in Kansas City, Missouri
Active Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 3 Hours 15 Minutes Serves 8

Game Birds like wild turkey, quail, or pheasant were tradtional Thanksgiving fare on the prairie. Moist and tender guinea fowl, the "watch chickens" of the Midwestern farmyard, might persuade you to put squawk instead of gobble in your holiday menu.

INGREDIENTS

For the Pistachio Butter:
1/3 cup shelled pistachios
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 shallot, peeled and finely chopped (2 tablespoons)
2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon snipped fresh savory
Pepper to taste

For the Guinea Hens:
2 guinea hens, about 2 1/2 pounds each OR 3 or 4 1-1 1/2 pound(s) Cornish game hens
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup finely diced onion
1/2 cup finely diced carrot
1/2 cup finely diced celery
1/4 cup chicken stock or broth

DIRECTIONS
TO MAKE PISTACHIO BUTTER: Arrange the pistachios in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake in a 350 degrees F. oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring once. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.

Place the toasted pistachios, butter, shallots, lemon juice, and savory in the bowl of a food processor. Process until the nuts are finely chopped. Season with pepper to taste; set aside.

TO PREPARE THE HENS: Carefully separate the skin from the breast and legs by easing your index finger between the skin and the meat of each hen. Spread 1/4 of the Pistachio Butter between the skin and the meat of each Guinea hen with your finger or a narrow rubber spatula. (Use about 2 tablespoons for each Cornish game hen.) Reserve the remaining Pistachip Butter for basting. Cover and chill the hens for 1 to 2 hours.

Sprinkle each body cavity with salt and pepper. In a bowl, combine the onion, carrot, and celery. Divide the mixture evenly among each body cavity. Tuck the ends of the drumstick under the band of skin across the tail. If band of skin is not present, tie the drumstick securely to the tail. Twist wing tips under the back. Place the hens on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the chicken stock or broth and the remaining Pistachio Butter. Cook and stir over low heat until butter is melted. Brush the hens with the Pistachio Butter-chicken stock mixture. Return the hens to the oven. Bake, uncovered, for 1 to 1 1/2 hours more for the Guinea hens (40 to 50 minutes more for Cornish Game hens) or until the thermometer registers 180 degrees F., or until drumsticks move easily in their sockets and juices run clear. Remove hens from ovens and cover with foil. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before carving.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I had to include this recipe because of the Pistachios! You can always put it away for later!

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:20 pm

Yummmm.....paint it with Pistachio and I'll follow it anywhere. Duck and Goose both go well with the flavor in Calvados, usually there's fresh apples in there somewhere.

From Paul Bocuse:
I have a Recipe for both Guinea Hen and Pheasant with Chestnuts. (Poule faisane, au faisan, ou pintadeau, aux marrons) I've made this with the pheasant.
Also: Squab with Green Peas & Bacon (Pigeons aux petits pois) I have not made this one.

There's an interesting Lamb recipe I'll post when I get a chance: Rack of Lamb with Chili Mint Sauce served on Shredded Sweet Potatoes

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:36 pm

Oh, that sounds wonderful!!!!!!!!! I am always looking for new Lamb recipes!!!!!!!

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:56 am

Ideas for Appetizers (hors d’oeuvres)

** Puff Pastry Appetisers (3 recipes following)
** pâte à choux with Savory and/or Cream fillings (recipes previous in here)
** Crackers with a variety of hand made and store bought Spreads
---And: Crackers with Cheese like Stilton with a drizzle of Honey
----------Crackers with Canned White Beans, Sun Dried Tomato
** Anti Pasto Appetizers like;
----Finger rolled Italian Cold Cuts and Provolone
----Bread Sticks with Prosciutto & Arugula rolled around the ends
----Kabobs of skewered Cherry Tomato, Baby Mozzarella Balls, Basil
** Chips or Crackers with Dips like; Spinach, Artichoke, Clam, Guacamole, etc.
** Corn Chips & Salsas like Salsa Fresca, Corn/Pumpkin Seed, Fruit Salsa, Queso, etc.
** Variety of Nuts; Roasted with Christmas Spices, Glazed w/ Chutney etc.
** Fruits like Strawberries or Pears with Chocolate or other Dips
---And: Assorted Cheeses & Fruits maybe with meat Cold Cuts
---------Cheese, Chocolate or other Fondue
** Standard Vegetable Platters with Herbed Dips

Prosciutto-Fontina Pinwheels (Melissa Rubel)
Puff Pastry methods
http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/tip ... stry-shell
Ingredients
One 14-ounce package all-butter puff pastry, thawed if frozen but still cold
3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
3/4 cup shredded Fontina cheese
Freshly ground pepper
1 egg beaten with 1 1/2 teaspoons of water
Directions
On a floured work surface, roll out the puff pastry to a 10 1/2-by-15-inch rectangle; halve lengthwise. Top the halves with the prosciutto and Fontina, leaving a 1/2-inch border along the far edge of each piece. Season with pepper. Starting at the near edge, tightly roll the halves of pastry into logs. Brush the borders with the egg wash and pinch to seal. Transfer the logs to a large baking sheet and freeze for 30 minutes until firm.
Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Working with 1 log at a time, trim the uneven ends. Cut the log crosswise 1/4 inch thick. Set the pinwheels 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. Freeze until firm. Preheat the oven to 375°. Bake the pinwheels for 20 minutes, until golden. Cut the remaining logs, then freeze and bake the pinwheels; serve.
Frozen sliced pinwheels can be placed in re-useable plastic bag & frozen up to 1 month.

Everything Twists (Melissa Rubel)
Ingredients
1 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
2 teaspoons caraway seeds
1 1/2 tablespoons dehydrated chopped onion
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 egg beaten with 1 1/2 teaspoons of water
Directions
In a bowl, mix the sesame, poppy, caraway, onion, salt and garlic powder.
Line 3 large baking sheets with parchment paper. On a floured surface, roll out the puff pastry into an 11-by-14-inch rectangle; cut in half lengthwise. Brush with the egg wash and sprinkle evenly with the seed mixture. Cut the pastry crosswise into 3/4-inch-thick strips. Twist the strips and transfer to the baking sheets, leaving 2 inches in between. Freeze until firm, 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 375°. Bake the twists for 22 minutes, until golden. Switch the pans top to bottom and back to front halfway through baking, until golden. Let stand until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a platter and serve.
Unbaked twists can be stored between layers of parchment and frozen for up to 1 month.

Fig-and-Stilton Squares (Melissa Rubel)
Ingredients
1/2 cup fig preserves
3/4 cup crumbled Stilton cheese (4 ounces)
Directions
On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the puff pastry to a 16-by-11 1/2-inch rectangle. Trim to form a 10 1/2-by-15-inch rectangle. Transfer the pastry to a large rimmed baking sheet and cut into 1 3/4-inch squares; you should have about 48. Freeze the squares until firm, about 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 375°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange 12 squares on the sheet and cover with more parchment paper. Top the squares with another baking sheet, bottom side down. If you have another pair of baking sheets, repeat with 12 more squares. Bake the squares for about 35 minutes, until the pastry is golden. Transfer the squares to a rack to cool. Repeat to bake the remaining squares.
Return as many cooled squares as will fit to a baking sheet. Top each square with 1/2 teaspoon of the fig preserves. Sprinkle with the Stilton and bake for about 5 minutes, until the Stilton is melted. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Unbaked frozen pastry squares can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 1 month.