Christmas Dinners

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
Fatherducque

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by Fatherducque » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:47 pm

Guess what we are having for Christmas dinner?

All the relatives. :shock:

Reality has just struck my wife:
Where are we are we doing to get all the chairs?
If they can't sit they won't stay as long :mrgreen: .

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:41 am

Fatherducque wrote:Guess what we are having for Christmas dinner?

All the relatives. :shock:

Reality has just struck my wife:
Where are we are we doing to get all the chairs?
If they can't sit they won't stay as long :mrgreen: .
You can always rent them from a funeral home, or perhaps a church. :mrgreen:

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:29 am

falvegas wrote:
Pixie wrote:Oh, you have hummingbirds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :stars: :stars: :stars:

Well, you couldn't have better company than that!!!!!!!!!! What are you listening to on your surround sound??????????
I knew you were going to ask that.
I have the football game on in the Kitchen. In the livingroom I have a DVD of Andrea Bocelli's concert, 'A Night In Tuscany' (With Sarah Brightman) I can see both of them, the game is muted.

That's over now I'm listening to Eric Clapton and Jamed Taylor. See how I am, now I'm dating myself.
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: I love Eric Clapton!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: I think we might be right around the same age???? We seem to know a lot of the same stuff.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:30 am

falvegas wrote:I almost forgot my Niece and her friend don't eat Meat. Since we're having Wine-Growers Beef for Dinner I'll have to add a Fish to the menu. They both like Oriental so I'm going to make them the following which only takes 30 minutes:

In keeping with Red and Green for the Christmas Cuisine:

Skillet cooked Salmon with Wasabi Mashed Potatoes and Spicy Cucumbers
I'll post the recipe if anyone is interested. It's really simple.

Aaaaah, this soundswonderful!!!!!!!!!!! I see the red and green theme!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pixie:

I love Wasabi! I'd really liked the recipe for the Spicy Cucumbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please!!!!!!!!!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:36 am

falvegas wrote:And yes, I'm am getting the spirit. I even started decorating today. One year I put up 3 Christmas trees. Just one this year, I'll be our of town.

But it is that time. It grows in me exponentially until a week before and I can hardly contain myself. This great big wonderful Christmas party for the greatest teacher the world has ever known, without whom our species would likely be extinct. And families come together, which they should, and we give uncontrollably to the children, which we should in keeping with the first birthday. It is just one wonderful party, the biggest...we'll make it fun, which we should. Just being together is the party. That is the Hyacinth for our soul.

And no, I haven't pulled out my Christmas music yet but I'm getting there, one step at a time. The music is all around me everwhere I go, and well it should be. Actually started a few days before Halloween.

So planning for the Christmas menu is fun, and it's almost done, within the next week. A tweek here and there, and the family on both ends of the country will be set into motion. I'm just not quite prepared for New England weather. I'll actually have to take out my parka and climbing boots.
Ooooh, thank you for this!!!!!!!!!! Reading this post made my heart glad!!!!!!!!!!!!! It IS the most wonderful time of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Image

Oh, yes, we had five inches of snow here, in Michigan, Friday night into Saturday!!!!!!!!!! You'll need your parka and your climbing boots!!!!!!!!!! Image

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:59 am

Pixie wrote:
falvegas wrote:I almost forgot my Niece and her friend don't eat Meat. Since we're having Wine-Growers Beef for Dinner I'll have to add a Fish to the menu. They both like Oriental so I'm going to make them the following which only takes 30 minutes:

In keeping with Red and Green for the Christmas Cuisine:

Skillet cooked Salmon with Wasabi Mashed Potatoes and Spicy Cucumbers
I'll post the recipe if anyone is interested. It's really simple.

Aaaaah, this soundswonderful!!!!!!!!!!! I see the red and green theme!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pixie:

I love Wasabi! I'd really liked the recipe for the Spicy Cucumbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please!!!!!!!!!

Love Eric, Wonderful Tonight, Knockin on Heavens Door, Cocaine, and of course, Tears in Heaven…his son Conor fell out a 50 Story Window, 1990 I think. Musician lives seem so disrupted, so nomadic…..

Anyway: The Salmon, Wasabi Mashed Potatoes, and Spicy Cucumber recipe is as follows.

Salmon: No big deal, Skillet cook a Salmon Filet to crisp the skin then turn and finish
Wasabi mashed Potatoes: No big deal: Mash skinned, diced and cooked red skin potatoes. Return to the pan and add Cream, Butter, and 1-Tsp Wasabi per pound of Potatoes. Beat until smooth.
Spicy Cucumber:
½ European Cucumber, sliced thin on the diagonal
½ Red Onion, thinly sliced
1 Long Red Chili, seeded, thinly sliced on the diagonal
½ Cup Rice Vinegar
2 Tsp Sugar.
1- Cup Mint leaves
Combine all ingredients except mint in a bowl, season with S & P, and set aside. When ready to serve:
Lay salmon on top of Wasabi Potatoes
Mix the Mint leaves into the Cucumbers, and garnish over the Fish
Serve Plate with thin Lime Slices.
Last edited by falvegas on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:50 am

I LOVE the Spicy Cucumber recipe!!!!!!!!!!! It sounds so refreshing with just the right amount of heat!!!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:08 am

I tried to put some variation in here for Christmas Dinner, that is w/o Turkey. But I didn't put one in here with Ham.
Should there be a Ham recipe in here in case there're those who prefer that?

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:09 am

falvegas wrote:I tried to put some variation in here for Christmas Dinner, that is w/o Turkey. But I didn't put one in here with Ham.
Should there be a Ham recipe in here in case there's those who prefer it?

Yes, I think so! I'll post what I have too!!!!!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:22 pm

Ham with Bourbon, Molasses, and Pecan Glaze
Ingredients
1/2 cup apple juice (preferably fresh unfiltered)
1/4 cup bourbon
1 3/4 cups (packed) dark brown sugar
1 cup pecans, toasted, cooled, finely ground
1/4 cup mild-flavored (light) molasses
3 tablespoons dry mustard
1 whole bone-in 16- to 18-pound ham (Choose a bone-in ham not a pre-formed ham or deli ham)
Tangerine Chutney (See Recipe)
Buttermilk Cornmeal Soufflé (See Recipe)

Preparation
* Boil juice and bourbon in small saucepan until reduced to scant 1/3 cup, about 6 minutes. Combine sugar, pecans, molasses, and mustard in bowl. Add bourbon mixture; stir to form thick paste. (Can make ahead, chill, bring to room temperature before using.)
* Preheat oven to 325°F, position rack in bottom third. Line a large roasting pan with heavy-duty foil, leaving overhang on all sides.
* Trim off skin and all but 1/4 inch fat from ham. Place ham, fat side up, in prepared pan. Roast ham until thermometer inserted into thickest part registers 130°F to 135°F, about 10 minutes per pound or 2 hours 40 minutes for 16-pound ham.
* Remove ham; and increase oven to 425°F.
* Lightly score fat on ham in diamond pattern. Rub glaze thickly over top and sides of ham. Return ham to oven and roast until glaze is deep brown and bubbling, about 25 minutes. Let ham stand at least 20 minutes and up to 45 minutes. Serve with chutney.

Tangerine Chutney
Ingredients
9 small seedless tangerines, unpeeled
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups red jalapeño pepper jelly
3/4 cup tangerine, orange, or lemon marmalade
Preparation
Finely grate 3 TBS tangerine peel. Cut all peel and white pith off tangerines. Cut between membranes, releasing segments into sieve. Place in refrigerator and let segments drain at least 2 hours or overnight. Stir vinegar, mustard, and salt in medium bowl until mustard dissolves. Mix in jelly, marmalade, and the grated tangerine peel. Cover and chill chutney base. Gently fold tangerine segments into chutney base and serve with Ham.

Buttermilk Cornmeal Soufflé

Ingredients
7 large eggs
1/2 cup whipping cream
4 cups water
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, diced
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups yellow cornmeal
Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°F.
* Generously butter a 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
* Whisk eggs and cream in large bowl.
* Bring 4 cups water, buttermilk, butter, salt, and pepper to boil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Gradually whisk in cornmeal. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until thick and smooth, whisking frequently, about 4 minutes.
* Gradually whisk hot cornmeal into egg mixture. Transfer batter to prepared dish. Bake uncovered until golden on top and gently set in center, about 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Serve warm directly from dish.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:56 pm

Oh, my gosh!!!!!!!!! Forget it!!!!!!! I'm not posting a ham recipe... there's no need!!!!!!!!! I'm copying all of this!!!!!!!!!!

WOW, does this sound good!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know we don't usually have a big ta-do on New Years Day... but this would be perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!

We always do lamb on Christmas!!!!!!!!!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:06 pm

Molasses Black Pepper Glazed Ham

1 (10 to 12-pound) fully-cooked, bone-in smoked ham
2 cups orange juice
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper

Place ham in shallow roasting pan; score a diamond pattern about 1/8-inch thick into the upper surface of the ham. Position rack in the lower third of the oven; heat to 325*F. Place ham in oven and bake until internal temperature, as measured with a meat thermometer, reads 130*F., about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan bring the orange juice to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer and reduce the orange juice by about half, stirring occasionally, about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in honey, molasses, brown sugar, mustard and pepper. Simmer slowly until thickened, about 25 to 30 minutes. Set aside.

When ham reaches 130*F., start basting: Using a pastry brush, brush the glaze generously on all surfaces of the ham. Continue to bake for 10 minutes; baste again two more times, until internal temperature of ham reaches 140*F. Remove from the oven and let the ham rest in roasting pan on a rack for at least 10 minutes, or up to 30 minutes. Baste with the drippings in the bottom of the pan a few times before carving.

Makes about 20 servings with leftovers.
=====================================
Okay, I'll post one but it pales in comparison!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:04 pm

Skewered Shrimp with Chile-Cilantro Rub
Serves: 4 appetizers

Marinade:
1 bunch cilantro, chopped coarsely
1 habanero chile, chopped
4 shallots, chopped
2 lemons, zested
2 limes, zested and juiced to 1/4 cup (juice more limes if necessary)
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 vegetable oil
16 jumbo shrimp, cleaned, deveined
8 sugarcane skewers
Marinade
1/4 bunch cilantro leaves, as garnish

Puree all marinade ingredients in a blender. Reserve 2 tablespoons of marinade.
Skewer two shrimp per sugarcane and place in marinade and refrigerate. After shrimp has marinated 2 to 3 hours, grill for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, making sure they are fully cooked.

Serve with a drizzle of the reserved marinade and cilantro, as garnish.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This sounds like a great appetizer or main course!!!!!!!!!!!! If not for Christmas Day, New Year's Day!!!!

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:30 pm

Pixie wrote:Skewered Shrimp with Chile-Cilantro Rub

Marinade:
4 shallots, chopped
2 lemons, zested
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 vegetable oil
8 sugarcane skewers
Marinade

Skewer two shrimp per sugarcane and place in marinade and refrigerate. After shrimp has marinated 2 to 3 hours, grill for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, making sure they are fully cooked.

This sounds like a great appetizer or main course!!!!!!!!!!!! If not for Christmas Day, New Year's Day!!!!
This sounds really good. Actually I like the ingredients compared to your garlic shrimp.
You do know that 2 to 3 hours with that much Lime Juice is approaching Seviche

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:34 pm

falvegas wrote:
Pixie wrote:Skewered Shrimp with Chile-Cilantro Rub

Marinade:
4 shallots, chopped
2 lemons, zested
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 vegetable oil
8 sugarcane skewers
Marinade

This sounds really good. Actually I like the ingredients compared to your garlic shrimp.
You do know that 2 to 3 hours with that much Lime Juice is approaching Seviche
Yes, that's why I posted it!!!!!!!! I find it to be a very interesting recipe! I like the ingredients too!!!!!!!! I'll stay with the garlic shrimp because it's me and my sister cooking and we're cooking for her church. So, I'll keep this one tucked away for a later time!!!!!!!

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:53 pm

iamlookingup wrote:I might actually be able to figure out how to follow that scampi recipe! :lol:

How much does a bottle of Vermouth cost? :dunno:
iamlookingup, I never really got back to you on this, sorry. I took the day off today, so let me answer you properly.

I can break my Shrimp Scampi recipe down to 3 Steps for you if you want.
Would there be a significant difference? To most probably not.

Technically: Shrimp cooks very quickly so the reason for the extra steps is to layer the flavors 'before' the shrimp is added. That is, infusing a Shrimp flavor into the cooking oil. Reducing the Vermouth & Lemon liquid separately to get rid of the alcohol and intensify their flavor.

You don't need to do all those steps, However...if you have any questions as to why something is done the way it is...ask us. I mean, that's why we're all in here. We're learning from each other, and getting some recipes we might never know about.

BTW: Vermouth is about half the price of a bottle of just fair wine.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:57 pm

On the Lighter Side.....

California Walnut Stuffed Salmon

Ingredients
2 teaspoons Olive Oil
1/4 cup minced Onion
1 clove Garlic, minced
4 cups chopped Spinach
1/2 teaspoon each Salt and Pepper
1 cup cooked Brown Rice
1/4 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
2 teaspoons Lemon Zest
1/2 cup chopped California Walnuts
1 pound Salmon Fillet, skinned and pin bones removed

** In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook until tender but not browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, spinach, salt and pepper and cook just until spinach starts to wilt, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
** Add cooked rice to spinach and stir in lemon zest until well combined.
Spread spinach mixture evenly over salmon and sprinkle with cheese and walnuts. Roll up gently using toothpicks or butcher’s twine to secure.
** Place salmon on a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet, and bake in 375°F (190°C) oven until fish is cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes.
** Transfer to a Cutting Board and let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
4 Servings.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:50 pm

Spitfire Shrimp
Serves: 6 to 8 servings for snacking

Seasoning:
1 lime, juiced
2 ounces (1/4 cup) hot cayenne pepper sauce
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon crab boil seasoning

Shrimp:
4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
2 shallots, chopped
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
2 pounds jumbo shrimp peeled and de-veined*
12 to 15 blades fresh chives, chopped, for garnish

*Ask for easy-peel raw deveined shrimp at seafood counter of market
Preheat large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.

Combine lime juice, hot sauce, cumin, red pepper flakes and seafood seasoning blend.

Quickly saute garlic and shallots in oil and butter for 1 minute, add shrimp and cook 3 minutes, tossing and turning frequently. Dump pink, firm, cooked shrimp from hot pan into hot seasoning blend and toss in seasoning mixture to coat shrimp evenly. Garnish with chopped chives. Serve warm or chilled.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Falvegas, I thought you might like this recipe!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap2: :wave: :clap2:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:19 pm

Pixie wrote:Spitfire Shrimp
Serves: 6 to 8 servings for snacking

Seasoning:
1 lime, juiced
2 ounces (1/4 cup) hot cayenne pepper sauce
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon crab boil seasoning

Shrimp:
4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
2 shallots, chopped
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
2 pounds jumbo shrimp peeled and de-veined*
12 to 15 blades fresh chives, chopped, for garnish

*Ask for easy-peel raw deveined shrimp at seafood counter of market
Preheat large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.

Combine lime juice, hot sauce, cumin, red pepper flakes and seafood seasoning blend.

Quickly saute garlic and shallots in oil and butter for 1 minute, add shrimp and cook 3 minutes, tossing and turning frequently. Dump pink, firm, cooked shrimp from hot pan into hot seasoning blend and toss in seasoning mixture to coat shrimp evenly. Garnish with chopped chives. Serve warm or chilled.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Falvegas, I thought you might like this recipe!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap2: :wave: :clap2:
I do, I do, I do......... :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:
It's like a Chesapeake Bay Shrimp Boil, but Kicked up with [1/4 Cup Cayenne ????] What has happend to you, pixie???
I'll Burn Up on Re-Entry.

I don't know where you get your Cayenne but 1/4 Cup of mine will heat the house for the winter. :lol:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:58 pm

:) I know! I don't think I could eat it like that, I'd have to cut it down! But, I thought you might like it!!!!!!!

:lolh: :clap2: :lolh: :clap2: :lolh:

:pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:36 pm

Pixie wrote::) I know! I don't think I could eat it like that, I'd have to cut it down! But, I thought you might like it!!!!!!!

Oh no you were't, you were out to 'eliminate me'.
They were wrong about you....... :laugh:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:04 pm

falvegas wrote:
Pixie wrote::) I know! I don't think I could eat it like that, I'd have to cut it down! But, I thought you might like it!!!!!!!

Oh no you were't, you were out to 'eliminate me'.
They were wrong about you....... :laugh:
:lolh: I would NEVER want to eliminate you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're too much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:18 am

Ah Yes, the closing of a busy day. So much of our business in Nevada is on 'Hold' it's discouraging.

My Sister wants to 'consider' replacing 'Half' the Christmas Cookies with pâte à choux appetizers. You know, that pastry you fill to make Éclairs. I've made them before but not on this scale.

Soooo......I'll be looking for IDEAS from You All on what to fill them with. This is where our thinking is:

Our choux thoughts haven’t gone very far:

* Sweet Fillings: maybe Pastry Cream fillings with almond, Amaretto, and Christmas food colorings of whatever… I need ideas.
* Savory Fillings: Smoked Salmon & Cream Cheese/Chopped Chives...Sauté Mushrooms in Cream/Sherry reduction… I need ideas.

NOTE: The only pâte à choux I’ve made is::
** pâte à choux Cheese Puffs (Gruyere is mixed in with the pastry), called Gougeres)

My Sister thinks she could make like 35 to 40 easily. I think she should buy them, and we can fill them, to keep her life more graceful.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:49 am

Pâte à choux Recipe
Yields 3 cups.
Makes enough pastry for 10 to 15 éclair shells or 15 to 20 cream-puff shells

This is a general recipe for Pâte à choux. Many of the recipes found for this can vary, but this is the one that I like. Use them in the CHOUX A LA CREME Recipe.

Always pay attention to what the Pâte à choux batter looks like. It should be creamy and smooth so it can be piped and hold it's shape -- but, not dry. After all the eggs are incorporated, the dough should be stiff enough to hold a peak when a spoon is lifted out of it.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup cold water
6 tablespoons butter, 3 ounces (if adding sugar, increase the butter to 8 tablespoons in total)
Pinch salt (Salt will help keep the pate' choux from cracking)
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, about 5 ounces
4 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons sugar (for sweet pastries), optional

Combine water, butter and salt (and the sugar if you're using it) in a 2-quart heavy bottomed saucepan and place it over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until the butter melts and the liquid is brought to a rapid boil.

Remove the saucepan from the heat and sift in the flour all at once. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth.

Return the saucepan to the heat and cook, beating constantly with a spoon, until the mixture holds together and begins to leave the sides of the pan. The dough will form a cohesive ball in the center of the pan even after a few strokes. Cook the paste, flattening and turning the ball of dough against the sides of the pan, drying the paste as much as possible. The bottom of the pan will be lightly filmed with the paste. The whole process will take about 5 minutes of continuous beating. To avoid overcooking the paste and letting the fat separate out, when it reaches this stage, remove from heat.

Transfer the paste to a 2- to 3-quart bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer. Before adding the eggs, so that they won't "cook" when they come in contact with the dough, beat the paste either by hand with a wooden spoon or by machine with a paddle attachment on lowest speed, 1 minute or until slightly cooled. Beating the dough helps to speed the cooling process.

The eggs should be at room temperature. Beat them in one at a time, beating well after each addition, to prevent the paste from separating. The dough will appear slippery at first but will become sticky and then smooth again. After all the eggs are incorporated, the dough should be stiff enough to hold a peak when a spoon is lifted out of it.

The Pâte à choux dough is then quickly spooned by the rounded teaspoonfuls or piped into puffs (about 1-1/2 inches in diameter and dropped onto a parchment paper or silpat mat lined sheet. Leave 2" between the puffs to permit spreading. Do not grease a metal pan, the grease will cause the dough to flatten.

Proceed as quickly as possible so it is still warm when it enters the oven. Cold choux pastry will be stiff and harder to pipe. For best results, the dough should be baked immediately after it's made. This will ensure the greatest expansion and lightness.

If you have more dough than you need, bake all of it and freeze the excess finished puffs. Wrap the baked shells tightly after they have cooled, and they will freeze very well.

BAKING: Bake choux pastry in a preheated 425 degrees F oven until crisp and beginning to color, about 10 minutes. Lower the temperature to 350 degrees F until well colored and dry, about 20 minutes. A wooden skewer inserted into the center should come out almost dry.

A convection oven is ideal for most pastries, including choux pastry, yielding a more uniform color and puffiness. If using a convection oven, bake at 50 degrees lower than the temperatures stated above, and check after 20 minutes. Rotate large puffs if necessary and cook an additional 10 minutes or so.

After removing the pastries from the oven, puncture them on the side or bottom with the tip of a sharp knife to allow any residual steam to escape. This will prevent sogginess. Arrange the pastries on a rack to cool. Once filled, the shells will absorb some of the moisture and aroma of the filling, becoming soft and tender if they're allowed to sit before serving.

Adapted from Nick Malgieri, Perfect Pastry, Macmillan, NY, 1989
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Nick Malgieri is one of my all time favorite Pastry Chefs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything he does is fantastic!!!!!!!

This recipe makes 15 to 20 regular size cream puffs and would make approximately 30 appetizer sized cream puffs that should be the PERFECT amount to replace 30 to 40 of your planned cookies!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your sister gets as excited about the holiday entertaining as you do!!!!!!!!!!!! That's wonderful!!!!!!!!!!! This is ambitious but as you can see this can be done ahead so I think it's a great idea!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll look for some filling recipes for you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:03 am

Creme Patissiere (Pastry Cream) Recipe
This is my favorite recipe.

Pastry Cream is great to use in an already baked tart shell, topped with fresh fruit. Pastry cream alone, lasts for 1 week, refrigerated.

Ingredients: (This recipe can be halved)
fills 1 dozen cream puffs or one, 8-inch tart
Whole Milk 2 cups
Cornstarch 1/4 cup
Sugar 3/4 cup
Eggs 2
Yolks 4
Butter 4 tablespoons
Vanilla 2 teaspoons

In a mixing bowl, dissolve cornstarch in 1/4 of the milk. Combine the remaining milk with the sugar in the saucepan; bring to a boil; remove from heat.

Beat whole egg(s), then the yolks into cornstarch mixture. Pour 1/3 of the boiling milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly, and strain.

Return the remaining milk to a boil. Pour into hot egg mixture in a stream, whisking constantly.
Continue whisking until the cream thickens and comes to a boil. Pour in hot egg mixture in a stream, whisking constantly.

Continue whisking until the cream thickens and comes to a boil. Remove from the heat and beat in the butter and vanilla and any other flavorings and chocolate.**

Pour the cream into a stainless steel pan. Press plastic wrap directly against the surface, so it won't form a film. Chill immediately.

It's easy to flavor pastry cream to compliment any dessert you are making.

**Ingredients: Full Batch fills 1 dozen cream puffs or one, 8-inch tart Ingredients:

CHOCOLATE PASTRY CREAM:
Semi-sweet chocolate - chopped finely 6 ounces
Water or Milk 1/2 cup

Bring water/milk to a boil in a saucepan; remove from heat. Add chocolate; whisk smooth. Whisk into pastry cream with butter and vanilla. OR, omit water or milk and melt chocolate. Add to warm pastry cream.

From class with: Nick Malgieri, Perfect Pastry, Macmillan, NY, 1989
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Personally, I would never use water and I would never omit the milk step!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:07 am

COFFEE PASTRY CREAM:

Instant espresso powder 1 tablespoon
Boiling water 1 tablespoon

Dissolve espresso powder in water. Whisk into pastry cream at the time you whisk in the butter and vanilla.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:11 am

LIQUEUR PASTRY CREAM:

Liqueur 2 tablespoons - recommendations: Amaretto, Frangelico, Baileys, Kahluha, or Chambord

Whisk into pastry cream with butter and vanilla.

Add slowly and taste often; be careful no not add too much because the pastry cream will become runny.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:19 am

Chocolate Ganache (To be used as a filling in your Pate Choux)

Made the Traditional Way from Chocolate, by Nick Malgieri, HarperCollins, 1998.

1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 pound (16 ounces) semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

NOTE: Ganache can be made with just two ingredients: chocolate and cream. But, optional ingredients can be added in for flavor, richness and a smooth texture. I like to add in all three:

1/4 cup light corn syrup -- for light sweetening and smoothness and shine.
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened (for flavor and richness) - Butter that is too soft or melted will result in a creamy texture. To prepare it for mixing, let butter stand at room temperature until softened but still cool. Add the butter in chunks until combined during the mixing stages.
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder and 1 tablespoon Kahlúa or any liqueur or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. Place chopped chocolate in a medium-sized, heat proof bowl. Make note that the hot cream will eventually be poured over it and must cover it entirely. If whipping later, I use my stand mixer bowl, which is perfect.

2. Pour cream into a medium saucepan under medium heat and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and pour over chocolate. Shake pan and allow to stand for about 2 minutes.

3. Stir with a whisk until smooth. If making a frosting with a velvety smooth texture, optionally, whisk in the room temperature butter chunks and corn syrup until smooth. Whisk in the espresso powder dissolved in liqueur.

Ganche can be refrigerated or set aside. Before you do, cover with a piece of plastic wrap pressed on the top of the ganache so a film does not form. If refrigerated, bring back to room temperature before using by setting in a warm place in the kitchen; it takes about an hour to soften.

Whipped ganache is used for making truffles, piping, filling or making a mousse. It needs to cool to lukewarm so it stiffens and will whip faster and have a better texture. Place ganache in a mixing bowl and whip it vigorously by hand or with an electric mixer on medium-high. Do this until mixture has lightened in color and is fluffy. Do not overwhip, otherwise it will become grainy. If it does, reheat in a double boiler and strain.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:40 am

Thank you, pixie, for the Malgieri recipe (I must absorb that). And, the Ganache and Coffee Pastry Cream recipe is an excellent input. We've already considered the Liquor possibilities with Amaretto and Chambord etc.. Most important right now are the 'Savory' possibilities.

As always, you have enriched my plans.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:49 am

Well, I'm still looking! I was up very late but I ran out of steam, as I was searching my recipes and the net, but I should have some time today to look for more recipes!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was awake and couldn't sleep!!!!!!!!

I have a really big meeting taking place today and my head was swimming with "things I have to do," :shock: :shock: :headscratch: :shock: :shock: so I thought I'd put my time to good use!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)