Christmas Dinners

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by Pixie » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:56 am

falvegas wrote:You have my Lobster Diner, and Wine Growers Steak Recipe so I'm adding the Antipasto Platters for Christmas Day.

Antipasto Platters
This Antipasto will be served on a large platter family style. There will be 2 maybe 3 set out Christmas day with a platter of Ciabatta Bruschetta and one of fresh Ciabatta. There's also three dips for spreading on the Bruschetta and for adding any variety of the Antipasto meats. A bowl of Italian (basic) salad dressing and Parmesan cheese is also included

Italian Antipasto
** The Platter will be covered completely with fanned Romaine Lettuce, Boston lettuce, Arugula, and small bundles of Basil leaves. (these will be washed, dried, and wrapped in towels in the refrigerator well in advance)
** In the center of each Platter will be a mound of Italian Tuna Fish (from canned, packed in Oil), about 3 to 4 cans each platter (some xVirgin Olive Oil (EVOO) and a dusting of Oregano will be added to them in a bowl, in the refrigerator before use)
** Around the outside of the platter will be alternating finger rolls of sliced
- Genoa Dry Salami
- Capicola
- Mortadella
- Prosciutto
- Italian Ham
- Soprassata
- Provolone Cheese, sliced & rolled
- Mozzarella Cheese, sliced
- Asiago Cheese, sliced
- Scattered Bread Sticks with Prosciutto wrapped around the ends
** On the inside ring between the meats/cheeses and the Tuna there will be scattered groups of:
- Assorted Olives from the Deli
- Bocconini (baby Italian Cheese Balls that have been marinated in Olive Oil and chopped Basil)
- Cherry Tomatoes, halved (half fresh, half lightly roasted)
- Roasted Red Bell Pepper Strips, and Pickled Cherry Peppers (halved)
- Crescents of Sliced red Onion
** Three bread platters will be included:
- Bruschetta: toasted sliced Ciabatta, rubbed with Garlic, and lightly brushed with xVirgin Olive Oil.
- Fresh Ciabatta: Some sliced, some whole
- Extra Bead Sticks (store bought) for wrapping cheeses and cold cuts around as a snack.
** The Antipasto will be lightly sprinkled with dressing, and there will be a bowl of the dressing beside the platter, including a bottle of EVOO, a bottle of Balsamic Vinegar, and a dish of grated Parmesan. The basic dressing is:
- 1 part EVOO
- 1/3 Part Champaign Wine Vinegar
- 1/40th Part Dijon Mustard
- 1/40th Part mashed Garlic
- 1/40th Part lavender Honey

Antipasto Bruschetta Spreads
** Bean & Sun-Dried Tomato Spread: Puree 32 Oz rinsed & drained Cannellini Beans, 4-crushed Garlic cloves, and 2/3 Cup heavy Cream to a heavy paste. Stir in ¼ Cup fine-chopped Sun Dried Tomatoes, season with S & P.
** Ricotta and Caper Spread: 6-Cups fresh drained Ricotta, ½ Cup drained Capers, 2-TBS marjoram, and 2-TBS EVOO. Combine well by hand.

Smoked Salmon Platter & Spread
** A Plate of Sliced Smoke Salmon will be provided and share the Bruschetta plates
** Accompaniments for the Salmon Bruschetta are:
- Spread: Blend equal parts Sour Cream and Cream Cheese together with 2-TBS each of chopped chive & chopped fresh Dill. Season with S & P and re-blend and chill.
- Garnish: Fine sliced chilled Cucumbers in Dill, Baby Spinach leaves, and the greens from the Antipasto.

NOTE: I decided not to make the Artichoke Spread. Instead I’m replacing the original Roasted Red Potatoes for Christmas Day Dinner with the following:
* Warm Potato Salad with Almonds, Avocado, Watercress, and a Lemon/Oil dressing. I’ll post the recipe later

So instead of hauling Artichokes back East, I now have a smaller box of Avocados.
Oh, my this is wonderful!!!!!!!!!! You've given me some great ideas for ours on Christmas Eve!!!!!!!!!

Falvegas, I'm not familiar with Soprassata. Please, clue me in!!!!!!!!!! :noparty:

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:56 am

Pixie wrote:
-

Falvegas, I'm not familiar with Soprassata. Please, clue me in!!!!!!!!!! :noparty:

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
Me neither. But with some of the ingredients posted here and in other recipes, there is no way I would even find the stuff in these stupid grocery stores down here. I will be lucky to find the cilantra I need for my chili for Chistmas Eve. Which is ok, cause I am getting to be way too lazy to do any fancy cooking nowadays anyway. But in my younger years this would have driven me up the wall, and maybe even to move. :angry:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:40 am

Soprassata is another type of Italian Salami. Usually smaller in diameter than the traditional, it has a slightly flat edge on it (from the weights used when it's made) that's where the name comes from. It's coarser in the grain than traditional salami and has a stronger flavor.

I've made this antipasto many, many times for a crowd, and it's easy to assemble, very colorful, doesn't spoil over an extended exposure. One can make a salad of their choice from it, or an open face Bruschetta with or without the Spreads or a full sandwich. Several platters made ahead, stored in the frig and just brought out and drizzled. No cooking.

On availability, my brother and sisters are about 20 miles ouside Boston which has a 'Little Italy', the North End it's called. Looks right out of 'The Godfather'. All these ingredients, and a zillion more are available in thier little family owned markets. And, pixie, the most wonderful assortments of Christmas pastries, a virtual Wonderland during the holidays. The Canoli's, Ba Ba Rum's Neopolitans, Zapoli.....just yummmmm... And the breads, wow. Much of that stuff I can't get in the Southwest.

They'll pick up all the ingredients. All I'm bringing is a box of Avocados and the special ingredients for my Salsas.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:48 pm

I scored 10 pounds of salmon at $2.99/lb on the clearance rack at the grocery (not really, I tackled the lady as she was on the way to the clearance rack). At 1600 hours I will place it in the smoker so it will be ready for dinner. :cheer:

The overflow goes in the freezer! Unless the children hijack that off to their lairs too...just like the pork....and the turkey....and the chicken breasts.....

Fav: any technique hints on combining the sour cream and the cream cheese? Or just use the power mixer? Also: I have some fresh Thai basil left in my garden. Would that go well with the salmon/sour cream/cream cheese?

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:17 pm

Fatherducque wrote:I scored 10 pounds of salmon at $2.99/lb on the clearance rack at the grocery (not really, I tackled the lady as she was on the way to the clearance rack). At 1600 hours I will place it in the smoker so it will be ready for dinner. :cheer:

The overflow goes in the freezer! Unless the children hijack that off to their lairs too...just like the pork....and the turkey....and the chicken breasts.....

Fav: any technique hints on combining the sour cream and the cream cheese? Or just use the power mixer? Also: I have some fresh Thai basil left in my garden. Would that go well with the salmon/sour cream/cream cheese?
Great deal on the salmon. I have to hunt to get it for 4.99/lb. I do salmon quite a bit, about any way one can think of. I have a really neat Grilled Salmon recipe I picked up in Alaska, it's the way they cook it often.

On the Sour Cream & Cream Cheese, Frankly I mix it by hand with a fork unless it's a lot. The less to clean the better. Regardless how you do it, it should be chilled awhile before use, and it will thicken in the frig so you may have to add some milk to thin it depending how you're using it.

Salmon is very forgiving on Garnish. Cilantro, Fennel, Basil, Dill, Spinach...Arugula, not so sure. :wave:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:18 pm

iamlookingup wrote:You know, I've looked and looked and even asked the postman, but I've YET to find
my holiday dinner invitations to falvegas and/or pixie's home. :dunno:

What do you think has happened to them?? :dunno:

:lol:
:wink:
Your invitation is in the mail along with your check........ :teehee:

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:25 pm

falvegas wrote:
Fatherducque wrote:I scored 10 pounds of salmon at $2.99/lb on the clearance rack at the grocery (not really, I tackled the lady as she was on the way to the clearance rack). At 1600 hours I will place it in the smoker so it will be ready for dinner. :cheer:

Great deal on the salmon. I have to hunt to get it for 4.99/lb. I do salmon quite a bit, about any way one can think of. I have a really neat Grilled Salmon recipe I picked up in Alaska, it's the way they cook it often.

On the Sour Cream & Cream Cheese, Frankly I mix it by hand with a fork unless it's a lot. The less to clean the better. Regardless how you do it, it should be chilled awhile before use, and it will thicken in the frig so you may have to add some milk to thin it depending how you're using it.

Salmon is very forgiving on Garnish. Cilantro, Fennel, Basil, Dill, Spinach...Arugula, not so sure. :wave:
Many thanks for the serving suggestion. I have some guests coming over and that would make an excellent presentation. They will think I raided somebody's wedding.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:45 pm

Fatherducque wrote:
falvegas wrote:

Many thanks for the serving suggestion. I have some guests coming over and that would make an excellent presentation. They will think I raided somebody's wedding.
ducque...it will depend on how you're serving the salmon. If the S.Cream/Cream Cheese mixture is like the one I posted inhere...that's a Spread for toasted bread. If you're serving the salmon as a main course, you might want to consider another sauce, not a spread. Let me know, maybe I can help.
Later.......

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:39 pm

iamlookingup wrote:You know, I've looked and looked and even asked the postman, but I've YET to find

Ask 9, he works for the post office. He prolly lost it. :lol:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:27 pm

:lolh: My dear, please consider this a PUBLIC invitation!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are always welcome!!!!!!!!! :lolh:

ConsrvYank1, that goes for you too!!!!!!!!!!!!

:pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:56 pm

Royd wrote:Bronze Turkey will all the timmings, it is what Christmas was invented for.

:wave: :wave: :wave: Royd!!!!!!!!!!!

Please enlighten me as I don't know what Bronze Turkey is!!!!!!!! :wave: :wave: :wave:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:58 pm

:laugh: Sounds like a plan to me!!!!!!!! :wave:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:05 pm

And not one of you noticed. I am shocked, just shocked......
Christmas Eve Dinner, Christmas Day brunch, and Christmas Day Dinner recipes are dominated with the colors Red & Green.
See how you are......... :cry:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:05 pm

This is the Scampi Recipe I'll be making as a first course to go with Christmas Day Dinner with Wine-Growers Rib-Eye Beef, Warm Potato Salad with Almonds & Avocado, and with Leeks Au Gratin.

Shrimp Scampi
This recipe I always remembered from my college days. I helped the head chef at Polcari’s make it and all the recipes I’ve read since don’t capture the Italian way of a heavily Butter/Olive-Oil/Garlic, Vermouth Base, and minimum lemon juice.
Ingredients
2 Lbs large Shrimp, shelled & deveined, preferably not farm-raised. Save the Shrimp Shells and Tails.
Vermouth, dry (just keep the bottle handy, at least ¼ Cup)
6 Oz, 1 ½ quarters Butter, unsalted.
¼ Cup EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
4 TBS Garlic, minced
1 Bunch Scallions (green Onions) chopped fine
1/2 Lemon, fresh
¼ Cup Parsley leaves, flat leaf, chopped coarse
Sea Salt & fresh ground Black Pepper to taste
Preparation
1.) In a large skillet on Medium-High, add ¼ Cup Olive Oil. When hot, add the reserved Shrimp shells and cook 3 to 4 minutes. Drain through a sieve into a Pyrex cup, and discard the shells. Reserve the Oil. (slightly less than a ¼ Cup)
2.) In small sauce pan on Low, add ¼ Cup Vermouth and juice from ½ Lemon. Simmer until reduced by about half. Reserve.
3.) In a large skillet on Medium-High, add 4 TBS of the Olive Oil from (step-1).
4.) Add Shrimp, and ½ the Garlic to the skillet, and cook about 1 minute (no longer), turning constantly. Quickly remove shrimp with a slotted spoon and place in a metal bowl inside an Ice Bath to cool.
5.) To the Skillet on Medium Heat, add the rest of the Oil (from-1), the Butter, Scallions, Parsley, and the rest of the Garlic, sauté this for 2 Minutes.
6.) Add the Vermouth/Lemon reduction (from-2) to the Skillet, and sauté for a minute or two, stirring.
7.) Add the Shrimp to the Skillet, and simmer on Low until the Shrimp are pink all over and just turning translucent. Should be about 3 to 4 Minutes. (do not overcook Shrimp)
8.) Serve in a Pasta Serving Bowl or individual servings garnished with Italian Parsley and plenty of Bread for dipping in the sauce. Serve a dish of Grated parmesan for those who wish.

This can be served as a side dish or as a main dish over fettuccini.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:12 am

falvegas wrote:And not one of you noticed. I am shocked, just shocked......
Christmas Eve Dinner, Christmas Day brunch, and Christmas Day Dinner recipes are dominated with the colors Red & Green.
See how you are......... :cry:

Oh, I'm sorry! I was so engrossed in the menu, and the combination of foods, that I never stopped to conceptualize it visually!!!!!!!!! :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:14 am

falvegas wrote:This is the Scampi Recipe I'll be making as a first course to go with Christmas Day Dinner with Wine-Growers Rib-Eye Beef, Warm Potato Salad with Almonds & Avocado, and with Leeks Au Gratin.

Shrimp Scampi
This recipe I always remembered from my college days. I helped the head chef at Polcari’s make it and all the recipes I’ve read since don’t capture the Italian way of a heavily Butter/Olive-Oil/Garlic, Vermouth Base, and minimum lemon juice.
Ingredients
2 Lbs large Shrimp, shelled & deveined, preferably not farm-raised. Save the Shrimp Shells and Tails.
4 TBS Garlic, minced
1/2 Lemon, fresh
Preparation
1.) In a large skillet on Medium-High, add ¼ Cup Olive Oil. When hot, add the reserved Shrimp shells and cook 3 to 4 minutes. Drain through a sieve into a Pyrex cup, and discard the shells. Reserve the Oil. (slightly less than a ¼ Cup)
2.) In small sauce pan on Low, add ¼ Cup Vermouth and juice from ½ Lemon. Simmer until reduced by about half. Reserve.
3.) In a large skillet on Medium-High, add 4 TBS of the Olive Oil from (step-1).
4.) Add Shrimp, and ½ the Garlic to the skillet, and cook about 1 minute (no longer), turning constantly. Quickly remove shrimp with a slotted spoon and place in a metal bowl inside an Ice Bath to cool.
5.) To the Skillet on Medium Heat, add the rest of the Oil (from-1), the Butter, Scallions, Parsley, and the rest of the Garlic, sauté this for 2 Minutes.
6.) Add the Vermouth/Lemon reduction (from-2) to the Skillet, and sauté for a minute or two, stirring.
7.) Add the Shrimp to the Skillet, and simmer on Low until the Shrimp are pink all over and just turning translucent. Should be about 3 to 4 Minutes. (do not overcook Shrimp)
8.) Serve in a Pasta Serving Bowl or individual servings garnished with Italian Parsley and plenty of Bread for dipping in the sauce. Serve a dish of Grated parmesan for those who wish.

Shrimp Scampi is my ALL TIME FAVORITE pasta dish!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love garlic!!!!!!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:27 am

Pixie wrote:
falvegas wrote:This is the Scampi Recipe I'll be making as a first course to go with Christmas Day Dinner with Wine-Growers Rib-Eye Beef, Warm Potato Salad with Almonds & Avocado, and with Leeks Au Gratin.

Shrimp Scampi
Ingredients
4 TBS Garlic, minced
1/2 Lemon, fresh
Preparation

Shrimp Scampi is my ALL TIME FAVORITE pasta dish!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love garlic!!!!!!!!!

Here's a trick....
After step 4, continue with the recipe 'Without the Shrimp' i.e do step 5 & 6 and cool. Add cooled mix to the Shrimp in a Bowl, and cool in the frig until ready to serve and finish. It's a do ahead thing.

And I trust you're feeling better. After all, without you what would the holidays be, what would this post be?

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:02 pm

iamlookingup wrote:

Okay! :thumbsup: I'll bring the cheesecake, and consrvyank1 can pay for the plane tickets to get us there! :lol:[/quote]

:stress:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:45 pm

iamlookingup wrote:I might actually be able to figure out how to follow that scampi recipe! :lol:

How much does a bottle of Vermouth cost? :dunno:
Oh, come now. You're way beyond the mindset that believes you just chop everyting up and throw it in the pot. But we should share some methods in here on 'Layered Cooking' and the integration of flavor.

Vermouth is about half the price of wine. It's the dominant cooking liquid in my suite of things. If you're making a Beef Bourbuignon or Coq Au Vin or the likes you'll need a reasonable Red. But when I degalaze, most of the time it's with a mild vinegar or Vermouth, and vermouth gives a distinctive subtle flavor to simple soups, like a chicken noodle.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:08 pm

Raspberries in Cream with Chambord
We’ll have so many cookies, cakes, pies on Christmas from family and friends. This is a very simple desert I’ll make for the Wine-Growers Beef dinner on Christmas Day.

Ingredients
Fresh Raspberries (One 8 Oz package per 3 or 4 people)
Chambord, about 1-TBS per serving (For liqueur substitute use black raspberry syrup, or a syrup such as Monin)
Heavy Cream, good quality (Amount to make the quantity of whipped cream needed)
Mascarpone Cheese (small container)
Sugar (2 TBS/Cup of Heavy Cream)
Vanilla extract (1/2 Tsp/Cup of Heavy Cream)
Semi Sweet Chocolate, good quality, melted, spread into thin sheet, hardened. Or can use shaved chocolate for the topping.

Preparation
** About an Hour before: Mix a few ounces of the Raspberries with 1-TBS Chambord. Drain and reserve any of the Chambord. (Or just brush lightly with a Raspberry Syrup)
** Make Whipped Cream as usual using 1/3 Mascarpone to Heavy Cream, adding the Sugar and Vanilla Extract. Half way through the Whipping, drizzle in a little Chambord until the Whipped Cream reaches a blush color. Refrigerate until ready to use.
To Serve:
** Gently fold Raspberries into the Whipped Cream to the amount desired. Likely a small handful per serving will do.
** Spoon into 16 Oz Wine Glasses, top with a few of the coated Raspberries, drizzle with some Chambord, insert a sheet of the Chocolate (or shave some over the top), and serve immediately. Can add a sprig of fresh mint.

NOTE: Chambord isn’t cheap, and there are no substitutes I have found. Kirsch is a heavy Cherry flavor so one can use the raspberry syrups like Monin or Torani.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:43 pm

falvegas wrote:
But when I degalaze, most of the time it's with a mild vinegar or Vermouth, and vermouth gives a distinctive subtle flavor to simple soups, like a chicken noodle.
When I was growing up it was a tradition in our Northern Italian family to add a little bit of our grandfather's home-made wine (very dry) to our chicken (homemade) soup. Even the children were allowed to do this. To this day I can hardly eat chicken soup without it. It tasted that good. :drool:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:02 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
falvegas wrote:
But when I degalaze, most of the time it's with a mild vinegar or Vermouth, and vermouth gives a distinctive subtle flavor to simple soups, like a chicken noodle.
When I was growing up it was a tradition in our Northern Italian family to add a little bit of our grandfather's home-made wine (very dry) to our chicken (homemade) soup. Even the children were allowed to do this. To this day I can hardly eat chicken soup without it. It tasted that good. :drool:
Good for your Grandfather, and good for you.
When I make Chicken Soup, I always saute the Veggies briefly before adding the Stock. I deglaze the pan with a few TBS Vermouth, then add that to the stock. If there's a bottle of Chardonnay handy I'll drink that, why waste it.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:28 pm

falvegas wrote:
Pixie wrote:

Shrimp Scampi
Ingredients
4 TBS Garlic, minced
1/2 Lemon, fresh
Preparation

Here's a trick....
After step 4, continue with the recipe 'Without the Shrimp' i.e do step 5 & 6 and cool. Add cooled mix to the Shrimp in a Bowl, and cool in the frig until ready to serve and finish. It's a do ahead thing.

And I trust you're feeling better. After all, without you what would the holidays be, what would this post be?
:wave: :wave: :wave: Falvegas!!!!!

I'm feeling ALL better, thank you!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) I was thrilled to go to Church today and my Sunday School class!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Thank you for that tip as Shrimp is SOOOOOOO easy to overcook! This makes perfect sense!!!!!!!!

Oh, see I think that you are the one who makes this thread and our cookie thread!!!!!!! :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:31 pm

falvegas wrote:Raspberries in Cream with Chambord
We’ll have so many cookies, cakes, pies on Christmas from family and friends. This is a very simple desert I’ll make for the Wine-Growers Beef dinner on Christmas Day.

Ingredients
Chambord, about 1-TBS per serving (For liqueur substitute use black raspberry syrup, or a syrup such as Monin)
Semi Sweet Chocolate, good quality, melted, spread into thin sheet, hardened. Or can use shaved chocolate for the topping.

Preparation
** About an Hour before: Mix a few ounces of the Raspberries with 1-TBS Chambord. Drain and reserve any of the Chambord. (Or just brush lightly with a Raspberry Syrup)
** Make Whipped Cream as usual using 1/3 Mascarpone to Heavy Cream, adding the Sugar and Vanilla Extract. Half way through the Whipping, drizzle in a little Chambord until the Whipped Cream reaches a blush color. Refrigerate until ready to use.
To Serve:
** Gently fold Raspberries into the Whipped Cream to the amount desired. Likely a small handful per serving will do.
** Spoon into 16 Oz Wine Glasses, top with a few of the coated Raspberries, drizzle with some Chambord, insert a sheet of the Chocolate (or shave some over the top), and serve immediately. Can add a sprig of fresh mint.

NOTE: Chambord isn’t cheap, and there are no substitutes I have found. Kirsch is a heavy Cherry flavor so one can use the raspberry syrups like Monin or Torani.
Oooooh, how wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is very elegant!!!!!!!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:37 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
iamlookingup wrote:

Okay! :thumbsup: I'll bring the cheesecake, and consrvyank1 can pay for the plane tickets to get us there! :lol:
:stress:
Oops! Sorry!!!!!!!!!!! :noparty: :embarrassed: :noparty: :embarrassed: :noparty: :embarrassed: :noparty:

:wave: :wave: :wave:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:53 pm

Pixie wrote:
falvegas wrote:Raspberries in Cream with Chambord

Ingredients

Preparation
To Serve:

Oooooh, how wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is very elegant!!!!!!!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:
I told you, the theme is Red and Green.........
And no more than an hour in the Kitchen.

Yaa, I'm back in the Kitchen today, and with surprise company. I thought the hummingbirds had gone south as two of them showed up at the feeder outside my kitchen window. They are so alarmingly beautiful.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:30 pm

Oh, you have hummingbirds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :stars: :stars: :stars:

Well, you couldn't have better company than that!!!!!!!!!! What are you listening to on your surround sound??????????

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:44 pm

Pixie wrote:Oh, you have hummingbirds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :stars: :stars: :stars:

Well, you couldn't have better company than that!!!!!!!!!! What are you listening to on your surround sound??????????
I knew you were going to ask that.
I have the football game on in the Kitchen. In the livingroom I have a DVD of Andrea Bocelli's concert, 'A Night In Tuscany' (With Sarah Brightman) I can see both of them, the game is muted.

That's over now I'm listening to Eric Clapton and Jamed Taylor. See how I am, now I'm dating myself.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:08 pm

I almost forgot my Niece and her friend don't eat Meat. Since we're having Wine-Growers Beef for Dinner I'll have to add a Fish to the menu. They both like Oriental so I'm going to make them the following which only takes 30 minutes:

In keeping with Red and Green for the Christmas Cuisine:

Skillet cooked Salmon with Wasabi Mashed Potatoes and Spicy Cucumbers
I'll post the recipe if anyone is interested. It's really simple.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:40 pm

And yes, I'm am getting the spirit. I even started decorating today. One year I put up 3 Christmas trees. Just one this year, I'll be our of town.

But it is that time. It grows in me exponentially until a week before and I can hardly contain myself. This great big wonderful Christmas party for the greatest teacher the world has ever known, without whom our species would likely be extinct. And families come together, which they should, and we give uncontrollably to the children, which we should in keeping with the first birthday. It is just one wonderful party, the biggest...we'll make it fun, which we should. Just being together is the party. That is the Hyacinth for our soul.

And no, I haven't pulled out my Christmas music yet but I'm getting there, one step at a time. The music is all around me everwhere I go, and well it should be. Actually started a few days before Halloween.

So planning for the Christmas menu is fun, and it's almost done, within the next week. A tweek here and there, and the family on both ends of the country will be set into motion. I'm just not quite prepared for New England weather. I'll actually have to take out my parka and climbing boots.