Christmas Dinners

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
User avatar
falvegas
Posts: 7939
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:14 am

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by falvegas » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:11 pm

Lamb, Southwest with Mint/Chili Sauce
Served on a Shredded Sweet Potato Pancake

6 Racks of Lamb, Frenched (~4 Lbs) Have the Butcher French them.
2-TBS fish Sauce
2 garlic Cloves, crushed
¼ Cup Sweet Chili Sauce
1/4 Cup Mint, chopped
1 TBS Oil, Peanut (or oil of convenience)
Shredded Sweet Potatoes
1 ½ Lbs Sweet Potatoes, peeled, grated
1 Egg, beaten
¼ Cup Flour (all purpose)
4 TBS Butter, unsalted, melted
¼ Cup Olive Oil
Chili Mint Sauce
2 TBS Sugar, Turbinado (or plain sugar)
2 TBS Oil, Peanut (or oil of convenience)
¼ Cup Rice Vinegar
1 Lime, Zest and Juice
1-TBS fish Sauce
2 Red Chilies, fresh, seeded, sliced into rings (Red Jalapeno chili is about right)
2 Green Onions, sliced thin on the diagonal
2 Cups Mint, rough chopped
Pre-Heat Oven to 400 F Degrees
** Combine the Fish Sauce, Garlic, Chili Sauce and Mint and rub all over the Lamb. Refrigerate 1 hour.
** Lamb: Heat Oil in skillet over Medium High, and cook each lamb rack for 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
** Transfer Lamb to roasting pan. Roast 7 to 10 minutes until cooked through. Let rest 5 minutes. Lamb will be Rare. Cook longer if prefer well done.
** Sweet Potatoes: Mix potatoes with the Egg, Flour, and melted Butter and season w/salt & pepper
** Heat Oil in a non stick skillet on medium. Form the Potato mix into 6 Patties and cook. 2 to 3 minutes (in batches) until crisp & golden.
** Sauce: Combine all ingredients for Chili Mint Sauce.
** Plate Lamb on top of a Pancake, and place a dollop of the Mint Chili Sauce on top, serve immediately.


Paprika Roasted leg of Lamb
Marcus Samuelsson

Ingredients
3 tablespoons sweet paprika
1 tablespoon pure Chili Powder, such as Ancho or Pasilla
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
One 6 1/2-pound boneless leg of lamb, butterflied
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Salt
6 whole Garlic cloves
4 Rosemary sprigs
2 Thyme sprigs
1 Lemon, sliced 1/4 inch thick
Directions
** Heat oven to 500°. In a small bowl, mix the paprika with the chili powder and cardamom. Rub the lamb with the olive oil and season with salt. Sprinkle the spices all over the lamb.
** Lay the lamb fat side down on a large rimmed baking sheet. Scatter the garlic cloves, rosemary and thyme sprigs and lemon slices around the lamb and roast on the top rack of the oven for about 25 minutes, or until nicely browned. Turn the lamb fat side up and roast for about 25 minutes longer, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the meat registers 130° for medium-rare.
** Transfer the lamb to a carving board and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice the lamb 1/4 inch thick and serve.

User avatar
falvegas
Posts: 7939
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:14 am

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by falvegas » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:17 pm

Hot Puree of Buttered Cauliflower

A unique recipe for cauliflower, maybe alternative to mashed potatoes

Ingredients
Two 2-pound heads of cauliflower, cored and separated into 2-inch florets
2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
Salt
Cayenne pepper
Directions
Preheat the oven to 325°.
** In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the cauliflower florets until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain well. Spread the cauliflower on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake for about 5 minutes, to dry it out.
** In a small saucepan, combine the heavy cream with the butter and bring to a simmer over moderate heat just until the butter is melted.
** Working in batches, puree the cauliflower in a blender with the warm cream mixture; transfer the puree to a medium microwave-safe bowl. Season with salt and a dusting of cayenne. Just before serving, reheat the puree in the microwave in 1-minute intervals, stirring occasionally.

The cauliflower puree can be refrigerated and reheated in a microwave, stir a few times.

User avatar
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by Pixie » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:29 pm

Oh, I have the easiest way in the world to French your lamb bones!!!!!!!!!!!

At the top of the bone, at the bottom of the center cut part, cut across the entire rack to the bone but don't score the bone. Wrap butchers twine around one bone at a time and pull down to the bottom of the bone and it will be BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

:pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

User avatar
falvegas
Posts: 7939
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:14 am

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by falvegas » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:47 pm

Pixie wrote:Oh, I have the easiest way in the world to French your lamb bones!!!!!!!!!!!

At the top of the bone, at the bottom of the center cut part, cut across the entire rack to the bone but don't score the bone. Wrap butchers twine around one bone at a time and pull down to the bottom of the bone and it will be BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

:pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:
Thank you, thank you, evvvvery so much. My mother thanks you, and my father thanks you, and my sisters thank you, and....well, you know.

User avatar
falvegas
Posts: 7939
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:14 am

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by falvegas » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:53 pm

Roast Prime Rib with a Horseradish Muslin Sauce (by falvegas)
This Rib Roast finishes with a crisp savory crust & garlic flavor

Ingredients
One 7 to 10 Lb Prime Rib or Standing Rib Roast, trimmed. Have the Butcher separate the bones from the roast then re-attach them. If you intend to make a Stock with the Bones, have the Butcher crack them for you, package them loose, and start cooking 2 to 3 hours in advance.
4 Garlic Cloves, sliced into wedges
1 ½ Cups Flour
¼ Cup Hungarian Paprika, plus some for dusting
½ Tsp Garlic Powder, plus some for dusting
1 Tsp Powdered Sugar
1-TBS Thyme, chopped fine, plus some for dusting
2-Tsp Rosemary, chopped fine, plus some for dusting
Sea Salt & fresh Ground Pepper
Olive Oil
20 Oz Rich Beef Stock (if not making your own with the Roast Bones)
Horseradish Muslin Sauce
1 ½ Cups Whipped Cream
¼ Cup Horseradish, prepared

Pre Heat Oven to 400 F Degrees
** Rub: In a bowl sift together the Flour, Paprika, Garlic Powder and Powdered Sugar. Mix in the Thyme, Rosemary, ½ tsp Salt, and 1 TBS pepper.
** Roast: Remove Bones from the Roast, reserve. Dry the Roast well. With a Paring Knife pierce a dozen and a half slits around the roast (about 1 inch deep). Fill the studded slits with the slivers of Garlic.
** Coat Roast thoroughly with the Rub, pressing it in well all over. If not using Bones for Stock, place Rib back on the Bones the way they came. Place Roast, Bone Side Down in Roasting Pan.
** Roast for 30 minutes then reduce oven to 350 F Degrees. Remove when thickest part of the roast is 125 F Deg (Rare), 135 F Deg. (Med Rare), 145 F Deg (Med) (about 1 ¾ to 2 ¼ hours for Med Rare). Roast temperature will rise up to 10 degrees when removed from oven. Cover with foil and let rest 20 to 30 minutes. Strain pan juices through a sieve and add to Stock, season, heat, and serve with roast.
** Stock: If you’re using cracked bones to make stock, see Recipe following (at end). This should be done 2 to 3 hours before cooking roast.
Horseradish Muslin Sauce
** Beat Whipping Cream to soft peaks. Fold in Horseradish and refrigerate or serve right away with Roast.
Yorkshire Pudding
** When Roast is done, remove and increase Oven temp to 450 F degrees. Add Oil to Pan drippings to equal 1/4 Cup. Return to pan. Mix 4 Eggs & 2 Cups Flour in a Bowl. Add 2 Cups Flour and ½ Tsp Salt and beat until smooth. Divide pan drippings into large muffin tins, divide batter in the tins, and bake until Puffy & Golden (~20 to 25 minutes).

**** Serve Roast with Muslin Sauce & Reduced Stock, Yorkshire Pudding (recipe below) Mashed or Roasted Potatoes, Green Vegetable of choice, and a Caesar Salad.

NOTE: Stock: Place Cracked Bones in a bowl with celery, carrot, and an onion studded with 2 cloves. Coat with Olive Oil lightly and dust with S & P. Place under broiler until sizzling and there’s signs of dark crisp edges on veggies and meat. Place in a pan of Chicken or Beef stock to cover, add a bouquet garni. Simmer 2 to 3 hours (a bubble a second). Strain through fine sieve, degrease, and place Stock back in pan. Whisk 2 Egg Whites in a Cup of Water and pour into Stock, stir well. Bring to a Boil for 30 seconds, turn off, and strain clarified Stock. Place back in pan and reduce to about 2/3.

Horseradish & Herb-Crusted Beef Rib Roast (Don't know who's this is)
Ingredients
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 head of garlic, cloves coarsely chopped
1 cup prepared horseradish
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
3 tablespoons chopped rosemary
3 tablespoons chopped sage
One 16-pound rib roast of beef
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions
Preheat the oven to 325°. In a food processor, combine the butter with the garlic, horseradish, thyme, rosemary and sage and process to a paste.
Stand the roast in a very large roasting pan. Season generously all over with salt and pepper and set it fatty side up. Spread the horseradish-herb butter all over the top. Bake for about 3 1/2 hours, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 125° for medium rare. Transfer the roast to a carving board to rest for at least 20 minutes or for up to 1 hour before serving.
Horseradish-herb butter can be refrigerated overnight. Let butter soften before using. Note: If making Popovers, reserve 3 tablespoons of the beef fat from the roasting pan.
Last edited by falvegas on Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by Pixie » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:05 pm

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I can't tell you how excited I am to get YOUR recipe for Prime Rib!!!!!!!!!! It's a Falvegas original!!!!!!!

Very cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I only have a few recipes that I have created from scratch... all my other recipes started out as recipes I took from a cookbook, or online and then reworked to suit my tastes as time went on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so excited to have an "Original" :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

:wave: I hope you're having a good weekend!!!!!!!!!!!

I wrapped 50% of my Christmas gifts today and I have a few things to pick up in order to finish the wrapping of the other 50%!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After church, tomorrow, I'll stop at a Hallmark and pick up the rest of the wrapping paper, etc.!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
falvegas
Posts: 7939
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:14 am

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by falvegas » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:16 pm

Pixie wrote::clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I can't tell you how excited I am to get YOUR recipe for Prime Rib!!!!!!!!!! It's a Falvegas original!!!!!!!

Very cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I only have a few recipes that I have created from scratch... all my other recipes started out as recipes I took from a cookbook, or online and then reworked to suit my tastes as time went on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so excited to have an "Original" :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

:wave: I hope you're having a good weekend!!!!!!!!!!!

I wrapped 50% of my Christmas gifts today and I have a few things to pick up in order to finish the wrapping of the other 50%!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After church, tomorrow, I'll stop at a Hallmark and pick up the rest of the wrapping paper, etc.!!!!!!!!!!
Finished decorating my place today, sent several packages out a week ago. Can't bring much on the airplane or it'll cost me more than they're worth. Temperature dropped to 50 today..Yuk! There's a storm coming in, I can see it over the mountains. New England may be worse. My sisters go to Hallmark the day after. My brother and I have to bring a couple of trucks with us to haul it all back. I think my older sister has $ 4 to $5 thousand in hallmark ornaments over the years. Some are worth quite a lot.

I know...blah, blah,blah...

Anyway, I meant to mention that that recipe I've done so many times I entered it from memory. several approximations because I just 'do it' almost without thinking. It's an old crumbled note in the New York Times Cookbook. The note I meant to ADD was: If guests have various requirements for Well Done or Rare, I ask the Butcher to cut the roast from the small end which is uaually tapered so one end will be cooked a bit more than the other. And I can always put the smaller end in the oven to complete. Also, I usually dont crack the bones for stock, I serve them with the meal most of the time. This is the meal I'll make New Years, back here. I'll work on reviewing it and post it again then. Tomorrow I'll start packing.

Above all, enjoy your weekend. :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

User avatar
ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps
Posts: 19546
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:47 am
Location: Connecticut Yankee
Contact:

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:53 am

Pixie wrote:

After church, tomorrow, I'll stop at a Hallmark and pick up the rest of the wrapping paper, etc.!!!!!!!!!!
Wrapping paper is so much more expensive at the Hallmark store than a store like Dollar General or one of the other dollar stores.

User avatar
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by Pixie » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:51 pm

falvegas wrote:
Pixie wrote::clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I can't tell you how excited I am to get YOUR recipe for Prime Rib!!!!!!!!!! It's a Falvegas original!!!!!!!

Very cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I only have a few recipes that I have created from scratch... all my other recipes started out as recipes I took from a cookbook, or online and then reworked to suit my tastes as time went on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so excited to have an "Original" :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

:wave: I hope you're having a good weekend!!!!!!!!!!!

I wrapped 50% of my Christmas gifts today and I have a few things to pick up in order to finish the wrapping of the other 50%!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After church, tomorrow, I'll stop at a Hallmark and pick up the rest of the wrapping paper, etc.!!!!!!!!!!
Finished decorating my place today, sent several packages out a week ago. Can't bring much on the airplane or it'll cost me more than they're worth. Temperature dropped to 50 today..Yuk! There's a storm coming in, I can see it over the mountains. New England may be worse. My sisters go to Hallmark the day after. My brother and I have to bring a couple of trucks with us to haul it all back. I think my older sister has $ 4 to $5 thousand in hallmark ornaments over the years. Some are worth quite a lot.

I know...blah, blah,blah...

Anyway, I meant to mention that that recipe I've done so many times I entered it from memory. several approximations because I just 'do it' almost without thinking. It's an old crumbled note in the New York Times Cookbook. The note I meant to ADD was: If guests have various requirements for Well Done or Rare, I ask the Butcher to cut the roast from the small end which is uaually tapered so one end will be cooked a bit more than the other. And I can always put the smaller end in the oven to complete. Also, I usually dont crack the bones for stock, I serve them with the meal most of the time. This is the meal I'll make New Years, back here. I'll work on reviewing it and post it again then. Tomorrow I'll start packing.

Above all, enjoy your weekend. :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
Oh, I haven't really stopped to realize that with you going East to be with your family that you might be offline for a while???????

When do you leave and should we expect not to see/hear from you while you're gone?????? If you don't tell us we're going to worry!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lolh: :embarrassed:

Okay, I copied the recipe but I'll watch for the edit and then I'll copy the recipe again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

User avatar
falvegas
Posts: 7939
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:14 am

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by falvegas » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:47 pm

pixie wrote: Oh, I haven't really stopped to realize that with you going East to be with your family that you might be offline for a while???????
When do you leave and should we expect not to see/hear from you while you're gone??????


Oh no. I expect to haunt you relentlessly until they block me.... Actually, even if they lost power in New England (which happened the other day) I'll stay on line. As long as I have a Battery and a Sat Connect. The problem may be getting in, weather is going to turn there in a few days. I may have to leave early......

I'll check in on you guys time to time. So, Pix, did you finish the 12 day Cookie Marathon? Was it a contest, if not, why not? Regardless, send it to Vantage press and publish it........

On the Prime Rib, it's a very forgiving recipe but I will spend a little time with it because I've been meaning to get that in my files for a long time, and several have asked for it. To me it's just not complicated enough to have to refer to it, and it's forgiving, even if you slip.

I'm inside today, still packing so I take as few bags as possible. Temperature got to 40 last night so I'm feeding the fireplace.

User avatar
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by Pixie » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Image Okay, good!!!! I'm glad you'll be around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do know that they have had some very bad weather!!!! I hope you don't have to leave early!!!!!!! That would seem so unfair!!!!!!!!! I know you're going to have a WONDERFUL time!!!!!!!

No, the Twelve Days of Christmas Cookies wasn't a contest!!!!!!! But it was fun, wasn't it!!!!!! I get excited about it every year!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did save the link you posted to the 25 Days of Christmas Cookies and I've copied quite a few of the recipes to my files so that I might try them over the next year!!!!!!! Also, I copied two or three of the recipes for the cookies from the Gourmet link you posted... I'm sorry, I can't remember what that was called... something like "1940 - 2008 Christmas Cookies in Review"????????

Well, this is my last full week of work until after the New Year so I'm excited! I'm a bit tired so I'm ready for the end of the year and several days off!!!!!!!!

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

User avatar
falvegas
Posts: 7939
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:14 am

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by falvegas » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:15 pm

Pixie wrote:Image Okay, good!!!! I'm glad you'll be around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do know that they have had some very bad weather!!!! I hope you don't have to leave early!!!!!!! That would seem so unfair!!!!!!!!! I know you're going to have a WONDERFUL time!!!!!!!

No, the Twelve Days of Christmas Cookies wasn't a contest!!!!!!! But it was fun, wasn't it!!!!!! I get excited about it every year!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did save the link you posted to the 25 Days of Christmas Cookies and I've copied quite a few of the recipes to my files so that I might try them over the next year!!!!!!! Also, I copied two or three of the recipes for the cookies from the Gourmet link you posted... I'm sorry, I can't remember what that was called... something like "1940 - 2008 Christmas Cookies in Review"????????

Well, this is my last full week of work until after the New Year so I'm excited! I'm a bit tired so I'm ready for the end of the year and several days off!!!!!!!!

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
I'm off for 4 weeks, and I look forward to it, always do. After Christmas we'll be back here for New Years and we'll all sail out to Avalon on Catalina Island for a few days and just relax. :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars:

Still, you should publish...Christmas with Pixie, 2000 Recipes

User avatar
falvegas
Posts: 7939
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:14 am

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by falvegas » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:44 pm

Caesar Salad

Prepare Ahead
** 2 Cups Salad Croutons. If making your own, make them ahead and refrigerate. If Store bought, use Garlic or Parmesan Croutons.
** Boil 1 Egg, large, to hard cooked. Remove & reserve Yolk. Can reserve Egg to use fresh Egg Yolk (Optional)
** 2 heads Romaine lettuce, rough outer leaves removed. Separate heart leaves, wash, dry and place between a towel or thick paper towels and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
** Rub a large Salad Bowl well on inside with 2 or 3 split Garlic Cloves. Discard garlic.
Dressing
3 Garlic Cloves
3 TBS Lemon Juice
3 Anchovy Fillets (optional) You won’t taste raw Anchovy in the dressing
3 TBS Olive Oil
1 TBS Dijon Mustard
½ Tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 Egg Yolk (or use hard cooked egg yolk, previous)
** Blend till smooth in a processor or blender, cover and chill (up to 1 day) I do this by hand
Prepare Salad
¼ Cup Parmesan Cheese, fresh, grated. Can also use parmesan curls.
Fresh ground pepper
** Tear Romaine into salad pieces (about 10 Cups)
** Add Romaine and Croutons to the rubbed Salad Bowl.
** Pour in Dressing and toss lightly to coat.
** Sprinkle with the Parmesan Cheese, toss gently.
** Grate pepper over salad when presented in individual serving plates.

NOTE: With this salad I always make more dressing than I need. I also mix the Parmesan Cheese in with the Salad Dressing, making everything in advance.
I make my own Garlic Croutons and freeze them in Coffee Cans days in advance. I do use a raw egg yolk but some are squeamish so use the cooked egg yolk or substitute a few TBS of Mayo.

Add 2 Cups of Cubed Chicken Breast to this (Grilled or Broiled or Poached) and it’s a dinner or lunch.

User avatar
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:19 am

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Pixie wrote:

After church, tomorrow, I'll stop at a Hallmark and pick up the rest of the wrapping paper, etc.!!!!!!!!!!
Wrapping paper is so much more expensive at the Hallmark store than a store like Dollar General or one of the other dollar stores.

:wave: CY1!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry I didn't see your post before now!!!!! I used to have a Dollar store close by but it closed and I don't have one within 15 - 20 miles of me!!!!!!!

:shock:

User avatar
falvegas
Posts: 7939
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:14 am

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by falvegas » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:13 am

Yer not gonna believe this. It's snowing in Las Vegas. Snow will be down to 2000 feet altitude, I'm at 3000 feet altitude so it may continue most of the day. Just yesterday I watched the hummingbirds outside my window.

User avatar
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:30 am

falvegas wrote:Yer not gonna believe this. It's snowing in Las Vegas. Snow will be down to 2000 feet altitude, I'm at 3000 feet altitude so it may continue most of the day. Just yesterday I watched the hummingbirds outside my window.

WOW!!!!!!!!!! We have heavy rains and it's 56 degrees!!!!!!!! It's going to fall to 16 tonight!!!!!!!!

:noparty: :noparty: :noparty: :noparty: :noparty:

User avatar
falvegas
Posts: 7939
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:14 am

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by falvegas » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:51 am

Pixie wrote:
falvegas wrote:Yer not gonna believe this. It's snowing in Las Vegas. Snow will be down to 2000 feet altitude, I'm at 3000 feet altitude so it may continue most of the day. Just yesterday I watched the hummingbirds outside my window.

WOW!!!!!!!!!! We have heavy rains and it's 56 degrees!!!!!!!! It's going to fall to 16 tonight!!!!!!!!

:noparty: :noparty: :noparty: :noparty: :noparty:
16? That's uncivilized.
Coldest I ever was, Fairbanks Alaska it was 62 below zero. Got of the plane in a sports jacket and had to walk 200 yards to the terminal. I had planned to get my parka out of my luggage...the best made plans.

User avatar
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:18 pm

falvegas wrote:
Pixie wrote:
falvegas wrote:Yer not gonna believe this. It's snowing in Las Vegas. Snow will be down to 2000 feet altitude, I'm at 3000 feet altitude so it may continue most of the day. Just yesterday I watched the hummingbirds outside my window.

WOW!!!!!!!!!! We have heavy rains and it's 56 degrees!!!!!!!! It's going to fall to 16 tonight!!!!!!!!

:noparty: :noparty: :noparty: :noparty: :noparty:
16? That's uncivilized.
Coldest I ever was, Fairbanks Alaska it was 62 below zero. Got of the plane in a sports jacket and had to walk 200 yards to the terminal. I had planned to get my parka out of my luggage...the best made plans.
I have been running in 30 below WINDCHILL FACTOR. That's cold! My breath froze to my mask!!!!!! I can't imagine being in 62 below zero DEGREES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not sure but I think I'd die!!!!!!!

:lolh:

User avatar
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:26 pm

Here's something for the chololate lover!!!!!!!!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ghiradelli Individual Chocolate Lava Cakes
Yield: 6 Servings

• 1 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar
• 1/2 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar
• 2 eggs
• 1/4 cup(s) heavy cream
• 8 tablespoon(s) (1 stick) unsalted butter
• 2 egg yolks
• 1/3 cup(s) sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
• 1/4 cup(s) cake flour

Directions

To make centers, melt 2 ounces of chocolate (1/2 a baking bar) and cream in double boiler. Whisk gently to blend. Refrigerate about 2 hours or until firm. Form into 6 balls; refrigerate until needed.

To make cake, heat oven to 400°F. Spray six 4-ounce ramekins or custard cups with cooking spray. Melt 4 ounces of chocolate (1 baking bar) and butter in double boiler; whisk gently to blend. With an electric mixer, whisk eggs, yolks, sugar, and vanilla on high speed about 5 minutes or until thick and light. Fold melted chocolate mixture and flour into egg mixture just until combined. Spoon cake batter into ramekins. Place a chocolate ball in the middle of each ramekin.

Bake about 15 minutes or until cake is firm to the touch. Let it sit out of the oven for about 5 minutes. Run a small, sharp knife around inside of each ramekin, place a plate on top, invert and remove ramekin. Garnish with raspberries and a dollop of whipped cream.

Products used in this recipe:

• 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar
• 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar

User avatar
falvegas
Posts: 7939
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:14 am

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by falvegas » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:25 pm

Had to get to the Chocolate didn't ya. I get these Couverture from Trader Joes, 71% cocoa butter, and keep them in the Frig to snack on from time to time. And there's the Godiva I get free which are dangerous.

It's OK, Chocolate is good for you, very good for you, especially psychologically.......

Image

Double-Chocolate Bread Pudding
(Buckeye Roadhouse)
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
4 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
5 large egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup dark rum
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 ounces semisweet chocolate
6 cups firmly packed 1/2-inch-diced challah or white bread (remove crusts from bread before dicing)
Chocolate Sauce
6 ounce semisweet chocolate, chopped
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon brandy
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skinned, and chopped for garnish
Lightly whipped heavy cream for serving

** Combine the milk, cream, and milk chocolate in a medium saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat until the chocolate is completely melted. Remove from the heat.
** Combine the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl and whisk for about 5 minutes, or until pale yellow and a slowly dissolving ribbon forms on the surface when the whisk is lifted. Gradually whisk the chocolate mixture into the egg yolks. Stir in the rum, vanilla, and salt. Set the custard aside to cool.
** Melt the semisweet chocolate in a large stainless-steel bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water. Remove from the heat and evenly fold in the bread. Pour the custard over the bread and let soak for 30 minutes.
Preheat an oven to 350°F.
** Butter 6 (6-ounce) ramekins or a 9-by-13-inch gratin dish. Pour the mixture into the dish(es), cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until set. Uncover and bake for another 5 minutes.
** Make the chocolate sauce: Combine the semisweet chocolate, butter, corn syrup, and brandy in a double boiler over barely simmering water. Stir until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in the cream. Keep the chocolate sauce in a double warmer off the heat to keep warm.

Serve the bread pudding hot, topped with a spoonful of warm chocolate sauce, a sprinkling of toasted hazelnuts, and a dollop of whipped cream.

User avatar
falvegas
Posts: 7939
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:14 am

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by falvegas » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:39 pm

Been snowing all day...believe that????? :sad: :sad: :grrr: :grrr: :wait: :wait: :stress: :stress: :hmm:

User avatar
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:32 pm

falvegas wrote:Had to get to the Chocolate didn't ya. I get these Couverture from Trader Joes, 71% cocoa butter, and keep them in the Frig to snack on from time to time. And there's the Godiva I get free which are dangerous.

It's OK, Chocolate is good for you, very good for you, especially psychologically.......

Image

Double-Chocolate Bread Pudding
(Buckeye Roadhouse)
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
4 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
5 large egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup dark rum
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 ounces semisweet chocolate
6 cups firmly packed 1/2-inch-diced challah or white bread (remove crusts from bread before dicing)
Chocolate Sauce
6 ounce semisweet chocolate, chopped
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon brandy
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skinned, and chopped for garnish
Lightly whipped heavy cream for serving

** Combine the milk, cream, and milk chocolate in a medium saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat until the chocolate is completely melted. Remove from the heat.
** Combine the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl and whisk for about 5 minutes, or until pale yellow and a slowly dissolving ribbon forms on the surface when the whisk is lifted. Gradually whisk the chocolate mixture into the egg yolks. Stir in the rum, vanilla, and salt. Set the custard aside to cool.
** Melt the semisweet chocolate in a large stainless-steel bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water. Remove from the heat and evenly fold in the bread. Pour the custard over the bread and let soak for 30 minutes.
Preheat an oven to 350°F.
** Butter 6 (6-ounce) ramekins or a 9-by-13-inch gratin dish. Pour the mixture into the dish(es), cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until set. Uncover and bake for another 5 minutes.
** Make the chocolate sauce: Combine the semisweet chocolate, butter, corn syrup, and brandy in a double boiler over barely simmering water. Stir until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in the cream. Keep the chocolate sauce in a double warmer off the heat to keep warm.

Serve the bread pudding hot, topped with a spoonful of warm chocolate sauce, a sprinkling of toasted hazelnuts, and a dollop of whipped cream.

Oh, my gosh!!!!!!!!!! This sounds so wonderful I want to make it right now!!!!!!!!!! I have everything except the challah!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oops, I don't have hazelnuts... I have almonds!!!!!!!!! :noparty:

:clap2: :pixie: :clap2: :pixie: :clap2:

User avatar
Fatherducque
Posts: 21958
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:26 pm
Location: Je suis Charlie
Contact:

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by Fatherducque » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:24 pm

The Clan has spoken. Smoked turkey and slow cooked pork picnic shoulder will be served. They will supply the rest, from green beans to redfish sauce piquante.

User avatar
falvegas
Posts: 7939
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:14 am

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by falvegas » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:42 pm

Fatherducque wrote:The Clan has spoken. Smoked turkey and slow cooked pork picnic shoulder will be served. They will supply the rest, from green beans to redfish sauce piquante.
Ooooo...Redfish Sauce Piquante. I once had a Turtle Sauce Piquante out in Cajun country, with frogs legs. They were the ones who first taught me to cook, and about layered cooking. I went to New Orleans 6 or 7 times a year for 5 years when I was at the Space Center.

User avatar
falvegas
Posts: 7939
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:14 am

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by falvegas » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:56 pm

Sometimes there's this fantasy of sitting by the fire and eating yourself into oblivion........

Chocolate desert with crème fresh (simplicity is flawless)
Image
All chocolate Boston Cream PieImage
Chocolate Pate with Cranberry Coulis
Image

Ingredients:
CRANBERRY COULIS
* 1 1/2 cups OCEAN SPRAY® Jellied Cranberry Sauce
* 3/4 cup OCEAN SPRAY® Cranberry Juice Cocktail
* 1 teaspoon lime juice
PATE
• 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
• 1 large egg yolk
• 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
• 1/3 cup light corn syrup
• 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• Whipped cream
Directions:
FOR CRANBERRY COULIS:
Place cranberry sauce, cranberry juice cocktail and lime juice in blender; cover. Blend until smooth. Refrigerate. Makes 1 3/4 cups.
FOR PATE:
Line 8 x 4-inch baking pan with plastic wrap. Combine 1/4 cup whipping cream and egg yolk in small bowl.
Combine morsels, corn syrup and butter in heavy-duty medium saucepan. Melt over lowest possible heat. When morsels begin to melt, remove from heat; stir. Return to heat for a few seconds at a time, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat. Add cream mixture to saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat for 1 minute. Let cool to room temperature.
Beat remaining cream and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until soft peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold chocolate mixture into the whipped cream. Pour into prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight or freeze 3 hours.
TO SERVE: spoon Cranberry Coulis on a dessert plate. Place a slice of Chocolate Pate on plate. Garnish with whipped cream.

User avatar
falvegas
Posts: 7939
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:14 am

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by falvegas » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:57 am

Lyons Fritters (Beignets) by Paul Bocuse
These French fritters remind me of the Beignets of New Orleans, and the Italian Zapoli but this uses no yeast. In Lyons France they’re served on Holidays and Mardi Gras. Tall mounds are served dusted with powdered sugar. (they keep very well if there are any left)
3 2/4 Cups Flour
3 Eggs
¼ Cup Sugar, granulated
½ Tsp Salt
1 heaping Tsp Baking Powder
1 Stick Butter, broken into 20 pieces
2 TBS Dark Rum
2 Quarts Oil (for frying)
Confectioners Sugar (for dusting when serving)

** Place Flour in large Bowl, push against sides making a well in the middle.
** Place Eggs, Sugar, Salt, baking Powder, Butter and Rum in the well.
** beat Flour with a spoon as it falls into the well from the sides until it becomes thick, difficult to stir.
** Knead with hands until smooth. Place on a lightly floured surface, cover and let sit for 2 hours before making fritters.
Heat Oil in a deep fat Fryer
** Spread out paper towels for draining fritters
** Line a large basket or Bowl with a clean Cloth
** On a lightly floured surface Roll Out 1/3 of the Dough at a time into a Thin Sheet
** Using Cookie Cutters, Knife or Pastry Wheel, to cut dough into squares, triangles, any shape desired. Usually they’re varied in shape and size, many irregular.
** Drop a little Dough into hot oil. If it surfaces quickly and begins to brown, the oil is ready.
** fry 6 to 8 Fritters at a time depending on size of fryer. Fry about 2 Minutes on a side until golden brown. Remove, place on paper towels and continue.
** When 1st batch has drained, place them in the basket prepared earlier
** Sprinkle with Confectioners Sugar and fold the Towel over them to keep warm
These can be served warm or room temperature, and can be made ahead of time.

Hot Apple Toddy (6 or 7 servings)
This recipe is from the Heritage Cookbook, a volume of Recipes taken from early American times, gathered from old manuscripts, early cookbooks, traveler’s notes and such. This is original as possible so it doesn’t have some of the new things in it like Calvados, Mint etc.
4 Cups Apple Cider
2 TBS Brown Sugar, packed
12 Cloves, whole
3 Inches Cinnamon stick
1/8 Tsp Nutmeg, ground
2 Apples, large, cored, peeled, quartered
1 Cup Brandy
¼ Cup Dark Rum
Butter
** In a Saucepan mix Apple Juice, Sugar and Spices, simmer covered for 20 minutes
** Add the Apples and simmer covered until tender (~10 minutes)
** Strain and return to the Saucepan
** Add the Liquors and heat through
** Place an Apple Quarter and a Dot of Butter in each Mug ans pour in Toddy

Caramel-Swirl Hot Chocolate bon appetit

Image

Ingredients
5 cups water
5 3-ounce bars milk chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup plus 1 cup chilled whipping cream
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
3 tablespoons prepared caramel sauce
Preparation
Bring 5 cups water and chocolate to simmer in medium saucepan, stirring to dissolve chocolate. Mix in 1/4 cup cream. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer, stirring frequently, before continuing.)
Whip 1 cup cream and powdered sugar in medium bowl until peaks form. Drizzle caramel over and swirl together, forming streaks (do not overmix).
Divide hot chocolate among 6 mugs. Top with generous amount of caramel whipped cream and serve.

Spiced Hot Chocolate

Ingredients
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup golden brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 oz chopped bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Garnish: whipped cream, cinnamon sticks
Preparation
Whisk milk, brown sugar, and whipping cream in heavy large saucepan over medium heat until mixture begins to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low; add cocoa powder, chocolate, and cinnamon; whisk until chocolate is melted and smooth. Pour hot chocolate into 6 demitasse cups. Garnish each with whipped cream and a cinnamon stick.

User avatar
Fatherducque
Posts: 21958
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:26 pm
Location: Je suis Charlie
Contact:

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by Fatherducque » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:35 am

falvegas wrote:
Fatherducque wrote:The Clan has spoken. Smoked turkey and slow cooked pork picnic shoulder will be served. They will supply the rest, from green beans to redfish sauce piquante.
Ooooo...Redfish Sauce Piquante. I once had a Turtle Sauce Piquante out in Cajun country, with frogs legs. They were the ones who first taught me to cook, and about layered cooking. I went to New Orleans 6 or 7 times a year for 5 years when I was at the Space Center.
I wish I could suggest an equivalent fish for a sauce piquante. We use the larger (27"+) reds for this dish, so we have large chunks of fish in it. I think it would be a waste to use snapper, but a large Blue Catfish (a species) should work as would maybe a striped bass. We have such good raw materials down here. I take the slabs of redfish in the freezer for granted.

BIL cooks it and has no recipe, but I note that there are at least 3-4 quartered lemons floating around in it.

User avatar
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by Pixie » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:40 am

Oh, wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can tell it's Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything looks soooooo beautiful!!!!!!!!! I want one of each!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lolh: :clap2: :cheer: :clap2: :cheer: :clap2: :cheer: :clap2: :lolh:

User avatar
falvegas
Posts: 7939
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:14 am

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by falvegas » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:22 pm

Pixie wrote:Oh, wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can tell it's Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything looks soooooo beautiful!!!!!!!!! I want one of each!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lolh: :clap2: :cheer: :clap2: :cheer: :clap2: :cheer: :clap2: :lolh:
I Know, I know...I need a piece of each, like now. But just a little piece.
Problem is I can't find the recipe for two of them.

Storm moving east, changed my flight.............

User avatar
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by Pixie » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:02 pm

falvegas wrote:
Pixie wrote:Oh, wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can tell it's Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything looks soooooo beautiful!!!!!!!!! I want one of each!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lolh: :clap2: :cheer: :clap2: :cheer: :clap2: :cheer: :clap2: :lolh:
I Know, I know...I need a piece of each, like now. But just a little piece.
Problem is I can't find the recipe for two of them.

Storm moving east, changed my flight.............
Oooooooooh, is this good or bad news; did you move the flight up or back???? :sad:

Post Reply