Christmas Dinners

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Christmas Dinners

Post by Pixie » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:07 pm

:) :) :) :) :) Here's the recipe for this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

All-Chocolate Boston Cream Pie
Submitted by: HersheysKitchens.com
Yields: 8 servings

"Chocolate cake is filled with cocoa cream and coated with Satiny Chocolate Glaze."

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1/3 cup HERSHEY®'S Cocoa Powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
6 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups light cream
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup HERSHEY®'S Cocoa Powder
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon corn syrup
2 tablespoons
HERSHEY®'S Cocoa Powder
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:

1. Heat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour one 9-inch round baking pan.
2. Stir together flour, sugar, cocoa and baking soda in large bowl. Add butter, milk, egg and vanilla. Beat on low speed of mixer until all ingredients are moistened. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Prepare Chocolate Filling. Cut cake into two thin layers. Place one layer on serving plate; spread filling over layer. Top with remaining layer.
4. Prepare Satiny Chocolate Glaze. Pour onto top of cake, allowing some to drizzle down sides. Refrigerate until serving time. Cover; refrigerate leftover cake. 8 servings.
5. Chocolate Filling: Stir together sugar, cocoa and cornstarch in medium bowl; gradually stir in light cream. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and begins to boil. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface. Cool completely.
6. Satiny Chocolate Glaze: Heat water, butter and corn syrup in small saucepan to boiling. Remove from heat; immediately stir in cocoa. With whisk, gradually beat in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth; cool slightly.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

:pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/All-Chocol ... etail.aspx

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:13 pm

I'm not doing very well with this one!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:42 pm

Oh yes Thank You Thank You Thank You...............

I have this weakness for Boston Cream Pie, and if it just happens to be ALL Chocolate........they'll be wheeling me out.
I think when God made Chocolate he said, Whooops...should have saved that one for myself.

Changed it from Thursday to Satarday at 5AM.....I'm good

Mountains are now all 'white' out my window. Snow here is melted, may be on it's way again

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:48 pm

falvegas wrote:Oh yes Thank You Thank You Thank You...............

I have this weakness for Boston Cream Pie, and if it just happens to be ALL Chocolate........they'll be wheeling me out.
I think when God made Chocolate he said, Whooops...should have saved that one for myself.

Changed it from Thursday to Satarday at 5AM.....I'm good

Mountains are now all 'white' out my window. Snow here is melted, may be on it's way again
:) :wave: :) I'm glad I was able to find the recipe!!!!!!!!!! I can't find a recipe for the second one though??? :sad:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:03 pm

Dinner the Day after Christmas:
My Brother ordered 18 Quail, so he’ll put me to work. But this isn’t work at all. I’ll cook them on a wood-fired grill he has in front of the fireplace. The Day after Christmas we go to his mini-farm. His open hearth fireplace has an oven and a grill in front. We’re going to cook and eat at the Fireplace.

This is the menu we’ve planned, most everything prepared, mise en place

** Potato Pie with Yukon Gold’s: My sister makes this with cooked slices of Yukon Potatoes, and an Egg, Cream, Cheese, Herb filling layered inside a full pie crust (a Potato Quiche with a top). I’ll warm these in the fireplace oven.
** Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts: (this is my concoction) Ahead of time, I’ll steam Sprouts for 5 minutes. I’ll Puree Walnuts to a paste and whisk into Oil in a skillet. The Sprouts are added to the Walnut Paste to coat then placed in a cast iron pot, and baked at the Fireplace, finished when the Quail are done.
** Grilled Quail with Wine/Spice Baste: (semi boneless Quail) Ahead, I’ll make a Baste of Red Wine, quick sautéed in Dry Mustard & Garlic, Thyme & Rosemary, Salt & pepper.
Cooking: Quail are Basted then Grilled 1 minute/side at the fireplace. I’ll transfer Quail to an 18 inch skillet (on the grill) with Figs (halved) and sauté with remaining Baste, about 12 minutes.
** Persimmon Pudding: This puppy belongs to my younger Sister. Puree ripe Persimmons (2 cups). Blend with; 2 Eggs, 2 Cups Brown Sugar, 2 Cups Milk, Vanilla, and 2 to 2 ½ Cups Flour. Pour into Ramekins in a water bath, and bake in fireplace oven. I think it’s about an hour, while we’re eating. Top with cream. This is approximate, only watched her make it.

So the Potato Pie will be made ahead, the Sprouts and Quail cooked at the fireplace (15 to 20 minutes), and the Pudding finished while eating. It’s just a plan right now but we’ll make it work..

I’ll serve Quail on a large platter of crinkly lettuce or frisee, and surround it with the Figs. The cooking juices will be strained and poured over the Quail. Sprouts will be served on the side with remaining Walnut sauce from the pan, topped with some chopped Walnuts.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:25 pm

This sounds wonderful! While I love all of the recipes and the menu I especially love the Quail and the Persimmon Pudding recipes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're going to have so much fun!!!!!!!! Do you take any of your equipment with you to your sister's?????

:wave:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:25 pm

Pixie wrote:This sounds wonderful! While I love all of the recipes and the menu I especially love the Quail and the Persimmon Pudding recipes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're going to have so much fun!!!!!!!! Do you take any of your equipment with you to your sister's?????

:wave:
No, in fact I'll have to pay for one package on the plane. My younger sister cooks much as I do, has really good basic stuff. She has the 18 inch skillet for the Qail. It may be a Paella Pan. I do need to get one of those.

My brother's little farm is an hour away in New Hampshire but if the weather is bad we'll be going in on snowmobiles, if at all. The farmhouse was my grandmothers. My brother took over after she died. He rebuilt much of it, and modernized the Stone Fireplace, it's huge. He built a 10 foot long arched stone bench in front of the harth, and added a wood fired grill at the harth. It's a great gathering place for us. There will be nine of us. It's only for a day or two.

Probably won't firm up that menu until I get there.

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:33 am

Hey Falvegas where are you going to be in New England?

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:53 am

abbi wrote:Hey Falvegas where are you going to be in New England?
About 18 miles outside of Boston. I'll be there until the day after Christmas, then we're off to New Hampshire for a couple days, just over the border, outside of Nashua. It's a major gathering for us, and I always end up with half a dozen guys I havent seen for awhile wanting to tip a few. I'm watching the weather carefully right now, make sure I'll get in.

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:56 am

falvegas wrote:
About 18 miles outside of Boston. I'll be there until the day after Christmas, then we're off to New Hampshire for a couple days, just over the border, outside of Nashua. It's a major gathering for us, and I always end up with half a dozen guys I havent seen for awhile wanting to tip a few. I'm watching the weather carefully right now, make sure I'll get in.
Wow. I live in Massachusetts and my sister lives in Nashua. Small world.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:03 am

abbi wrote:
falvegas wrote:
WoW! Red Neck Woman in with the Yankees....... :teehee:

We were born and brought up right between Lexington and Concord (my avatar) . My brother is in Bedford MA, and has as place over in Hollis NH.

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:42 am

falvegas wrote:
abbi wrote:
falvegas wrote:

We were born and brought up right between Lexington and Concord (my avatar) . My brother is in Bedford MA, and has as place over in Hollis NH.
Yeah, I was obviously born in the wrong part of the country. :teehee: I live in Hanson. How long will you be here?

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:13 am

abbi wrote:
falvegas wrote:
abbi wrote:
falvegas wrote:

Yeah, I was obviously born in the wrong part of the country. :teehee: I live in Hanson. How long will you be here?
Oh ya, South Shore Girl, down by Brockton. When in college we sometimes had Beach Parties in Marshfield and Duxbury. Most of our time was spent on the North Shore, clam bakes at Cranes Beach, and we'd go sailing out of Marblehead.

As I posted, I'll be there until 2 days after Christmas, then I fly back. 2 days later my brothers and sisters come back to my house (they were here Christmas) for our new years party. I posted the recipes in here.

My sisters get a rush from Las Vegas, several hundred thousand show up here for New Years, and the Fire Works which go from one end of the valley to the other.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:26 am

So who said Chicken isn’t for Christmas? Not me! One can still get Chicken and Ham for under a dollar a pound. All one has to do is dress it up as you would any other dish. Here’re some ideas:

Roast Chicken with Rosemary and Lemon
All you have to do is garnish this Platter with Red Grapes, Grape Tomatoes, whatever Red, and it’s Christmas. Substitute Sage and Orange Juice for the Rosemary & Lemon or your preference.
Ingredients
1. 1 chicken (3 to 3 1/2 pounds)
2. 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
3. Salt
4. Fresh-ground black pepper
5. 4 3-inch-long strips lemon zest
6. 1 small onion, quartered
7. 1 tablespoon olive oil
8. 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
9. 1/2 cup water
Directions
1. Heat the oven to 425°. Rub the cavity of the chicken with the dried rosemary, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and then stuff with the strips of lemon zest and the quartered onion. Twist the wings behind the back of the chicken and tie the legs together. Put the chicken, breast-side up, in a roasting pan. Coat the chicken with the oil and sprinkle it with 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1/8 teaspoon of pepper, and the 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
2. Roast the chicken until it is just done, 50 to 60 minutes. Transfer the bird to a plate and leave to rest in a warm spot for about 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, pour off the fat from the roasting pan. Set the pan over moderate heat and add the water. Bring to a boil, scraping the bottom of the pan to dislodge any brown bits. Boil until reduced to approximately 1/4 cup, about 4 minutes. Add any accumulated juices from the chicken along with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Serve the bird with the pan juices.

CORNISH GAME HENS WITH SAGE BUTTER

Ingredients
• 4 (1 3/4-pound) Cornish game hens, butterflied
• 1 stick butter, softened
• 5 to 7 sage leaves, finely chopped
• 1 lemon, zested
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Olive oil, for sauteing
• 4 strips bacon, chopped
Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Place hens on a sheet tray fitted with a cooling rack in the refrigerator to dry skin out for 1 hour. Meanwhile, in a small pan over medium heat, melt butter with sage, zest, salt and pepper. Remove hens from refrigerator. Preheat 2 large saute pans over medium heat, lightly coat with oil. Season hens with salt and pepper and sear, skin side down, in the pans. Sear until skin caramelizes and turns golden brown and crispy, about 7 to 10 minutes. Flip birds over, and baste with sage butter. Sprinkle tops with chopped bacon and place in preheated oven to finish cooking, 25 to 30 minutes, basting occasionally. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.

Honey Game Hens
(Paula Deen)
Ingredients
• 6 Cornish game hens (about 3/4 to 1 pound each)
• 4 cloves garlic, chopped
• 1 (1-inch) piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
• 1/2 cup soy sauce
• 1/2 cup honey
• 2 tablespoons peanut oil
• 2 tablespoons orange juice
• 1 tablespoon orange zest, minced
Directions
Rinse hens, trim off excess fat, and pat dry; place in bowl. Put garlic and ginger in food processor and process until nearly smooth. In another bowl, combine soy sauce, honey, oil, orange juice, and zest. Add the garlic and ginger. Pour mixture over game hens, coating well. Refrigerate overnight, turning in marinade several times.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place game hens in shallow roasting pan; pour marinade on top. Bake for 1 hour, basting every 15 minutes. Remove hens to serving platter. Pour cooking juices into small, heavy saucepan and boil for 4 minutes, or until sauce thickens. Pour over hens just before serving. Serve with sesame noodles or rice pilaf. These hens can also be grilled; just remember to baste often.

Asian Cornish Hens with Asparagus and Portobello Mushrooms

Ingredients
1. 6 tablespoons soy sauce
2. 1/4 cup lime juice (from about 2 limes)
3. 1/4 cup cooking oil
4. 4 cloves garlic, minced
5. 1 teaspoon ground ginger
6. 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
7. 1/4 teaspoon salt
8. 2 Cornish hens (about 1 1/4 pounds each), halved
9. 1 pound asparagus
10. 2/3 pound portobello mushrooms, stems removed, caps cut into 1/4-inch slices, or 6 ounces sliced portobello mushrooms
Directions
1. Light the grill. In a small glass or stainless-steel bowl, combine the soy sauce, lime juice, oil, garlic, ginger, pepper, and salt. Put the hens into two large glass dishes. Pour 1/2 cup of the marinade over them and turn to coat. Let marinate, turning once, for 10 minutes.
2. Cook the hens over moderate heat for 12 minutes. Turn and cook until just done, about 12 minutes longer.
3. Meanwhile, snap off and discard the tough ends of the asparagus. In a medium bowl, toss the asparagus spears with 2 tablespoons of the remaining marinade and grill for about 12 minutes, turning once.
4. In the same bowl, toss the mushrooms with the remaining 2 tablespoons marinade and grill for about 5 minutes per side. Serve the hens with the asparagus and mushrooms alongside.

CORNISH HENS & FIG GLAZE --CORNBREAD STUFFING
(Tyler Florence)
Now this one gets a bit involved, closer to what one would do at Thanksgiving.

Ingredients
• 1 1/2 cups dried California figs, pitted and roughly chopped
• 1/4 cup honey
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 3 cups warm water
• 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
• 1 stick unsalted butter, for the glaze
• Kosher salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
Stuffing:
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary leaves
• 1/4 pound loose sweet Italian sausage
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 4 cornbread muffins , torn into pieces, or 1/2 loaf cornbread, cubed (about 2 cups)
• 1 cup rehydrated dried figs, roughly chopped
• Salt
• Pepper
• 1/2 egg, lightly beaten
• 1/4 cup heavy cream
• 1/2 cup chicken stock, homemade or store-bought
• 4 Cornish game hens, 1 to 1 1/2 pounds each
• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
• Kosher salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
** Begin by re-hydrating the figs. In a large mixing bowl add the figs, honey, lemon juice and cover with warm water. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 20 to 25 minutes until the figs are tender and soft. Strain the figs and reserve the liquid - as this will be the base for the glaze.
** To make the stuffing, heat a little extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat and gently saute the onions with rosemary. Add the sweet Italian sausage and continue to saute until browned, 10 to 12 minutes. When done, scrape it all into a large mixing bowl, add the cornbread pieces and figs and season well with salt and pepper. Give it a good toss until it's well combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, cream, and stock, and pour that over the cornbread. Stir the stuffing together and set it aside while you work on the hens.
** Wash and clean the birds. Season the cavities with salt and pepper and fill with stuffing. Dot the top of each bird with butter and season with salt and pepper. Lay out on a roasting tray and pop into the oven for 40 to 45 minutes.
** While they are roasting, set the fig liquid over medium-high heat and add balsamic and butter. Reduce until syrupy and baste the birds with 10 minutes to go.
** When done, an instant-read thermometer should registers 160 degrees F in the thickest part of the thigh. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:28 am

:lolh: You know I love the Cornish Game Hen with Fig Glaze!!!!!!!!! :lolh:

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:11 am

Christmas Dinner - 2008

Roast Rack of Lamb w/Creole Mustard Crust and Rosemary Lamb Au Jus
Bourbon Honey Glazed Ham

Herb Potato Cake
Mashed Potatoes

Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Honey Apple glazed Carrots and Parsnips

Fall Salad
Apple Pomegrante Salad

Cresent Rolls (not Pillsbury)
Popovers

Black Forest Cake
Maple Pecan Tart
Apple Pie w/ homemade cinnamon ice cream courtesy of by brother-in-law
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I realized I posted our Christmas Eve Appetizer Party but I didn't post our Christmas Dinner!!!!!!!!! We will have leftovers from the night before to munch on during the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Pixie on Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:18 am

Rack of Lamb with Creole Mustard Crust, Rosemary-Lamb Jus
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2003

1/4 cup dried fine bread crumbs
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2 1/2 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
1 rack of lamb (8 bones), trimmed and Frenched
2 tablespoons Creole mustard or other whole-grain mustard

Rosemary Jus, recipe follows

Combine the bread crumbs, basil, rosemary, thyme, oil, and 1 teaspoon of the Essence in a shallow bowl, and mix well.

Season the rack on both sides with remaining Essence.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add the lamb, fat side down, and sear for 1 minute on each side, including the ends (5 minutes total time). Remove and let cool for 10 minutes.

Completely coat the meat with the mustard. Dredge in the herbed bread crumb mixture to evenly coat, packing the crust onto the meat. Place the lamb, fat side up, back in the saute pan and roast for 20 to 25 minutes for medium-rare, or an internal temperature of 135 degrees F.

Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes.

To serve, Spoon the jus onto each serving, and serve immediately.

Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup

Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This is the second year we've made this for Christmas!!!!!!!!!! It is SOOOOO good!!!!!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:21 am

Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch.
Published by William and Morrow, 1993.

Rosemary Jus:

2 teaspoons olive oil
2 tablespoons minced shallots
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups lamb stock, veal stock, or reduced chicken stock

Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the shallots, garlic, rosemary, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until reduced to 1 cup, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a small saucepan. Serve immediately, or cover to keep warm until ready to serve.

Yield: 1 cup
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Last year we were fortunate in that we were able to use Veal Stock for this recipe. This year we'll have to settle for Chicken Stock... I hope I don't see a difference in the richness but I think I will see a difference.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:26 am

Bourbon Honey Glazed Ham
Recipe courtesy Sandra Lee (2006)

2/3 cup bourbon or whiskey
1 cup clover honey
1/3 cup molasses
1/2 cup 100 percent fruit orange marmalade
Nonstick cooking spray
1 (5-pound) whole bone-in smoked ham, fully cooked, unsliced
1/8 cup whole cloves

In a medium saucepan, heat bourbon, honey, molasses, and marmalade over low heat for 15 minutes or until reduced by half, stirring occasionally. (When measuring honey and molasses, spray measuring cup with nonstick cooking spray to keep measurements accurate.) Set aside.

With a sharp knife, cut a diamond pattern on the fatty part of the ham. Stud whole cloves in each diamond, at points where lines cross. Spread half of the bourbon glaze over the ham and roast for 30 minutes, uncovered. Baste occasionally with remaining glaze and continue to roast for another 15 minutes. Let ham stand for 20 minutes before slicing.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
:lolh: this is the second Christmas we've made this recipe too!!!!!!!!! It's so easy and so good!!!!!!!! :embarrassed:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:29 pm

Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch.
Published by William and Morrow, 1993.

Herbed Potato Cake:
3/4 to 1 pound Idaho potatoes, peeled and grated
1/2 onion, grated
1 large egg
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons vegetable oil or clarified butter
Essence, recipe follows

Rinse the potatoes in a large bowl of water and drain well. Place in a dish towel and wring dry.

Place the potatoes in a large bowl and add the remaining ingredients except oil and Essence. Stir to mix well.

In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.

Pat the potato mixture into a large round, then press into a cake about 1/2-inch thick, squeezing out any excess moisture. Place in the skillet and cook until golden brown, about 6 minutes per side, turning twice.

Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels. Season lightly with Essence and serve hot.
Yield: 1 large cake (2 servings)

Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.

Yield: about 2/3 cup
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This is so good! We made this last year for Easter and now we're making it for Christmas! My sister's made this on Sundays, after church, for breakfast.
Last edited by Pixie on Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:06 pm

Honey Apple Glazed Carrots & Parsnips
Recipe Courtesy Sara Moulton

1 tablespoon butter
10 baby carrots
5 Parsnips
2/3 cup unsweetened apple juice
1 teaspoon honey
Salt and pepper

Peel the carrots and trim the tops. Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots to the skillet and saute until the carrots begin to brown slightly, about 8 minutes. Add apple juice and honey and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until carrots are tender and liquid is reduced to glaze, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:06 pm

Pixie wrote:Bourbon Honey Glazed Ham

1 cup clover honey
1/3 cup molasses
Nonstick cooking spray
1/8 cup whole cloves

In a medium saucepan, heat bourbon, honey, molasses, and marmalade over low heat for 15 minutes or until reduced by half, stirring occasionally. (When measuring honey and molasses, spray measuring cup with nonstick cooking spray to keep measurements accurate.) Set aside.

With a sharp knife, cut a diamond pattern on the fatty part of the ham. Stud whole cloves in each diamond, at points where lines cross. Spread half of the bourbon glaze over the ham and roast for 30 minutes, uncovered. Baste occasionally with remaining glaze and continue to roast for another 15 minutes. Let ham stand for 20 minutes before slicing.
:lolh: this is the second Christmas we've made this recipe too!!!!!!!!! It's so easy and so good!!!!!!!! :embarrassed:
Love Ham. And I like the Marmalade and Whiskey in that recipe.
Easter I may try the recipe: Ham with Bourbon, Molasses, and Pecan GlazeI
Almost made a ham for Thanksgiving this year, in fact I almost replaced the Turkey with 2 Capons. Always preferred Capon to Turkey...Waterfowl and Game Birds are the best...to me.

About 50/50 getting into Boston Tomorrow........

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:25 pm

I Haven't changed the Christmas Menu...Yet. Most of the recipes are posted in here, If I forgot anything you may be interested in let me know. No one asked about Hangtown Fry...I was surprised, it's from an 1849 Recipe for a prospector who struck it rich. I'll be leaving tomorrow, maybe.

Christmas Eve Day - Breakfast
* Hang Town Fry (request by my Brother)
* Mushroom-Tarragon Omelets & Cheese Omelets with Alder Smoked Bacon
* Pecan Muffins
* Coffee, Swiss Cocoa, and an assortment of fresh fruits

Christmas Eve Day-Lunch (people are running in and out)
* Platter of Mini Burgers Stuffed with Cheese (Recipe posted in here)
* Platter of mini Pepper Steak Sandwiches (recipe posted in here)
* Mounds of French Fries and Onion Rings with various dips
* Buckets of iced Beer, Wine, and Soft Drinks
* A pile of Standard Christmas Cookies on the Dining Room Table

Christmas Eve – Dinner (no more than 1 ½ hours in the kitchen)
* Lobster Dinner for 12 (recipe posted in here)
Boiled Lobsters with Vermouth Butter, Fresh Corn, Artichoke Pesto Fettuccini
* Blue Crab Cakes with Avocado Corn Salsa
* Lots of French Bread
* Champaign and fruit Sparkling Waters
* Chocolate Mousse for desert

Christmas Day – Breakfast (so many are up early, that means me)
* Strawberry Crepes (recipe posted in here)
* Pecan Sourdough Waffles with Pecan Butter (recipe posted in here)
* Alder Smoked Bacon

Christmas Day-Lunch (grab-and-run food all made in advance)
* 3 very large platters of Antipasto including:
Provolone-Asiago-Prosciutto Cheeses, Capicola, Salami, Soprasata, Mortadella, Italian Tuna, Olive Medley, Roasted Peppers, Pickled Peppers, Artichokes, Onions. Tomatoes, Italian Dressing (Recipe posted in here)
* Tons of Italian Bread and Rolls (Bruschettas with Spreds) (Recipe posted in here)
* A few Salsas, Salsa Verde, Pumpkin Seed/Corn Salsa & a mound of Corn Chips (Nieces & nephews request)
* Several wines, Chardonnay, Cabernet, and Por Do Sol (a desert wine)

Christmas Day – Dinner
* Shrimp Scampi(Recipe posted in here)
* Wine-Growers Steak (Recipe posted in here)
* Warm Potato Salad with Almonds and Avocado and Watercress (Recipe posted in here)
* Leeks au Gratin (Recipe posted in here)
* Salmon with Wasabi Mashed Potatoes and Spicy Cucumbers (for my Niece)
Desert: Wine Glasses filled with; Whipped Cream & Chambord filled with fresh Raspberries, topped with Chambord. (Recipe posted in here)
* A variety of wines, Merlot, Cabernet and Chardonnay, some sparling drinks
* A variety of my Sister’s Cakes
* Irish Coffee with Cream, Kahlua, and caramelized Orange

New Years Dinner
This will be back at my house with a Crusted Prime Rib dinner, including a Horseradish Muslin Sauce, au jous, Yorkshire Pudding, Potatoes Barboton, caramelized Green Beans, Caesar Salad, and Crème Brule with Raspberries

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:11 pm

falvegas wrote:I Haven't changed the Christmas Menu...Yet. Most of the recipes are posted in here, If I forgot anything you may be interested in let me know. No one asked about Hangtown Fry...I was surprised, it's from an 1849 Recipe for a prospector who struck it rich. I'll be leaving tomorrow, maybe.

* Pecan Muffins

* Lots of French Bread

* Alder Smoked Bacon

Provolone-Asiago-Prosciutto Cheeses, Capicola, Salami, Soprasata, Mortadella, Italian Tuna, Olive Medley, Roasted Peppers, Pickled Peppers, Artichokes, Onions. Tomatoes, Italian Dressing (Recipe posted in here)
* Tons of Italian Bread and Rolls (Bruschettas with Spreds) (Recipe posted in here)
* A few Salsas, Salsa Verde, Pumpkin Seed/Corn Salsa & a mound of Corn Chips (Nieces & nephews request)

Christmas Day – Dinner
* Warm Potato Salad with Almonds and Avocado and Watercress (Recipe posted in here)
Desert: Wine Glasses filled with; Whipped Cream & Chambord filled with fresh Raspberries, topped with Chambord. (Recipe posted in here)

New Years Dinner
This will be back at my house with a Crusted Prime Rib dinner, including a Horseradish Muslin Sauce, au jous, Yorkshire Pudding, Potatoes Barboton, caramelized Green Beans, Caesar Salad, and Crème Brule with Raspberries
I forgot, where do you live? :) I was just wondering if you had to take a bank loan out for all those ingredients? :shock:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:29 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
falvegas wrote:I Haven't changed the Christmas Menu...Yet. Most of the recipes are posted in here, If I forgot anything you may be interested in let me know. No one asked about Hangtown Fry...I was surprised, it's from an 1849 Recipe for a prospector who struck it rich. I'll be leaving tomorrow, maybe.

* Pecan Muffins

* Lots of French Bread

* Alder Smoked Bacon

Christmas Day – Dinner

New Years Dinner
I forgot, where do you live? :) I was just wondering if you had to take a bank loan out for all those ingredients? :shock:
Well, ConsrvYank1, I added a note in here that we have a big family (6 kids), and we ALL pitch in for the Holidays because they do get expensive. When we shop we are very, very frugal. And expensive items like the Lobsters, my brother gets from Lenox Mass from a Guy who works for him. Like 1/3 the price most pay for them. But we do live it up on Holidays.

Normally we have ham & eggs, tuna salads, and toasted cheese sandwiches like anyone else. We just put a lot of really neat things in the toasted cheese san's........ :wave:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:12 pm

The year our Father died, we didn’t give presents to each other, only to the children. What we gave each other was; each other. And what a feast we created, including the dishes that were everyone’s favorites. My brother’s kitchen is huge with two range tops, two double ovens, a warmer, and 60 cubic feet of refrigerator space. It makes mine look like a toy. But this was about being together. This was the Dinner Menu:
** A Raspberry Sorbet
** A Pear, Pecan and Smoked Trout Salad
** 2 Geese, 2 Ducks, and a Capon, roasted with various Stuffing’s & Glazes
** Two Gravies; one finished with Currents, the other Seasoned with Juniper
** Roast New Potatoes with Alder Smoked Bacon & crumbled Chestnuts
** Green Beans with Pine Nuts and Rosemary
** Pearl Onions & Whole Shallots caramelized with Vermont Maple Syrup
** Baked Acorn Squash with a Maple Syrup/Cranberry Glaze
** Oysters Rockefeller
** Tiramisu,, and a Crème Brule with Caramelized Pecan Glaze

We were celebrating each other. Haven't done this menu since...it could happen.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:50 am

falvegas wrote:
Pixie wrote:Bourbon Honey Glazed Ham

1 cup clover honey
1/3 cup molasses
Nonstick cooking spray
1/8 cup whole cloves

Love Ham. And I like the Marmalade and Whiskey in that recipe.
Easter I may try the recipe: Ham with Bourbon, Molasses, and Pecan GlazeI
Almost made a ham for Thanksgiving this year, in fact I almost replaced the Turkey with 2 Capons. Always preferred Capon to Turkey...Waterfowl and Game Birds are the best...to me.

About 50/50 getting into Boston Tomorrow........

I'll say prayers for a safe trip!!!!!!!!!! HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!! Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!

:clap2: :wave: :clap2: :wave: :clap2: :wave:

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:50 am

falvegas wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:

* Pecan Muffins

* Lots of French Bread

* Alder Smoked Bacon

Christmas Day – Dinner

New Years Dinner
Well, ConsrvYank1, I added a note in here that we have a big family (6 kids), and we ALL pitch in for the Holidays because they do get expensive. When we shop we are very, very frugal. And expensive items like the Lobsters, my brother gets from Lenox Mass from a Guy who works for him. Like 1/3 the price most pay for them. But we do live it up on Holidays.

Normally we have ham & eggs, tuna salads, and toasted cheese sandwiches like anyone else. We just put a lot of really neat things in the toasted cheese san's........ :wave:
Well it all sounds wonderful, especially because you have so many siblings to share it with. You are very fortunate. I can't wait for your posts after the holidays. ;)

BTW I don't believe that you and Pixie aren't part of the Iron Chefs. I think you guys are incognito. :lol: