Cold today so chili tomorrow.

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
9outof10

Cold today so chili tomorrow.

Post by 9outof10 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:40 am

I have never made chili, but I love it. I also view recipes more as guidelines. In fact, I can not remember the last time I actually measured anything when cooking. Just throw stuff in. Anyway, I want to make chili. What are your favorite recipes? I will use all as guidelines, combine the bunch, work with what I have and enjoy.

And naturally, I will post my (delicious) results.

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Re: Cold today so chili tomorrow.

Post by abbi » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:50 am

When I make chili I use ground beef and italian sausage with Pace Picante Sauce along with onions and peppers.

Craig1974

Post by Craig1974 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:04 am

Now that is different, putting italian sausage in chili.

One time I experienced what I call a chili travesty. This person put mushrooms in her chili. I can't stand mushrooms so imagine my horor as I was getting ready to take a bite of a nice bowl of chili and seeing a mushroom on my spoon. I cried for days...

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:24 am

Craig1974 wrote:Now that is different, putting italian sausage in chili.

One time I experienced what I call a chili travesty. This person put mushrooms in her chili. I can't stand mushrooms so imagine my horor as I was getting ready to take a bite of a nice bowl of chili and seeing a mushroom on my spoon. I cried for days...
It tastes really good.

I'm with you, I hate mushrooms too.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:32 pm

Go to the Post 'Genuine Chili Isn't Fast Food' around Oct 20 in here.
That's Chili Roja, Red Chili with cubed Beef & Pork (genuine chili has no beans or it's called Chili With Beans) Arizona does use beans in Chili, Texans usually serve them along side.

Other Genuine Chili from the Southwest are:
Chili Verde, Green Chili made with cubed Pork & Green Chilies (also has no beans) (A New Mexico Dish)
Elk Chili is made with ground Elk because the meat is so lean (More of a Colorado Dish)
Black Bean Chili is made with cubed Pork and Black Beans (this is an Arizona dish)
Chili Blanco or White Chili is made with Shredded Chicken and White Beans (more of a Gringo concoction)
Beef Chili with Cactus

Before Chili came out of San Antonio the native Americans had excellent dishes (two are):
Pazole with cubed Pork, Nixtamal (can use Hominy) and shredded red New Mexico Chilies (A Holiday Dish in Southwest made with Lamb before the Spanish came)
Navajo Lamb Stew

The Chili I had on a trip to Mexico was made with cubed Goat and had Chocolate in it.
At the World Chili Cook-Off I had Chili made with Possum and one from Texas with Javelina.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:56 pm

I will say that I think my body is trying to tell me no more chili!!!!!!!!

I don't seem to digest it like I used to!!!!!!! :cry: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :cry:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:31 pm

Pixie wrote:I will say that I think my body is trying to tell me no more chili!!!!!!!!

I don't seem to digest it like I used to!!!!!!! :cry: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :cry:
Is it the meats or the spices. If it's the spices that can be controlled.
For example the Chili Blanco with chicken, and the Chili Verde is made with cubed pork and very mild green chilies, cilantro, tomatillos. With a lot of Jack Cheese these are quite mild. The few original Chilies where the spice can be easily controlled.

I just don't intend to face another Turkey for some time.
I trust you're day went well yesterday.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:43 pm

:wave: :wave: :wave: :cheer: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Hello, my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure it's the meat!!!!!!! I don't think it's the spices.

:laugh: I'm with you on the turkey!!!!!!!! I've had an English muffin today... that's it!!!!!!!! I have no room for food today!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Oh, we had a wonderful time yesterday!!!!!!!! Our dinner was a smash and the ooohs and aaahs would make any cook glow!!!!!!!!! How about you!!!!!!!!!!

Today, I'm hibernating!!!!!!!!! :noparty: :noparty:

9outof10

Post by 9outof10 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:53 am

I kept it nice and simple.
Two pounds ground beef. 85/15 Not to fat. Not to lean.
Can of pinto beans.
Can of diced tomatoes. The type that already has basil, garlic, and other spices already in it.
Half a small can of tomato paste.
1 jalapeno, seeded and cut up into teeny pieces.
A few dashes of hot sauce.

I cheated and used a packet of already mixed chili spices. I added additional spices to it to it.

I prefer mine really hot and spicey but I knew that the girls would not eat it so I kept it mild.

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:35 am

Okay, I have been using search to find the chili recipe I KNOW I posted here a while back, because I had a couple of questions for the experts here. For some reason I can't find it, so I will ask the questions without the recipe.

One of the ingredients is one half cup of red wine. I believe I used burgandy, but was wondering if there is another one that might be even better?

It calls for one small onion. I believe I used yellow. Which kind would be best?

And lastly, I like to serve bread with it. I have used crusty Italian. Is there another that would be better? I hope you don't say cornbread as I am not a big fan of that. :mrgreen:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:47 am

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: CY1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll have to leave most of this for Falvegas as my chili recipe is no more than a convenience recipe. I make chili the easiest way possible when I have something else I'm working on and want a quick meal.

But, the crusty French bread sounds wonderful even though I always make Cheddar Cheese & Cream Scones or Cornbread!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll post the Cheddar Cheese & Cream Scones recipe for you... just in case!!!!!!!!

As far as onions I always use yellow onion or a Spanish onion. I never use red onion in my chili!

I've never added wine to my chili but I have added dark beer and I don't like beer but it was good!!!!!!!! I like that chili recipe. I'll see if I can find it!!!!!!!!!!

Now, I must say the Burgundy sounds like a good addition and it would seem that a Cabernet or Zinfidel would work just fine... but Falvegas will be able to give a more difinitive answer, I'm sure!!!!!!!!

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:49 am

I've been to World Champion Chili Cook-Offs, never heard of Chili with wine. There's a genuine California Chili that has a few tablespoons of Wine Vinegar in it. And a Vegetarian Chili which isn't actually Chili.

If your Chili is a Red Chili (Beef and Red Chili Peppers), and you want to use wine, use a red wine, and it doesn't have to be expensive.

Post the recipe, and we can tell.

In all my Chilies, Chili Roja (Cubed Beef with Red Chili), Chili Verde (Cubed Pork with Green Chili), Chili Blanco, or Chili Negro, I use nothing but Yellow or White Onions.

I did post a Chili in here a little way back 'Genuine Chili isn't Fast Food'. That chili does have a little Red Wine Vinegar in it. It also has Chocolate in it, based on a championship chili from Mexico City.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:55 am

Cheddar Cheese and Cream Scones
Makes 12

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup (packed) coarsely grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
3/4 cup chilled whipping cream
1 large egg

Preheat oven to 375°F. Blend flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in processor. Using on/off turns, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cheese and cut in using on/off turns. Whisk cream and egg in small bowl. With machine running, add cream mixture through feed tube. Process just until dough begins to clump together (do not over mix the dough).

Turn dough out onto lightly floured work surface. Gather dough together; divide in half. Pat each half into 6-inch round. Cut each round into 6 wedges. Transfer to un-greased baking sheet, place 2 inches apart.

Bake scones until golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer scones to rack and cool at least 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
If you don’t have a food processor you prepare the scones dough just as you would a pie dough with a very light touch and only until it comes together so as not to overwork the dough!

If you would like you can add canned, drained green chilies to this recipe for a spicier kick to the scones! I do this and serve them when I make chili!

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:04 am

Whew I found it on the internet and didn't have to type it.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chili-II-2/Detail.aspx

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:08 am

That's an excellent recipe except for the sage. I'd have to leave that out of my chili!!!!!!!!

Also, I forgot to mention I always serve these on the side with my chili!

Diced Onion,
Diced Green Pepper,
Shredded Cheddar Cheese, and
Sour Cream.

Wow, I'm getting hungry!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:43 am

Interesting Chili recipe. I like the addition of Sun Dried Tomatoes. Arizona uses Black beans in their Chili.

I would call this dish, Chili with Black beans.

Some Recommendations:
* Not so sure of the Sage with red meat. I'd likely substitute Oregano & Thyme.
* Rather than Hamburger, use the 'Rough Ground Beef' from the butcher or supermarket, They'll grind it for you rough.
* Consider using 3 TBS Balsamic and omit the wine
* Consider adding half the Liquids in step 3 for the 1st half cooking time. (A Chili World Champion once told me to never stew the beef, because it won't absorb flavor. Cook the mixture thick for awhile to get the flavors into the meat)

I put a little of the mixture into the meat and marinate it overnight.

Pixie is right on the Sides for the Chili. The classic Southwest Sides are:
* Warm Flour Tortillas (in Foil), or fried Flour Tortilla triangles, or Corn Chips
* Shredded Monerey Jack Cheese
* Chopped fresh Cilantro
* Chopped Jalapenos (fresh) sometimes mixed with chopped Serranpo Chilies
* Chopped Green Onions, or white onions (sometimes mixed)
* Extra Hot Sauce

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:11 pm

falvegas wrote:Interesting Chili recipe. I like the addition of Sun Dried Tomatoes. Arizona uses Black beans in their Chili.

Some Recommendations:
* Rather than Hamburger, use the 'Rough Ground Beef' from the butcher or supermarket, They'll grind it for you rough.
* Consider adding half the Liquids in step 3 for the 1st half cooking time. (A Chili World Champion once told me to never stew the beef, because it won't absorb flavor. Cook the mixture thick for awhile to get the flavors into the meat)

* Warm Flour Tortillas (in Foil), or fried Flour Tortilla triangles, or Corn Chips
* Chopped fresh Cilantro
* Chopped Jalapenos (fresh) sometimes mixed with chopped Serranpo Chilies* Chopped Green Onions, or white onions (sometimes mixed)
* Extra Hot Sauce
Oh, this is good! I've never put out fresh chilies because I put them in the chili... but, I should and now I will!!!!!!!!

Also, serving hot sauce on the side is a great idea!!!!!!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:53 pm

Pixie wrote:That's an excellent recipe except for the sage. I'd have to leave that out of my chili!!!!!!!!

Diced Onion,
Diced Green Pepper,
Sour Cream.

I just noticed that for some reason my recipe didn't call for add-ons, but I had it written in long-hand on the recipe sheet. I included sour cream, shredded cheddar, fresh cilantro and minced jalapeno. That way people can pick and choose what they want and leave off the rest.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:14 pm

Here's a couple of originals from the Southwest, the first one is so totally easy.

Chili Verde (Green Chili)
This is the quickest and easiest Chili I make. It’s an original New Mexico Chili. It’s made with diced Pork and roasted green Chilies. It can also be used as Dip, a filling for Burritos or a topping for Enchiladas. Natives believe Chili must not be diluted with beans and Tomato so this is strictly with Meat and Green Chilies.

3 TBS bacon Fat or Oil
1 Cup Coarsely Chopped Onion
2 Lb Pork, lean, cut into ½ Inch Cubes
2 TBS Flour
½ Tsp Cumin, ground, preferably fresh ground
2 garlic Cloves, minced
10 New Mexico Green Chilies or Anaheim Chilies, roasted, peeled, cored, seeded, and diced. Can use canned store bought whole Chilies in a can, already to dice & use.
3 Cups Chicken Stock
3 TBS Cilantro, fresh, fine chopped
1 Tsp Lime Juice
S & P to taste

* In a large heavy pot, heat the Bacon Fat/Oil on Medium-Low
* Sauté the onions until soft (~5 minutes)
* Add Pork Cubes and cook, stirring for 5 minutes more, until meat loses pink color
* Sprinkle the Flour over Pork & Onions. Raise heat slightly and cook until Pork is browned and Onions are golden.
* Stir in Cumin, Garlic and green Chilies, mixing well.
* Slowly add the boiling stock and stir until well incorporated
* Add salt & Pepper, lower heat and simmer about 1 ½ Hours until meat is tender.

Serve with warm Flour Tortillas (wrap in foil to keep warm), Jack Cheese (optional), chopped Jalapeno (optional), and chopped Cilantro.

PAZOLE or Posole
Pazole is traditional Southwest Cuisine served on Holidays. The dish pre-dates the Pilgrims landing. The original dish was made with ‘Lamb’, the one in here is made with Pork. Either can be used. Don’t waste your time on Dry Hominy (called Pazole or Nixtamal). Use canned White or Yellow Hominy from the super market.
* 32 Oz Canned Hominy (white or yellow), reserve the juice through a filter to add with Chicken Stock
* 2-1/2 Lb Pork or Lamb cut into ½ to 5/8 inch pieces. You can buy 3 to 4 lbs Manager Special Pork on sale with the Bones. Remove bones and place in Chicken Stock to make a mock Pork Stock. Dust meat very lightly with paprika and Chili Powder, Saute in Bacon or other Fat to just Browned, and Refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.
* 7-Cups Chicken Stock (Home Made Preferred)
* 2 Cups Onion coarsely chopped
* 3-Jalapeno Peppers, chopped
* 3-Garlic Cloves, fine chopped
* 4 to 5 -Whole/Dried/Red New Mexico Chili Peppers. Soften them slightly in warm water, Trim, slit lengthwise with Scissors, wash out seeds, and tear or Cut into 1-1/2 inch to 2-inch pieces
* 1-1/2 tsp dried Oregano or Fresh (prefered)
* 1-heaping tsp fresh ground Cumin
* 2-Bay Leaves
* Tabasco Sauce and Cayenne Pepper to taste
* S & P to taste
* 1-1/2 to 2 Cups Red Sauce (Enchilada Sauce will do)
* Canola Oil or Bacon Fat or other
* Flour Tortillas, Chopped Jalapeno and Serrano's, and Avocados and for Serving.

Heat the Stock in a stock pot with the reserved (filtered Hominy Juice), remove the pork bones if used to make stock.
Add the Hominy (Pazole) to the stock and simmer about 30 to 45 minutes
Sauté the onions and Jalapenos/Serranos for 3 – 4 minutes in a few TBS oil or Fat
Add Garlic and sauté a few minutes more.
Add sauté mixture to Stock with the Bay Leaves
Add chilled cubed meats to pan and stir
Add torn New Mexico Chilies and remaining seasonings; Cumin, Oregano, (Tabasco & Cayenne to taste) to the pot. Let Simmer (very low) 1-1/2 to 2 hours uncovered, stirring occasionally, and adding Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper to taste along the way as it cooks.

Remove Bay Leaf and serve in bowls with Red Sauce, Avocado Slices, sliced Jalapenos, and warm Flour Tortillas.
Last edited by falvegas on Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:15 pm

falvegas wrote:I've been to World Champion Chili Cook-Offs, never heard of Chili with wine. There's a genuine California Chili that has a few tablespoons of Wine Vinegar in it. And a Vegetarian Chili which isn't actually Chili.

If your Chili is a Red Chili (Beef and Red Chili Peppers), and you want to use wine, use a red wine, and it doesn't have to be expensive.

Post the recipe, and we can tell.

In all my Chilies, Chili Roja (Cubed Beef with Red Chili), Chili Verde (Cubed Pork with Green Chili), Chili Blanco, or Chili Negro, I use nothing but Yellow or White Onions.

I did post a Chili in here a little way back 'Genuine Chili isn't Fast Food'. That chili does have a little Red Wine Vinegar in it. It also has Chocolate in it, based on a championship chili from Mexico City.
:wave: CY1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I pulled up the recipe Falvegas posted in his Chili thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is excellent and I saved the recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought I'd pull it up for him and re-post them in this thread!!!!!!!!!!

THIS RECIPE IS COURTESY OF FALVEGAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:
Falvegas wrote:SOUTHWEST CHILI (ROJA)

True Southwest Chili has no beans. This dish is made with cubed meat not hamburger. The preparation is lengthy so start a day or two before. This makes a lot of Chili but it freezes well. Two secrets are 1.) This is optional; make your own Chili Sauce from dry Chili Pods (New Mexico or Guajillo).2.) Dry marinate cubed meat a day before assembling the Chili. 3.) Add shaved Chocolate near end. Other genuine Chili that takes much less time; Chili Verde (Green Chile) made with Pork, and Chili Blanco (White Chili with Beans) made with Chicken.

1A MEAT INGREDIENTS (1 day in advance)
• 2-1/2 to 3-lbs. Tri-Tip Steak or Chuck (boneless, good quality), trimmed of fat and Diced into 3/8-Inch cubes. For easy cutting, chill the meat well before cutting or freeze until firm, not frozen.
• 2-lbs. Pork, lean, and prepared as above. No need to use expensive pork cuts.

1B MARINATE MEAT (Day in advance)
• Make available; bottled Chili Powder, Ground Coriander, Ground Cumin, Powdered Paprika, and crushed Oregano.
• In a large bowl, add the Meat (IA) and DUST very lightly with the Spices (above). Mix well & Refrigerate overnight. Do not salt the meat.
Keep these Dry Spices available for preparing the Sauce and the Veggies

2A CHILI SAUCE INGREDIENTS [recommend doing this right after IA]
NOTE: If Sauce Step seems tedious skip it and use 7-TBS good quality Chili Powder.
• 7 to 8 New Mexico, Guajillo or California Dry Red Chili Pods
• 1-Cup brewed Coffee

2B CHILI SAUCE PREPARATION: Soak Chili Pods in warm water ½ to 1-hour. Remove Pods, strain & reserve water. Remove Chili Stems, cut lengthwise with scissors, wash out seeds under faucet, and set in a bowl. Return Chilies & Reserved Water to pot and simmer ½ hour.
• Remove Chilies, some of the water, and Puree. Press through Sieve, and return to pot liquid.
• Add the Coffee, and Simmer until reduced to 16 to 20 Oz.

3A TOMATO SAUCE INGREDIENTS (Can prepare ahead & refrigerate)
• 5 large Tomatoes, or 8 -10 Roma Tomatoes, peeled & coarsely chopped. OR: Use two 28 Oz. can Hunts Crushed Tomatoes.
• 1 15-Oz can Tomato Sauce
• 1-Large Onion chopped (or ~2 Cups)
• 3-stalks Celery diced
• 1-Serrano Pepper, seeded & diced
• 3 to 4 Bay Leaves
• 4-TBS Wine Vinegar
• 1/2-tsp. Salt & 1/2-tsp. Pepper, fresh ground
• 1/2-Can Beer
• 8 Oz. can diced Green Chili’s or 4 -5 whole roasted Green Chili’s (optional)

3B TOMATO SAUCE PREPARATION• Add Tomato Sauce ingredients (3A) to a Dutch Oven, and dust lightly with Dusting Spices (1B)
• Simmer Sauce 30 minutes, covered, and 30 minutes, uncovered. Remove Bay leaves, and set aside, or refrigerate.

4A VEGIE INGREDIENTS (Can prepare this ahead & refrigerate)
• 1-Green Bell Pepper (Large) seeded and chopped
• 1/2-Red Bell Pepper (or 1 small) seeded and chopped
• 1-Onion chopped (or ~1-1/2 Cups)
• 2-Jalapeno Peppers (fresh) seeded and chopped
• 2- Serrano Chili Peppers (fresh) seeded and chopped
• 5-Cloves Garlic, crushed
• 4 Tbs. Bacon Drippings (or Canola Oil)

4B VEGIE PREPARATION
• In a Skillet sauté the Vegetable ingredients, (4A) in Fat or Oil for 3 to 5 minutes on medium heat. Dust Lightly with Seasonings in 1B.
• Remove the vegetable mix with a slotted spoon or sieve and place the Veggies in a container. Place the Juices in separate container for later.

5A BROWN THE CHILI MEAT
• Remove Chili Meat (1B) from Frig. & bring to room temperature
• Add 1 to 2 Tbs. of the Fat & Juices from (4B)) to a Dutch Oven on Medium/High. Lightly Brown Meats a bit at a time. Add more Oil as required.
• Add 4-Oz of the Chili Sauce (2) to the meat, mix well. Let sit ½ Hour. Skip this step if using only Dry Chili Powder.

6A FINISHING INGREDIENTS
• 3 Tbs. All Purpose Flour or Masa Flour
• 1-Can Beef Stock or rich Chicken Stock reduced to ~8-Oz.
• 2-Dry Chili De-Arbol, stemmed, seeded, crushed fine (or crushed red pepper)
• 1-Chipotle Pepper. Soak, stem, seed, and chop coarse. Can also use a canned Chipotle Pepper in Adobo Sauce.
• 2-tsp. Cumin Seed (ground)
• 2-tsp Oregano
• 1-tsp Thyme
• 1-Tbs. Paprika
• Kosher or Sea Salt to taste
• 1-Tbs. Brown Sugar
• 1-Tbs. Red Wine Vinegar
• 4-Tbs. Baking or Semi Sweet Chocolate (Shaved)

6B COOK THE CHILI:
• Heat the Tomato Sauce, Vegetable Mixture, and remaining Chili Sauce (if using) in separate pans.
• Add all the Meat (5A) to a Medium or Large Stock Pot
• Set Pot to Medium/Low heat
• Add the Flour (6A) to the Meat, mix well, and simmer ~ 2 to 3 minutes.
• Add 1/2 the Vegetable Mixture (4B) to the Meats. Mix Lightly.
• Add 1/2 the Tomato Sauce (3B) to the Meats. Mix Lightly
• Add remaining Chili Sauce (2B) to the Meats, (or the Dry Chili Powder from 2B) and stir well. Simmer covered on ‘Very Low’ heat (a bubble at a time) for 1-1/2 Hours.
• Add the remaining Tomato Sauce (3B), Vegetable Mix (4B), and remaining Finishing Ingredients (6A) except the Chocolate. Simmer Low (barely a bubble), uncovered 1-1/2 hours
• 1/2-Hour before the Chili is done, add the Chocolate and mix well.
• Add water as required or additional tomato sauce.
• Remove the Bay Leaves.

7 – ACCOMPANIMENTS
• Monterey Jack Cheese, grated or use Mexican Manchego)
• Fresh Cilantro Leaves chopped
• Scallions chopped
• Corn Chips and/or Flour Tortillas (Warm the tortillas or cut them into triangles, fry, and season)
• Chopped Jalapenos, and Hot Sauce (Tapatio, Cholula, Red Rooster or Tabasco)
• Black Olives, pitted (Optional) These go well with California Chili and can be used to stretch the chili.

This is very good chili, and if one is to go through all this trouble, make a lot of it and freeze it.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:19 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Pixie wrote:That's an excellent recipe except for the sage. I'd have to leave that out of my chili!!!!!!!!

Diced Onion,
Diced Green Pepper,
Sour Cream.

I just noticed that for some reason my recipe didn't call for add-ons, but I had it written in long-hand on the recipe sheet. I included sour cream, shredded cheddar, fresh cilantro and minced jalapeno. That way people can pick and choose what they want and leave off the rest.
Exactly! Especially the jalapeno!!!!!!! Some like it spicier than others!!!!!!!

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:32 pm

Unless you're really ambitious, you don't want to try the Chili Roja or California Chili. It takes me 2 days to make that recipe, and I only do it 2 or 3 times a year. I make 2 gallons and freeze it in Ball Jars. It's based on the recipes from three guys who won the World Chili Cookoff.

The recipe can be shortened by using the ingredients w/o the marinating process, and by using Chili Powder rather than making your own chili sauce. But that's what the pros do, they prepare the Vegetables, the Tomato Sauce and the Meats separately, then combine.

The Chili Verde is really simple, it's very good, and it's authentic New Mexico. My sisters kids really love it because it's fairly mild.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:29 pm

falvegas wrote:Interesting Chili recipe. I like the addition of Sun Dried Tomatoes. Arizona uses Black beans in their Chili.

Some Recommendations:

* Chopped fresh Cilantro
* Chopped Jalapenos (fresh) sometimes mixed with chopped Serranpo Chilies
* Chopped Green Onions, or white onions (sometimes mixed)
* Extra Hot Sauce
Ok, I just checked with my family, and they voted for me not to change anything in the recipe, because as my oldest grandson says "it was totally awesome." My son in law "the best he ever had."

Falve, what I will do is, as you suggested and have the butcher rough cut the beef, because I don't believe that will change the flavor. And I will continue to use the red burgundy I have used before.

Pixie, I will use yellow onion. I am pretty sure that is what I used before. Also, I will try the scones, but I will still have crusty Italian or French bread too, just in case I screw of the scones. :lol:

Thanks for all the help and advice. :hug2: to both of you.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:50 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote: Ok, I just checked with my family, and they voted for me not to change anything in the recipe, because as my oldest grandson says "it was totally awesome." My son in law "the best he ever had."

Falve, what I will do is, as you suggested and have the butcher rough cut the beef, because I don't believe that will change the flavor. And I will continue to use the red burgundy I have used before.

Pixie, I will use yellow onion. I am pretty sure that is what I used before. Also, I will try the scones, but I will still have crusty Italian or French bread too, just in case I screw of the scones. :lol:

Thanks for all the help and advice. :hug2: to both of you.
That is WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! See, nothing is better than to hear words like that... especially from family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap2: :stars: :clap2: :stars: :clap2: :stars: :clap2: :stars: :clap2: :stars: