Potatoes

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Potatoes

Post by tattulip » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:19 am

Does it effect the flavor/texture of mashed potatoes if you peel/cut them the day before and soak them in water in your frig? I am trying to save some labor on T-day.

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Re: Potatoes

Post by abbi » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:30 am

tattulip wrote:Does it effect the flavor/texture of mashed potatoes if you peel/cut them the day before and soak them in water in your frig? I am trying to save some labor on T-day.
I heard once that they will absorb the water and get mushy but I'm not sure if that's true.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:33 am

abbi wrote:
tattulip wrote:Does it effect the flavor/texture of mashed potatoes if you peel/cut them the day before and soak them in water in your frig? I am trying to save some labor on T-day.
I heard once that they will absorb the water and get mushy but I'm not sure if that's true.
Honestly, I don't know but I'm inclined to agree with Abbi!!!!!!!! I'll go online and see what comes up with a Google search!

Falvegas will know!!!!!!!! :yes:

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:35 am

abbi wrote:
Yeah I was afraid of that. I know it will take a lot of the starch out but what I don't know is what effect that will have. I guess I just won't risk it.

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:44 am

tattulip wrote:
abbi wrote:
Yeah I was afraid of that. I know it will take a lot of the starch out but what I don't know is what effect that will have. I guess I just won't risk it.
I just googled it and it says that they will be fine in the fridge in cold water as long as they are completely submerged.

GoodBoy
...is a Good Boy
Location: I will Pray for Obama... Prayer triumphs over anger.

Post by GoodBoy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:54 am

They will swell for sure but even if they do get mushy, just cook them on the stove a bit longer after you mash them. It takes out the water and firms them up again. They will be fine.

When I was a teen I worked in a barbecue restaurant. I would precut the fries and fill them about 3/4 full in 5 gallon buckets with about 5 inches of water over the top of the fries. If I put too many fries in a bucket they would rise up over the waterline and turn black overnight. However I don't think whole potatoes would swell as much as cut fries would.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:42 pm

Day before? I don't know, I know it isn't recommended.
A few times I submersed them in water with a dash of lemon Juice, and into the Frig. That was only for 2 or 3 hours. So it probably won't be a problem overnight.

My recommendation. If you absolutely must peel them ahead, get up early and refrigerate as close to cooking as possible. But once cooked potatoes get some fat (like butter/cream) mixed in, they can be finished the last minute.

9outof10

Post by 9outof10 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:46 am

Soaking them overnight in the fridge will not harm the potatoes. It will, however, pull the potassium out of them. Growing up my father was on kidney dialysis and had to watch his potassium intake. Potatoes were soaked whenever we had them.

Falve was right in putting in some lemon juice. This just prevents them from browning. That also works on apples if you ever have to slice them the night before for any reason.