BEEF STROGANOFF

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
falvegas

BEEF STROGANOFF

Post by falvegas » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:43 pm

BEEF STROGANOFF

INGREDIENTS
a.) 1 1/2 lbs. Tenderloin or well marbled NY Sirloin trimmed of edge-fat. (Tenderloin is the standard. If using Sirloin, use a quality cut like Black Angus, and be sure to slice it ‘Across the Grain’ to 1/2 the thickness called for with the Tenderloin in Step 1.) Procedure)
b.) 8 Oz. Mushrooms of choice (stems removed, and sliced ¼ inch thick)
c.) 1-Large or 2-Medium white Onions (sliced into thin crescents)
d.) 3/4 Cup Sour Cream
e.) 2-Tbs Hungarian Paprika plus a little on the side
f.) 1/4-Cup General Purpose Flour plus 1 Tbs. (Sift the 1/4 Cup Flour with 1-Tbs Hungarian Paprika and set aside)
g.) 1-Cup Beef Stock or canned consume (homemade preferred)
h.) ~ 4-Tbs. Unsalted Butter (for searing & sauté)
i.) ~ 2 to 3-Tbs mild Olive Oil (for searing & sauté)
j.) 4-Tbs. Dry Vermouth (for Deglaze)
k.) Sea Salt and fresh Ground Pepper to taste
l.) 1-Package large, good quality Egg Noodles
m.) 1/4-Cup Italian (flat) Parsley Leaves & Sprigs for garnish

PROCEDURE

Beef Preparation:
Dust the Whole Filets or Sirloins with Kosher Salt, fresh Ground Pepper, and Paprika. Brush an iron or good quality skillet lightly with Oil, and heat to medium high. Add about 1-Tbs. of Butter, let the foam subside and Sear the Beef about 1 ½ to 2 minutes on a side, remove from skillet and cover in foil. Refrigerate Beef until Firm & Cold but not frozen. Save the pan juices.

1.) COOK BEEF: When chilled, Slice Tenderloin into strips 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick by 2 to 2-1/2 inch long. If using Sirloin be sure to slice into strips that are thinner & across the grain. Dust the strips with salt & pepper, then in the flour/paprika mixture (from f.). Shake loose flour free of the steak strips.
- Add Butter to a Skillet and set the heat on medium high
- Sear Meat quickly on all sides, until just browned (don’t cook through). Sear a cup at a time, add Butter as required.
- Remove each batch to a bowl. Steak that is dark/crisp on the outside, a bit rare on the inside is ideal. Refrigerate.
- Add a little Vermouth to the skillet while hot and deglaze. Add drippings from any previous preparation.
2.) ONIONS: Sauté Onions in 1 Tbs. Butter and 1 Tbs. Oil in the same skillet (~ 10 minutes) Drain & remove onions to a bowl
3.) MUSHROOMS: Sauté Mushrooms in the skillet (~ 8 to10 minutes).The Mushrooms will absorb oil, add more as required, then, turn off heat,
place Mushrooms in bowl, Reserve liquid from the pan.
4.) FLOUR & BUTTER: In Skillet, melt 1-1/2 Tbs. Butter, and add 1-1/2 Tbs. of the Flour/Paprika mix (from f). Whisk until blended.
- Add Beef Stock (g) slowly to Flour mixture
- Add any reserved juice from mushroom (Step 3.) into Flour mix
- Stir the Flour/Stock mix vigorously until smooth
- Remove from heat

FINISH STROGANOFF:
A. Cook Egg Noodles until al dente (add glass cold water to pot when done) Strain through colander, sprinkle with a little Olive Oil, and arrange on serving platter. Dust top of Egg Noodles with a little Chopped Parsley.
B. Combine Beef (1), Onions (2), and Mushrooms (3) to the skillet from step 3 on medium heat. Stir till incorporated. (~2 minutes)
C. Add Sour Cream to the Flour Mix (4) on medium-low heat. Add salt/pepper to taste, and 1-tsp Paprika. Stir till combined.
D. Combine Meat/Veggie (B) with Sour Cream/Flour mix (C). Heat Stroganoff through (don’t boil) and stir until well incorporated.
E. Add Stroganoff (D) to the center of a platter with the Egg Noodles (A). Dust with Paprika, and Garnish with Italian parsley sprigs.

(It's usual to ADD 3-4 scoops (~1 Tbs. each) sour cream to the top of serving dish before the paprika and parsley are added. Also, Brandy can be used in place of Vermouth in (1.)).

NOTE: This can be served with French or Artisan Bread. But if you want to really feel Russian, consider the following.

• Slices of Fresh Russian or Dark Bread
• A Dish of ‘Soft’ sweet cream Butter.
• A Dish of very thinly sliced rings of White Onion.

Let each person spread butter on bread, and add slices of onion. You won’t believe how totally sweet the onions are because of the sweet butter. It’s a surprise.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: BEEF STROGANOFF

Post by Pixie » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:23 am

I used to love Beef Stroganoff but I haven't had it or made it in years!

This is a great excuse (a new recipe) to make it again and with the weather cooling down it's a great time of year for this recipe!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:55 am

Pixie wrote:I used to love Beef Stroganoff but I haven't had it or made it in years!

This is a great excuse (a new recipe) to make it again and with the weather cooling down it's a great time of year for this recipe!

Watched my Grandmother make it when I was a teenager. This is the 1st time I've documented it. Bout time. So what I wrote may not be that precise but certainly close enough to make it. We all improvise as we go along, I know you must.

And Yup...Temperature got to 60 last night. Time to put up the Chilled Soup folder, and organize my folder of Hearty Soups and Stews.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:31 am

falvegas wrote:
Pixie wrote:I used to love Beef Stroganoff but I haven't had it or made it in years!

Watched my Grandmother make it when I was a teenager. This is the 1st time I've documented it. Bout time. So what I wrote may not be that precise but certainly close enough to make it. We all improvise as we go along, I know you must.

And Yup...Temperature got to 60 last night. Time to put up the Chilled Soup folder, and organize my folder of Hearty Soups and Stews.
Oh, I'm so glad you documented this recipe! I'll tell you that I'm so sorry that I didn't document more of my father's and mother's recipes before they were gone.

Falvegas, it's okay if it's not exact I'll be fine with it! :)

fayebeck

Post by fayebeck » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:04 pm

Who needs Beef Stroganoff when you can have this. http://www.ichiban1.org/html/game_pages/sos.htm

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:21 pm

fayebeck wrote:Who needs Beef Stroganoff when you can have this. http://www.ichiban1.org/html/game_pages/sos.htm
Well, fayebeck, always good for a laugh. I believe that was called 'SOS' in the military. And there's nothing wrong with that dish. But c'mon fay, it's not what the center of the country serves on festive hollidays.

fayebeck

Post by fayebeck » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:17 am

falvegas wrote:
fayebeck wrote:Who needs Beef Stroganoff when you can have this. http://www.ichiban1.org/html/game_pages/sos.htm
Well, fayebeck, always good for a laugh. I believe that was called 'SOS' in the military. And there's nothing wrong with that dish. But c'mon fay, it's not what the center of the country serves on festive hollidays.
To tell the truth I loved the stuff. I clicked on SOS recipes and got a Marine Corps recipe for it. Wife promises to brew a batch someday FOR ME.

Johnny 99
Formerly known as "kad"
Location: I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Post by Johnny 99 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:28 am

This sounds good, but I could never make it.

I wonder if I could persuade someone else to make it for me.

:teehee:

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:34 am

Kad wrote:This sounds good, but I could never make it.

Something tells me that would be pretty easy. :lol:

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:57 am

Kad wrote:This sounds good, but I could never make it.

That all depends on what I get :cool: