Thanksgiving Menus, Recipes, and Ideas

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanksgiving Menus, Recipes, and Ideas

Post by Pixie » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:51 am

Good morning! :) :) :) :)

I thought it would be fun to have a Thanksgiving recipe thread. We can share our 2008 planned menus, the recipes, ideas, and have a place to ask questions should we have the need!

Saturday, my sister and I worked on our 2008 menu for about 2 hours and while it's not completed we got a good start!

I'm at work so my posts may be sketchy but as I can I'll start the thread with our last year’s menu and recipes and as we complete this year’s I’ll add to the thread.

Please share your menus and recipes, and most importantly ask your questions, as I think it’s a wonderful way to give each other ideas for the upcoming holidays!

Pixie :pixie:

FALVEGAS, I DEDICATE THIS THREAD TO YOU BECAUSE IT WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN HALF AS SUCCESSFUL WITHOUT YOUR IDEAS, MENUS, RECIPES, AND ALL TIPS YOU'VE PROVIDED ALL THE WAY THROUGH THIS THREAD!!!!!

YOU'RE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Pixie on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Re: Thanksgiving Menus, Recipes, and Ideas

Post by tattulip » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:30 am

My children are traditionalist so we have the same thing every year. :noparty: I would like to add new things to the menu.

So our menu is this:

turkey
bread stuffing
mashed potatoes/gravy
canned cranberry jelly
green bean casserole
scalloped corn
some sort of roll

Boring huh?

I saw a recipe for baked acorn squash on the pioneer woman's blog and I may make that even if I will probably be the only one that eats it.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:26 pm

TatTulip,

My personal opinion, any time you're with family and you're all healthy and happy nothing can be boring! :) The food is all secondary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:27 pm

This is our 2007 Thanksgiving Menu. My sister and I cooked for three days! I'll post the recipes as I can.

2 - 12Lb. Turkeys
1- Traditional Turkey stuffed w/Cornbread, Sausage, & Sage Stuffing
1 - Maple Bourbon Pecan Glazed Turkey stuffed w/Fruit & Nut Stuffing

Whipped Potatoes w/Turkey Gravy
Sweet Potato Souffle w/Maple Bourbon Praline Sauce

Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Green Beans Almandine

Port Wine Cranberry Sauce
Spinach & Red Onion Salad w/Hot Bacon Dressing

Cranberry Muffins
Cornbread
Crescent Rolls (NOT Pillsbury!)

Homemade Cinnamon Ice Cream (made by my brother-in-law)
Apple Pie
Pumpkin Creme Brulee
Sweet Potato Pie
Pecan Pie

Okay, that's all...I think!

We also had Greek Coffee which is much like Turkish Coffee (very rich and thick).

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:28 pm

tattulip wrote:My children are traditionalist so we have the same thing every year. :noparty: I would like to add new things to the menu.

So our menu is this:

turkey
bread stuffing
mashed potatoes/gravy
canned cranberry jelly
green bean casserole
scalloped corn
some sort of roll

Boring huh?

I saw a recipe for baked acorn squash on the pioneer woman's blog and I may make that even if I will probably be the only one that eats it.
When I think of it if you would post your recipes it would be great for those of us that only like the traditional!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny 99
Formerly known as "kad"
Location: I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Post by Johnny 99 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:46 pm

I don't cook, so I'll be eating whatever gets put in front of me.

ALL OF IT! :yes:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:05 pm

Depends on your guests, and how many but here's a few ideas that are a little different:

Before Dinner;
Consider a Citrus/Orange Shrimp Cocktail, Wine Spritzers, and Sparkling Fruit drinks. Maybe Cranberry Tea for the tea totallers. Simpler are the traditional Vegetable Platters, White Bean or other Dips w/Crackers.

1st Courses
Prosciutto Wrapped Fruit such as with Pear or Melon
Cranberry/Raspberry Spinach Salad
Pumpkin Soup (topped lightly with a Lime Cream Sauce) or New England Clam Chowder

Main Meal Instead of one Large Turkey consider multiple smaller birds
1-medium: Turkey with Pecan/Dry-Cranberry/Bread Stuffing. Lace the basting with a little Balsamic Vinegar.
1 or 2-Duck with Sausage Stuffing surrounded with Roasted Chestnuts
Cranberry Sauce w/Tangerine
Maple Candied Sweet Potatoes
Mashed Potatoes w/Chive or Potato Au gratin
Baby Green Beans w/Pine Nuts (Pinolas)
Creamed Baby Onions or Glazed Onions
Scalloped Corn
Glazed Carrotts

Breads
Pumpkin Bread or Muffins
Variety of Artisan Breads or Rolls.

Desert
Pumpkin Cheesecake
Chocolate Mouse w/ Poached Pears & Creme Anglaise on the side (Optional)

Drinks
Pretty much anything you like with Desert...Coffee with Kahlua, Hot Spiced Rum, and all the traditional stuff.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:17 pm

This is a wonderful menu! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:26 pm

classic roast turkey with herbed stuffing and old-fashioned gravy

1 (12-pound) turkey
Herbed Stuffing
Approximately 8 cups warm Homemade Turkey Stock
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened, plus additional, melted, if needed for gravy
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Special equipment: small metal skewer; kitchen string; aluminum foil; large flameproof roasting pan with flat or V-shaped rack; bulb baster (optional); instant-read thermometer; 2-quart glass measuring cup; gravy separator (optional)

Place oven rack in lowest position and preheat oven to 325°F. Butter 8-inch square baking dish or 2-quart casserole. Lightly brush roasting rack with vegetable oil and place in roasting pan.
Remove plastic or paper packet of giblets from turkey (usually in small cavity).

Remove from packaging and rinse; reserve gizzard and heart; discard floppy, dark purple liver. Remove neck from large cavity. Remove from packaging, rinse, and reserve. Using tweezers or needlenose pliers, remove any feathers and quills still attached to skin (kosher turkeys tend to require this more than others). Pull off and reserve any visible pale yellow knobs of fat from either side of tail (not found on all birds).

Rinse turkey inside and out with cold water and pat dry. Loosely fill small (neck) cavity with stuffing. Fold neck skin under body and fasten with metal skewer.

Loosely fill large body cavity with stuffing. Transfer remaining stuffing to buttered dish and drizzle with 1/4 cup stock. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate until ready to bake.

Transfer turkey, breast-side up, to rack in roasting pan. Tuck wing tips under breast and tie drumsticks loosely together with kitchen string. Rub turkey all over with softened butter and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Tightly cover breast area with foil, leaving wings, thighs, and drumsticks exposed. Transfer gizzard, heart, neck, and reserved turkey fat to roasting pan around rack. Pour 2 cups stock into pan.

Roast turkey 45 minutes.

Baste with pan juices (lift up foil to reach breast area) and continue roasting, basting every 45 minutes, 1 1/2 hours more (2 1/4 hours total). Baste again and, if pan juices have evaporated into glaze, add 1 cup stock to pan. Roast another 45 minutes (3 hours total). Remove foil from breast area, baste, and add stock if necessary, until instant-read thermometer inserted into fleshy part of thigh (close to but not touching bone) registers 180°F, about 1 hour more (4 hours total).

Insert instant-read thermometer into center of stuffing in body cavity. If thermometer does not read 165°F, transfer stuffing to microwave-safe baking dish and microwave on high until 165°F, about 3 minutes for 10 degrees. Cover and keep warm. Using turkey holders (or by inserting large metal serving spoon into body cavity), transfer turkey to large serving platter. Let stand 30 minutes before carving.

Meanwhile, bake extra stuffing and make gravy: Raise oven temperature to 350°F.

Remove giblets and neck from roasting pan and discard. Pour pan juices into measuring cup or gravy separator. Let stand until fat rises to top, 1 to 2 minutes, then skim off and reserve fat or, if using separator, carefully pour juices into measuring cup, reserving fat left in separator.

Transfer foil-covered dish of extra stuffing to oven and bake 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, add enough remaining stock to pan juices to total 4 cups. Measure turkey fat, adding melted butter if necessary to total 6 tablespoons. Straddle roasting pan across 2 burners on moderate heat and add fat. Whisk in flour, scraping up browned bits on bottom of pan, then cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Whisk in pan juice–stock mixture and bring to a boil, whisking often. Reduce heat to moderately low and simmer, whisking occasionally, until gravy thickens, about 5 minutes. Whisk in remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and keep warm. (Gravy can be kept warm over very low heat, covered, up to 20 minutes. If it thickens, thin with additional stock before serving. If skin forms on top, whisk well to dissolve.)

When extra stuffing has baked 10 minutes, remove foil and bake, uncovered, until heated through, about 10 minutes.

Pour gravy through fine-mesh sieve into large bowl, then transfer to gravy boat. Carve turkey and serve gravy and stuffing alongside.

This recipe can easily be scaled up to serve more people. Estimate about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds per person. Cooking times (for a stuffed bird, cooked at 325°F to an internal temperature of 180°F) will be as follows:

8 to 12 pounds: 3 to 3 1/2 hours
12 to 14 pounds: 3 1/2 to 4 hours
14 to 18 pounds: 4 to 4 1/4 hours
18 to 20 pounds: 4 1/4 to 4 3/4 hours
20 to 24 pounds: 4 3/4 to 5 1/4 hours

Letting the turkey stand for half an hour after it comes out of the oven is an essential part of the roasting process. When meat roasts, its juices move to the outer edge of the flesh. Letting it rest gives the juices time to redistribute, making for a moister turkey. An added bonus: The resting time provides an excellent window of opportunity to make the gravy and reheat the side dishes. There's no need to cover the bird—it'll stay warm enough, and covering it would only soften the crispy skin.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here is a traditional roast turkey recipe!

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:27 pm

falvegas wrote:Depends on your guests, and how many but here's a few ideas that are a little different:

Before Dinner;
Consider a Citrus/Orange Shrimp Cocktail, Wine Spritzers, and Sparkling Fruit drinks. Maybe Cranberry Tea for the tea totallers. Simpler are the traditional Vegetable Platters, White Bean or other Dips w/Crackers.

1st Courses
Pumpkin Soup (topped lightly with a Lime Cream Sauce) or New England Clam Chowder

1-medium: Turkey with Pecan/Dry-Cranberry/Bread Stuffing. Lace the basting with a little Balsamic Vinegar.
Scalloped Corn
Glazed Carrotts

Breads
Pumpkin Bread or Muffins

Desert
Pumpkin Cheesecake

Drinks
Pretty much anything you like with Desert...Coffee with Kahlua, Hot Spiced Rum, and all the traditional stuff.
Um, where do you live? :TTC:

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:44 pm

I haven't worked on the menu yet but I always make my own stuffing so that will be part of it. I tested a recipe for a Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake on my co-workers today and they loved it so that will also be included.

ToBeannounced

Post by ToBeannounced » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:51 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
falvegas wrote:Depends on your guests, and how many but here's a few ideas that are a little different:

Before Dinner;

1st Courses

Scalloped Corn
Glazed Carrotts

Breads
Pumpkin Bread or Muffins

Desert
Pumpkin Cheesecake

Drinks
Um, where do you live? :TTC:
Um, yes. Can I get a ride with you?

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:55 pm

Pixie wrote:classic roast turkey with herbed stuffing and old-fashioned gravy

1 (12-pound) turkey
Herbed Stuffing
Approximately 8 cups warm Homemade Turkey Stock
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened, plus additional, melted, if needed for gravy
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Special equipment: small metal skewer; kitchen string; aluminum foil; large flameproof roasting pan with flat or V-shaped rack; bulb baster (optional); instant-read thermometer; 2-quart glass measuring cup; gravy separator (optional)

Place oven rack in lowest position and preheat oven to 325°F. Butter 8-inch square baking dish or 2-quart casserole. Lightly brush roasting rack with vegetable oil and place in roasting pan.
Remove plastic or paper packet of giblets from turkey (usually in small cavity).

Remove from packaging and rinse; reserve gizzard and heart; discard floppy, dark purple liver. Remove neck from large cavity. Remove from packaging, rinse, and reserve. Using tweezers or needlenose pliers, remove any feathers and quills still attached to skin (kosher turkeys tend to require this more than others). Pull off and reserve any visible pale yellow knobs of fat from either side of tail (not found on all birds).

Rinse turkey inside and out with cold water and pat dry. Loosely fill small (neck) cavity with stuffing. Fold neck skin under body and fasten with metal skewer.

Loosely fill large body cavity with stuffing. Transfer remaining stuffing to buttered dish and drizzle with 1/4 cup stock. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate until ready to bake.

Transfer turkey, breast-side up, to rack in roasting pan. Tuck wing tips under breast and tie drumsticks loosely together with kitchen string. Rub turkey all over with softened butter and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Tightly cover breast area with foil, leaving wings, thighs, and drumsticks exposed. Transfer gizzard, heart, neck, and reserved turkey fat to roasting pan around rack. Pour 2 cups stock into pan.

Roast turkey 45 minutes.

Baste with pan juices (lift up foil to reach breast area) and continue roasting, basting every 45 minutes, 1 1/2 hours more (2 1/4 hours total). Baste again and, if pan juices have evaporated into glaze, add 1 cup stock to pan. Roast another 45 minutes (3 hours total). Remove foil from breast area, baste, and add stock if necessary, until instant-read thermometer inserted into fleshy part of thigh (close to but not touching bone) registers 180°F, about 1 hour more (4 hours total).

Insert instant-read thermometer into center of stuffing in body cavity. If thermometer does not read 165°F, transfer stuffing to microwave-safe baking dish and microwave on high until 165°F, about 3 minutes for 10 degrees. Cover and keep warm. Using turkey holders (or by inserting large metal serving spoon into body cavity), transfer turkey to large serving platter. Let stand 30 minutes before carving.

Meanwhile, bake extra stuffing and make gravy: Raise oven temperature to 350°F.

Remove giblets and neck from roasting pan and discard. Pour pan juices into measuring cup or gravy separator. Let stand until fat rises to top, 1 to 2 minutes, then skim off and reserve fat or, if using separator, carefully pour juices into measuring cup, reserving fat left in separator.

Transfer foil-covered dish of extra stuffing to oven and bake 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, add enough remaining stock to pan juices to total 4 cups. Measure turkey fat, adding melted butter if necessary to total 6 tablespoons. Straddle roasting pan across 2 burners on moderate heat and add fat. Whisk in flour, scraping up browned bits on bottom of pan, then cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Whisk in pan juice–stock mixture and bring to a boil, whisking often. Reduce heat to moderately low and simmer, whisking occasionally, until gravy thickens, about 5 minutes. Whisk in remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and keep warm. (Gravy can be kept warm over very low heat, covered, up to 20 minutes. If it thickens, thin with additional stock before serving. If skin forms on top, whisk well to dissolve.)

When extra stuffing has baked 10 minutes, remove foil and bake, uncovered, until heated through, about 10 minutes.

Pour gravy through fine-mesh sieve into large bowl, then transfer to gravy boat. Carve turkey and serve gravy and stuffing alongside.

This recipe can easily be scaled up to serve more people. Estimate about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds per person. Cooking times (for a stuffed bird, cooked at 325°F to an internal temperature of 180°F) will be as follows:

8 to 12 pounds: 3 to 3 1/2 hours
12 to 14 pounds: 3 1/2 to 4 hours
14 to 18 pounds: 4 to 4 1/4 hours
18 to 20 pounds: 4 1/4 to 4 3/4 hours
20 to 24 pounds: 4 3/4 to 5 1/4 hours

Letting the turkey stand for half an hour after it comes out of the oven is an essential part of the roasting process. When meat roasts, its juices move to the outer edge of the flesh. Letting it rest gives the juices time to redistribute, making for a moister turkey. An added bonus: The resting time provides an excellent window of opportunity to make the gravy and reheat the side dishes. There's no need to cover the bird—it'll stay warm enough, and covering it would only soften the crispy skin.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here is a traditional roast turkey recipe!
That is quite traditional, nothing wrong with that. A few things you can consider:
** When you remove the innards and neck, snip off the wing tips and butt and place all of them in a sauce pan to make the Stock while the Turkey is cooking. That Stock would be added to the Pan Juice and Roux when you make the gravy.
** You don't have to wrap the breasts tight with foil, it may pull on the Skin when you remove it. Another consideration is to make a 'hood' of heavy duty foil to drape over the bird after the first 45 to 60 minutes so it doesn't burn. I do this with all my birds and game fowl, doesn't stick to the skin.
** With the traditional stuffings like 'Herb' or 'New England' you can sort of dress it up a bit by adding 'Nuts & Dried Fruit' e.g. Pecans or Walnuts are typical and Dry Cranberries or Craisons I think they're called.
** For the Gravy, you can consider adding a little of a sweet Liquer OR just buy some inexpensive 'Currant Jelly' and stir in a Tablespoon or Two a few minutes before the gravy is ready. This adds a lot of Body to the gravy.
** If you like a really 'dark mahogany' color to your bird, just wisk in a little Balsamic Vinegar to the melted butter you'll be basting it with.

If you're interested in any of the recipes in my generic menu let me know.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:02 pm

Oh, I am! The Cream Baby Onions,the Glazed Onions, and the Scallop Corn just for starters!!!!!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:04 pm

abbi wrote:I haven't worked on the menu yet but I always make my own stuffing so that will be part of it. I tested a recipe for a Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake on my co-workers today and they loved it so that will also be included.
I'd love to see the recipe for the Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake!!!!!!!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:43 pm

Pixie wrote:
abbi wrote:I haven't worked on the menu yet but I always make my own stuffing so that will be part of it. I tested a recipe for a Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake on my co-workers today and they loved it so that will also be included.
I'd love to see the recipe for the Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake!!!!!!!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:
OK Pixie, ask and you shall receive. These are the easy ones. Creamed & Glazed Onions, Carrots, and the Scaloped Corn. The Pumpkin Cheesecake I threw in isn't a Swirl.

PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE

INGREDIENTS
1-1/2 Cups Cracker crumbs (Like Graham or Zwieback)
1/3-Cup Sugar plus 3/4-Cup Sugar plus 2-TBS-Sugar
3-TBS Butter, melted
Two 8-Oz Pkg. Cream Cheese, softened
1-Cup Light Cream (or half & half)
1-Cup Pumpkin (Canned)
3-TBS All Purpose Flour
1 1/2- Tsp Vanilla plus 1/2-Tsp Vanilla
1/2-Tsp Ginger (ground)
1-Tsp Cinnamon (ground)
1/2-Tsp Nutmeg (ground)
1/4-Tsp Salt
4-Eggs
8-Oz Dairy Sour Cream
1/2-Tsp

Preheat Oven to 325 Deg F

CRUST
** Combine Crumbs, the ½-Cup Sugar, and Butter
** Press onto bottom & Sides (up ~2-inches) of a 9 Inch ‘Spring Form Pan’
** Bake 5 minutes & set out of the way.

FILLING
** Beat (mix) the Cream Cheese, Half & Half, Pumpkin, 3/4-Cup Sugar, Flour, 1 ½ Tsp Vanilla, Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg, and Salt until smooth.
** Add Eggs on Low Speed until combined
** Spoon into the Crust Lined Pan and place on a shallow bake Pan
** Bake 325 Deg F for 1-Hour until ‘set’ when shaken

TOPPING
** Combine Sour Cream with 2-Tbs. Sugar, rest of the Vanilla, and spread over the Cheesecake
** Bake 5-Minutes

REMOVE & CHILL
Cool cake ~15 Minutes on wire rack.
Loosen crust from sides of pan with a thin blade
Cool 30 minutes more
Remove sides of pan & cool 1-Hour
Cover Cheesecake and chill in Refrigerator over night or up to 24 hours.

SCALLOPED CORN (about 6 servings)
1-Lrg Egg, beaten
1-Cup Milk, whole
1-Cup Saltine Crackers, coarsely crushed (about 22 crackers)
1–Tsp Salt (Sea of fine Kosher) or ¾-Tsp table salt
Dash Pepper
One (17-Oz.) can Cream Style Corn
¼-Cup Onion (finely chopped)
3-TBS chopped (canned) Pimiento
1-TBS Butter, melted

Combine Egg, Milk, 3/4 of the Cracker Crumbs, Salt & Pepper
Stir in the Corn, Pimiento, and Onion and mix well
Turn into a 1-Quart Casserole
Toss melted Butter with the remaining Cracker Crumbs, sprinkle on top
Bake @ 350 deg F for 60 to 70 minutes.

CREAMED BABY ONIONS & CARROTS (NOTE: Onions or Carrots can be cooked together or one can be eliminated)
5-TBS Butter
2-Lbs Carrots cut into thick 2-inch long slices
10 to 15 Baby Onions (more if using only onions)
Sea or Kosher Saalt
1-Tsp Sugar
2-TBS fine chopped flat Parsley
6-TBS heavy Cream

Melt Butter in Skillet
Add Carrots & Onions, Salt lightly, and dust with the Sugar
Cover Pan and cook 30 to 35 minutes, stirring time to time
When cooked, mix the parsley with the cream, and Add to pan.
Cook about 5 more minutes until hot (The cream should not boil)

CREAMED ONIONS (alternate Recipe, not Baby Onions)
3-Cups Sliced White or Sweet Onions
¼-Cup Butter, melted
2-Tbs All Purpose Flour
1-Tsp Sea Salt or Kosher
¼ Tsp Dried Thyme (Crushed)
1-Cup Whole Milk

Cook Onion in a lot of Boiling Water, covered, till tender (20 -25 Min)
Drain Onions
In Saucepan, mix Butter, Flour, Salt, Thyme, and a dash of Pepper.
Blend in Milk, cook, stirring constantly until Thickened and Bubbly.
Stir in Onion Slices and heat through.

GLAZED ONIONS
1-Lb new Baby Onions (w/o greens)
3 ½ -TBS. Butter broken into pea size pieces
1-Tbs granulated Sugar
Sea Salt, Gr. Pepper

Peel Onions, Wash & Dry
Place in a Fry Pan so ‘all of the onions’ cover the bottom of the pan.
Add Half the Butter, All the Sugar, and dust w/ Salt & Pepper
Cook over Low heat until onions just start to brown
Pour in enough ‘water’ to barely cover the Onions (They should not float)
Cover pan, turn up heat to moderate, and ‘Boil’ about 10 to 15 min till water evaporated
When the onions are done there should be a thick Syrup in the pan
Shake the pan to Glaze all the Onions. Add remaining Butter, season again as required & serve.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:53 pm

falvegas wrote: That is quite traditional, nothing wrong with that. A few things you can consider:
** When you remove the innards and neck, snip off the wing tips and butt and place all of them in a sauce pan to make the Stock while the Turkey is cooking. That Stock would be added to the Pan Juice and Roux when you make the gravy.
** You don't have to wrap the breasts tight with foil, it may pull on the Skin when you remove it. Another consideration is to make a 'hood' of heavy duty foil to drape over the bird after the first 45 to 60 minutes so it doesn't burn. I do this with all my birds and game fowl, doesn't stick to the skin.
** With the traditional stuffings like 'Herb' or 'New England' you can sort of dress it up a bit by adding 'Nuts & Dried Fruit' e.g. Pecans or Walnuts are typical and Dry Cranberries or Craisons I think they're called.
** For the Gravy, you can consider adding a little of a sweet Liquer OR just buy some inexpensive 'Currant Jelly' and stir in a Tablespoon or Two a few minutes before the gravy is ready. This adds a lot of Body to the gravy.
** If you like a really 'dark mahogany' color to your bird, just wisk in a little Balsamic Vinegar to the melted butter you'll be basting it with.

If you're interested in any of the recipes in my generic menu let me know.
Falvegas,

These are all brilliant suggestions thank you, so very much, I really appreciate each tip!!!!!!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:57 pm

Falvegas wrote:SCALLOPED CORN (about 6 servings)
1-Lrg Egg, beaten
1-Cup Milk, whole
1-Cup Saltine Crackers, coarsely crushed (about 22 crackers)
1–Tsp Salt (Sea of fine Kosher) or ¾-Tsp table salt
Dash Pepper
One (17-Oz.) can Cream Style Corn
¼-Cup Onion (finely chopped)
3-TBS chopped (canned) Pimiento
1-TBS Butter, melted

Combine Egg, Milk, 3/4 of the Cracker Crumbs, Salt & Pepper
Stir in the Corn, Pimiento, and Onion and mix well
Turn into a 1-Quart Casserole
Toss melted Butter with the remaining Cracker Crumbs, sprinkle on top
Bake @ 350 deg F for 60 to 70 minutes.
This sounds so easy and so wonderful! I've never heard of Scalloped Corn!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for introducing me to a dish I've never heard of!!!!!!!!

:pixie:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:59 pm

My sister and I do the Thanksgiving Menu and dinner together so I'm going to suggest that we add the glazed onions and the scalloped corn to our Thanksgiving 2008 menu!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!! I think she'll love the recipes!!!!!!!!!!

:pixie:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:39 pm

Pixie wrote:This is our 2007 Thanksgiving Menu. My sister and I cooked for three days! I'll post the recipes as I can.

2 - 12Lb. Turkeys
1- Traditional Turkey stuffed w/Cornbread, Sausage, & Sage Stuffing
1 - Maple Bourbon Pecan Glazed Turkey stuffed w/Fruit & Nut Stuffing

Whipped Potatoes w/Turkey Gravy
Sweet Potato Souffle w/Maple Bourbon Praline Sauce

Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Green Beans Almandine

Port Wine Cranberry Sauce
Spinach & Red Onion Salad w/Hot Bacon Dressing

Cranberry Muffins
Cornbread
Crescent Rolls (NOT Pillsbury!)

Homemade Cinnamon Ice Cream (made by my brother-in-law)
Apple Pie
Pumpkin Creme Brulee
Sweet Potato Pie
Pecan Pie

Okay, that's all...I think!

We also had Greek Coffee which is much like Turkish Coffee (very rich and thick).
Excellent menu! I especially like the Pumpkin Creme Brulee, Beans Alamadine, and the very Louisianna/New England Stuffing w/bourbon/pecan/fruit/nut stuffing. You guys don't need recipes in here, you have a very Americana menu with falvor, color presentation, and diversity that welcomes excitement. Rather than two Turkeys you might consider in the future, a Turkey and one or two Ducks, or Pheasant, or Capon with very different stuffings and presentations.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:57 pm

You have no idea... you just made my day!!!!!!!! I think we should try a duck too!!!!!!!!!!! Or a pheasant!!!!!!!!!!!

:pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

I'll post the Pumpkin Creme Brulee recipe for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll post them all!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

:wave:

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:07 pm

Wow, I eat really plain compared to you guys.

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:28 pm

tattulip wrote:Wow, I eat really plain compared to you guys.
I'm with you :ohwell:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:29 pm

Food can be passion, and it doesn't have to be that expensive. Whooops! I just had to take out a loan to but a dozen ears of corn.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:16 am

falvegas wrote:
Food can be passion, and it doesn't have to be that expensive. Whooops! I just had to take out a loan to but a dozen ears of corn.
I agree 100% that food can be a passion and it doesn't have to be expensive!!!!!!!!

But, as long as you enjoy your meals when you sit down to them then you have passion for what you're serving.

For me... to see the faces, the smiles, and the eyes grow large as you serve a meal, to hear the ooohs and ahhhs, and to feel the hugs after the meal it's worth 10 million dollars every time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) It makes me feel like a queen and important. I love how I feel when I know I've wowed my family with a meal. :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:17 am

falvegas wrote:
:lolh: I'm afraid that this may be the case if we continue down the path we are currently on in this country.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:31 am

cranberry sauce with port and dried figs

The dried figs add a chewy sweetness to this delicious sauce.
Makes about 3 1/2 cups.

1 2/3 cups ruby Port
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
8 dried black Mission figs, stemmed, chopped
1 6-inch-long sprig fresh rosemary
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 12-ounce bag fresh cranberries
3/4 cup sugar

Combine first 6 ingredients in medium saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes. Discard rosemary. Mix in cranberries and 3/4 cup sugar. Cook over medium heat until liquid is slightly reduced and berries burst, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes. Cool. Transfer sauce to bowl; chill until cold. (Cranberry sauce can be prepared 1 week ahead. Cover and keep refrigerated.)

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:01 am

falvegas wrote:Excellent menu! I especially like the Pumpkin Creme Brulee, Beans Alamadine, and the very Louisianna/New England Stuffing w/bourbon/pecan/fruit/nut stuffing. You guys don't need recipes in here, you have a very Americana menu with falvor, color presentation, and diversity that welcomes excitement. Rather than two Turkeys you might consider in the future, a Turkey and one or two Ducks, or Pheasant, or Capon with very different stuffings and presentations.

Sweet Potato Praline Souffle
Recipe courtesy Anne Simms Pincus, New Orleans Famous Praline Company

6 pounds sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon cane syrup
1/3 cup non-fat sweetened condensed milk
2 sticks butter, softened
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 orange, juiced
1 lemon, zested
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon sugar
Pinch ground nutmeg
1 cup raisins
2 cups pecans, chopped
8 ounces (about 6) large pralines, broken

Italian Meringue, recipe below

Bake sweet potatoes in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour until fork tender. Remove peels. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine potatoes, cane syrup, condensed milk, butter and brown sugar. Add the orange juice, lemon zest and juice. Blend thoroughly with the paddle attachment until smooth. Sprinkle in the cinnamon sugar, nutmeg, raisins and pecans. Finally, remove the bowl from the mixer and add the pralines; fold gently through the mixture.
Transfer mixture to a 2 1/2 quart glass baking dish. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Top with meringue. Return to oven and broil 7 minutes until the meringue is golden brown.

Italian Meringue
1 cup superfine sugar
1/3 cup water
5 egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

In a small pot over low heat, combine sugar and water. Swirl the pot over the burner to dissolve the sugar completely. Do not stir. Increase the heat and boil to soft-ball stage (235 to 240 degrees). Use a candy thermometer for accuracy. Wash down the inside wall of the pot with a wet pastry brush. This will help prevent sugar crystals from forming around the sides, falling in and causing a chain reaction. Prepare your meringue.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip the eggs whites on low speed until foamy. Add the cream of tartar, increase the speed to medium, and beat until soft peaks form.

With the mixer running, pour the hot sugar syrup in a thin stream over fluffed egg whites. Beat until the egg whites are stiff and glossy. Spread the meringue over a hot cake or pie, and bake as directed.

For Meringue Cloud Cookies: Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Dollop spoonfuls of meringue onto baking pans, alternatively you may use a pastry bag with a star tip. Bake for 2 hours until crisp. Turn off the oven and allow meringues to cool and completely dry out.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Falvegas, you're going to LOVE this recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:01 pm

Sweet Potato Praline Soufflé & Cran Sauce w/Port & Figs

Thanks, both excellent Recipes
My brother and I talked about this years Thanksgiving, he’ll be out here a few weeks before so we can get started. We start about 5 or 6 days ahead.

Pixie, the Soufflé looks very interesting. I think we’ll use it. We may eliminate the ‘Raisins’ and add another fruit. We don’t consume grapes unless they’re ‘fermented’ Ahem…
We may also eliminate the Meringue and sprinkle the top with maybe the crumbled Pralines.

We like the Port and the Figs in the Cran Sauce so we may modify our own to incorporate some of your ingredients. The one we use is as follows.

1-C water & 1-C Sugar
1/4-C Apple Juice (could use Port here)
1 Pkg. Cranberries
2 Tangerines, peeled and pureed with some of the Zest
1 pear - peeled, cored and diced
6 ounces dried fruit bits (Good Place to use Figs)
1 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Boil water & sugar & Apple Juice until dissolved. Reduce to simmer, add cranberries, pureed Tangerine, pear, dried fruits, pecans, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir to combine. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, until cranberries burst. Cool

My Brother and I decided to, as in most years; have appetizers before dinner that are diverse from the dinner itself. This year we’ll be putting out a Fondue (Jarlsberg, Emmenthaler, Kirsch etc) with Pumpkin Bread Cubes and chunks of Grilled Lobster. We’ll also surround this with a variety of Smoked Salmons & Crostini with Goat Cheese and Brie. This with Cranberry Wine Coolers.

We’re not through with the main meal yet but the options are as follows:
• One 15 – 18 lb Turkey & Two Ducks (diverse stuffing’s)
• One 15- 18 Lb Turkey, One Duck, and One good size Goose

We've done Pheasant before but not for Thanksgiving. We'd have to cook more of them and they're a little more time consuming. One thought would be a Salad with Cranberries and Sliced Cold Pheasant. I'll have to think about it.

We’re still deciding on the first course, soup, salad or combo…we’ll get there. Thanks for the help.

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:18 pm

Pixie wrote:
falvegas wrote:
I agree 100% that food can be a passion and it doesn't have to be expensive!!!!!!!!

But, as long as you enjoy your meals when you sit down to them then you have passion for what you're serving.

For me... to see the faces, the smiles, and the eyes grow large as you serve a meal, to hear the ooohs and ahhhs, and to feel the hugs after the meal it's worth 10 million dollars every time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) It makes me feel like a queen and important. I love how I feel when I know I've wowed my family with a meal. :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:
You're description is similar to how I feel about cooking. Good food makes people happy and that gives me so much pleasure that I can't even describe it. I made a Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake for my co-workers Monday and they're still talking about it. We were talking about food for Halloween Friday and they were all saying they voted for more Pumpkin Cheesecake. That made me feel awesome. To me, there's food you eat and there's food you ENJOY. There is a major difference in the two. I love to make food that people ENJOY. I'm still trying to come up with some food for Friday with a Halloween theme.