Soup Season

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Soup Season

Post by tattulip » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:36 pm

I love soup and make a lot in the winter. I could use some new soup recipes. You don't necessarily have to post the recipe - I can go out on the Internet and find them - but what soups do you make?

Johnny 99
Formerly known as "kad"
Location: I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Re: Soup Season

Post by Johnny 99 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:14 pm

tattulip wrote:I love soup and make a lot in the winter. I could use some new soup recipes. You don't necessarily have to post the recipe - I can go out on the Internet and find them - but what soups do you make?
Usually Campbell's, but sometimes, when I'm feeling adventurous, I will try a good Progresso soup.

:mrgreen:

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:34 pm

Kad wrote:
tattulip wrote:I love soup and make a lot in the winter. I could use some new soup recipes. You don't necessarily have to post the recipe - I can go out on the Internet and find them - but what soups do you make?
Usually Campbell's, but sometimes, when I'm feeling adventurous, I will try a good Progresso soup.

:mrgreen:
Gee, where do you find the time? :lol:

GoodBoy
...is a Good Boy
Location: I will Pray for Obama... Prayer triumphs over anger.

Post by GoodBoy » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:47 am

I made chicken noodle soup yesterday. Used a whole chicken stewed for 4 hours. Cut the tops off of a bag of whole unpeeled carrots and the tops of a stalk of celery, with the leaves. One whole onion ,1 clove chopped garlic, 2 Tbs of poultry seasoning, 2 tsp salt and a couple pinches pepper.

Simmer all of it together for the 4 hours. throw away the veggies, add the seasoning, debone the chicken and throw the meat back in along with a new carrot cut up in this slices.. when they are soft.. put the noodles in.

I let it set in the fridge overnight.. flavors meld. You control what goes in the stock. no additives.

I also make a soup that is fairly calorie free.

Two 16 oz cans tomato sauce
one small can tomato paste
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Water.
I use Cabbage, Carrots, Celery, Turnips, etc... whatever you want.. but I usually don't use starchy veggies.
Its a basic veggie soup but I use Turnips instead of potatoes because when cooked in the tomato sauce, you really can't tell much of a difference.
All the seasoning is to taste. Add the water in cups to see how tomato-y you want it. Heck you know more about cooking than I do lol.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:02 am

:wave: TatTulip!

Oh, I couldn't pass up this opportunity to post a recipe for pumpkin soup!!!!!!! It's the perfect time of year! :clap2: :clap2:

GINGER PUMPKIN BISQUE

2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup chopped shallots
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup apple cider
1 (15- or 16-ounce) can pumpkin
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
2 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup half-and-half or whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Whipping cream (optional)
Fresh thyme (optional)

In a 3-quart saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add the shallots,
onion, and ginger; cook until tender. Stir in the flour. Carefully
add the chicken broth and cider all at once. Cook and stir over
medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Stir in the pumpkin, maple
syrup, bay leaves, dried thyme, cinnamon, pepper, and cloves.

Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.

Remove from heat. Discard bay leaves. Cool slightly. Pour one-fourth
to one-third of mixture into a blender container or food processor
bowl. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Pour into a bowl.

Repeat with remaining mixture until all is processed. Return the
mixture to the saucepan. Stir in the 1 cup half-and-half or whipping
cream and the vanilla. Heat through, but do not boil. Ladle into soup bowls.
If desired, swirl a little whipping cream into each serving; garnish with fresh thyme.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.

9outof10

Post by 9outof10 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:30 am

Turn your ham dinner into soup.

Buy a ham but from the local butcher. Cook in liquid consisting of equal parts cider vinegar and brown sugar with a tsp of crushed cloves. Cook at 350 degrees until meat strts to seperate from bone. That is dinner one. Serve with favorite sides.

Now the soup.

Remove left over meat from the bone. Cut into bite size pieces. Save the bone. Dice a bunch of celery and an onion. Remember, I am Italian. We do not actually measure anything. We just add stuff. So use as little or as much as you wish. Now, in your big stock pot, sweat out the onions and celery in olive oil with a few pats of butter. Please, use butter when cooking. Not processed oils and fat.....errrr....I mean margarine. Add the ham and let that cook a bit with the other stuff. Add the leftover pot juice from the ham. Add some water. Throw in a can or two of pinto beans. Or use your favorite. Season with whatever you like. Salt, pepper, whatever. Remember, you are cooking not making a rocket ship. Let that simmer for a while to the veggies are nice and soft. Add a box, or half a box, of ditalini pasta. You can precook the pasta and than add just before serving or let it cook in the soup. I prefer in the soup so the pasta absorbs the flavor. Careful how much pasta you use. It WILL soak up the liquid. A whole box, depending on how much liquid there is, will make it thick enough to eat with a fork.

I make this a lot in the winter. Both meals, combined, cost around ten dollars and there is usually enough soup to break down and freeze into two or three containers.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:58 am

tattulip, the variety of Soups and Stews are almost infinite, and range from the very simple, to the exotic, and some that are quite time consuming. Bottom Line is, what are your preferences? I assume during the winter you prefer hearty hot soups, and there one needs to know if you have any dietary limitations i.e. salt, animal fat, sugar, sensitivity or reaction to seafoods, vegetarian only etc.

Recommend you outline your basic preferences or leanings, and we can post some ideas and recipes.