Low Carb

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:26 pm

I remember using spaghetti squash instead of spaghetti when I was doing low carb. I eat a lot of boiled eggs and cheese. Be careful with the veggies and fruits some are high in carbs.

College Boy
You can call me College Professor Boy
Location: Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun, or the rain.

Post by College Boy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:51 pm

Did you try string beans and steak?

-Mike

College Boy

Post by College Boy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:38 pm

iamlookingup wrote:
college boy wrote:Did you try string beans and steak?
Steak is definitely okay, and string beans are better than bread, but I think they're still considered moderately high in carbs as far as vegetables go. :dunno:
I find that as long as I limit my portion of string beans to a pound and a half not including the garlic or olive oil, it has no ill effects on my waist line and may even reduce my weight by curbing my hunger.

-Mike

College Boy

Post by College Boy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:56 pm

iamlookingup wrote:http://home.hiwaay.net/~mevinson/CarbCount.htm

Apparently, a cup of string beans has about 6 carbs. If I could afford to eat steak and string beans 3 times a day, I'd be okay with that. :cool:
String beans are cheap, 95 cents a pound at Walmart. Different cuts of steak cost different amounts. I like porterhouse, which is crazy expensive, but you can get a nice sirloin steak for $4/pound. I don't really think more than a pound to a pound and a half of steak person per day is a good idea.

-Mike

Margie

Post by Margie » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:53 pm

Dried beans are cheap and nutritious. You can make lots of soups and chilis using all sorts of beans. They are listed G for all phases in the South Beach guide.

Carl

Re: Low Carb

Post by Carl » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:08 pm

iamlookingup wrote:http://www.examiner.com/x-355-Low-Carb-Examiner

Stupid question #3,493,322:

How do I shred the zucchini? :dunno: Do I need a food processor? If so, I'm SOL. :noparty:
Zucchini....that's a green thing, right?

I'd use a shotgun.

Doc Trock

Post by Doc Trock » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:15 am

Carl wrote:
iamlookingup wrote:http://www.examiner.com/x-355-Low-Carb-Examiner

Stupid question #3,493,322:

How do I shred the zucchini? :dunno: Do I need a food processor? If so, I'm SOL. :noparty:
Zucchini....that's a green thing, right?

I'd use a shotgun.
Steam it, and drag a fork over it the long way. You'll strip off pasta-like pieces of zucchini.

This technique works even better on spaghetti squash, but without checking, I'd opine that the spaghetti sqaush is fairly starchy....not what you want for low carb diet. Look into it to see if that's the case.

Peppers, tomatos, mushrooms....all great.

Also, for dessert you can't go wrong with peaches and cream---real whipping cream only. Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries....basically berries. Whipping cream has zero carbs....much better in your coffee than lowfat!

A nice big bowl of berries with creamcheese, or whipped cream makes a lovely dessert, which is sometimes what you need after choking down yet another steak with stilton blue cheese crumbles and mushrooms/onions. Mmmmmmmm.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:21 pm

Baked Egg Custard with Gruyere and Chives
Serves 8

2 C coarsely grated Gruyere (6 oz)
1/2 C chopped chives
10 large eggs
1 1/2 C whole mile
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 t grated nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350° F with rack in middle. Butter a 2-qt. shallow (2 inches) baking dish.
Sprinkle Gruyere and chives evenly in dish.
Blend eggs, milk, cream cheese, and nutmeg in a blender with ½ t pepper and ¼ t salt until smooth.
Pour egg mixture over Gruyere and chives in dish and bake until puffed, set, and golden, 35 to 45 minutes.

Serve warm or at room temperature.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This is an excellent low-carb dish for breakfast or lunch!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just add a meat and you have a full meal!!!!!!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:40 pm

Turkey Sausage Patties
Makes 24 Patties

1 small onion, finely chopped
5 T vegetable or olive oil, divided
½ C coarse fresh breadcrumbs
3 T milk
2 lb. ground dark-meat turkey
¼ t grated nutmeg
¼ t cinnamon
¼ t cayenne
1/8 t ground cloves
2 large egg yolks

Preheat oven to 250° F.

Cook onion in 1T oil in a 12” nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat.

Meanwhile, stir together breadcrumbs and milk in a large bowl and let stand 5 minutes.
Add onion to crumbs (reserve skillet), then add turkey, nutmeg, cinnamon, cayenne, cloves, yolks, 2 t salt, and 1 t black pepper and combine well.

Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper (or Silpat).

Form 24 (2” wide) patties (about ½ inch thick) with damp hands and arrange on plate.

Heat 1T oil in skillet over medium heat until hot, and then cook patties in batches, turning once, until browned and just cooked through, about 8 minutes per batch. Drain briefly on paper towels, and then keep warm on a parchment lined (or Silpat) baking sheet, loosely covered with foil, in oven.

Wipe out skillet and add 1T oil for each batch.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This would be an excellent accompaniment to the Egg Custard!!!!!!!!!

Johnny 99
Formerly known as "kad"
Location: I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Post by Johnny 99 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:52 pm

Okay, here is a serious (for me, anyway) post in the Recipe forum.

When I was doing the South Beach, I would cook some kind of meat on the grill and stir fry zucchini and squash together. Now, I'm not a gourmet but with the proper amount of seasoning, this is a great addition to any meat.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:00 pm

iamlookingup wrote::hmm: I don't know if I've ever tasted Gruyere cheese. :dunno:

Is it expensive?

It's in the Swiss family but it's a mild Swiss cheese. It's really good!!!!!!!! It's not too expensive!!!!!! It's going to be 6 or 7 dollars a pound!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:01 pm

Kad wrote:Okay, here is a serious (for me, anyway) post in the Recipe forum.

When I was doing the South Beach, I would cook some kind of meat on the grill and stir fry zucchini and squash together. Now, I'm not a gourmet but with the proper amount of seasoning, this is a great addition to any meat.

Sounds very good to me!!!!!!!!!!!! And a great way to stretch your dollar!!!!!!!!!!!

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:35 pm

Pixie wrote:
iamlookingup wrote::hmm: I don't know if I've ever tasted Gruyere cheese. :dunno:

Is it expensive?

It's in the Swiss family but it's a mild Swiss cheese. It's really good!!!!!!!! It's not too expensive!!!!!! It's going to be 6 or 7 dollars a pound!
A good Gruyere $6 to $7 per pound? At least that! It's one of my very best favorite cheese.
Prices I've seen are between 10 an 20 dollars/pound for the cave aged stuff. But it is the best.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:41 pm

Go to your local library and see if they have the Atkins books. The have some great recipes for salad dressings and an excellent BBQ sauce. A steamed onion is low carbs and low fat and quite tasty!

For Greek dressing, get some sprinkle-on "greek seasoning" from the spice section at the grocery, add a tablespoon or two to some olive oil and let it set a spell. Add a little Balsamic (or cider) vinegar to taste.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:46 pm

falvegas wrote:
Pixie wrote:

Is it expensive?

A good Gruyere $6 to $7 per pound? At least that! It's one of my very best favorite cheese.
Prices I've seen are between 10 an 20 dollars/pound for the cave aged stuff. But it is the best.
:lolh: Don't you think she can find a suitable Gruyere, for a casserole, at that price?????

Because of the way it is used I wasn't thinking she should go with "the best." I only go for the best if I'm eating it on it's own, or with a hunk of bread and a glass of wine, and nothing more!!!!! :lolh:

What do you think?????????? :)

:wave: :wave: :wave:
Last edited by Pixie on Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:03 pm

I don't suppose Velveeta would get it?

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:05 pm

Fatherducque wrote:I don't suppose Velveeta would get it?

:lolh: There are some substitutions you could make but Velveeta wouldn't be one!!!!!!!! :lolh:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:35 pm

Pixie wrote:
Fatherducque wrote:I don't suppose Velveeta would get it?

:lolh: There are some substitutions you could make but Velveeta wouldn't be one!!!!!!!! :lolh:

I know. Years ago I read the name on a package of American Cheese, and it was 'American Process Cheese Food'. When I read the ingredients it was like a specification out of Monsanto.

But California is now producing cheeses that are quite genuine and competing with the French. Then of course, a lot of the French have moved there.