Cheesecake recipes?

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
ToBeannounced

Post by ToBeannounced » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:46 pm

Gotcha' covered. But you must promise that you didn't hear this one from me. It is wayyyyy easy. Embarrasingly so.

White Chocolate Cheesecake

l pkg. cream cheese (8 oz.)
2 pkg's Jello white chocolate pudding
2 cups cold milk, divided
l container Cool Whip, thawed (do you have Cool Whip there?)
l graham cracker pie crust (homemade or store-bought, doesn't matter)

Beat cream cheese and l/2 c. milk with wire whisk. Add the rest of the milk and the jello mixes. Beat for one minute.
Stir (don't beat) in Cool Whip until blended. Pile into crust. Refrigerate at least 4 hours. Garnish with white chocolate curls or with sliced strawberries or other berries. I like to stick a milk chocolate leaf into each individual slice as a garnish but you can do whatever you like.

Enjoy!

College Boy
You can call me College Professor Boy
Location: Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun, or the rain.

Post by College Boy » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:07 pm

Isn't Cool Whip like made from a petroleum distallate? Can we use regular whipped cream?

-Mike

ToBeannounced

Post by ToBeannounced » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:33 pm

A little petrol in your pie won't hurt you.

I suppose you could use the real thing. You would have to whip it first, and separately, and then fold it into the mixture, as opposed to stirring it in. This is supposed to be an "easy" recipe Mike!

:lolh:

streetsoldier
General von Nuisance

Post by streetsoldier » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:46 pm

I have an awesome cheesecake recipe I got out of a Hare Krishna (SP?) cookbook 30 years ago...
So, it WAS you I bought a flower from at the airport in 1978! You looked different in that orange robe...

ToBeannounced

Post by ToBeannounced » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:25 pm

Just when you thought it couldn't get any easier:

Cinnamon Cheesecake

2 (10 ounce) cans refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Flatten one tube of crescent roll dough, and press into the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan. In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese with 1 cup sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the dough in the pan. Unroll the remaining crescent roll dough, and place over the top of the cream cheese layer. Spread melted butter over the top, and sprinkle the top with a mixture of 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon.
Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until top is lightly toasted. Cool, and refrigerate before serving.

Half a cup of melted butter spread over the top? Come on! How can this not be good?

:lolh:

l/2 cup sugar over the top is just plain over the top. I would reduce that to l/4 cup unless you want all your teeth to fall out.

:hmm:

ToBeannounced

Post by ToBeannounced » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:53 am

Yes, I was thinking that you could add a tsp. of a liqueur such as Gran Marnier to the cheesecake mixture itself in which case you could just elminate the cinnamon and then garnish with a swirl of orange zest or candied orange peel.

If you don't want booze in your cheesecake (I can't imagine why you wouldn't :saywhat: ), you could add a l/2 tsp. of your favourite extract, be it peppermint, lemon, maple or banana and then garnish accordingly.

Margie

Post by Margie » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:57 am

I always liked the New York Style Cheesecake that is higher and tastes a little drier than others. Anyone have a good recipe for it?

Justine

Post by Justine » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:34 am

New York Cheese Cake
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Crust
1 & 1/2 C. crushed graham crackers
2 tspn sugar
2 tspn melted butter
1/4 tspn cinnamon

Filling
4 8oz cream cheese
6 eggs
16 oz sour cream
2 C. sugar
2 tspn vanilla extract

Mix crust ingredients and grease only the bottom of a 9 x 3 spring form pan. Press crust mixture into bottom of pan.
Beat cheese until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating constantly. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each. Add vanilla. Fold in sour cream until well-blended. Pour into pan, bake 45 minutes, turn off oven & keep oven door closed for an hour. Remove, cool to room temperature. Release side of pan and refrigerate 1 day before serving.

This is an easy and excellent recipe. Sometimes I top the cheesecake with cherry or blueberry pie filling. Fresh fruit would be great, too!

Margie

Post by Margie » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:56 am

Sounds great, Justine! I like the idea of cinnamon in the crust.

Justine

Post by Justine » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:37 pm

Sometimes I just use cinnamon graham crackers. or, if I don't have graham crackers, i crush up Oreo cookies, also good!

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:10 pm

Justine wrote:Sometimes I just use cinnamon graham crackers. or, if I don't have graham crackers, i crush up Oreo cookies, also good!
:wave: Justine!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Saturday!!!!!!!!!

:wave:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:12 pm

:wave: IALU!!!!!!!!

I just made the Brownies w/Orange Cream Cheese Frosting recipe that I posted awhile ago and when I opened the box of cream cheese this recipe was printed on the box.

Philadelphia Peaches 'n Cream No-Bake Cheesecake

2 C Honey Maid Graham Cracker Crumbs
6 T butter, melted
1 C sugar, divided
4 pkg. (8 oz. each) Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
1 pkg. (4-serving size) Jell-O Brand Peach Flavor Gelatin (I think you could use your favorite flavor)
2 peaches, peeled and chopped (match the fruit to your favorite Jello flavor)
1 tub (8 oz.) Cool Whip Whipped Topping, thawed

Mix graham cracker crumbs, butter and 1/4 cup of the sugar; press onto bottom of 13x9 Pyrex Baking Dish. Refrigerate while preparing filling.

Beat cream cheese and remaining 3/4 cup sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until well blended. Add dry gelatin mix; mix well. Stir in peaches and whipped topping. Spoon over crust; cover and refrigerate 4 hours or until firm. Store leftovers in refrigerator. Makes 16 servings.

I don't know if it gets any easier than this!!!!!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Justine

Post by Justine » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:36 pm

Hi Pixie!!!!

How are the Brownies w/Orange Cream Cheese Frosting you just made? Sounds GREAT! :pixie:

(the emoticon is named pixie!)

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:30 pm

:wave: Justine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I swear I could eat the frosting by the spoonful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know if it was TatTulip or IALU but one of them named her for me and I've posted about it several times but no one is fessing up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) :) :) I've posted how happy it makes me!!!!!!!!!!! I've never known nicer people who run a Board than the people here!!!!!!!!!!!! I REALLY mean that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :givehug: :givehug: :givehug: :givehug:

I'll post pictures of the Brownies tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

Pixie

Re: Cheesecake recipes?

Post by Pixie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:59 pm

iamlookingup wrote:I bet I know what kad is thinking...

phpBB [video]

:laugh: :clap2: :clap2: :laugh:

Johnny 99
Formerly known as "kad"
Location: I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Post by Johnny 99 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:18 pm

Pixie wrote:
iamlookingup wrote:I bet I know what kad is thinking...

phpBB [video]

:laugh: :clap2: :clap2: :laugh:
Um,

:shatnerno:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:54 pm

** Chocolate Cheesecake Cupcakes
** Pecan-Praline Cheesecake with Caramel Sauce

Chocolate Cheesecake Cupcakes
Filling Ingredients
1/2 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup mini chocolate chips (8 ounces)
Batter Ingredients
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
Salt
1 cup water
1 large egg
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon white vinegar
Topping Ingredients
1/2 cup blanched sliced almonds
1/3 cup sugar
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350°
** Line 20 muffin-pan cups with foil liners.
** Filling: In a bowl with electric mixer, beat the Cream Cheese with the Sugar, Egg and Salt until smooth. Stir in the Chocolate Chips.
** Batter: In a large bowl, whisk the Flour with the Sugar, Cocoa, Baking Soda and a pinch of salt. In a small bowl, whisk the Water with the Egg, Vegetable Oil, Vanilla and Vinegar. On low, beat liquid ingredients into dry ingredients until a smooth batter forms.
** Spoon Batter into the prepared muffin cups to halfway. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of the Cream Cheese Filling into the center of each cupcake. Sprinkle the almonds and sugar on top.
** Bake Cupcakes in upper and lower thirds of the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until puffed and springy to the touch. Switch pans halfway through. Unmold the cupcakes; let cool on racks before serving.

Pecan-Praline Cheesecake with Caramel Sauce

Ingredients-Crust
1/2 cup pecan halves
1 stick plus 1/2 teaspoon unsalted butter, melted
1/3 cup plus 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream
Pinch of salt
2 packets graham crackers (about 10 ounces), crushed
Ingredients Filling
1 pound full-fat cream cheese, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
24 ounces full-fat sour cream
Caramel Sauce, for serving (recipe following)
Directions
Preheat the oven to 375°.
** Crust: Line a baking sheet with parchment. Wrap outside of 10-inch springform with Foil
** In a bowl, toss Pecans with 1/2 Tsp Butter, 1/2 TBS granulated sugar, the Brown Sugar, Cream and Salt. Spread the Nuts on the prepared baking sheet and arrange them in a single layer. Bake about 18 minutes until Sugar is caramelized and Pecans are toasted. Let cool.
** Reserve 12 Pecans, transfer remaining to a food processor. Add Graham Crackers and pulse until finely ground. Add remaining stick of Melted Butter and 1/3 cup Granulated Sugar. Pulse until crumbs are moistened. Press Crumbs over the bottom of the pan and two-thirds of the way up the side of the prepared springform pan.
** Filling: In a clean Processor, pulse Cream Cheese with the Sugar until smooth. Add the Eggs, one at a time, and pulse until incorporated. Scrape down sides of the bowl. Pulse in Vanilla and Sour Cream.
** Scrape the batter into the Pan and Bake in the center of the oven for about 1 hour, until the top of the cheesecake is lightly golden in spots and the center is slightly jiggly. Transfer to a rack and let cool completely. Wrap in plastic and Refrigerate Overnight.
** Unwrap Cheesecake, discard foil. Remove Ring and transfer cake to a plate.
** Arrange the 12 reserved pecans on top. With warm moistened knife, cut cake wedges, wiping and rewetting blade between. Transfer to plates and pour some of the Caramel Sauce on top. Serve with the remaining Caramel Sauce.

Caramel Sauce
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
DirectionsIn Saucepan combine Butter with all Sugars. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook over moderate high heat 2 minutes, stirring. Add the Cream and boil 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a pitcher, and stir in Vanilla and Salt. Refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:34 pm

iamlookingup wrote:
falvegas wrote:** Chocolate Cheesecake Cupcakes

:drool:
Is this the same IALU whose scales insult her, stalking cheesecake recipes? :mrgreen:

"...and lead me not into temptation." :nyanya:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:45 pm

Fatherducque wrote:
iamlookingup wrote:
falvegas wrote:** Chocolate Cheesecake Cupcakes

:drool:
Is this the same IALU whose scales insult her, stalking cheesecake recipes? :mrgreen:

"...and lead me not into temptation." :nyanya:
I thought this might wake you up, Fatherducque.
But it doesn't have the sherry like 'Sherry Orleans Pralines' or the Cochineal like 'Pralines Rose De Coco'.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:07 pm

falvegas wrote:
But it doesn't have the sherry like 'Sherry Orleans Pralines' or the Cochineal like 'Pralines Rose De Coco'.
Both of those recipes sound fascinating. It really challenges the imagination to think of how a praline could be made better. Did you post these,or should I chase them down?

The biggest challenge is to get past my wife and makes them. My wife makes a superior praline (as does her mother) but uses no recipe. The secrets are as follows:

- One uses the praline pan to make them. The praline pan is a 3 qt. Duncan Hines clad copper sauce pan I had when we got married. The rest of the set are long gone, but this pot has the perfect thermal response for pralines. I am not even allowed to boil water in it, lest I wear it out.

- The pecans come from a certain set wild pecan trees along Bayou Chavin. MawMaw picks them up and shells them. They have a very strong pecan flavor - these are not the paper shells you get from the store, which are bred for disease resistance and thin shells. These have flavor! (I found one pecan tree (a natural mutation, I suppose) that has the best tasting pecans EVER. I sprouted three nuts from it in my yard, for future use!)

Her recipe is simple and varies only that she uses some Steen's Cane Syrup for flavor and double dose of pure vanilla extract. Powdered pecans and halves are cooked in the mix, not added later.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:51 am

Fatherducque wrote:
falvegas wrote:
Both of those recipes sound fascinating. It really challenges the imagination to think of how a praline could be made better. Did you post these,or should I chase them down?

The biggest challenge is to get past my wife and makes them. My wife makes a superior praline (as does her mother) but uses no recipe. The secrets are as follows:

- One uses the praline pan to make them. The praline pan is a 3 qt. Duncan Hines clad copper sauce pan I had when we got married. The rest of the set are long gone, but this pot has the perfect thermal response for pralines. I am not even allowed to boil water in it, lest I wear it out.

- The pecans come from a certain set wild pecan trees along Bayou Chavin. MawMaw picks them up and shells them. They have a very strong pecan flavor - these are not the paper shells you get from the store, which are bred for disease resistance and thin shells. These have flavor! (I found one pecan tree (a natural mutation, I suppose) that has the best tasting pecans EVER. I sprouted three nuts from it in my yard, for future use!)

Her recipe is simple and varies only that she uses some Steen's Cane Syrup for flavor and double dose of pure vanilla extract. Powdered pecans and halves are cooked in the mix, not added later.
Oh Ya, I think I still have those recipes (from Ursuline Convent, New Orleans). Not sure the Nuns still have a facility there anymore, not much else is there. And I remember the Pralines made in a 3 foot wide Copper Cauldron, downtown New Orleans. My God, I loved New Orleans. It got so 'tourista' , but it was the people, the music, the food, extraordinary.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:13 am

My God, I loved New Orleans. It got so 'tourista' , but it was the people, the music, the food, extraordinary.
New Orleanians are a special breed. I still find it impossible to describe the charm of the place.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:50 am

:lolh: I love that little noparty emote!!!!!!!!!!! :lolh: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

It's Christmas!!!!!!!!! Eat all the cheesecake you want!!! January comes around too soon!!!!! We can diet then!!!!!!!!! :noparty: :noparty:

:pixie: :pixie: :pixie: