Breakfast/Brunch Recipes

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Breakfast/Brunch Recipes

Post by tattulip » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:51 pm

As you may have read elsewhere on the forum, I am helping a friend with his B&B. He has someone managing it but he says she isn't big into the food. I think she absolutely HAS to have a great breakfast. Sooooooo, I am going to start trying recipes and find ones that are easy but great. Then I am going to give her the recipes and basically make up 3 menus for her to follow.
So what great but fairly easy breakfast/brunch recipes do you have?

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:59 pm

Basic fare that she should put out every morning would be:

Oatmeal w/selections of dried fruits and cinnamon sugar
Scones
Muffins
Cold cereal w/milk - skim and regular
Fresh fruit
Orange juice
One other juice - grapefruit or tomato (just suggestions)

This menu, for breakfast, can stay permanent with, as you say, three rotations!

I'll start pulling recipes for you!!!!!!!!!!

The oatmeal - just use Quaker Oats Old Fashion (it will hold up better in a crock pot).

Cereals (hot and cold), milk, fresh fruit, dried fruits, and juice (with and without pulp) can come from the local market.

:runamuck:

I'll come up with a more brunch type menu but that will take a few minutes longer!

Johnny 99
Formerly known as "kad"
Location: I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Post by Johnny 99 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:35 pm

iamlookingup wrote:I have a grits recipe that has eggs and velveeta "cheese" in it. It sounds gross, but everytime I serve it, I get rave reviews.

You can save it and serve it cold, too.

I'll post the recipe later. It's pretty simple.
I'm sorry, but I think the person who came up with grits should be stoned and beaten with a stick, along side the person who decided that Brussels Sprouts were edible.

:rofl:

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:59 pm

We don't eat grits this far Nawth. I did have those cheesy grits at a restaurant the other day though and they were tasty!

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:34 pm

Kad wrote:
iamlookingup wrote:I have a grits recipe that has eggs and velveeta "cheese" in it. It sounds gross, but everytime I serve it, I get rave reviews.

I'm sorry, but I think the person who came up with grits should be stoned and beaten with a stick, along side the person who decided that Brussels Sprouts were edible.

I agree, but just to be fair when I moved south I decided to try grits at 3 different restaurants. I still hate them. :mrgreen:

College Boy
You can call me College Professor Boy
Location: Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun, or the rain.

Post by College Boy » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:42 pm

Aren't grits just corn meal and milk? I don't see how someone could eat corn meal and milk.

-Mike

Johnny 99
Formerly known as "kad"
Location: I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Post by Johnny 99 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:15 pm

college boy wrote:Aren't grits just corn meal and milk? I don't see how someone could eat corn meal and milk.

-Mike
I think they taste like what comes from a cow after the cow has eaten the corn meal.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:21 pm

tattulip wrote:We don't eat grits this far Nawth.
So that's why y'all talk so funny. Brain damage from a grits deficiency!

Beignets are a nice beginning to a breakfast. Make up some biscuit dough (use milk , not water), or canned biscuit dough, or prepared (ready to bake) french bread dough. Roll to 1/4" thick and cut it into 2" squares, then into triangles, and deep fry them in peanut oil. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with coffee.

SIL makes them in narrow strips and serves them with a dipping sauce of condensed milk mixed with cocoa (about 1/2 and 1/2). This sauce can cause diabetes in people on the next block.

These will keep the guests amused while the hot stuff cooks.

Another good breakfast thing is a virgin Bloody Mary with a celery stick. Use a spicy mix, like Zing-Zang or Tabasco, and add a light sprinkle of coarse black pepper if you don't use Zing-Zang.
Last edited by Fatherducque on Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:07 am

Fatherducque!

This all sounds wonderful! I love the recipe for the beignets!

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:37 am

Pixie wrote:Fatherducque!

Forgot to add "Roll dough to about 1/4""!

The "official" beignet is made from French bread dough, but I find the Pioneer brand biscuit mix, made with milk, is a very good substitute. If you can't get Pioneer, use Bisquick (again use milk, not water). The finished beignet should look like a little pillow.

Buggernuts

Post by Buggernuts » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:24 am

I have not made these yet, but they look and sound delicious (and I trust P-Dub having made several of her recipes).

Sleepin' in Omelette

LandLover

Post by LandLover » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:40 am

college boy wrote:Aren't grits just corn meal and milk? I don't see how someone could eat corn meal and milk.

-Mike
Gross, I won't eat em.

Margie

Post by Margie » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:23 pm

I'd say a B&B needs some signature dishes to set them apart and keep people coming back for more. Like say, special recipe homemade doughnuts or fruit fritters on the breakfast menu?

Not being from the South, I never could see what's so great about grits. :whistle:

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:24 pm

Margie wrote:I'd say a B&B needs some signature dishes to set them apart and keep people coming back for more. Like say, special recipe homemade doughnuts or fruit fritters on the breakfast menu?
B&B=Boudin and Bud

The breakfast of simians!

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:05 pm

iamlookingup wrote:
Kad wrote:

:noparty:

I'm gonna post the recipe anyway. I'm Italian...if I say they taste good, then by-God, they taste good! :bat:
An offer we can't refuse. :laugh:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:55 pm

Fatherducque wrote:

The "official" beignet is made from French bread dough, but I find the Pioneer brand biscuit mix, made with milk, is a very good substitute. If you can't get Pioneer, use Bisquick (again use milk, not water). The finished beignet should look like a little pillow.
I know we have Pioneer sugar but I've never noticed Pioneer biscuit mix. It may be that I've never looked for it!

I keep Bisquick in my cupboard at all times! I've already scheduled my baking for the weekend but I'm going to give this recipe a try!

I'll let you know if I was successful! :)

Pixie

Re: Breakfast/Brunch Recipes

Post by Pixie » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:09 pm

:wave: TT!!

How is your friend's B&B doing???? Were we of any help??????

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet

Post by tattulip » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:41 pm

Pixie wrote::wave: TT!!

Well I haven't talked to him for awhile. Plans got changed. :mrgreen:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:10 am

tattulip wrote:
Pixie wrote::wave: TT!!

Well I haven't talked to him for awhile. Plans got changed. :mrgreen:
Well, let us know if we need to get cracking!!!!!!!!!!!! :lolh: I didn't really do my share here!!!!!!!!!!! :embarrassed:

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet

Post by tattulip » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:49 am

After the owner of the B&B proposed to me over the phone, I kinda lost my enthusiasm. :laugh:

Fatherducque

Re:

Post by Fatherducque » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:39 am

Pixie wrote:
Fatherducque wrote:

I know we have Pioneer sugar but I've never noticed Pioneer biscuit mix. It may be that I've never looked for it!

I keep Bisquick in my cupboard at all times! I've already scheduled my baking for the weekend but I'm going to give this recipe a try!

How did it go?

Another breakfast feast: The Camilla Grill Chili Cheese Omelette

Make an cheese omelette, using one or two slices of cheese. American cheese is traditional. Heat up some high quality chili (without beans) and pour over omelette before serving.

It is not traditional, but I sprinkle mine with freshly chopped onion.

Pixie

Re: Re:

Post by Pixie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:49 am

Fatherducque wrote:
Pixie wrote:
Fatherducque wrote:

How did it go?

Another breakfast feast: The Camilla Grill Chili Cheese Omelette

Make an cheese omelette, using one or two slices of cheese. American cheese is traditional. Heat up some high quality chili (without beans) and pour over omelette before serving.

It is not traditional, but I sprinkle mine with freshly chopped onion.
I haven't tried the recipe yet but I think New Years Day may be the perfect day to use this recipe!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for reminding me!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: