Easy Baked Bread

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
Martha

Easy Baked Bread

Post by Martha » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:59 am

I tried this recipe yesterday, and couldn't be more pleased with myself. This is the first time my bread has come out with the right texture and it couldnt be easier. Next time I want a little more flavor, so I'm open to suggestions. Maybe some garlic, or honey? I'm not vegan, so I use regular sugar, and bread making flour.

Outrageously Easy BIG Bread

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

2 packs of yeast
1/4 cup warm water
2 cups hot water
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
3 cups flour
1/3 cup vegetable or corn oil
3 cups flour

DIRECTIONS:

Note: This recipe works best if all ingredients are set out, ready to go, in advance. Also, make sure the vegan sugar, salt, flour, and oil are measured in the exact amounts called for.

Pour warm water into a small ceramic bowl and add the yeast, but DO NOT STIR. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, pour hot water over the vegan sugar and salt, then stir with a wooden spoon to completely dissolve. Combine 3 cups flour with the water mixture. Pour the oil on top of the dough mixture then add the yeast mixture on top of that, but DO NOT STIR. Top with the remaining 3 cups of flour and mix well. (I begin mixing with the wooden spoon but I very quickly have to move into squishing the dough with my hands.) At this point, the dough should be pliant and moist, but not gooey. Cover the bowl with a damp towel and set aside to rise for at least 45 minutes. (I've left it for almost two hours.)

On a lightly floured cutting board or countertop, divide the dough into half. (If my partners home, this is when I call him in to knead the dough -- a must in his opinion. But the recipe actually calls for no kneading; I've done this recipe many times without kneading anything and it always turns out really good.) Flatten each half into roughly an oval/rounded rectangular shape, about 1/2- to 3/4-inch thickness; then roll the dough lengthwise and place on an ungreased, but very BIG, cookie sheet. (If you don't have a very large cookie sheet, use two cookie sheets, one for each half of the dough.) Cover the dough with a moist towel and set aside to rise again for another 45 minutes (or longer).

After the dough has risen the second time, preheat the oven to 375 and bake for exactly 23 minutes. If you can keep everyone from digging in right away, allow to cool for about 15 minutes and then enjoy. (Also, before the bread bakes, you can slit the top of each lump of dough a couple of times and brush lightly with some kind of egg substitute. The glaze helps the bread come out with a slightly crunchier crust. I don't usually bother

PS I was looking for vege recipes and found that most Seventh Day Adventist sites have loads of great recipes. This came from vegefood.com

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:54 pm

:wave: Martha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was waiting for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm printing it now!!!!!!!!!

:stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars:

Martha

Post by Martha » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:05 pm

Great Pix, I think you'll love this recipe. Let me know how it turns out and if you would add something to enhance flavor. I did knead mine a little bit.

GoodBoy
...is a Good Boy
Location: I will Pray for Obama... Prayer triumphs over anger.

Post by GoodBoy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:23 pm

I usually add about a teaspoon of Italian seasoning and some fresh rosemary then sprinkle some more rosemary on top before it bakes. It comes out like the bread they serve at the Macaroni Grill with the salted olive oil for dipping.

Ive dumped a can of Rotel tomatoes in my bread mix before along with all sorts of cheese. I have a bread maker I got on close out at Walmart for 15 bucks and that sucker will take anything and make it into bread.

I experiment just to see what will come out. Had to throw some out but it's kinda fun just to see what will happen lol.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:55 pm

Wow, GoodBoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This all sounds BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Martha

Post by Martha » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:12 pm

Italian seasoning and fresh rosemary would be great. Can we make it sour without doing all the complicated starter method?

GoodBoy
...is a Good Boy
Location: I will Pray for Obama... Prayer triumphs over anger.

Post by GoodBoy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:55 pm

I'm not sure how to make it sour. Alton Brown has a recipe for bread where you let it go overnight. That might be as close as you get. I have no clue otherwise.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... index.html