Potato thread

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
Martha

Potato thread

Post by Martha » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:20 pm

Here we can exchange all kinds of recipes from casseroles to potato salad.

Last night I did the Lipton Dry Onion Soup mix. You pare and cut the potatoes quartered or smaller, put some olive oil on the potatoes, then roll them around in the dry mix so they are coated. (I use a plastic bag) then put them on a baking sheet.. 425 for 30 min. Stir them a couple times, so they are toasted on more than one side.
I have also cut them thinly, put them in a fry pan of melted butter and let them cook until you have a nice crust on the bottom, stir, cook some more. These are so good! add a little onion to this.

ToBeannounced

Post by ToBeannounced » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:27 pm

Sounds good Martha.

A variation on this is a little balsamic, olive oil, molasses, rosemary, salt and pepper.

streetsoldier
General von Nuisance

Post by streetsoldier » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:55 pm

Potato salad = the bane of Labor Day gatherings across the fruited plain. :ohwell:

Thankfully, FB doesn't have a recipe for this.

LandLover

Post by LandLover » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:05 pm

Martha, sounds good and I have all of the ingredients for it! I'm going to make it in about an hour to go with my meat-stuffs!

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:37 pm

streetsoldier wrote:Potato salad = the bane of Labor Day gatherings across the fruited plain. :ohwell:

You no like potato salad? :shock: Mine iz good. ;)

College Boy
You can call me College Professor Boy
Location: Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun, or the rain.

Post by College Boy » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:45 pm

When I was at CJ yesterday, I got the fish and chips special. At first I was disappointed to see that the chips were actually chips. Potato chips. But then I discovered that they were still warm from the fryer. Fresh potato chips are good, much better than the stuff you get in a bag. I never would have known.

-Mike

Martha

Post by Martha » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:39 pm

ToBeannounced wrote:Sounds good Martha.

A variation on this is a little balsamic, olive oil, molasses, rosemary, salt and pepper.
So you would add this to the fried potatoes? Hmm, my husband loves molasses, I can't quite imagine this. more info please.

Martha

Post by Martha » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:40 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
streetsoldier wrote:Potato salad = the bane of Labor Day gatherings across the fruited plain. :ohwell:

I have learned to like it, since my husband loves the stuff. Want to share your recipe?

College Boy

Post by College Boy » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:44 pm

I don't like potato salad. I don't even like the smell of potato salad.

-Mike

streetsoldier
General von Nuisance

Post by streetsoldier » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:47 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:

I'm open, CY1...I'd like to try your version. :)

Craig1974

Post by Craig1974 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:29 pm

Kroger Deli makes a Loaded Potato Salad that is awesome.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:34 pm

streetsoldier wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:

Okay, but this is not a definite recipe, so I have no exact measurements.

I do NOT boil the potatoes as this makes them too soggy. I use baking potaoes and do them in the oven. Cook til done. Many as you want. Then boil some eggs. When done, cool eggs in ice water then refrigerate. When the potatoes are cool enough to put in fridge, do so. I don't care if it takes 7 hours, make sure they are cold. This is not German potato salad that is served warm.

First make the egg salad using mayo, salt, pepper. Cut up some onion, peppers, celery and throw in. Set aside. Peel potatoes, cut and put in large bowl, add the egg stuff. The only mayo that goes into this entire recipe is the mayo that goes in the eggs. That's it, done, kaput. Okay now you are going to toss this with extra light olive oil (that's right, this is not a typo) and red wine vinegar. You have to keep tasting it to make sure it is okay. I also add sliced black olives, dill and paprika. Chill before serving. BTW periodically check the date on stored spices, they do have an expiration date, throw out as needed and replace.

ps/if I were going to bake 5 lbs. of potatoes I might boil 6 large eggs.

Martha

Post by Martha » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:41 pm

Sounds great CY1. It has never occurred to me to check the dates of my spices, what a great tip!

Martha

Post by Martha » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:03 pm

I did make potato salad today, but the old-fashioned way. Mayo, apple cider vinegar and prepared mustard, with a dab of sugar or sweet pickle. For myself, I will have cilantro with it - I can put cilantro on anything, just love that stuff.

ToBeannounced

Post by ToBeannounced » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:07 pm

Martha wrote:
ToBeannounced wrote:Sounds good Martha.

So you would add this to the fried potatoes? Hmm, my husband loves molasses, I can't quite imagine this. more info please.
No, no, no. Coat the potatoes with this mixture and then roast in oven approx. 40-45 minutes.

ToBeannounced

Post by ToBeannounced » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:11 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
streetsoldier wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:

I do NOT boil the potatoes as this makes them too soggy. I use baking potaoes and do them in the oven. Cook til done. Many as you want. Then boil some eggs. When done, cool eggs in ice water then refrigerate. When the potatoes are cool enough to put in fridge, do so. I don't care if it takes 7 hours, make sure they are cold. This is not German potato salad that is served warm.

First make the egg salad using mayo, salt, pepper. Cut up some onion, peppers, celery and throw in. Set aside. Peel potatoes, cut and put in large bowl, add the egg stuff. The only mayo that goes into this entire recipe is the mayo that goes in the eggs. That's it, done, kaput. Okay now you are going to toss this with extra light olive oil (that's right, this is not a typo) and red wine vinegar. You have to keep tasting it to make sure it is okay. I also add sliced black olives, dill and paprika. Chill before serving. BTW periodically check the date on stored spices, they do have an expiration date, throw out as needed and replace.

No, no, no. Always but always the potatoes must be tossed in vinegar while still warm or the "tang" that you yearn for in potato salad will never be achieved! :shock:

Martha

Post by Martha » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:08 pm

My husband hates vinegar. I might get away with the balsamic idea tho.

I really don't like to cook. I grew up eating a lot of creamed on toast dishes, like chipped beef, tuna, hamburger,
now that I don't eat meat, I've had to get creative. So if it's esy I'll do it, complicated? forget it. I have simple tastes.

ToBeannounced

Post by ToBeannounced » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:25 pm

Martha wrote:My husband hates vinegar. I might get away with the balsamic idea tho.

I really don't like to cook. I grew up eating a lot of creamed on toast dishes, like chipped beef, tuna, hamburger,
now that I don't eat meat, I've had to get creative. So if it's esy I'll do it, complicated? forget it. I have simple tastes.

Okay Martha. You've inspired me. Watch for my new thread.......tomorrow!

Martha

Post by Martha » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:15 am

ToBeannounced wrote:
Martha wrote:My husband hates vinegar. I might get away with the balsamic idea tho.

Okay Martha. You've inspired me. Watch for my new thread.......tomorrow!
Oh good, can't wait. I do meat dishes, but I also use meat substitutes every chance I get. Hubby likes his meat.

JannyMae

Post by JannyMae » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:20 am

I am noted (among my family and friends) for my potato salad. My sister makes me make it for every party she has. I use vinegar, but I always substitute a small amount of balsamic for part of it. Gives it a subtle but unique flavor.

It's a pain in the butt to make, but it is really tasty!

Martha

Post by Martha » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:26 am

Just cause I'm lazy doesn't mean everybody reading this thread is like me. Feel free to share the recipe if you like. Maybe we should start a potato salad thread, since there are so many different versions.

JannyMae

Post by JannyMae » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:57 am

Martha wrote:
Just cause I'm lazy doesn't mean everybody reading this thread is like me. Feel free to share the recipe if you like. Maybe we should start a potato salad thread, since there are so many different versions.
Good idea...but tomorrow!

fayebeck

Post by fayebeck » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:04 am

I love potatoes.

College Boy

Post by College Boy » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:46 am

iamlookingup wrote:
college boy wrote:I don't like potato salad. I don't even like the smell of potato salad.

-Mike
Ditto. Don't like egg salad, neither. :nono:

BUT...I am glad to see some potato recipes here. My children like potatoes.
Once I get rid of this migraine, I'll post my potato recipes. :)
The smell of egg salad makes me :puke:

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:27 am

college boy wrote:
iamlookingup wrote:
college boy wrote:I don't like potato salad. I don't even like the smell of potato salad.

-Mike

I don't like the smell of it either, but I love the taste. :shock:

ToBeannounced

Post by ToBeannounced » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:30 am

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
college boy wrote:
iamlookingup wrote:

-Mike

Just put chopped, fresh parsley or chopped celery into it to fix that problem.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:35 am

ToBeannounced wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
college boy wrote:
iamlookingup wrote:

-Mike

Once it is put into the potato salad with the oil and vinegar I can no longer smell it anyway. But I do use celery.

Once the eggs are mixed with the potato salad and oil and vinegar, etc. I can no longer smell it anyway. But I do use celery. I don't like parsley.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:37 am

ToBeannounced wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
streetsoldier wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:

No, no, no. Always but always the potatoes must be tossed in vinegar while still warm or the "tang" that you yearn for in potato salad will never be achieved! :shock:
That is weird because the reason everybody loves this potato salad is because it is "tangy." :shock:

ToBeannounced

Post by ToBeannounced » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:38 am

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
ToBeannounced wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
college boy wrote:
iamlookingup wrote:

-Mike

Once it is put into the potato salad with the oil and vinegar I can no longer smell it anyway. But I do use celery.

Once the eggs are mixed with the potato salad and oil and vinegar, etc. I can no longer smell it anyway. But I do use celery. I don't like parsley.
Oh. You're one of those are you? :roll: I'm betting you don't like cilantro either! :cool:

ToBeannounced

Post by ToBeannounced » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:43 am

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
ToBeannounced wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
streetsoldier wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:

That is weird because the reason everybody loves this potato salad is because it is "tangy." :shock:
Cold potatoes will not absorb the flavour of the vinegar.