Chocolate Fudge Cake

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Chocolate Fudge Cake

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:01 am

Does anybody have a recipe for a cake that really taste like fudge? I have tried a few recipes that claimed it was for "fudge", but it was not. None of the cake mixes taste like fudge either even though they label it as such. :-/

ConsrvYank1

Re: Chocolate Fudge Cake

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:58 am

ConsrvYank1 wrote:Does anybody have a recipe for a cake that really taste like fudge? I have tried a few recipes that claimed it was for "fudge", but it was not. None of the cake mixes taste like fudge either even though they label it as such. :-/
BUMP!

Okay, I received no responses for this when first posted, but now it seems we have some real chefs here, so once again I ask.

First of all let me explain. I am definetely not a chocolate lover, but years ago my daughter made this cake, it tasted like fudge candy, and I loved it. She doesn't remember it, so therefore has no recipe. She said it was probably a cake mix, but I doubt it, because I hate cake box cakes. But just for the heck of it I did (ugh) try some of the cake mixes that claimed it was fudge. Nope. I also tried a few from scratch recipes, nope to all of them.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:57 am

:wave: :wave: ConsrvYank1!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think what you're looking for is a flourless, ganache, type cake!!!!!!!!

Here's my favorite recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chocolate Cracked Earth (Flourless Chocolate Cake)

1 pound bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
1 stick unsalted butter*
9 large eggs, separated
3/4 cup granulated sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
2 cups heavy cream, cold
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch springform pan.

Put the chocolate and butter into the top of a double boiler (or in a heatproof bowl) and heat over (but not touching) about 1 inch of simmering water until melted. Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar in a mixing bowl until light yellow in color. Whisk a little of the chocolate mixture into the egg yolk mixture to temper the eggs - this will keep the eggs from scrambling from the heat of the chocolate - then whisk in the rest of the chocolate mixture.

Beat the egg whites in a mixing bowl until stiff peaks form and fold into the chocolate mixture. Pour into the prepared pan and bake until the cake is set, the top starts to crack and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out with moist crumbs clinging to it, 20 to 25 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes, then remove sides of pan.

While the cake is cooking, whip the cream until it becomes light and fluffy.
Serve at room temperature dusted with confectioners' sugar and topped with whipped cream.

I hope this is what you're looking for and I hope you enjoy the recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wave: :wave: :wave:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:17 am

:wave: :wave: :wave: IALU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:07 pm

Pixie wrote::wave: :wave: ConsrvYank1!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think what you're looking for is a flourless, ganache, type cake!!!!!!!!

Here's my favorite recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chocolate Cracked Earth (Flourless Chocolate Cake)

1 pound bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
1 stick unsalted butter*
9 large eggs, separated
3/4 cup granulated sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
2 cups heavy cream, cold
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch springform pan.

Put the chocolate and butter into the top of a double boiler (or in a heatproof bowl) and heat over (but not touching) about 1 inch of simmering water until melted. Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar in a mixing bowl until light yellow in color. Whisk a little of the chocolate mixture into the egg yolk mixture to temper the eggs - this will keep the eggs from scrambling from the heat of the chocolate - then whisk in the rest of the chocolate mixture.

Beat the egg whites in a mixing bowl until stiff peaks form and fold into the chocolate mixture. Pour into the prepared pan and bake until the cake is set, the top starts to crack and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out with moist crumbs clinging to it, 20 to 25 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes, then remove sides of pan.

While the cake is cooking, whip the cream until it becomes light and fluffy.
Serve at room temperature dusted with confectioners' sugar and topped with whipped cream.

I hope this is what you're looking for and I hope you enjoy the recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wave: :wave: :wave:
That sounds good Pixie and I may try that. But the cake I had was definetely a flour made cake. And it was a 2-layer cake, so it was not made in a springform pan. :ohwell:

Margie

Post by Margie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:13 pm

I'm confused. A cake that really tastes like fudge? Fudge has such a different texture than cake that I am having trouble imagining what "fudge" flavor is. Can you be more specific? Do you mean super-chocolatey? Or super-sugary? Or both? Or something else entirely?

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:16 pm

Margie wrote:I'm confused. A cake that really tastes like fudge? Fudge has such a different texture than cake that I am having trouble imagining what "fudge" flavor is. Can you be more specific?
Yes Margie. A lot of boxed cakes and home made cakes state "chocolate fudge" cake. But they all lie. :lol: The one I am referring to taste similar to the way chocolate fudge candy would taste, only in a cake form. I hope that helps.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:23 pm

:wave: Margie! :wave: ConsrvYank1!

Well, it's certainly not ganache????? I'm at a loss but I'll try to do a search and see what I can find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love to cook and bake and so if I can learn something new from this any effort I put forth will be WELL worth it!!!!!!!!!!

:wave:

Margie

Post by Margie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:01 pm

It certainly has me curious to see the recipe that fills the bill!

I have been looking around online and I'm drooling. I'm going to take a peek in my cookbooks.
Last edited by Margie on Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:06 pm

Pixie wrote::wave: Margie! :wave: ConsrvYank1!

Well, it's certainly not ganache????? I'm at a loss but I'll try to do a search and see what I can find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love to cook and bake and so if I can learn something new from this any effort I put forth will be WELL worth it!!!!!!!!!!

I only wish I had of asked my daughter at the time. Stupid, stupid, stupid. :ialu:

Pixie, please don't go to any trouble, because I already searched, tried a few and nada.

Margie

Post by Margie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:47 pm

This is most certainly not THE recipe you're looking for but it looks delicious! Have you tried this one already?
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... AKE-109712

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:52 pm

Margie wrote:This is most certainly not THE recipe you're looking for but it looks delicious! Have you tried this one already?
No, that is not one of the ones I tried. But it does look good. Thanks Margie.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:16 pm

Margie wrote:This is most certainly not THE recipe you're looking for but it looks delicious! Have you tried this one already?
Oh, Margie, that looks good!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:19 pm

TRIPLE CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE (SINFUL)
Printed from COOKS.COM

Unsweetened cocoa
1 (8 oz.) pkg. semi sweet chocolate squares, chopped
1/2 c. butter
1 tsp. instant coffee powder
6 lg. eggs, separated
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
Sugar
1 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
Chocolate Glaze Chocolate Drizzle

Early in day or day ahead: 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 9 x 3 spring form pan. Line bottom with waxed paper; grease paper and dust with cocoa. Wrap outside and bottom of pan with heavy duty foil. 2. In small sauce pan over low heat, melt chocolate and butter, stirring frequently. In cup, mix instant coffee with 1/4 cup water. 3. In small bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and 1/2 cup sugar to stiff peaks. 4. In large bowl, beat egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar until thick and lemon colored; stir in flour, vanilla, salt, chocolate mixture, coffee mixture and 1/3 cup cocoa. Fold beaten egg whites into yolk mixture. Pour batter into pan.

5. Set pan in 15 1/2 by 10 1/2 roasting pan. Fill roasting pan with boiling water to come halfway up side of pan. Bake for 45 minutes (mixture will be slightly soft in center). Remove pan from roasting pan, cool in pan on rack. Remove side of pan; invert cake on plate. Discard waxed paper. 6. Prepare glaze, evenly spread warm glaze on cake. 7. Prepare drizzle. Pour melted milk chocolate mixture and white chocolate mixture into separate small decorating bags with small writing tubes, drizzle chocolates on top of cake with toothpick, lightly run through drizzle to make pretty design. 8. To serve, dip knife into hot water and dry quickly. The heated blade will cut through cake without sticking. Make 16 servings.

CHOCOLATE GLAZE:

1/2 c. semi sweet chocolate pieces
2 tbsp. butter

3 tbsp. milk
2 tbsp. light corn syrup

CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE:

1 (1.55 oz.) bar milk chocolate
1 tsp. shortening

2 oz. white chocolate (I use vanilla chips)
1 tsp. shortening

You said you didn't use a spring form pan but this one looks good.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:21 pm

TRIPLE CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE
Printed from COOKS.COM

1 c. butter, softened
1 1/2 c. sugar
4 eggs
1 c. buttermilk
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 1/2 c. flour
2 (4 oz.) bars sweet baking chocolate, melted and cooled
1 c. chocolate syrup
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate mini-morsels
4 oz. white chocolate, chopped
2 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. shortening

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Heavily grease and flour 10 inch Bundt pan. Cream butter, gradually add sugar, beating well at medium speed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
Combine buttermilk and soda, stirring well. Add to creamed mixture alternately with flour. Add melted chocolate, chocolate syrup and vanilla; mix well. Stir in 1 cup of mini-morsels.

Turn into prepared pan and bake 1 hour and 15-20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Invert cake immediately onto serving plate - allow to cool completely.

Combine white chocolate and 2 tablespoons of shortening in top of double boiler. Cook over low heat until melted. Remove from heat. Using a spoon, drizzle mixture over cooled cake. Melt 1/2 cup mini morsels and 2 teaspoons shortening in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and let cool; drizzle over white chocolate. Enjoy!!

This one calls for a bundt pan!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:23 pm

DUTCH TRIPLE FUDGE CAKE
Printed from COOKS.COM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 lg. pkg. chocolate pudding
1 pkg. chocolate cake mix
1/2 c. nuts
1 (12 oz.) pkg. chocolate chips

Cook pudding according to directions on package. Slowly add dry cake mix to pudding and stir until well blended. Pour batter into greased and floured 9"x13" pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts on top. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and spread chocolate chips with a knife.

Well, this couldn't be anymore simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I'll try it myself, it's too easy not to!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:27 pm

Chocolate Fudge Cake Recipe courtesy Nigella Lawson

For the cake:

2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup best-quality cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sour cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/2 cup corn oil
1 1/3 cups chilled water

For the fudge icing:

6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, minimum 70 percent cocoa solids
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted

For the cake:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and line the bottom of 2 (8-inch) cake pans.

In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugars, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl or wide-necked measuring cup whisk together the eggs, sour cream and vanilla until blended. Using a standing or handheld electric mixer, beat together the melted butter and corn oil until just blended (you'll need another large bowl for this is using the hand mixer; the standing mixer comes with its own bowl), then beat in the water. Add the dry ingredients all at once and mix together on a slow speed. Add the egg mixture, and mix again until everything is blended and then pour into the prepared tins. And actually, you could easily do this manually; I just like my toys and find the stand mixer a comforting presence in itself.

Bake the cakes for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a cake-tester comes out clean. Cool the cakes in their pans on a wire rack for 15 minutes, and then turn the cakes out on the rack to cool completely.

For the icing:

Melt the chocolate in the microwave - 2 to 3 minutes on medium should do it - or in a bowl sitting over a pan of simmering water, and let cool slightly.

In another bowl beat the butter until it's soft and creamy (again, I use the stand mixer here) and then add the sifted confectioners' sugar and beat again until everything's light and fluffy. I know sifting is a pain, the 1 job in the kitchen I really hate, but you have to do it or the icing will be unsoothingly lumpy. Then gently add the vanilla and chocolate and mix together until everything is glossy and smooth.

Sandwich the middle of the cake with about a quarter of the icing, and then ice the top and sides, too, spreading and smoothing with a rubber spatula.

I have always liked Nigella's recipes!!!!!!!! They always come out good!!!!!!

Margie

Post by Margie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:01 pm

LOL Pixie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been having fun "cruising" the chocolate fudge cake recipes on the net, as you obviously have too!!!!! :ohyeah:

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:33 pm

This thread needs . . .

streetsoldier
General von Nuisance

Post by streetsoldier » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:38 pm

<--<<< doesn't like fudge cake

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:54 pm

Pixie wrote:Chocolate Fudge Cake Recipe courtesy Nigella Lawson

For the cake:

2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup best-quality cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sour cream
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/2 cup corn oil
1 1/3 cups chilled water

For the fudge icing:

6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, minimum 70 percent cocoa solids
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted

For the cake:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and line the bottom of 2 (8-inch) cake pans.

In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugars, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl or wide-necked measuring cup whisk together the eggs, sour cream and vanilla until blended. Using a standing or handheld electric mixer, beat together the melted butter and corn oil until just blended (you'll need another large bowl for this is using the hand mixer; the standing mixer comes with its own bowl), then beat in the water. Add the dry ingredients all at once and mix together on a slow speed. Add the egg mixture, and mix again until everything is blended and then pour into the prepared tins. And actually, you could easily do this manually; I just like my toys and find the stand mixer a comforting presence in itself.

Bake the cakes for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a cake-tester comes out clean. Cool the cakes in their pans on a wire rack for 15 minutes, and then turn the cakes out on the rack to cool completely.

For the icing:

Melt the chocolate in the microwave - 2 to 3 minutes on medium should do it - or in a bowl sitting over a pan of simmering water, and let cool slightly.

In another bowl beat the butter until it's soft and creamy (again, I use the stand mixer here) and then add the sifted confectioners' sugar and beat again until everything's light and fluffy. I know sifting is a pain, the 1 job in the kitchen I really hate, but you have to do it or the icing will be unsoothingly lumpy. Then gently add the vanilla and chocolate and mix together until everything is glossy and smooth.

Sandwich the middle of the cake with about a quarter of the icing, and then ice the top and sides, too, spreading and smoothing with a rubber spatula.

I have always liked Nigella's recipes!!!!!!!! They always come out good!!!!!!
Thanks a million Pixie. I think I will pick this one to try because the one my daughter made was done in round cake pans such as in this recipe. One of the recipes calls for white chocolate and I am afraid I really don't like white chocolate. Plus all the recipes I experimented with, none of them called for cocoa, and this one does, so that's good. The only thing I question in my mind is, is a quarter cup of cocoa enough to give a really fudge taste?

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:32 pm

Margie wrote:LOL Pixie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been having fun "cruising" the chocolate fudge cake recipes on the net, as you obviously have too!!!!! :ohyeah:
Yep, me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can read recipes all day long!!!!!!!!!!!! It calms me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wave: :wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:35 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:This thread needs . . .

:lol:

:agree:

:thumbsup:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:39 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:Thanks a million Pixie. I think I will pick this one to try because the one my daughter made was done in round cake pans such as in this recipe. One of the recipes calls for white chocolate and I am afraid I really don't like white chocolate. Plus all the recipes I experimented with, none of them called for cocoa, and this one does, so that's good. The only thing I question in my mind is, is a quarter cup of cocoa enough to give a really fudge taste?
If I may make a suggestion, don't go to the grocery store for your cocoa powder. Go to a store like Williams-Sonoma, as they will have a larger variety of cocoa powders, that will have high cocoa content, making for a richer cake.

I hope this works for you!!!!!!!!!!!! If not, let Margie and me know and we'll be ready for round two!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

Margie

Post by Margie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:34 pm

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...let us know how it turns out ConservYank!

Here's a nice selection of chocolate cake recipes:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/RecList?subcat=C625
I am getting weak...

Pixie! :wave:

Margie

Post by Margie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:01 pm

streetsoldier wrote:<--<<< doesn't like fudge cake
:shock:

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:05 pm

<--<<< doesn't believe you.

streetsoldier
General von Nuisance

Post by streetsoldier » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:50 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:
Ask FB or the Clown Prince; I won't touch it.

GoodBoy
...is a Good Boy
Location: I will Pray for Obama... Prayer triumphs over anger.

Post by GoodBoy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:59 pm

streetsoldier wrote:
StarryNightDave wrote:
Ask FB or the Clown Prince; I won't touch it.
In Soviet Russia, Cake touches YOU.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:56 am

StarryNightDave wrote:
:lol: You guys are too funny! :lol:

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: