Uncle Dave's Quick Chicken Soup

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
StarryNightDave
Mentative

Uncle Dave's Quick Chicken Soup

Post by StarryNightDave » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:27 pm

I've made this many times and the family loves it. Many super markets are now selling pre-cooked chickens. Here's what I do . . .

1 or 2 pre-cooked chickens - use your fingers and take all the meat off the bones
1 big 64 oz can fat free chicken stock (broth) or you can use the one with free fat.
1 medium onion chopped fine - this is to blend into the broth with no "chunks" left
3 to 4 carrots, or more if you like, cut into bite size pieces
3 to 4 celery stalks cut into bite size pieces
1 14oz (?) can of diced tomatoes (not the stewed kind)
YOUR CHOICE OF
...4 to 5 potatoes skinned and cubed
...1 lb bag of egg noodles
...other pasta

My Spice Mix:
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder (yes, I now you already have onions, but it works great)
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 dash cinnamon
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon ground time
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon allspice (optional)

METHOD:
First, mix all the spices into a small bowl and mix with a teaspoon.
In a medium to large stock pot, saute the onion, celery, and carrot in olive oil till the onion is transparent. Do this on medium low - don't brown the veggies. Next, add the meat and saute just till warm. Add about half of the spice mixture to the meat and sauted veggies and let the spices cook into the meat for about 2 minutes. Then add the can of diced tomatoes and saute till the liquid evaporates a little.

Add to this the chicken stock and bring to a boil and add the rest of the spice mix. That creates the soup. Next you will cook the starch you selected. I would highly recommend cooking noodles in a separate pot of water, drain, and then add them to the soup. Otherwise, the noodles suck up all of the broth. You don't really need to let this cook much longer than it takes to finish the vegetables or pasta you add because the chicken is already cooked and you are using the canned chicken broth. If you do cook it for a while, you might want to add water to account for evaporation. Test for seasoning right before serving - you will probably have to add some more salt.

Potatoes are good, but a bother to skin and dice. I've also used very small pasta for soups with good results. This makes a hearty stew-like soup that is great on cold winter nights. I like to serve this with a good loaf of french bread.

Once you have the method down it's easy to experiment with different ingredients.

powdersdry

Re: Uncle Dave's Quick Chicken Soup

Post by powdersdry » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:35 pm

great recipe Dave, but I had a little trouble with:
StarryNightDave wrote:1 teaspoon ground time
All I got was:

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:58 pm

I have a very similar recipe. In the spice mix, I substitute the allspice and nutmeg for 1/2 tsp of cumin, just a preference kinda thing. :)

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:23 pm

Sounds good, Dave.

Could I put some cooked rice in it instead of pasta or potatoes?