Friendship Soup in a Jar (Extremely Tasty Hearty Soup!)

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
RowdieGal

Friendship Soup in a Jar (Extremely Tasty Hearty Soup!)

Post by RowdieGal » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:22 am

Someone mentioned All Recipes as a great site for different recipes and I couldn't agree more. Not only do they have recipes, they have recipes for the type of cooking you want to do. (i.e., baked chicken, fried chicken, chicken casseroles, etc, etc.)

The recipe below can be given as a gift. I took a photo of my Friendship Soup in a Jar a few years ago and submitted it to the site. I was happy when they used it! I went to Wal-Mart and bought potpourri jars. The layers were a perfect fit for the size and I tied a ribbon around the knob on top.

I also adjusted the recipe slightly from the original from another reviewer's comments. (less tomatoes were her suggestion)

If you just want to make the recipe, I can tell you it makes a TON of soup! You'll have plenty to freeze and use on another cold day. Pair this with my Beer Bread and it makes for a nice hearty lunch or dinner. Here is the soup:

Friendship Soup in a Jar

Ingredients:

* 1/2 cup dry split peas
* 1/3 cup beef bouillon granules
* 1/4 cup pearl barley
* 1/2 cup dry lentils
* 1/4 cup dried onion flakes
* 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
* 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
* 2 bay leaves
* 1/2 cup uncooked alphabet pasta (or small pasta)

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a 1 1/2 pint jar, layer the split peas, bouillon, barley, lentils, onion flakes, Italian seasoning, rice, and bay leaves. Wrap the pasta in plastic wrap, and place in the jar. Seal tightly.

2. Attach a label to the jar with the following instructions: Friendship Soup ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS: 1 pound ground beef, black pepper to taste, 1 tbsp. of minced garlic, 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes - undrained, 2 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce, and 3 quarts water. TO PREPARE SOUP: Remove pasta from top of jar, and set aside. In a large pot over medium heat, brown beef with pepper and garlic; drain excess fat. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, and soup mix. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover, and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir in the pasta, cover, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or until the pasta, peas, lentils and barley are tender.

Enjoy!

apeptlchamp
Double BS

Post by apeptlchamp » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:46 am

Ooh, it looks far too decorative to eat. :)

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:40 am

Gee, that is a great gift for a friend! I think I will make those. Thank you!