Chinese garlic stems? ? ?

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
StarryNightDave
Mentative

Chinese garlic stems? ? ?

Post by StarryNightDave » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:49 pm

OK,

I never heard about this, so I thought I would ask you guys if you have.

My Son, Chris, is back home from China for the Thanksgiving holiday. The other night he made dinner for us to show us what he learned in China. But, he was not able to find one major ingredient - the green stems that grow above the garlic bulb. He said, when they are properly prepared, they are simply heaven.

He visited a local oriental grocery, but it was Korean, not Chinese. Anyone else ever use or heard of using this part of the garlic plant?

Here is a little blurb I found about them from http://www.innvista.com/health/foods/ve ... garlic.htm . . .

Chinese garlic stems, garlic flower stems, green garlic
suan tai (Chinese), shen sum (Korean)
(Allium sativum)

Chinese garlic has a symmetrical bulb in thin purple or silver skin, but has little flavour. Its stems should not be confused with the inedible fibrous tops of curled garlic often found at Farmer's Markets and specialty markets. These greens are about a foot long and not hollow like the green onions. They are solid and about the width of a pencil. If snapped or cut, the aroma is unmistakably garlic. In China, garlic flower stems are a side product of the garlic bulb of strains known to produce them. The bulbs are cultivated in the usual way, but the flower stems are cut in early summer when they are green and harvested very carefully so that the bulb will not be damaged and can be left to mature. The stems are usually twelve to eighteen inches in length and sold in bundles. They are too strong for most people to use raw; but, if quickly cooked, they are an excellent addition to dishes requiring a hint or two of garlic.

But - I think these are what we call chives. Right?

College Boy
You can call me College Professor Boy
Location: Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun, or the rain.

Post by College Boy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:52 pm

I heard of this on Emeril. Try the Food Network pantry.

-Mike