Canned cranberry sauce

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:44 am

Carl wrote:
tattulip wrote:
DDoll wrote:What? The mold of the tin can it plops out of not good enough for you?
My oldest son is the only one of the kids who eats that stuff. One year I sliced the jelly into neat little slices and set it on the table. He didn't like it that way, it had to go on the table in the shape of the can. :roll: I know Thanksgiving is all about tradition but sheesh! :lol: So now it goes on the table in the shape of a can and I risk life and limb getting it out of the can in that shape. Wish me luck!
Easy. Open Can. Turn upside down on plate. Open other end. Keep lid in place. Hold down lid with spoon (or other long object) and lift can.

Don't forget to remove lid sitting on top.
That's what I do Carl, it works every time.

DSMBaptist
Perma-Newb™
Location: Destroying the New World Order and putting NEOCONS in their place!

Post by DSMBaptist » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:50 pm

Phaedrus wrote:
StarryNightDave wrote:I actually prefer the Ocean Spray cranberry sauce right out of the can. My mother and grandmother always wanted to make the stuff and it would have these berries and skins all through it. As a kid, I never liked those "things" in my cranberry sauce. But, my mother and grandmother seemed to love "things" suspended in jellied substances.
I use Carl's method which I learned from feeding my dog canned dog food when I was a kid. Man! Do we have a lot in common. Ocean Spray and NO freaky olde timey cranberry sauce with "thing" in it. I'm not that old.

Ocean Spray in a can. Anything else sucks. Molds are for prisses.
Hey, speaking as one who has IBS...those "things" contain fiber...eat up! ;)

K-Man
DUmpster Diver

Post by K-Man » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:59 pm

Carl wrote:Easy. Open Can. Turn upside down on plate. Open other end. Keep lid in place. Hold down lid with spoon (or other long object) and lift can.

Don't forget to remove lid sitting on top.
The can I bought had only one end that fit in the can opener. The other end was rounded off. :-? I just used the old "run-the-knife-around-the-inside" trick. Works every time.

antiantiAmericans

Post by antiantiAmericans » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:33 pm

EileenRight wrote:Here's a recipe for an easy Orange-Cranberry Jello Mold

1 lg. box orange jello
1 can jellied cranberry sauce
1 cup hot water
1 cup cold water (you can also use orange juice)

in a large bowl, dissolve cranberry sauce and jello in hot water. add cold water (or juice) and mix well. pour into mold.

when partially set, you can add diced celery, mandarin oranges, and/or diced apples, if desired.
We tried yours. It looked good for about 2 minutes after it came out of the mold... then spontaneously dissolved into cranberry relish. Still tasted good though.

EileenRight

Post by EileenRight » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:29 pm

antiantiAmericans wrote:
EileenRight wrote:Here's a recipe for an easy Orange-Cranberry Jello Mold

1 lg. box orange jello
1 can jellied cranberry sauce
1 cup hot water
1 cup cold water (you can also use orange juice)

in a large bowl, dissolve cranberry sauce and jello in hot water. add cold water (or juice) and mix well. pour into mold.

when partially set, you can add diced celery, mandarin oranges, and/or diced apples, if desired.
We tried yours. It looked good for about 2 minutes after it came out of the mold... then spontaneously dissolved into cranberry relish. Still tasted good though.
Now I feel bad. Sorry it didn't work for you.

antiantiAmericans

Post by antiantiAmericans » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:56 pm

Oh, don't feel bad. It was delicious, and it was all eaten. I hear from the kitchen it was probably a technical error on our end. :lol:

DSMBaptist
Perma-Newb™
Location: Destroying the New World Order and putting NEOCONS in their place!

Re: Canned cranberry sauce

Post by DSMBaptist » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:43 pm

Out of sheer curiosity, I decided to peek at the old posts and came across this thread. Well, I did a google search, and I think that I came up with a decent recipie that actually sounds a lot like AAA's original question:
Molded Cranberry Sauce Posted by Editor at The Food Channel® From The Kitchens of The Food Channel Prep Time:
25 minutesCook Time:
8 hoursServes:
16 Tagged: williams-sonoma, cranberry sauce, Thanksgiving, entertaining, holiday, christmas, cranberry mold, gelatin, Orange Juice, fresh cranberries, Oranges,
A delicious alternative to traditional cranberry sauce, this mold makes a beautiful presentation at the table. It is a natural partner for the Thanksgiving turkey and also makes a wonderful accompaniment to roasted pork.

Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma.

Ingredients
1 pound fresh cranberries
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
Zest of 2 oranges
2/3 cup fresh orange juice
Pinch of salt
2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold water
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
Preparation
1Lightly coat the inside of a ceramic cranberry mold with nonstick cooking spray.

2In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the cranberries, sugar, orange zest, orange juice, salt and the 2/3 cup water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and the cranberries have burst, about 15 minutes.

3Meanwhile, pour the 2 tablespoons water into a small bowl and sprinkle with the gelatin. Let stand until the gelatin softens and swells, 5 to 10 minutes.

4Spoon 1/2 cup of the juices from the cranberries into the gelatin and stir until the gelatin has dissolved. Pour the gelatin mixture into the cranberry mixture and stir to combine. Pour the cranberry mixture into the prepared mold and let cool to room temperature. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or up to overnight.

5To unmold, dip the mold into a large bowl of warm water so the water reaches almost to the rim of the mold. Remove from the water and run a small paring knife or spatula around the inside of the mold to loosen it. Place a serving platter upside down on top of the mold, invert the platter and mold together and shake gently. Then lift off the mold. Serves 12 to 16.
cranberrymold_medium_medium.jpg

http://www.foodchannel.com/recipes/1522 ... uce-/print

AAA...is this what you've been looking for? :dunno: