Canned cranberry sauce

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
antiantiAmericans

Canned cranberry sauce

Post by antiantiAmericans » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:10 am

Is there a way to form this stuff in a mold?

DDoll
A Blessing From the Lord

Post by DDoll » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:13 am

What? The mold of the tin can it plops out of not good enough for you?

antiantiAmericans

Post by antiantiAmericans » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:27 am

It is for me...

streetsoldier
General von Nuisance

Post by streetsoldier » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:34 am

If you get a set of X-Acto knives, and line three or more canned-cranberry molds together, there are hundreds of delightful creations you can make to adorn your Thanksgiving table. :mrgreen:

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:28 am

If you really love cranberry sauce; try making your own. I did it one year and it was out of this world.

BUT, it takes hours and hours of boiling the cranberries; they are very hard.

Elvie

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:36 am

The turkey is only an excuse to eat cranberry sauce.

NewEnglandEd
Abbi's Dad

Post by NewEnglandEd » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:32 am

Fatherducque wrote:The turkey is only an excuse to eat cranberry sauce.

Who needs an excuse... :mrgreen:

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:34 am

Elvera wrote:If you really love cranberry sauce; try making your own. I did it one year and it was out of this world.

Elvie
:shock: No - sugar, water, cranberries - boil one half hour for cranberry sauce.

Carl

Post by Carl » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:20 am

The only good thing I can say about cranberry sauce is that with everybody else eating it, it leaves more turkey for me.

:mrgreen:

jjjen

Post by jjjen » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:35 am

I love the canned cranberry sauce (with turkey) but we've always had this for Thanksgiving:

Cranberry Fluff

3 bags fresh cranberries
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cans pinapple bits(not drained)
16 oz mini marshmellows

grind cranberries, mix together with sugar, pineapples and marshmellows. Let sit overnight.

In the morning whip 4 small or 2 big cartons heavy whipping cream until peaks form. Add to cranberry mixture.

I think I'll put this in the recipe forum, too!

GoodBoy
...is a Good Boy
Location: I will Pray for Obama... Prayer triumphs over anger.

Post by GoodBoy » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:41 am

Cranberry sauce in a can will melt if you heat it... I suppose you could melt it down over low heat and then pour it in the mold and see if it will solidify again in the fridge. Its already got gelatin in it... worth a try.

I'm guessing you could also cook the cranberries.. say..a 1/2 lb with 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup of water..Double it if you need more. just cook them till they pop.. you'll know when. Mix them with some unflavored gelatin mix per instructions on the gelatin box.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:33 am

I can still hear my mother CURSING on holidays because the g*&^$ *&%*$ cranberry sauce wouldn't come out of the mold all in one piece.

I actually prefer the Ocean Spray cranberry sauce right out of the can. About the hardest thing to do is get it out of the can in one piece. I use a sharp knife and poke holes in the bottom to let air in, and it plops out in one piece.

My mother and grandmother always wanted to make the stuff and it would have these berries and skins all through it. As a kid, I never liked those "things" in my cranberry sauce. But, my mother and grandmother seemed to love "things" suspended in jellied substances.

My grandmother would always make this stuff that I still can't eat - and I eat everything! (Now, this is going back to the mid 1960s when Jello was king.) It was a lemon jello with walnuts and celery suspended inside. There was another "jello" dish they would make that wasn't too bad with a pudding on the bottom, lime jello on top, and cherries every 2 inches on top. But, they still had to put the freakin' walnuts in it!

I just want to know who it was that got up one morning and said, "You know, I think I'll put celery in lemon jello!" I have something I'd like to give them . . .

ImageImageImage

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:36 am

We used to always eat Carrot Salad.

2 boxes of orange jello
1 box lemon jello
3 carrots grated
1 can crushed pineapple, juice and all.

Make jello according to directions and when it is partially set, add the carrots and fruit.

It is really pretty refreshing and good.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:51 am

tattulip wrote:We used to always eat Carrot Salad.

2 boxes of orange jello
1 box lemon jello
3 carrots grated

Make jello according to directions and when it is partially set, add the carrots and fruit.

Yeah - they made that stuff too. I think it was some kind of sick plot to get kids to eat fruit and vegetables. They should have a photo of jello salad next to the phrase, "Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you HAVE TO do it," in the encyclopedia.

spottedeagleboy

Post by spottedeagleboy » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:21 am

Is that all you people think about is sex?

Carl

Post by Carl » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:29 am

spottedeagleboy wrote:Is that all you people think about is sex?
Is there something else?

Jarhead

Post by Jarhead » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:50 am

Carl wrote:The only good thing I can say about cranberry sauce is that with everybody else eating it, it leaves more turkey for me.

Damn, it had to be you Carl. I thought that my plot to have every one else eating that disgusting red shiite would allow me to conquer all of the Turkey, but no, you, YOU interrupt my plans.

Carl

Post by Carl » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:54 am

Jarhead wrote:
Carl wrote:The only good thing I can say about cranberry sauce is that with everybody else eating it, it leaves more turkey for me.

Damn, it had to be you Carl. I thought that my plot to have every one else eating that disgusting red shiite would allow me to conquer all of the Turkey, but no, you, YOU interrupt my plans.

At last. You have finally succumbed to the Darkside. With white meat.

Jarhead

Post by Jarhead » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:56 am

Alright we go 50/50 on the Turkey. Ready...begin.

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:07 pm

Carl wrote:
spottedeagleboy wrote:Is that all you people think about is sex?
Is there something else?
Evidently, sex goes better with cranberry sauce.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet

Post by tattulip » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:10 pm

DDoll wrote:What? The mold of the tin can it plops out of not good enough for you?
My oldest son is the only one of the kids who eats that stuff. One year I sliced the jelly into neat little slices and set it on the table. He didn't like it that way, it had to go on the table in the shape of the can. :roll: I know Thanksgiving is all about tradition but sheesh! :lol: So now it goes on the table in the shape of a can and I risk life and limb getting it out of the can in that shape. Wish me luck!

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:12 pm

tattulip wrote:
DDoll wrote:What? The mold of the tin can it plops out of not good enough for you?
My oldest son is the only one of the kids who eats that stuff. One year I sliced the jelly into neat little slices and set it on the table. He didn't like it that way, it had to go on the table in the shape of the can. :roll: I know Thanksgiving is all about tradition but sheesh! :lol: So now it goes on the table in the shape of a can and I risk life and limb getting it out of the can in that shape. Wish me luck!
Just poke holes in the bottom to let the air in.

Carl

Post by Carl » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:13 pm

tattulip wrote:
Easy. Open Can. Turn upside down on plate. Open other end. Keep lid in place. Hold down lid with spoon (or other long object) and lift can.

Don't forget to remove lid sitting on top.

kudzuisedible
Location: Joining the Obama Agenda Resistance Movement at http://www.resistnet.com/

Post by kudzuisedible » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:17 pm

Elvera wrote:If you really love cranberry sauce; try making your own. I did it one year and it was out of this world.

Elvie
Sounds really good. We take the common shortcut - fresh cranberries and fresh oranges. The wife reduces both to super sweet-sour-crunchy bits for a great holiday salad. Better in every way than the canned stuff (which we still buy in quantity because it's still pretty good.)

Cranberry Orange Relish, mmmhmhm.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:58 pm

2 boxes of orange jello
1 box lemon jello
3 carrots grated

That is mandatory Iowa cuisine. I don't think I have ever spent more that 30 minutes in the Midwest without being offered some. I love it!

Don't you add a little finely chopped celery?

I suspect that the Iowa National Guard has little envelopes of carrot salad in their MREs.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet

Post by tattulip » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:02 pm

Fatherducque wrote:

2 boxes of orange jello
1 box lemon jello
3 carrots grated

That is mandatory Iowa cuisine. I don't think I have ever spent more that 30 minutes in the Midwest without being offered some. I love it!

Don't you add a little finely chopped celery?

I suspect that the Iowa National Guard has little envelopes of carrot salad in their MREs.
No, not a big celery fan.

DSMBaptist
Perma-Newb™
Location: Destroying the New World Order and putting NEOCONS in their place!

Post by DSMBaptist » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:00 pm

jjjen wrote:I love the canned cranberry sauce (with turkey) but we've always had this for Thanksgiving:

Cranberry Fluff

3 bags fresh cranberries
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cans pinapple bits(not drained)
16 oz mini marshmellows

grind cranberries, mix together with sugar, pineapples and marshmellows. Let sit overnight.

In the morning whip 4 small or 2 big cartons heavy whipping cream until peaks form. Add to cranberry mixture.

I think I'll put this in the recipe forum, too!
MOM! I didn't know you were a member on this forum!!

(That was one of my Mom's regulars for years...thanks for posting that Rx!) ;) :clap:

DSMBaptist
Perma-Newb™
Location: Destroying the New World Order and putting NEOCONS in their place!

Post by DSMBaptist » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:26 pm

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/he ... 359534.php
Research cites health benefits of cranberries
Cranberries are among the top foods for proven health benefits, according to Amy Howell, a researcher at Rutgers University. They are full of antioxidants, which protect cells from damage by unstable molecules called free radicals.

The National Institutes of Health is funding research on the berry's effects on heart disease, yeast infections and other conditions, and other researchers are investigating its potential against cancer, stroke and viral infections.

So far, research has found:

•Drinking cranberry juice can block urinary infections by binding to bacteria so they can't adhere to cell walls.

•A compound Howell found in cranberries, proanthocyanidine, prevents plaque formation on teeth.

•In some people, regular cranberry juice consumption for months can kill the H. pylori bacteria, which can cause stomach cancer and ulcers.

•Preliminary research also shows: Drinking cranberry juice daily may increase levels of HDL, or good cholesterol, and reduce levels of LDL, or bad cholesterol. Cranberries might prevent tumors from growing rapidly or starting.

CONTACT US: Sources: AP interviews and medical journals.

I also remember a few years back a statement was made that cranberry juice can also enhance memory. They discovered this when a woman was raped, but could not remember her attacker. While the police were questioning her, a policeman assisting at the scene went to the lady's fridge, where she had a glass of cranberry juice sitting on the shelf. The police officer gave her the juice, she drank it, and within minutes, her memory came back, and to make a long story short, the creep was arrested and tried and convicted! Later, some studies were done, and the scientists concluded that indeed, there are some memory enhancers in cranberry juice :cool:

EileenRight

Post by EileenRight » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:51 pm

Here's a recipe for an easy Orange-Cranberry Jello Mold

1 lg. box orange jello
1 can jellied cranberry sauce
1 cup hot water
1 cup cold water (you can also use orange juice)

in a large bowl, dissolve cranberry sauce and jello in hot water. add cold water (or juice) and mix well. pour into mold.

when partially set, you can add diced celery, mandarin oranges, and/or diced apples, if desired.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:36 am

StarryNightDave wrote:I actually prefer the Ocean Spray cranberry sauce right out of the can. My mother and grandmother always wanted to make the stuff and it would have these berries and skins all through it. As a kid, I never liked those "things" in my cranberry sauce. But, my mother and grandmother seemed to love "things" suspended in jellied substances.
I use Carl's method which I learned from feeding my dog canned dog food when I was a kid. Man! Do we have a lot in common. Ocean Spray and NO freaky olde timey cranberry sauce with "thing" in it. I'm not that old.

Ocean Spray in a can. Anything else sucks. Molds are for prisses.