Fried Green Tomatoes

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Fried Green Tomatoes

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:26 pm

I have never had them, and have heard they are very good. Does anybody have a recipe, and btw, where do you get the green tomatoes? I have never seen them in a grocery store.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:49 pm

My grandmother used to make them for us when I was little. Very similar to fried eggplant. Try this one from www.allrecipes.com . . .

Fried Green Tomatoes

INGREDIENTS

* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon pepper
* 5 green tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
* 1 cup crushed saltine crackers
* 2 eggs, beaten
* 1/2 cup butter

DIRECTIONS

1. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, salt and pepper. Place the crushed saltine crackers in another bowl, and the beaten eggs in a third bowl.
2. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Dip each tomato slice in the egg to coat, then in the flour mixture. Dip the floured tomato slice back into the egg, and then into the cracker crumbs. Place the coated tomato slices in the hot skillet, and fry until golden brown on each side, about 3 to 5 minutes per side. Add more butter to the pan, if necessary. Serve hot!

annie

Post by annie » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:58 pm

Dave, I tried this recipe for fried green tomatoes and they were yummy!

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:37 pm

annie wrote:Dave, I tried this recipe for fried green tomatoes and they were yummy!
Great, except for where do you buy green tomatoes? I have never seen them in the grocery store.

Carl

Post by Carl » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:07 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
annie wrote:Dave, I tried this recipe for fried green tomatoes and they were yummy!
Great, except for where do you buy green tomatoes? I have never seen them in the grocery store.
Get the red ones, and wait until they turn green again.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:58 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
This was used mostly by people who grow their own tomatoes. You can pick them when they are green.

Basically, I think that if you batter-coat most any food, fry it up, and add salt and pepper - it will taste pretty good. Mainly it's the fat and salt. ;)

Charybdis
I was "Tea Party" before it became fashionable

Post by Charybdis » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:12 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
This was used mostly by people who grow their own tomatoes. You can pick them when they are green.

Basically, I think that if you batter-coat most any food, fry it up, and add salt and pepper - it will taste pretty good. Mainly it's the fat and salt. ;)
Bingo!

At one of the annual fairs in my state, they started selling deep-fried Twinkies a while back. Talk about heart-attack on a stick!

They're a top-seller every year. :lol:

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:49 am

StarryNightDave wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:

I had a thought. Maybe I can stop at one of the veggie stands along the road and order some.

SuzyQcsu

Post by SuzyQcsu » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:32 pm

I don't think I could EVER eat fried green tomatos after seeing the movie :puke:

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:33 am

SuzyQcsu wrote:I don't think I could EVER eat fried green tomatos after seeing the movie :puke:
You didn't like that movie? :ohwell:

Charybdis
I was "Tea Party" before it became fashionable

Post by Charybdis » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:25 pm

tattulip wrote:
SuzyQcsu wrote:I don't think I could EVER eat fried green tomatos after seeing the movie :puke:
You didn't like that movie? :ohwell:
It was a good movie. It just makes us both think of grilled man-steaks! :shock:

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:13 pm

Yeah that was disgusting!